Wiz offer Beal the supermax; waiting on him

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Should Beal sign the extension with the Wiz?

Yes, take the money now. Plot your way out later.
51%
No, just force out now. Sorry Illmatic12, but he needs to leave.
42%
Beal loves the team. He'll happily remain.
7%

Total votes: 81

BBgun
Analyst
And1: 1,210

Re: Wiz offer Beal the supermax; waiting on him 

Post#21 » by BBgun » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:00 pm

I can appreciate that Beal has been loyal to the franchise that drafted him and they're making every effort to do the same but they could end up being one of the worst teams in the league this year. With Wall's salary eating a third of their cap, that roster is stretched thin and not exactly talent heavy minus Beal.

They would be best served by waiting until close to the deadline and then trading him for an absolute haul, which Imo they would get from a team looking to go all in for right now.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#22 » by Stillwater » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:28 pm

he will take the $ , if that's all he cares about... he won't if he wants to be part of a good org with a solid future.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,958

Post#23 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:33 pm

Stillwater wrote:he will take the $ , if that's all he cares about... he won't if he wants to be part of a good org with a solid future.

He should take the money. Look at Isaiah Thomas, Boogie Cousins, etc. Secure the bag, and then demand a trade later. You get best of both worlds.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#24 » by Stillwater » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
Stillwater wrote:he will take the $ , if that's all he cares about... he won't if he wants to be part of a good org with a solid future.

He should take the money. Look at Isaiah Thomas, Boogie Cousins, etc. Secure the bag, and then demand a trade later. You get best of both worlds.

true he should if that's all he cares about... I mean I would rather be content with the ridiculously huge wad of cash I already have and take a slight discount to play on a up and coming roster instead of one like WAS taking the $ and trying to force a trade with that contract makes it much harder to get out. he aint Kawhi
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,958

Post#25 » by Shock Defeat » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:

true he should if that's all he cares about... I mean I would rather be content with the ridiculously huge wad of cash I already have and take a slight discount to play on a up and coming roster instead of one like WAS taking the $ and trying to force a trade with that contract makes it much harder to get out. he aint Kawhi

it's not about the slight discount, it's about risk. He will have to play out a season without a contract extension, what if he tears his achilles. He would lose millions. Sign the deal now and worry later.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#26 » by Benedict_Boozer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:40 pm

With the new reality of players demanding trades even with multiple years on their contract, no harm in just taking the deal. Sign up with Klutch, make life miserable for the Wiz, kill their leverage and force your way to where you want AD style worse case scenario.

if Washington turns it around all the better.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,175

Post#27 » by og15 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:10 am

giberish wrote:This isn't a 35% supermax deal.

He'll be able to make more as a UFA. He won't sign the deal - even if he were certain to stay he wouldn't sign now.

Washington is hoping that by next summer they'll be a more attractive place to stay. So they probably won't make a move until then. I'd also say that they shouldn't expect a PG to LAC level deal as George is a solid tier above Beal as a player without impending UFA status.
The Clippers deal also happened because essentially the Clippers were basically trading for George and Kawhi, that's not a deal to use as a barometer for any other unless it is a similar circumstance.
LeMasta
Veteran
And1: 2,194

Post#28 » by LeMasta » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:26 am

take the deal and demand a trade a year later, PG style lmao
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#29 » by Metallikid » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:39 am

May as well come with a no trade clause because a 35/per salary in Washington will never get moved.

Go Mystics!
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#30 » by Stillwater » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Shock Defeat wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Shock Defeat wrote:He should take the money. Look at Isaiah Thomas, Boogie Cousins, etc. Secure the bag, and then demand a trade later. You get best of both worlds.

it's not about the slight discount, it's about risk. He will have to play out a season without a contract extension, what if he tears his achilles. He would lose millions. Sign the deal now and worry later.

greed will not get you rings unless you are a superstar , Beal isnt. he can take the $ fir fear of future injury ,but odds are he will never be on a contender until hes old and past his prime if at all
giberish
RealGM
And1: 5,837

Post#31 » by giberish » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:00 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
giberish wrote:This isn't a 35% supermax deal.

He'll be able to make more as a UFA.

You may be right that it's not the 35% deal, but he won't make more money leaving in free agency. Maybe he can make more resigning with the Wiz after becoming a UFA.

This is just off raises from his current deal.

With current cap projections*, he can make about $10M (total) more over the first 3 years of a new 30% max contract as a UFA. And he could obviously sign for another year (or 2 if resigning with a current team). So he would make more. This is taking a discount to stay with a poorly run team. It just isn't going to happen.

* Though if there's a revenue drop that causes 2021 cap to drop that would change things. In that case he might be limited to raises off his current deal the same as the extension offer.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,875

Post#32 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:01 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:That's a lotta moola. I'd take the money now and just play basketball without a care in the world the next 3-4 years.

and waste your prime in a toxic losing environment?
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,354

Post#33 » by nate33 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:12 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
jazzfan1971 wrote:That's a lotta moola. I'd take the money now and just play basketball without a care in the world the next 3-4 years.

Toxic losing environment?

The Wizards have made the playoffs in 4 of the last 6 years and the 2nd round in 3 of the last 6. They're certainly not a model franchise or anything, but "toxic losing environment" is overstating it.
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,437

Post#34 » by Asif16 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Demand a trade to the Raptors Bradley
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,875

Post#35 » by LoveMyRaps » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:20 pm

nate33 wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:

Toxic losing environment?

The Wizards have made the playoffs in 4 of the last 6 years and the 2nd round in 3 of the last 6. They're certainly not a model franchise or anything, but "toxic losing environment" is overstating it.

Yeah my bad, definitely an overstatement on my behalf. But it's still not a team you'd wanna spend the next 3-4 years of your prime playing for considering the way it is constructed right now.
Beal's value is sky high right now, IMO they should trade him for picks + prospects. They already got a couple solid young pieces to build around in Rui + Bryant.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Re: Wiz offer Beal the max; waiting on him 

Post#36 » by queridiculo » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:40 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:Beal isn't worth 40 a year LOL he is way overrated by some

Better than paying Middleton $35 million.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#37 » by TheFinishSniper » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:43 pm

Plain Old Josh wrote:Secure the bag. Worry about the rest later.

melo was light years ahead
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#38 » by Sixerscan » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:45 pm

People have no idea what max or supermax means and it leads to crazy arguments based on faulty premises
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,267

Post#39 » by Frank Dux » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:26 pm

Take the money and force your way out.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,202

Post#40 » by brutalitops » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Would just ask for a 1 year max contract, No idea what the Caps projected to do and that way you have flexability into your future.

Return to The General Board