Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,521

Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record? 

Post#1 » by Joerezz7 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:49 am

The NBA has a habit of multiple players making the all star team just because the team has the best record. For example the only person that should’ve made the all star team last year on the Bucks was Giannis. Chris Middleton made it too when we know he shouldn’t of. He didn’t put up all star numbers.

When the playoffs come around the media still decides to refer players like Chris Middleton as all stars. When the Raptors was playing the Bucks in the East Finals the media kept saying “the all star Chris Middleton”. To a casual fan they would assume that Middleton is one of the best players in the NBA. Then when he disappeared against the Raptors it leaves casual fans confused and also puts unnecessary pressure on the player too.

The Warriors had 4 all stars one year. Chauncey Billups Detroit Pistons had 4 all stars one year. That’s too many guys from one team. All those guys ain’t putting up all star numbers.

If a team like Denver has the best record at all star break this year then Jokic should be the only all star. Jamal Murray shouldn’t make the all star team just because the Nuggets have the best record. Murray better be putting up all star numbers if he wants to make the team.

All I’m saying is that players shouldn’t make the all star just for having the best record unless they putting up all star numbers
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,100

Re: Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record? 

Post#2 » by tmorgan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:51 am

Agree on Middleton and agree on the 05 (I think) Pistons... Tayshaun was the only non-AS among the starters, and the only legit All-Stars were probably Billups and Big Ben.

Disagree on the recent Warriors. That team had four All-Stars, legit.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,130

Re: Do you think the NBA should stop giving teams multiple all stars just for having the best record? 

Post#3 » by jazzfan1971 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:55 am

I'll agree unless the Jazz get the top record. Then I vehemently disagree.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,072

Post#5 » by GeorgeMarcus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:02 am

“All Star numbers” can be misleading. Zach LaVine put up better numbers than Middleton last year, but was definitely a worse player overall. Generally the best teams have multiple high impact players, which shouldn’t diminish their All Star chances just because X player put up better numbers on a bad team.

That being said, there can be high impact stars on bad teams, and they shouldn’t be held accountable for the deficiencies of their teammates. Jokic was All Star worthy last year, but he didn’t get credit because the Nuggets were on the outside looking in on the WC playoff picture. (probably not the best example because they weren't a "bad" team, but not as good as they were this year)
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Asif16
RealGM
And1: 27,441

Post#6 » by Asif16 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:04 am

This thread was made for Kris Middleton
Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,521

Post#7 » by Joerezz7 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:20 am

Asif16 wrote:This thread was made for Kris Middleton

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I promise you it wasn’t. That’s why I mentioned other teams, but this made me laugh though lol
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,643

Post#8 » by BloodNinja » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:52 am

The All-Star game should be the 12 best players with records irrelevant.
youngthegiant
Head Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#9 » by youngthegiant » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:05 am

No, why should players putting up empty stats get rewarded.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,151

Post#10 » by Lalouie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:10 am

yes because the premise is the winning team should count for something and it is not democratic. all star play should be considered in it's own right. but i'm guessing that if there were worthy all stars, they'd make it. every team does not have an all star and if there are 15 all stars on a team then some team will get two or more all stars.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 947

Post#11 » by dk1115 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 am

I agree and disagree. Years back, I felt like Mike bibby should have made one all-star team. Lou Williams deserved an appearance. Hell, even JR Smith that one year with the Knicks.
miamiheat319
Veteran
And1: 6,983

Post#12 » by miamiheat319 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:20 am

Yeah it’s dumb. Give it to the guys that deserve it even if they’re on bad teams.
NBA Jersey connoisseur
https://youtu.be/k-PaOWxvnz0
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 33,153

Post#13 » by Reeko » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:22 am

Lowry doesn't put up "All Star numbers" and you could probably find other guards with better counting stats but he has been without a doubt one of the best players in the Eastern Conference. Especially last year when he took a back seat to Kawhi.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#14 » by Higgs Boston » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:40 am

Yes, but this is irrelevant at this point, the NBA likely will delete the all-star weekend and replace it with a Cup.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,281

Post#15 » by Yuri Vaultin » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:46 am

Yes. Also it shouldn't be a popularity contest. Wade got in last year based on what exactly?
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
levon
RealGM
And1: 23,397

Post#16 » by levon » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:52 am

Asif16 wrote:This thread was made for Kris Middleton

Xghkris*
Amare_1_Knicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,309

Post#17 » by Amare_1_Knicks » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:05 am

Yuri Vaultin wrote:Yes. Also it shouldn't be a popularity contest. Wade got in last year based on what exactly?

Weren’t Wade and Dirk given the ‘13th’ spot on either team though? Meaning they didn’t actually take a spot away from anyone — it was just a special one time deal.

To respond to the OP, I’m with you unless it truly seems as though the 3rd guy would SURELY be putting up even more impressive numbers on a different team. Like the Warriors having 3(or 4) all-stars I’m okay with because all 4 guys are clearly all stars/superstars. For the Middleton example, there really wasn’t anyone to replace him. Perhaps Butler but he missed 11 games pre-ASB(and switched conferences).
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#18 » by SactoKingsFan » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:25 am

I agree that teams shouldn't get multiple all- stars just for having the best record but you used some poor examples. Khris Middleton had a borderline all-star season. The Warriors with KD had 4 legit all-stars. 05 Pistons had a solid case for at least 2-3 all-stars. I don't really care that much if the player is borderline and not just a guy like 09 Mo Williams.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
LordCovington33
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,800

Post#19 » by LordCovington33 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:31 am

miamiheat319 wrote:Yeah it’s dumb. Give it to the guys that deserve it even if they’re on bad teams.

I agree. Dragic should not have got it two seasons ago.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#20 » by NBAFan93 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:38 am

If a guy can’t sell tickets or jerseys he shouldn’t be an all star or get a max contract. All stars should be “stars” - and there’s a subjective element to being a star. Middleton is a good player, but he’s not a star.

Return to The General Board