China and the NBA [day11]: Lebron weighs in on Morey's tweet

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Lebron speaks

Reasonable take. I have no problems with what he said.
11%
Wasn't that bad. We all are hypocrites and more or less put money above all else.
13%
Horrible take. Will have long lasting damages to his brand.
76%

Total votes: 272

lakers2020
Senior
And1: 513

Re: China and the NBA [day11]: Lebron weighs in on Morey's tweet 

Post#621 » by lakers2020 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:32 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:If Lebron was alive during slavery he'd take the side of slaveholders as long as they bought sneakers.

Lebron James proved his activism only extends as far as issues that don't significantly affect his pocketbook. Lebron James also proved for him one thing trumps all his so called principles: Money.

This is savage and unfortunately nobody can deny it now.

Lebron James is not a human, he's a corporation.
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#622 » by 13th Man » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:40 pm

lakers2020 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:If Lebron was alive during slavery he'd take the side of slaveholders as long as they bought sneakers.

Lebron James proved his activism only extends as far as issues that don't significantly affect his pocketbook. Lebron James also proved for him one thing trumps all his so called principles: Money.

Honestly, I don't think that'd be the case.

There's another plausible theory which was my initial hunch in that Lebron only cares about BLM, not CLM or any other lives that matter. Someone posted a human rights petition for either HK or mainland Chinese people in that Lebron and Damon Jones were the only 2 who didn't sign.

What if Lebron just doesn't give a rats ass about the human rights of any other group other than BL? This is why SAS is on the same page as Lebron wrt to the content of his message....could very well be and this is actually my theory behind his rationale.
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#623 » by longfellow44 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:40 pm

seems to me lebron is speaking from a place of greed and ignorance. He probably should educate himself on something outside of his pocket.
orlando_joe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,659

Post#624 » by orlando_joe » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:47 pm

13th Man wrote:
lakers2020 wrote:

There's another plausible theory which was my initial hunch in that Lebron only cares about BLM, not CLM or any other lives that matter. Someone posted a human rights petition for either HK or mainland Chinese people in that Lebron and Damon Jones were the only 2 who didn't sign.

What if Lebron just doesn't give a rats ass about the human rights of any other group other than BL? This is why SAS is on the same page as Lebron wrt to the content of his message....could very well be and this is actually my theory behind his rationale.

are you saying he is racist?
tyguy
Pro Prospect
And1: 660

Post#625 » by tyguy » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:51 pm

so_bored wrote:
ElectricMayhem wrote:The best thing I've learned from this thread is that Ira Newble is an awesome human being.

The sad thing I've learned from this thread based on poll results is that there are 27 (as of now) completely blind and ignorant Lebron fans on this forum led by The4thHorseman, as usual, who are going to defend this hypocrite fraud no matter what, probably until their death bed. I would understand if they were kids who are at an age of worshiping idols, but it's absolutely pathetic for adults to continue to defend him no matter what.

I'm a huge LeBron fan, but i've always hated his politics. At least the next time he makes some woke comment we can tell him to just pound the rock because he only cares about social justice until it might affect his wallet.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,283

Post#626 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:53 pm

Vader wrote:Image

They set fire at the entrance of subway. They definitely know how to burn stuff and lit up their freedom.

They're burning stuff, so what?

Imagine this......

"Hey guys, don't throw that tea into the harbor, it's destruction of property" :lol:
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#627 » by JayMKE » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:54 pm

I don't think many people find fault in Lebron for what he's given back to his community but he clearly is a worshiper of money above all else which is of course not always seen as a negative value in this country unfortunately but of you have to remember you can't serve two masters. I don't think Lebron is unintelligent by any means but he is by definition uneducated being a guy who was anointed early in high school and jumped straight to the NBA but he's a genius on the basketball court so you can't fault him entirely for his ignorance in other areas. I'm sure he has empathy for what he sees as his community but I think a lot of his political musings(agree or disagree with them) are essentially just marketing to make him seem like more than a basketball player. Him not signing that Ira Newble letter about Chinese involvement in the genocide in Darfur all those years ago is illuminating.

That's the difference between him and MJ, MJ kind of washed his hands of political issues whereas Lebron has cultivated this image of a politically conscious player which would be commendable if his motivations weren't 'building his brand'. Him listening when the PRC tells him to 'shut up and dribble' says all you need to know about his values and how seriously you should take his commentary in the future, it's really easy to score political points and get cheered on as 'brave' by an adoring media but it's another thing to truly speak truth to power. I hope that Lebron takes the opportunity to educate himself about the goings on in China and does a 180 here because his voice does matter with his stature as a global superstar, him trumpeting the CCP line about these protests is an awful look. Where do they make Lebron's shoes again?
FREE GIANNIS
13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Post#628 » by 13th Man » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:59 pm

orlando_joe wrote:
13th Man wrote:
lakers2020 wrote:

are you saying he is racist?

I'm not saying that he's racist, just saying that he doesn't care to help out any other community other than his own. I have some doubts that he is merely selling out to China solely for financial reasons, what if he just doesn't give a rats ass about the HK people? He even follows up the next day by inferring that not every issue needs to be dealt with meaning that it's not his prerogative to worry about it.

Lebron is a good chap for his community but he only talks about doing things for his own neighbourhood and for the Black community. This would also explain why he criticized MJ for not speaking up on social issues, because BL matters to him more than anything while others aren't as remotely important.

I know that nobody dares to go where I went but yeah I said it. Doesn't mean that I'm correct, just thinking outside of the box and going with my initial gut feeling.
tuffbull
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#629 » by tuffbull » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:02 am

Lebron is right about Morey wasn't educated on the issue. HongKong's society is very divided at the moment, you can't make assumption all people were suppressed by the government over there. Majority of people are against the violent protests that have been going on for months. It's not just about the democracy, many young people are under pressure living in HK and frustrated by the high cost of housing and a lack of job opportunities in the city. There's also a small group of people who don't want to accept HongKong is part of China after 150 years of British rule.
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#630 » by L3GEND4RY » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:08 am

If anyone has some time to burn. Max with a great take on this, IMO.

Signature by freshcontrast
mccluskey
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#631 » by mccluskey » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:22 am

TheProfessor wrote:This is disgusting on Lebron on so many levels. He basically just stated African american lives are more important than Chinese lives. When it's about BLM he's right up on his soap box yelling at the top of his lungs etc etc. etc. but when it's about other atrocities that affect his bottomline he shuts up and even tries silencing it. He's the worst type of human being.

100% agreed, he is and always has been a whining self-righteous narcissist with no integrity.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,227

Post#632 » by Tracymcgoaty » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:32 am

L3GEND4RY wrote:If anyone has some time to burn. Max with a great take on this, IMO.

i've always liked Max. Stephen A has always been a business comes before morals kind of guy hasn't he?

And the point of Stephen A saying why people want Lebron to speak out on it but not guys like morey? Because Lebron is known around the globe? What he says matters a hell of a lot more than some general manager. Especially when you want to be like Ali and MLK yet you do the complete opposite of what you're preaching. I love Lebron as a player but man it's just a bummer to be honest. But i never expect much from athletes when it comes to politics anyway.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
DLTGWH
Sixth Man
And1: 670

Post#633 » by DLTGWH » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:33 am

Pretty sure Bron said he ain’t worried about the oppression in China cuz he worried about getting his kids into college hahah whata dummy hahah
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#634 » by Bluewaterheaven » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:36 am

Source: u/Sim888 reddit
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#635 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:38 am

13th Man wrote:
lakers2020 wrote:

Stephen A Smith doesn’t typically take the pro-black rights view though (see his views on Kaepernick). He’s usually against Lebron’s public stances, they’re only aligned on this particular issue because SAS doesn’t believe in rocking the boat and putting your employer at risk.

It’s the exact reason why he bashed Kaep for kneeling and called Max a fool for defending him - he’s always been consistent on that viewpoint.
MoneyMo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,796

Post#636 » by MoneyMo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:38 am

Lebron speaks up on Black issues that directly impact HIS community such as police brutality and and racism. When has he stated he'll be a social warrior for everything?
milkii
Rookie
And1: 835

Post#637 » by milkii » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:40 am

If Hong Kong was full of black people, would LeBron James still feel the same?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#638 » by zimpy27 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:41 am

The level of language comprehension appears to be at an all-time low.

Perhaps posters are forming opinions based on the comments of others and not from the original source material.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,227

Post#639 » by Tracymcgoaty » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:43 am

MoneyMo wrote:Lebron speaks up on Black issues that directly impact HIS community such as police brutality and and racism. When has he stated he'll be a social warrior for everything?

Probably when he tweeted the Famous MLK quote ''Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere''
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Slimreaper703
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#640 » by Slimreaper703 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 am

LeBron probobly doesn't care about the Hong Kong oppression , Neither does he cares about the Spanish government’s oppression of the Catalonian people.

Can you blame him? Most Americans cant point to Hong Kong on a map.

Return to The General Board