Are AD & KD really better playmakers than Giannis?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Are AD & KD better facilitators than Giannis?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 5, 2022 3:19 am

Yes, they are
20%
Nope, they dont watch actual games
80%

Total votes: 109

Oscar9992
Analyst
And1: 2,904

Are AD & KD really better playmakers than Giannis? 

Post#1 » by Oscar9992 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:19 am

Folks in this forum claim AD & KD are better passers, playmakers & facilitators than Giannis (just like Rich Paul)...

But is this a true or false claim?
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,008

Re: Are AD & KD really better playmakers than Giannis? 

Post#2 » by MrSparkle » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:21 am

Well KD certainly was...

AD? Absolutely not.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,498

Post#3 » by GregOden » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:35 am

Giannis has bigger hands than Kawhi, they allow him to easily control the ball and recover while trying things off the dribble. Whereas AD's manlet hands really limit his ballhandling.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,138

Post#4 » by Impuniti » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:45 am

KD is a vastly better playmaker and it's not close. AD and Giannis are both below mediocre to even matter whose better.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,131

Post#5 » by CodeBreaker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:00 am

KD > Giannis > AD

as plamyakers
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#6 » by Pennebaker » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:29 am

Oscar9992 wrote:Folks in this forum claim AD & KD are better passers, playmakers & facilitators than Giannis (just like Rich Paul)...

But is this a true or false claim?

Did Rich Paul say that? He just said he makes his teammates better, but he didn't exactly specify how he does that. I don't think AD is a better passer than Giannis. KD, I think, is about equal. None of them are great at it, btw.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#7 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:07 am

I’m not sure how anyone could say AD and KD are better playmakers than Giannas. I don’t think even AD and KDs mothers would say that.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#8 » by evilpimp972 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:57 am

Impuniti wrote:KD is a vastly better playmaker and it's not close. AD and Giannis are both below mediocre to even matter whose better.

Do you have the stats to back this up? KD is a mediocre playmaker. He had a serie last year in OKC where he had more turnovers than assists.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,619

Post#9 » by Johnny Firpo » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:43 am

evilpimp972 wrote:
Impuniti wrote:KD is a vastly better playmaker and it's not close. AD and Giannis are both below mediocre to even matter whose better.

Do you have the stats to back this up? KD is a mediocre playmaker. He had a serie last year in OKC where he had more turnovers than assists.

Remember, playmaking includes scoring too, but I get your point.
djw
Junior
And1: 581

Post#10 » by djw » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:46 am

evilpimp972 wrote:

What does the 2015/16 season got to do with that? Last time I check, players can improve. Afaik Giannis wasn't playing MVP level back then either.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#11 » by evilpimp972 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:50 am

djw wrote:
evilpimp972 wrote:

What does the 2015/16 season got to do with that? Last time I check, players can improve. Afaik Giannis wasn't playing MVP level back then either.

Since the 2015/2016 season, KD turnover to assist ratio is mediocre, and he had the best off ball player in the game in steph Curry!
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,475

Post#12 » by 70sFan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:05 am

Durant is nothing special as a playmaker. Giannis is far from great passer right now, but with some improvement he has the highest celling as a playmaker. His offensive gravity is huge enough for that. Durant can't handle the ball by himself and he's not elite passer by any means.

Davis improved his passing game a lot recently, but he's mainly off-ball player so it's tough to compare him to them.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#13 » by ProspectPark » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:28 am

Jerry West on Kevin Durant:

“Again, he’s an incredible passer. He does every thing. Swiss Army Knife. His passing ability...His unselfishness...You put the ball in his hands and he’s going to score or someone is going to get a layup. Not a jump shot, they’re going to get a layup with him.”

But like usual, RealGM experts are better at evaluating talent than Jerry West. :roll:

Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,073

Post#14 » by Patches Perry » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:50 am

Davis is definitely last among the three. Giannis has the advantage of the three because he is so good off the dribble and drawing defenders.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#15 » by DCRYsing89 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:58 am

evilpimp972 wrote:

There’s turnovers from scoring and playmaking, he scores a lot, so his turnovers will accumulate from non-playmaking related incedents.
Assist to TO ratio as such is not a great way to measure playmaking

Although I veiw Giannis as better than KD, KD definetly is a solid playmaker.
Like in comparison to most non-guards, he is well above average.

Giannis could run point I feel though.

AD, nah, there’s a reason he is more effective offball.
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,199

Post#16 » by LewisnotMiller » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:17 am

7footMONSTER wrote:Jerry West on Kevin Durant:

“Again, he’s an incredible passer. He does every thing. Swiss Army Knife. His passing ability...His unselfishness...You put the ball in his hands and he’s going to score or someone is going to get a layup. Not a jump shot, they’re going to get a layup with him.”

But like usual, RealGM experts are better at evaluating talent than Jerry West. :roll:

Well...it's not only RealGM 'experts' who rate Giannis as a setup man, nor did Jerry compare the two.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/briansampson/2019/05/04/giannis-antetkounmpos-is-nbas-most-underrated-passer/amp/
antonac
Starter
And1: 2,195

Post#17 » by antonac » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:29 am

I think Giannis has better hands and ball skills so is capable of really nice passes but because he tends to put his head and barrel to the basket he's not really seeing the open men as much.

but Durant is much more measured and usually has his head up because he's keeping his eye on his defender so if he sags off he can just shoot over him, hence I think he tends to be able to pick out the guys cutting to the basket a lot better.

Doing the simple things right is more important than the flashy stuff though, so for now I have Durant ahead.
Tomazan
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,701

Post#18 » by Tomazan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:41 am

Who out of these players is the best center?

Paul, Curry or Irving?
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#19 » by LloydFree » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:51 am

Anthony Davis has way more talent and skill than Giannis, but Giannis plays with more purpose and explosion. Maybe I'm biased, because AD never does anything against the 76ers, but I don't think he'd make those Bucks players better than Giannis.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Post#20 » by freethedevil » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:04 pm

PLayer who can't even run his team's offense is vaslty better at playmaking than player who does :roll:

Return to The General Board