Michael Porter Jr odds for ROY award rise from out of TOP20 to TOP5 in just 3 days after playing two and half quarters!

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

What is your expectation from Michael Porter Jr rookie year?

Rookie of the Year
8%
AllRookie first team
29%
AllRookie second team
19%
Early shot down due to injury problems
32%
Mediocre rookie season
13%

Total votes: 132

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Re: Michael Porter Jr odds for ROY award rise from out of TOP20 to TOP5 in just 3 days after playing two and half quarte 

Post#21 » by THE J0KER » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Soulcatcher33 wrote:
Spoiler:
THE J0KER wrote:
Soulcatcher33 wrote:
Lol If it’s compared to MPJ, Zion is a lock if he plays 40 games.

Don't write off too early Morrant, Barrett, Porter, or someone else ability from this rookie class to breakthrough at some point and raise his level much higher than it seems now. I agree that in the 2017 Embiid case even 40 games maybe would be enough for ROY award (played only 30) but only because the other two contenders Brogdon and Saric were far away from him. Last season Doncic doing some historic achievements for a rookie, but I'm not sure even 60 games would be enough, because of several other great prospects from that rookie class. Ayton and JJJ are strong since the start, but more interesting are Young and Bagley cases, because they have a breakthrough at some point and Young even finished as #2 in ROY race. So maybe in this class, we will see a similar case too, and Porter can be the one, as a player which will play under restricted minutes at least in October and November.

When you say "40 games will be enough for Zion", except Zion spectacular numbers it must include the awful look of the rest of the class, and we still can't be so sure. Note that in the past 50 years, if we ignore two lockout seasons, the only winners of ROY award which played less than 70 games in the rookie season are Patrick Ewing (1986, just 50 games) and Brandon Roy (2007, just 57 games).

My saying 40 games is directly in comparison to MPJ. He's going to do absolutely nothing of note on this established Nuggets team this season.

Don't be so sure, because Denver starting lineup has one spot which is still not locked, and that is small forward spot! Healthy Zion is out of competition, but there is reason why MPJ is already considered as TOP5 in this rookie class.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Re: Michael Porter Jr odds for ROY award rise from out of TOP20 to TOP5 in just 3 days after playing two and half quarte 

Post#22 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:07 pm

I think the Nuggets are too deep and too good already for him to get enough playing time to get consideration. My bet would be 2nd team, though after Zion, Ja and probably Barrett the rest of the 1st team is probably pretty wide open. Maybe Culver and Clarke if he plays a lot.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,396

Post#23 » by Hornet Mania » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:11 pm

I think MPJ gets all-rookie 2nd team, but I'm also assuming he misses a few games but doesn't have anything catastrophic happen.

I can understand gamblers jumping on him. If something happened to Zion and the Nuggets earned a high playoff seed in the West with MPJ making a hefty contribution he would have a great chance of winning ROY.
tribulations
Analyst
And1: 1,276

Post#24 » by tribulations » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:28 pm

I give ROY zero chance (very slim chance at even top 5) but will gladly be proven wrong.

Just can't see him getting the burn or having the durability.

Sent from my SM-G930F using RealGM mobile app
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,747

Post#25 » by Johnny Fontane » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:50 pm

If he can live up to the hype on his name, Nuggets can be a scary team

They're already a top 5 title contender this year IMO but add on healthy, productive MPJ & Nuggets can really be a force in the playoffs
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#26 » by Dacost » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:52 pm

I don't wanna be a hater but I'm I the only one who doesn't care about who or what the Nuggets do?

I'm in the East coast so I haven't watch them play ever ...even when they play my team.I also skip all their playoff games just because I just found them boring (spurs-nuggets YUCK)

The NBA is falling to help east coast fans (some)connect more with this lame west coast teams 9 :30 games are hurting the game.
The Explorer
RealGM
And1: 2,849

Post#27 » by The Explorer » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:06 pm

He's not a rookie. He's been in the league for over a year. He's benefited from nba training, nutrition, learned from the sidelines, and benefited from nba coaching. He's not a rookie at all.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,500

Post#28 » by bisme37 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:26 pm

His ROY odds rose simply because he played. Not because of anything he did while playing. Now that the odds makers see he's healthy and playing they've moved him to the #5 spot based on his talent relative to the rest of the field.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#29 » by Forte IV » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:27 pm

I'm sorry I just dont see how he stays healthy. His whole family seems cursed.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
JamalMurray
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#32 » by JamalMurray » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Dacost wrote:I don't wanna be a hater but I'm I the only one who doesn't care about who or what the Nuggets do?

I'm in the East coast so I haven't watch them play ever ...even when they play my team.I also skip all their playoff games just because I just found them boring (spurs-nuggets YUCK)

The NBA is falling to help east coast fans (some)connect more with this lame west coast teams 9 :30 games are hurting the game.

First of all, Denver is a full time zone away from the west coast. Second of all, why should they have to start their games at 5:00pm local time to appease boneheads like yourself that think anyone cares about the East Coast?

Enjoy watching all those powerhouse EST teams like the Knicks and the Hawks.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#33 » by azcatz11 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Dacost wrote:I don't wanna be a hater but I'm I the only one who doesn't care about who or what the Nuggets do?

Not sure what the solution is...pac 12 has the same issue. No one stays up on the east coast to watch the games.

You could start the games early but it's hard to justify a 5pm tip off - folks are just getting out of work. I actually think it would be neat to incorporate day games. Give every team 4-5 day games a year. Would be a nice wrinkle
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,918

Post#34 » by Capn'O » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:08 pm

He's a recognizable name so they can push the odds with him. That said, he does look good.

Zion's winning if healthy though. He's amazing.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#35 » by THE J0KER » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:17 am

2018 NBA draft recap:

#6 pick: Mohamed Bamba / Orlando Magic
#8 pick: Collin Sexton / Cleveland Cavaliers
#9 pick: Kevin Knox / New York Knicks
#10 pick: Mikal Bridges / Philadelphia 76ers (from L.A. Lakers via Phoenix; traded to Phoenix)
#11 pick: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander traded for #12 Miles Bridges / Charlotte Hornets (traded to the L.A. Clippers)
#13 pick: Jerome Robinson / Los Angeles Clippers

yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#36 » by yellowknifer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:33 am

He will never play a full season unless he changes his diet. He is freaky talented and would also see his athleticism improve.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,603

Post#37 » by youngthegiant » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:42 am

yellowknifer wrote:He will never play a full season unless he changes his diet. He is freaky talented and would also see his athleticism improve.
He's been eating meat for awhile now, hopefully that helps.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,055

Post#38 » by Crives » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:00 am

Maybe...... if he gets traded in a package for someone like Beal so he gets playing time...
yellowknifer
Analyst
And1: 2,337

Post#39 » by yellowknifer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:03 am

youngthegiant wrote:
yellowknifer wrote:He will never play a full season unless he changes his diet. He is freaky talented and would also see his athleticism improve.
He's been eating meat for awhile now, hopefully that helps.

If that's the case all bets are off. Denver's just went from great to scary good IMO.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,605

Post#40 » by nomansland » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:24 am

I get it and am not offended. I care very little about most of what happens in the Eastern conference, even during the playoffs. Having games start at 4:30 when I'm still at work or doing other things has that effect over on this side of the country. And there are some boring ass teams in the East.

But if you think the Nuggets are a boring team...you haven't watched enough basketball over the years. Not saying they're jaw-dropping exciting but they can be pretty fun to watch.

Return to The General Board