sleep deprivation a problem in the NBA?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,234

Re: sleep deprivation a problem in the NBA? 

Post#81 » by boomershadow » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:43 pm

Billy Goat wrote:They have the offseason to sleep. This entire premise is cringey and out of touch.

Sleep isn't something you can save up for three months and use later on. And it is absolutely something that affects a person's mental and physical performance.

Now, we probably aren't talking about something on the level of Dennis Rodman gambling all night in Vegas and then showing up to the Finals with no sleep, but it has an effect.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,475

Post#82 » by LofJ » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Coby_Brian wrote:Kawhi Leonard - DNP (sleeping)

:falloff:

But more seriously, the league really should cut back on traveling but reducing inter-conference games to help address this issue. Do that and when the league inevitably expands to give Seattle and another city a team move Minnesota into the Eastern conference. They travel more than any other team and it's a huge competitive disadvantage for them, they are likely the most sleep deprived team in the NBA.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,610

Post#83 » by Billy Goat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:53 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Yeah, they should stop working out during the season too. I mean that's what the off season is for. Hell why even eat? Do that in the off season. Shoot why do they even bother with breathing? Just do it in the off season.

:roll:

Don't roll your eyes at me. You made an absurd comment.

The idea that lack of sleep for professional athletes, who are pampered beyond our wildest dreams, is going to resonate with the fans is whats absurd. That's all.
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,391

Post#84 » by And1+2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Sleep deprivation is an issue because the majority of NBA players (and other professional athletes, including Olympians) are taking Adderall or other ADHD medication. Not illegally, mind you. They all have prescriptions and they all have permission/exceptions.

Try taking a stimulant before going to the gym in the evening, see how well you sleep when you get home.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,214

Post#85 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Billy Goat wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Billy Goat wrote:
:roll:

Don't roll your eyes at me. You made an absurd comment.

The idea that lack of sleep for professional athletes, who are pampered beyond our wildest dreams, is going to resonate with the fans is whats absurd. That's all.

I would assume fans understand circadian rhythm and understand what travel and working at night does to the human body. I don't assume fans are complete morons who this wouldn't resonate extremely well with. We are not designed to be at peak athletic performance at night and our bodies take the lead from the sun on when to sleep. Travel plus working at night absolutely runs people down and everyone should know this. This article just brings out that the league is looking more into something everyone should know is a serious issue for the health of these players.

If you weren't aware of how important sleep is and how bad travel and working at night are for you, you might want to read into it.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#86 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:00 pm

I can’t speak for other culture, but sleep deprivation is an American, workaholic issue. There’s no doubt it affects NBA players and coaches who are constantly traveling and face a lot of stress in their lives.

As someone else mentioned, no one would bat an eye if every player was suffering from some other issue that was affecting their physical health. Sleep is important and hardly anyone gets enough in this country.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#87 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:07 pm

KqWIN wrote:I can’t speak for other culture, but sleep deprivation is an American, workaholic issue. There’s no doubt it affects NBA players and coaches who are constantly traveling and face a lot of stress in their lives.

As someone else mentioned, no one would bat an eye if every player was suffering from some other issue that was affecting their physical health. Sleep is important and hardly anyone gets enough in this country.

Completely untrue that this is an american issue or a workaholic issue (as if that's exclusive to americans). Just the amount of artificial light in modern society has wreaked havoc on natural sleep patterns of everyone in the developed world. Everyone having a computer/smart phone again just continues to compound the problem.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#88 » by KqWIN » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:12 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:I can’t speak for other culture, but sleep deprivation is an American, workaholic issue. There’s no doubt it affects NBA players and coaches who are constantly traveling and face a lot of stress in their lives.

Completely untrue that this is an american issue or a workaholic issue (as if that's exclusive to americans). Just the amount of artificial light in modern society has wreaked havoc on natural sleep patterns of everyone in the developed world. Everyone having a computer/smart phone again just continues to compound the problem.

I specifically stated that I can’t speak for other cultures. I know this is an American problem because I am an American and have read about it. I am not going say it’s a worldwide problem when I don’t know and haven’t educated myself on that.

I am also studied on workaholism, which is an issue in America and one of many issues within American culture and society that lead to sleep deprivation.

Certainly this is not “completely untrue”.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#89 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:40 pm

KqWIN wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I specifically stated that I can’t speak for other cultures. I know this is an American problem because I am an American and have read about it. I am not going say it’s a worldwide problem when I don’t know and haven’t educated myself on that.

I am also studied on workaholism, which is an issue in America and one of many issues within American culture and society that lead to sleep deprivation.

Certainly this is not “completely untrue”.

I missed your first line. Apologies.
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#90 » by NPZ » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:56 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:My heart is bleeding for these athletes. They work themselves to the bone for us... some even hold down two jobs and a side hustle. And for what? To play a game? The shame of it all. They must be exhausted!

:lol: Strong.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
NPZ
Analyst

Post#91 » by NPZ » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:59 pm

And1+2 wrote:Sleep deprivation is an issue because the majority of NBA players (and other professional athletes, including Olympians) are taking Adderall or other ADHD medication. Not illegally, mind you. They all have prescriptions and they all have permission/exceptions.

Try taking a stimulant before going to the gym in the evening, see how well you sleep when you get home.

Taking them just to work out is definitely stupid, but their effect on sleep wears off after about 2 wks of regular use. And they are also supposed to be taken when you wake up for a reason.

JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#92 » by JellosJigglin » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:17 pm

The average road trip in the NBA can't be more than a week or so. I know some teams have exceptions due to scheduling, like the Lakers' annual Grammy road trip, or cross country trips, but that's not a regular thing. These guys fly in luxury jets with seats that recline flat, stay in 5-star hotels, and then they're back in their own beds. If sleep deprivation is an issue its cause is more likely behavioral. That's easy to fix. You'd be amazed how quickly this issue would be fixed if players stopped going on social media for a week. They have IG thots in every city in America. Of course they're exhausted.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
so_bored
Pro Prospect
And1: 2,053

Post#93 » by so_bored » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Are we fans supposed to feel bad for these multi millionaire athletes because they are sleep deprived? Let me check my sleep schedule.....
And1+2
Head Coach

Post#94 » by And1+2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:05 pm

NPZ wrote:
And1+2 wrote:Sleep deprivation is an issue because the majority of NBA players (and other professional athletes, including Olympians) are taking Adderall or other ADHD medication. Not illegally, mind you. They all have prescriptions and they all have permission/exceptions.

Taking them just to work out is definitely stupid, but their effect on sleep wears off after about 2 wks of regular use. And they are also supposed to be taken when you wake up for a reason.

Yeah, obviously. But if you're a professional athlete with an Addy prescription I bet you're taking it before a game and not when you wake up.

Also, I disagree with that the effect on sleep wears off after regular use. I've been taking ADHD meds for about 10 years. If I miss taking it in the morning and take it mid-morning, say 10:00am, I am going to be up wired until 2:00 at the earliest. Usually I'm asleep by 11... But even then I can find it difficult at times.
Pan Jia Yuan
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,859

Post#95 » by Pan Jia Yuan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:25 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:My heart is bleeding for these athletes. They work themselves to the bone for us... some even hold down two jobs and a side hustle. And for what? To play a game? The shame of it all. They must be exhausted!

I've come to the conclusion that most folks don't really care that you broke one of the rules... they just enjoy telling you that you broke it.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,078

Post#96 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:27 pm

I'm sure with their travel schedule and stuff, its not an easy thing for them, but this isn't some major issue either.

Have ya'll ever listened to Jalen's podcast before? He's talked a lot about how players are out partying all the time and what not. Now, is every player doing this? No, probably not, but I doubt the ones sleeping are complaining about lack of rest either.
NPZ
Analyst

Post#97 » by NPZ » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:51 pm

And1+2 wrote:
NPZ wrote:

Yeah, obviously. But if you're a professional athlete with an Addy prescription I bet you're taking it before a game and not when you wake up.

Also, I disagree with that the effect on sleep wears off after regular use. I've been taking ADHD meds for about 10 years. If I miss taking it in the morning and take it mid-morning, say 10:00am, I am going to be up wired until 2:00 at the earliest. Usually I'm asleep by 11... But even then I can find it difficult at times.

Did your teeth clench/grind like a mofo on Addies? That's almost as bad as the sleep.

And1+2
Head Coach

Post#98 » by And1+2 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:37 pm

NPZ wrote:
And1+2 wrote:
NPZ wrote:

Did your teeth clench/grind like a mofo on Addies? That's almost as bad as the sleep.

I'm on a low enough dose that I don't do any teeth grinding, thankfully. My teeth are actually perfect for my age. I am 35 without a cavity or blemish... Unsure if that's normal or not, but most of my friends have at least a couple fillings.
dk1115
Sixth Man
And1: 920

Post#99 » by dk1115 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:20 am

Sleep cycles of an NBA player + travelling between time zones... that circadian rhythm must be way off man.

Return to The General Board