Michael Porter Jr odds for ROY award rise from out of TOP20 to TOP5 in just 3 days after playing two and half quarters!

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

What is your expectation from Michael Porter Jr rookie year?

Rookie of the Year
8%
AllRookie first team
29%
AllRookie second team
19%
Early shot down due to injury problems
32%
Mediocre rookie season
13%

Total votes: 132

Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Re: Michael Porter Jr odds for ROY award rise from out of TOP20 to TOP5 in just 3 days after playing two and half quarte 

Post#61 » by Richard Miller » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:02 am

Stillwater wrote:
nomansland wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:No he hasn’t. He needs to prove healthy and then he can be starting bid for Covington. Denver needs to add.

Lol.

After what we've seen so far in pre-season and from what the coaches are saying about his practices, he's almost certainly not on the trade block and they're especially not going to pile on a bunch of assets to move him.

he is fools gold and the Wolves wouldn't give up an end of the bench project for him at this point and neither would anyone else.

If he can stay reasonably healthy, he's already a better project than anyone on the Wolves not named KAT.
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,516

Re: Michael Porter Jr odds for ROY award rise from out of TOP20 to TOP5 in just 3 days after playing two and half quarte 

Post#62 » by THE J0KER » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:14 am

BTW, the only other rookie with giant odds jumps after few games of the current preseason is Miami's SG Tylor Hero (from around 100:1 to about 30:1). Considering ROY is locked for the Zion, things are still interesting for all-rookie first team race.

The rookie which shines in 2018 preseason and from underdogs group becomes ROY contender is Clippers (now OKC) Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. SGA has strong season aftermath but still didn't reached all-rookie first team in this stacked class (finished #6 in voting).
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#63 » by Stillwater » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:51 am

Richard Miller wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
nomansland wrote:
Lol.

After what we've seen so far in pre-season and from what the coaches are saying about his practices, he's almost certainly not on the trade block and they're especially not going to pile on a bunch of assets to move him.

he is fools gold and the Wolves wouldn't give up an end of the bench project for him at this point and neither would anyone else.

If he can stay reasonably healthy, he's already a better project than anyone on the Wolves not named KAT.

yeah im not sure why people were ever high on him. he does have a smooth j with great size to catch and shoot so in closing time he could be that clutch shooter that gets hot for a 1/4...but the injury concerns are all too real for anyone to be confident in his game developing to a level beyond some iso offense but to me the odds are stacked against him to stay healthy
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Post#64 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:00 pm

Dacost wrote:I don't wanna be a hater but I'm I the only one who doesn't care about who or what the Nuggets do?

I'm in the East coast so I haven't watch them play ever ...even when they play my team.I also skip all their playoff games just because I just found them boring (spurs-nuggets YUCK)

The NBA is falling to help east coast fans (some)connect more with this lame west coast teams 9 :30 games are hurting the game.

I'm a west coast guy and the Nuggets are probably my favorite western team to watch. Great shooting with the best modern (or maybe ever) passing big man in the NBA...super depth. Some very highly rated prospects that dropped because of injury. Even if they have multiple injuries to starters (like last year) they still compete at a high level.

Though I kind of feel the same way about many eastern teams as you do about the Nuggets. Either teams are on tv so much it's overkill or they just don't interest me. I do find the Pacers interesting though and several other teams.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#65 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Dacost wrote:I don't wanna be a hater but I'm I the only one who doesn't care about who or what the Nuggets do?

I'm in the East coast so I haven't watch them play ever ...even when they play my team.I also skip all their playoff games just because I just found them boring (spurs-nuggets YUCK)

The NBA is falling to help east coast fans (some)connect more with this lame west coast teams 9 :30 games are hurting the game.

Hater? Sure sounds like the definition of hater - and not just of the Nuggets but your own team. A true fan is going to watch every game they can especially when it involves their own team. You just exposed yourself as a poser and a hater - at least that's the way I see it.

I recognize that not everyone can watch every game, but long before DVRs and cable/satellite, I would take time off from work or restructure events in order to watch the NBA - especially the Nuggets. I missed a few games because of more important events, but the attitude you are expressing? No way!
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,615

Post#66 » by nomansland » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:52 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:
Stillwater wrote:he is fools gold and the Wolves wouldn't give up an end of the bench project for him at this point and neither would anyone else.

yeah im not sure why people were ever high on him. he does have a smooth j with great size to catch and shoot so in closing time he could be that clutch shooter that gets hot for a 1/4...but the injury concerns are all too real for anyone to be confident in his game developing to a level beyond some iso offense but to me the odds are stacked against him to stay healthy

I would love to test that hypothesis and call every GM offering Porter for one of their end of bench projects and see what happens.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#67 » by The Explorer » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:36 pm

The Rebel wrote:
The Explorer wrote:Again, he's not a rookie. He's been in the nba for more than a year.

Unless the NBA has changed the rules he is a rookie.

By the NBA's definition he is. But that doesn't mean its right or fair. He's had the benefit of learning from NBA coaching, NBA training and nutrition practices, and has traveled and sat beside his NBA teammates. He should not be considered a rookie.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,835

Post#68 » by Duffman100 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:40 pm

Man, I'll cheer for this kid.

I want to see Denver succeed and this poor guy with his injuries.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#69 » by Stillwater » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:12 pm

nomansland wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Richard Miller wrote:

I would love to test that hypothesis and call every GM offering Porter for one of their end of bench projects and see what happens.

imo the only thing he has going for him is hype from highschool which is pretty sad at this point given how far removed from it he is.
I'm sure some teams end of bench players have less potential if you consider an injury prone iso scorer a player with good potential,,, but in reality he really doesn't even offer enough value as is to justify giving up bad players for other than to waive him afterwards.
Sharkboy242
Veteran
And1: 3,818

Post#70 » by Sharkboy242 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Stillwater wrote:
nomansland wrote:
Stillwater wrote:yeah im not sure why people were ever high on him. he does have a smooth j with great size to catch and shoot so in closing time he could be that clutch shooter that gets hot for a 1/4...but the injury concerns are all too real for anyone to be confident in his game developing to a level beyond some iso offense but to me the odds are stacked against him to stay healthy

imo the only thing he has going for him is hype from highschool which is pretty sad at this point given how far removed from it he is.
I'm sure some teams end of bench players have less potential if you consider an injury prone iso scorer a player with good potential,,, but in reality he really doesn't even offer enough value as is to justify giving up bad players for other than to waive him afterwards.

Talk about being a hater. :lol:
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#71 » by Stillwater » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:39 pm

Sharkboy242 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
nomansland wrote:

tbh I cannot understand the gamble Denver took knowing his entire family is injury prone and he is the opposite of a team player and a terrible fit there. Maybe I am missing something? I just don't see a lottery level prospect healthy or not.
Kurucs would have made a lot more sense there and they could have traded back for him as it turns out.I mean if you are going to gamble on big upside at 14 at least take Simons or Mitch Robinson who were not injured or injury prone...
If MPJ turns into a beast and takes over the league it will be more of a surprise than if he doesn't is all Im saying at this point
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
And1: 8,690

Post#72 » by Johnny Firpo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:imo the only thing he has going for him is hype from highschool which is pretty sad at this point given how far removed from it he is.

tbh I cannot understand the gamble Denver took knowing his entire family is injury prone and he is the opposite of a team player and a terrible fit there. Maybe I am missing something? I just don't see a lottery level prospect healthy or not.
Kurucs would have made a lot more sense there and they could have traded back for him as it turns out.I mean if you are going to gamble on big upside at 14 at least take Simons or Mitch Robinson who were not injured or injury prone...
If MPJ turns into a beast and takes over the league it will be more of a surprise than if he doesn't is all Im saying at this point

It was a huge risk, sure, but it's not like they didn't know it. They could do this because they have one of the youngest teams in the league that's already close to being elite, and they have found some amazing gems in the dirt (Morris, Beasley). So they can go for the home run with their 14th pick.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#73 » by Stillwater » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:51 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:Talk about being a hater. :lol:

It was a huge risk, sure, but it's not like they didn't know it. They could do this because they have one of the youngest teams in the league that's already close to being elite, and they have found some amazing gems in the dirt (Morris, Beasley). So they can go for the home run with their 14th pick.

but the odds they hit a tater taking an injury prone iso dominant forward who barely played at all in college with a bad back and who knows whats next over say a Mitch Robinson or Anfernee Simons who fell due to lack of competitive film not playing in college at all is just beyond going for it and more like throwing the mascot out there hoping he can get you a ribby on a bunt
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,840

Post#74 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:09 pm

Not a Rookie dur dur dur
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#75 » by The Rebel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:14 pm

The Explorer wrote:
The Rebel wrote:
The Explorer wrote:Again, he's not a rookie. He's been in the nba for more than a year.

By the NBA's definition he is. But that doesn't mean its right or fair. He's had the benefit of learning from NBA coaching, NBA training and nutrition practices, and has traveled and sat beside his NBA teammates. He should not be considered a rookie.

So by the rules it si fair and right, you just don't like the rules. Plus who ever told you that life was fair or right?
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,884

Post#76 » by Richard Miller » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Stillwater wrote:but the odds they hit a tater taking an injury prone iso dominant forward who barely played at all in college with a bad back and who knows whats next over say a Mitch Robinson or Anfernee Simons who fell due to lack of competitive film not playing in college at all is just beyond going for it and more like throwing the mascot out there hoping he can get you a ribby on a bunt

Don't think Denver would fit Robinson, he'd barely get playing time behind Jokic and Plumlee and probably wouldn't look as good as he does today, nor they need another SG, if healthy MPJ makes much more sense.
Sharkboy242
Veteran

Post#77 » by Sharkboy242 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:25 pm

The Rebel wrote:
The Explorer wrote:
The Rebel wrote:

So by the rules it si fair and right, you just don't like the rules. Plus who ever told you that life was fair or right?

The notion of training/nutrition being intrinsically special in the NBA is hilarious to me. Its a poor argument because its ultimately based on a person's wealth - there's nothing stopping a high school aged player from receiving high end treatment (other than money).

The only argument to be made is the tactical edge you're given and whether you believe that edge is enough to make you considerably better than similarly talented player who didn't get that advantage. I'm skeptical of it being significant - the most talented player is the most talented player.
Sharkboy242
Veteran

Post#78 » by Sharkboy242 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:36 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Sharkboy242 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:imo the only thing he has going for him is hype from highschool which is pretty sad at this point given how far removed from it he is.

I was absolutely stoked when the Clippers opted not to draft MPJ and he fell to us. The Nuggets already had an abundance of players under 25 at the time so there wasn't a huge need to add another rookie to the roster. Betting on his upside made perfect sense to me.

There's nothing wrong with MPJ being iso-dominant when you consider how passive Millsap, Jokic and Harris are. We need a player like this.
The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#79 » by The Rebel » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:51 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
Stillwater wrote:tbh I cannot understand the gamble Denver took knowing his entire family is injury prone and he is the opposite of a team player and a terrible fit there. Maybe I am missing something? I just don't see a lottery level prospect healthy or not.

but the odds they hit a tater taking an injury prone iso dominant forward who barely played at all in college with a bad back and who knows whats next over say a Mitch Robinson or Anfernee Simons who fell due to lack of competitive film not playing in college at all is just beyond going for it and more like throwing the mascot out there hoping he can get you a ribby on a bunt

Stan Kroenke is a well known Missouri alumni, Josh Kroenke was a top 100 recruit that choose to go to and play at Missouri for 4 years, they have very strong ties to the school even today.

Leading up to that draft the Nuggets admitted to wanting to trade their pick, they had to many young guys that they couldn't get minutes to already if we were healthy. Last year they started as the youngest team in the league, after cuts and trades it went to 2nd, but they already had Juancho, Beasley, Monte, Craig, Welsh, Lyles, and Lydon who literally could not get minutes in 2017-2018. They also had Gallo who was rumored to want to come back, and the other veterans were still there struggling to keep their minutes as well.

Every rumor had the Nuggets looking to trade out of the draft up until 2 days before the draft, then suddenly it was rumored they wanted to trade up in the draft.

Coincidentally the rumors that Porter Jr was dropping out of the top 5 started about 3 days before the draft. Maybe even not top 10 started the morning of the draft.

It was discovered that Porter JR was still in pain and needed a 2nd surgery at the time, that mill had it that they had to clean up scar tissue and fix the 1st surgery. It has since been reported that the 1st surgery only fixed 1 disc, they actually missed the 2nd disc, which is what the 2nd surgery was actually for.

Doctors and medical reports all say that there is a 95% chance that he makes a full recovery with only a slight chance of injury issues.

It was widely reported that MPJ changed his diet well over a year ago, adding eggs and fish to get more protein, and it reportedly was a huge help in his recovery.

Now where does Simons or Robinson get minutes last year? Neither one would have gotten past our guys who were already of the depth chart. Especially Robinson who has a very limited game.

So consider this, the Nuggets may have had a very good idea on what was up with Porter's JRs back, they also know how hard he worked on rehab and his attitude, and they had no need for another young player. Is it possible that they took MPJ knowing more than you knew, and were more than happy that he was going to be out a year?

By the way the Nuggets also took Vanderbilt who was a top 15 recruit before getting injured his freshman year and the Nuggets knowing was that best case was that he would be healthy in March. and Bol this year. They drafted Beasley in 2016 after he broke his leg and could not attend march madness or workouts, he had been a lotto pick according to most writers before the injury. If they hit on 1 of the 3 we are waiting on than that is better than the average 14th pick and 2 2nd rounders. If they hit on 2 than they are well ahead of the game, 3 and the league is in a lot of trouble. Simons or Robinson are not the types of talents, if you think they are huge needs for the Nuggets than you are not paying attention. Those 2 would have been buried eating up roster spots and cash.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#80 » by Stillwater » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:03 am

^Lol you don't pick for need at 14 and neither Simons nor Robinson would make sense for Denver if they were...the point is both of them were longshot high upside gambles same as MPJ except he is severely injury prone they are not.
They could have taken anyone else and it would have made more sense .
taking a prospect with that much risk at 14 is a wasted pick

Return to The General Board