Will Zion be more athletic than Peak Westbrook?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Do you think Zion will end up being more athletic in his 1 year peak than Peak Westbrook?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 83

JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,019

Re: Will Zion be more athletic than Peak Westbrook? 

Post#21 » by JN61 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:51 am

Williamson is stronger obviously and better leaper. Westbrook has quickness, speed, dexterity and in generally in better aerobic conditioned.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#22 » by Kabookalu » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:53 am

Gooner wrote:
Goner wrote:There's a difference between sheer athleticism and how rare of an athlete someone is. Russell Westbrook is more athletic than Lebron. That said, at Lebron's size he is a much rarer athlete than Westbrook. I'd say the same is true of Zion and Westbrook.

Exactly. It's the size of guys like Zion and LeBron, combined with their athleticism that makes them such freaks of nature. But as a pure athlete, Westbrook is better because of his stature.

This was a very confusing sequence for a second lol
Read on Twitter
JN61
RealGM

Post#23 » by JN61 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:54 am

Zeitgeister wrote:
LakersLegacy wrote:I don’t yet understand Zion. Isn’t he like a 6-6 or 6-7 Blake Griffin. That plays a little more down hill. Like LeBron style of finishing?

In terms of athleticism he's basically a bit shorter but considerably heavier version of LeBron.

Significantly shorter than LeBron.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,836

Post#24 » by Zeitgeister » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:04 am

JN61 wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:
LakersLegacy wrote:I don’t yet understand Zion. Isn’t he like a 6-6 or 6-7 Blake Griffin. That plays a little more down hill. Like LeBron style of finishing?

In terms of athleticism he's basically a bit shorter but considerably heavier version of LeBron.

LeBron is 6'8-6'9, Zion is 6'7, I guess if that's significantly shorter in your world. LeBron probably has a more sizable wingspan advantage over him though.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
JN61
RealGM

Post#25 » by JN61 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:06 am

Zeitgeister wrote:
JN61 wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:

LeBron is 6'8-6'9, Zion is 6'7, I guess if that's significantly shorter in your world. LeBron probably has a more sizable wingspan advantage over him though.

He is 6'6
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,836

Post#26 » by Zeitgeister » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:08 am

JN61 wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:
JN61 wrote:Significantly shorter than LeBron.

He is 6'6

He's 6'6 barefoot, what's LeBron's height barefoot, and do you have a link supporting it?
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
Vega
Pro Prospect
And1: 151

Post#27 » by Vega » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:14 am

Even with all that mass he already has a quicker first step than Westbrook. It’s so fast it’s hard to believe someone didn’t edit the video.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,601

Post#28 » by UcanUwill » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:35 am

Lalouie wrote:
mdonnelly1989 wrote:Do you think Zion will end up being more athletic in his 1 year peak then Peak Westbrook?

Athletic combines a combination of

Explosiveness
Strength
Agility
Speed
Hops
Power
ECT

Its obvious that they are more athletic in different areas but from an OVERALL athletic point who ya got?

what about quickness?

what makes zion seem more athletic is the athleticism he displays FOR HIS SIZE. in other words he far outpaces players of his type than russell of his, so that his size/athleticism combination is better than rw's.

just as similarly, wilt is superior to all players like EVER

But what about strength. Zion is so explosive and strong, that he is really unstoppable near the basket, LeBron esque finisher, maybe even better. Thats what makes ZIon generational talent, combo of those 2 athletic gifts. Lots of guys can jump high and explode, but none of them are as strong.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,482

Post#29 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:36 am

Zeitgeister wrote:
JN61 wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:

He is 6'6

He's 6'6 barefoot, what's LeBron's height barefoot, and do you have a link supporting it?

6'7.25"

https://stats.nba.com/draft/combine-anthro/#!?SeasonYear=2003-04&sort=HEIGHT_WO_SHOES&dir=1
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,577

Post#30 » by MemphisX » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:38 am

Egg Nog wrote:
MemphisX wrote:Zion won't have that total athletic advantage at his position.

I tend to disagree.

I understand but Zion will never be bigger (longer) than guys at his position like Westbrook. It’s early but someone with not as much pop but more length could hinder him.

I do admit i might be underselling his bulk/strength.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#31 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:41 am

Kabookalu wrote:

He's not reliant on his strength as some people think. He will use it when he's in the paint, bodying up whoever is in his way when he rises up for a lay up or tough shot, but when he's on the perimeter he'll use his jaw dropping quickness to get around defenders.

1:37
4:54
6:41
7:52
8:23
10:20
10:30

If there's a flaw to his game (other than shooting), it's that he tries to finesse things too much instead of bullying his defenders with his mass, like at 3:38. At 5:04 he does barrel into his defender, but it doesn't even look like he was trying to, it just happened.

Also this play at 2:50 in the video below

Is one of the most explosive first steps I've ever seen in my life. Zion, at least when he's driving to the rim, actually plays like Russell Westbrook/Derrick Rose relying on quickness and handles rather than brute strength. If he decides to go all LeBron when he's driving downhill, god bless everyone that has the courage to defend him in transition.

Man at minimum he just needs to get back to his college weight. You can see a legit difference in his weight between these games and the preseason games.

Honestly if he gets back to his high school weight, its game over. This in my opinion is the perfect mix for him. Still big and strong but nothing over the top.

I wont lie though, the year to year growth in his weight seeing him as a senior, to Duke and now the start of this season isn't the best sign. But I still have faith he can get this under control.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#32 » by Gooner » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:51 am

Kabookalu wrote:
Gooner wrote:
Goner wrote:There's a difference between sheer athleticism and how rare of an athlete someone is. Russell Westbrook is more athletic than Lebron. That said, at Lebron's size he is a much rarer athlete than Westbrook. I'd say the same is true of Zion and Westbrook.

Exactly. It's the size of guys like Zion and LeBron, combined with their athleticism that makes them such freaks of nature. But as a pure athlete, Westbrook is better because of his stature.

I'm making a distincion between being a bigger physical freak, and a better athlete. There is always connection and it's hard to draw he line between the two, but I can't say Zion is a better athlete than Westbrook. Russ is a flawless athlete in my opinion. He has more speed, explosiveness and stamina than anybody, and he even has great strength. He is just not as big as Zion, but I can't say that's a weakness.
Barnzy
Sixth Man
And1: 2,792

Post#33 » by Barnzy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:03 am

Zion is going to be arguably the most athletic player of all time. The top 5 are LeBron Shaq Wilt Zion Jordan.

280 pounds at that speed and shiftyness? Literally has not been seen ever.

Westbrook not in the same stratesphere.
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,114

Post#34 » by TheBallsDeeper » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:15 am

He is pretty much Larry Johnson.Which is amazing, but not Jordan.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,541

Post#35 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:29 am

Gooner wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:
Gooner wrote:

I'm making a distincion between being a bigger physical freak, and a better athlete. There is always connection and it's hard to draw he line between the two, but I can't say Zion is a better athlete than Westbrook. Russ is a flawless athlete in my opinion. He has more speed, explosiveness and stamina than anybody, and he even has great strength. He is just not as big as Zion, but I can't say that's a weakness.
Better athlete means nothing, if you don't define the priorities and the parameters.
There are things Zion can do that Russ can't, and vice versa.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#36 » by Gooner » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:32 am

TheBallsDeeper wrote:He is pretty much Larry Johnson.Which is amazing, but not Jordan.

That's definitely the best comparison.
Sign5
Head Coach
And1: 9,644

Post#37 » by Sign5 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:54 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

He's not reliant on his strength as some people think. He will use it when he's in the paint, bodying up whoever is in his way when he rises up for a lay up or tough shot, but when he's on the perimeter he'll use his jaw dropping quickness to get around defenders.

If there's a flaw to his game (other than shooting), it's that he tries to finesse things too much instead of bullying his defenders with his mass, like at 3:38. At 5:04 he does barrel into his defender, but it doesn't even look like he was trying to, it just happened.

Is one of the most explosive first steps I've ever seen in my life. Zion, at least when he's driving to the rim, actually plays like Russell Westbrook/Derrick Rose relying on quickness and handles rather than brute strength. If he decides to go all LeBron when he's driving downhill, god bless everyone that has the courage to defend him in transition.

Man at minimum he just needs to get back to his college weight. You can see a legit difference in his weight between these games and the preseason games.

Honestly if he gets back to his high school weight, its game over. This in my opinion is the perfect mix for him. Still big and strong but nothing over the top.

I wont lie though, the year to year growth in his weight seeing him as a senior, to Duke and now the start of this season isn't the best sign. But I still have faith he can get this under control.
I honestly didn't realize HOW MUCH he gained from duke til now until I went back to see a duke highlight. He was noticeably more trim and defined. What's crazy is, as fluffy as he is now the kid's still been displaying jaw dropping athleticism (the speed/quickness hasn't diminished). However, I think that extra weight is definitely affecting his motor. This is a guy that was being compared to a bigger westbrook.

When you saw him at Duke he was constantly jumping for offensive rbs and a legit rim protector. Now he could be saving himself for the reg season but he definitely needs to shed 10 pounds of weight. I find it mystifying that NOLA didn't lock dude up in the cardio room after summer league. Now im wishing even more my Heat drafted him (he would literally look like Lebron bf% wise). :lol:
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:35 am

Sign5 wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:

I honestly didn't realize HOW MUCH he gained from duke til now until I went back to see a duke highlight. He was noticeably more trim and defined. What's crazy is, as fluffy as he is now the kid's still been displaying jaw dropping athleticism (the speed/quickness hasn't diminished). However, I think that extra weight is definitely affecting his motor. This is a guy that was being compared to a bigger westbrook.

When you saw him at Duke he was constantly jumping for offensive rbs and a legit rim protector. Now he could be saving himself for the reg season but he definitely needs to shed 10 pounds of weight. I find it mystifying that NOLA didn't lock dude up in the cardio room after summer league. Now im wishing even more my Heat drafted him (he would literally look like Lebron bf% wise). :lol:

Yup. Senior year in high school, looks like probably 260, Duke he was 270, now I do think he has reached that 285 weight everyone talked about.

Duke weight we know what he can do on both ends of the court. I agree with you at Duke he was flying high blocking shots and rebounding, I have yet to really see him leave his feet on the defensive end to really try and protect the rim.

I think the Duke weight should be the maximum weight he should play at. I think the high school weight would be the ideal weight. High school he looked jacked, Duke looked jack with some thickness, now he just looks thick.

You would think the Pels or Jordan would be providing a professional nutritionist and have him on a strict meal plan. He needs to get in touch with Okafor and do whatever that man has done, he has gotten into the best shape of his life the last two years. I can barely recognize him now.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#39 » by tribulations » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 am

Pound for pound, it's a wash.

Quite something when you consider how big Zion is.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,034
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#40 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:40 am

Zeitgeister wrote:
JN61 wrote:
Zeitgeister wrote:

He is 6'6

LeBron was 6’7 barefoot when he was measured, fwiw.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to The General Board