B/R Patrick Beverley story: From sleeping in cars to being the starting PG of a title contender

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, PockyCandy, Prez

ClipsFanSince98
RealGM
And1: 13,061

B/R Patrick Beverley story: From sleeping in cars to being the starting PG of a title contender 

Post#1 » by ClipsFanSince98 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:09 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2857235-what-makes-patrick-beverley-tick

Wow. Amazing piece. Couple excerpts below.

The sky was dark. Blue-black. Lisa Beverley had just finished her overnight shift. Third job of the day. She and Patrick didn't have much, so Lisa worked constantly: at a phone company, painting nails, babysitting. Every day, she'd keep from collapsing by telling herself: If I don't make it, we don't make it. I can't fail my son.

She turned off the engine, and Patrick climbed onto her lap. She hugged him tightly, his tiny body melting into the curves of hers. But he was worried. He could feel the tired on her. He didn't want the tired anywhere near her.

"OK, now you look at the clock," she told him. "When the clock says this number, you wake Mommy up, OK? I just need some sleep so we can make it home. Help Mommy drive, OK?"

Patrick nodded, watching her eyelids slowly roll to a close. "OK, Mommy." He began to stare at the clock, eyes open. Wide. Two white lights in a bleak, starless night.

"I didn't want my mom to work that hard again," Beverley says, picturing himself as a child, back in that car.

Sometimes Lisa wishes he didn't remember the car, the clock. She is surprised that he does: "Some stuff, I never brought up to him, because you don't want your kid to know how bad it really, really was." At the same time, she recognizes that memory has always been her son's motivator. It has pushed him to work, to survive. And that's what has earned him his reputation and standing in the NBA

Beverley, 31, often thinks about all he has endured to get to this point. Things that have nothing to do with basketball. "I think it's post-traumatic stress," he says, taking a seat on a bench at the Clippers facility on a Thursday afternoon in September. He's wearing a gray hoodie that says "West Side Story."

He remembers his old life: having to share a sweatshirt with a high school teammate, not always able to afford his own. Feeling lost, alone, growing up without his father, who struggled with drug abuse. He remembers the family, the friends, that gunshots stole from him. The scouts telling him he was too small, too skinny. The uncertainty he felt after being declared ineligible to play at Arkansas after two seasons for academic issues. He left school to play in Ukraine, Greece and Russia, chasing an NBA dream in countries far away where nobody knew his name.

"It's 10 million kids just like me. Kids in New York, in Chicago, in L.A., in Oakland, in Atlanta, who go through the same thing and don't make it out; they don't have a voice," he says. "I speak for them. I hoop for them."
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 22,463

Re: B/R Patrick Beverley story: From sleeping in cars to being the starting PG of a title contender 

Post#2 » by Duffman100 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Oh man. That's tragic and amazing. I love Beverly, what a bulldog.
The_Hater
RealGM
And1: 23,090

Re: B/R Patrick Beverley story: From sleeping in cars to being the starting PG of a title contender 

Post#3 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Also a little known fact, Beverley attended Marshall high school in Chicago that was previously attended by Arhtur Agee of Hoop Dreams fame. There was a follow up documentary to Hoop Dreams called Hoop Reality, and it included a segment on Beverley while he was still at Marshall.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ClipsFanSince98
RealGM
And1: 13,061

Post#4 » by ClipsFanSince98 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:21 pm

The_Hater wrote:Also a little known fact, Beverley attended Marshall high school in Chicago that was previously attended by Arhtur Agee of Hoop Dreams fame. There was a follow up documentary to Hoop Dreams called Hoop Reality, and it included a segment on Beverley while he was still at Marshall.
I didn't know that. I'll have to check it out.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app
miamiheat319
Rookie
And1: 2,254

Post#5 » by miamiheat319 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:47 pm

Yknow I’ve never been a fan of his, I think he’s one of those players you love if he’s on your team/hate if he’s not, but man you can’t not have respect for this man after hearing stuff like this. Awesome success story.
Proud owner of over 200 NBA jerseys

Heat fan first, Wolves watcher second

shoutout to you if you remember when I had this profile pic a while back

Return to The General Board