Do You Like How Many 3's Are Shot In Today's NBA?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

What do you think of how many 3's are shot in todays NBA?

I don't think they shoot enough three pointers, I need more
6%
I think the amount of three pointers is appropriate and entertaining
15%
The amount of three pointers is excessive, but I give zero ****
15%
These dudes shoot entirely too many goddamn threes
63%

Total votes: 233

Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,784

Re: Do You Like How Many 3's Are Shot In Today's NBA? 

Post#41 » by Johnny Fontane » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:31 pm

It's annoying but it will only last until the next style of play trend takes over
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,501

Post#42 » by DaPessimist » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:06 pm

Reminds me of College ball where teams shoot a lot of 3's to make up for a lack of real talent.
king_james_vers
Junior
And1: 743

Post#43 » by king_james_vers » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:46 pm

The threes don't bother me. However, it does feel wrong when there's a 3 on 1 fastbreak and the ball handler stops at the line takes a 3....
BloodNinja
Analyst
And1: 5,599

Post#44 » by BloodNinja » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:48 pm

Too many 3's. We're at the point where some players give up an open layup and pass out for a 3. Ridiculous.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#45 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:39 am

Antoine Walker was right. The league needs a 4 point line about 6-7 feet beyond the 3 point line. If one team has an 8 point lead with time running down, it's still only a two-possession game. And a shot made from behind half court should be five points.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,824

Post#46 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:58 am

Nah. Analytics say to do it, but that doesn't mean it's visually appealing to see every team play basically the same way. Speed up and bomb away. Blah, bland.
Go Bucks!
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,317

Post#47 » by Clyde Frazier » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:04 am

Too high, but I'd definitely prefer too high over too low.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,162

Post#48 » by og15 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:04 am

Don’t love it, don’t hate it either. There’s a variety that is lost with the way basketball is currently played, now for efficiency, that variety has little benefit outside of your best players and top scorers who you have take whatever shots they want as long as they are efficient. I understand that teams are in the business of winning games, and how styles have moved makes sense in terms of that.

If we compare the 00-01 season to the 18-19 season, we see this:

00-01:
17.0% FGA from 3PT
40.2% FGA from 16+
23.2% FGA from 16-inside 3PT
15.8% FGA from 10-16 feet
16.8% FGA from 3-10 feet
27.3% FGA inside 3 feet

18-19:
35.9% FGA from 3PT
45.1% FGA from 16+ feet
9.2% FGA from 16-inside 3PT
9.6% FGA from 10-16 feet
16.2% FGA from 3-10 feet
29.2% FGA inside 3 feet

While we have double the amount of 3PT shots taken, in total, the increase in shots outside 16 feet is just 5%. There has been no decrease in shots inside 10 feet, comparing those specific seasons, there is actually been an increase, but it’s in a similar range, 44.1% in 00-01 vs 45.4% in 18-19. Now how more of those shots in the 3-10 range are coming about, floaters vs hooks shots and post-up jumpers might have changed a bit.

So when I look at that, I think to myself, yes, there are some prettier ways a player can go and create a shot from 16 feet than from 3PT range, and certainly from 10-16 feet, but 14% more FGA coming from 16 feet to inside 3PT or 6% more FGA (about 5 shots per team each game, so 10 total FGA) from “true” mid-range (10-16 feet) is not that critical, especially the 16 feet+ one, since those shots would be fairly similar to the 3PT shots we are seeing, just things like 1-2 dribbles and pull up instead of side step or step back and pull up.

So what also makes me fine with it is that I don’t miss role players taking shots they don’t make very well and every big man who could get into position getting a couple of post-ups to throw up shots they don’t make very efficiently. Realistically, those are a good enough amount of the shots that were being taken in those mid-range scoring areas. Most of the top players/scorers are still taking a lot of different shots from different areas, and those are the guys I want to watch taking those shots anyways. Aesthetically, bad post-ups and spotting up from mid-range more vs 3PT is not really going to increase the excitement level for me.

Kaykoose wrote:It would be nice to see more variety offensively. More post play, more slashing would be great to see.

Is there an absence of slashing in the league? Haven’t really seen that, seems like slashing is very in still, certainly doesn’t play out in looking at where shots are coming from.

BloodNinja wrote:Too many 3's. We're at the point where some players give up an open layup and pass out for a 3. Ridiculous.
Correction, a seemingly open layup ;), but Boris Diaw has been doing this long before the 3PT shot was extra popular.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#49 » by Dennis 37 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:40 am

The Raptors played Houston in Japan this preseason. I was OK with the amount of threes taken up until those two games. I don't think the Raptors have played many back to backs with Houston. I was tired of three pointers by the end of those two games.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Mallie
Sophomore
And1: 260

Post#50 » by Mallie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:53 am

I kinda like it. At least if it makes sense in the flow of the offense.

To me, it's more appealing to see nice slashing action, cross pass or a couple of hockey passes ending in a wide open three, than someone shooting an iso midrange two after pumping the ball for 15 seconds.

But, this preseason might have done it for me. I have never seen so many threes taken before. I mean, I get it, fringe players who are fighting for their spot are going to do that. They're going out trying to show that they could shoot threes so they could hang onto a roster spot by being net neutral on D, and hitting a couple of open corner threes. Also, I believe it will tone down when the RS start, but still...it was mind numbing. As someone said in this thread - threes are perfectly fine unless you purposely take them at the expense of a better shot or before even trying to find a better look.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#51 » by Gooner » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:00 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:
Gooner wrote:I don't like it at all. It's just run and gun with no defense. It's accidental basketball.

Budenholzer laughs in your face. He coached one of the top defensive teams last year, while also 2nd in 3pa.

GSW used to be a top defensive team when they set a precedent on treys.

Just because some teams give up easy points, doesn't mean every team follows suit.

It's only a good defense in this non-defensive context, which is today's NBA. Their defense is also a bit gimmicky. Golden State playes great basketball on both ends of the court, it's more than just shooting threes. There have always been quite a few teams shootin more threes than them, even though they have the splash brothers.
C-Melo Man
Junior
And1: 197

Post#52 » by C-Melo Man » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:48 pm

WAY too many threes are taken and the emphasis of a post game & midrange jumper is being fazed out. I don't mind 3-pointers being taken when it's within rhythm of the game & offense, but not if they're being taken forcibly.
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,021

Post#53 » by SerialChiller » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:19 pm

Hell no..its overpowered and taking over the game.
jrask
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,158

Post#54 » by jrask » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:25 pm

I've come to enjoy the volume of 3balls shot in today's NBA

The league will adjust and I suspect at some point in the future the trends will change again (perhaps back to big-man ball)
No rebounds No rings
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#55 » by Stone » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:42 pm

Do we really want to go back to those Knicks 65-Heat 69 games of the 90's ?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
smallgains
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,369

Post#56 » by smallgains » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:50 pm

The league reminds me of pickup games with my friends....eventually, everyone is tossing up threes because they are tired.
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,080

Post#57 » by Tor_Raps » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:07 pm

It bothers me the most when you see a 2 on 1 or a 3 on 1 fast break but guys run to the 3 point instead of going to the hoop. Now I wouldnt mind if this was curry or klay doing it but it's the entire damn nba.

I'm watching the Raptors and you have guys like OG running to the 3 point line man. People are leaving you open in the half court and yet you think it's a good idea to park there on a man advantage fast break? Argh lol.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#58 » by boomershadow » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:24 pm

I think the three point shot is gonna become more common, not less, as teams figure out different ways to incorporate it into their offense. Even as common as it has gotten, I think we are still gonna see more and more. You got a couple teams in the league going against the grain, but not many. I'm not saying it's good or bad, but I am prepared to see more in the future and not less.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#59 » by Benedict_Boozer » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Hate it. Think of the beauty of the post game, mid range game, all that is moot now - it's a 3pt chuck fest.

Bigs don't even play like bigs anymore, the balance of the game with deep shooting/post game/midrange/dribble drive is what's fun to watch, or teams with different styles clashing with each other, every team doing the same stuff is a snooze fest.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#60 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:38 pm

I like it. The game is way more balanced now. Having almost no 3s taken made for an ugly clutch and grab fest of spammed midrange jumpers and uncalled fouls in the paint. There's skill in every aspect of the game so all this talk about making up for lack of skill is just bogus. And no, midrange jumpers and post battles aren't gone - they just aren't the be-all end-all anymore. And defense is still absolutely alive and kicking. The Sixers, Raptors and Bucks were absolutely amazing on defense in the playoffs last season. Defenses have evolved to be more than just one guy trying to physically overpower another which was flat out boring. Now it's a web of guys all read/reacting to opposing offensive sets as a single unit. They start playing defense from beyond 15 feet, too. The ball moves around a lot. While it leans a bit more towards 3s on balance, because the 3 is worth so much more than the 2 by %, the game is still much more varied and dynamic than it's basically ever been.
Bucket! Bucket!

Return to The General Board