China and the NBA [day11]: Lebron weighs in on Morey's tweet

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Lebron speaks

Reasonable take. I have no problems with what he said.
11%
Wasn't that bad. We all are hypocrites and more or less put money above all else.
13%
Horrible take. Will have long lasting damages to his brand.
76%

Total votes: 272

13th Man
General Manager
And1: 6,117

Re: China and the NBA [day11]: Lebron weighs in on Morey's tweet 

Post#641 » by 13th Man » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 am

Tracymcgoaty wrote:
MoneyMo wrote:Lebron speaks up on Black issues that directly impact HIS community such as police brutality and and racism. When has he stated he'll be a social warrior for everything?

Probably when he tweeted the Famous MLK quote ''Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere''

When it applies to BLM of course...
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#642 » by Bluewaterheaven » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:52 am

Slimreaper703 wrote:LeBron probobly doesn't care about the Hong Kong oppression , Neither does he cares about the Spanish government’s oppression of the Catalonian people.

Can you blame him? Most Americans cant point to Hong Kong on a map.

And most Europeans and Chinese couldn't point to Phoenix Arizona on the map either. What's your point? Are you saying we aren't a global society, and shouldn't give a damn about people across the pond? A lot of Nationalistic Trump supports believe the same damn thing.
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#643 » by LOUiS-D » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:53 am

Nuntius wrote:
LOUiS-D wrote:When freedom of speech is used in defense of basic human rights, the 'doesn't mean freedom from consequences' retort needs to f*** off. As a technologically sophisticated and ethically questionable civilization once we start allowing ourselves to be compelled against supporting human rights things could get dark really quick.

Staying silent doesn't mean freedom from consequences

I fully agree with your opinion but, unfortunately, this is what capitalism dictates. Nothing gets in the way of profits. Not even human rights.

For as much as the most powerful organisations (whether government or multinational corporation) influence public opinion they also bow to it. Capitalism wears whatever mask its audience wants it to wear. The NBA's just getting caught out trying to wear two opposing masks at once. Really they want this to blow over ASAP.
Run DLC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#644 » by Run DLC » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:55 am

I hope he’ll shut the **** up for the reminder of the season and focus on basketball instead of pretending to be someone he’s not.
Thanks for all the great memories, LeBron! The show must go on! #Heatnation
timLH
Junior
And1: 84

Post#645 » by timLH » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:56 am

I am a Hong Konger and live in HK for 30 years.

China invests much in HK over last 30 years and currently has control on all industries you can think of.

Many were fired just because they posted some negative comments about the hk gov/police on Facebook...
Run DLC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#646 » by Run DLC » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:56 am

She was right all along, he should’ve shut up and dribble.
Thanks for all the great memories, LeBron! The show must go on! #Heatnation
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,234

Post#647 » by Tracymcgoaty » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:58 am

timLH wrote:I am a Hong Konger and live in HK for 30 years.

China invests much in HK over last 30 years and currently has control on all industries you can think of.

Many were fired just because they posted some negative comments about the hk gov/police on Facebook...

Sent from my SM-G9600 using RealGM mobile app

Whats going on out there right now? I heard the protestors aren't just protesting for democracy but also housing crisis and job oppurtunities and such.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
timLH
Junior

Post#648 » by timLH » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:02 am

Tracymcgoaty wrote:

Whats going on out there right now? I heard the protestors aren't just protesting for democracy but also housing crisis and job oppurtunities and such.
Currently the subway shuts down at 10pm everyday, trying to stop protesters from going out;
Wearing mask during protest will be arrested;
Gov is trying to postpone or even cancel the upcoming district election in November to avoid ugly loss for the parties supporting her...

jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,806

Post#649 » by jc23 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:10 am

lebron would have came off better had he not thrown Morey under the bus. You cant say you dont know enough on the topic to speak about it in one breath and then say someone else was incorrect on that same topic.

As far as lebron only helping people from his hometown and speaking up about Black injustices in America; everyone is bias towards their own race/country/religion/gender etc...we are all basic like that. Doesnt mean he doesnt care about the people of China, im sure he does, he isnt some evil villian from a horror film.
Be curious, Not judgmental
fishfuego.
General Manager
And1: 8,594

Post#650 » by fishfuego. » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:12 am

Bluewaterheaven wrote:
Slimreaper703 wrote:LeBron probobly doesn't care about the Hong Kong oppression , Neither does he cares about the Spanish government’s oppression of the Catalonian people.

Can you blame him? Most Americans cant point to Hong Kong on a map.

And most Europeans and Chinese couldn't point to Phoenix Arizona on the map either. What's your point? Are you saying we aren't a global society, and shouldn't give a damn about people across the pond? A lot of Nationalistic Trump supports believe the same damn thing.

Or Obama not giving a flying duck about human rights in Cuba while doing business with one extremely oppressive government that has 12,000,000 slaves in an island that is surrounded by water and misery. Add to the fact that it was the very same Obama who stopped Cuban immigrants from stepping foot in The same US of A. Talk about irony.

Point is not every Trump supporter is a so called “Nationalistic” and many, probably more than Obama supporters, are engaged in church activities around the World. But I bet you don’t know that because you are embedded with the media fake hype, that would rather keep a hating divided nation with the destructive narrative.No I’m not a Trump supporter nor a hater. I just call it like I see it.

So yes, maybe keep the topic about Lebron who imo is all about Lebron.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,234

Post#651 » by Tracymcgoaty » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:16 am

timLH wrote:
Tracymcgoaty wrote:

Currently the subway shuts down at 10pm everyday, trying to stop protesters from going out;
Gov is trying to postpone or even cancel the upcoming district election in November to avoid ugly loss for the parties supporting her...

I read that she said they might explore further measures to end the protests. Just a question dude and i understand if you dont want to answer stuff like this on a forum..But protestors who burn things down and destroy shops are there a vast majority of them or are there just some radicals who all they want to do is find an excuse to destroy stuff? I understand if you dont want to answer.

All i can give is my support dude i hope you guys start seeing things get better in the near future.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#652 » by Buzzard » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:17 am

longfellow44 wrote:seems to me lebron is speaking from a place of greed and ignorance. He probably should educate himself on something outside of his pocket.

It is kind weird on LeBron's part to call Morey uninformed and uneducated on anything. LeBron has a high school degree and Morey has a Masters in Business. LeBron probably listens to a lot of people with a higher educations than himself; Morey is one of those people he would listen to if he was in his inner circle.

At the end of the day, LeBron's actions are pretty typical for any businessman who is protecting his own self interest. The oil companies do it after every spill and the NBA is doing it after a political spill ( tweet ). I think this will be a black eye for LeBron the self righteous activist for many years to come.

Go build your schools for the thousands Bron Bron but by all means defend those who in prison and deny basic free speech rights to the millions.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
timLH
Junior

Post#653 » by timLH » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:34 am

Tracymcgoaty wrote:
timLH wrote:
Tracymcgoaty wrote:

I read that she said they might explore further measures to end the protests. Just a question dude and i understand if you dont want to answer stuff like this on a forum..But protestors who burn things down and destroy shops are there a vast majority of them or are there just some radicals who all they want to do is find an excuse to destroy stuff? I understand if you dont want to answer.

All i can give is my support dude i hope you guys start seeing things get better in the near future.
The shops being destroyed are all Chinese based. All other shops are just "Business as usual". Those protesters are just a minority, and most of them are students or youngsters. They got the "If we burn, you burn with us" belief.

Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#654 » by Hindenburg » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:36 am

Look at this LeBron's cutscene from 2K20 (starts at 3:07) speaking up for kids all around the globe:

LAL
Sixth Man
And1: 2,860

Post#655 » by LAL » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:46 am

13th Man wrote:
lakers2020 wrote:
spikeslovechild wrote:If Lebron was alive during slavery he'd take the side of slaveholders as long as they bought sneakers.

Lebron James proved his activism only extends as far as issues that don't significantly affect his pocketbook. Lebron James also proved for him one thing trumps all his so called principles: Money.

This is savage and unfortunately nobody can deny it now.

Honestly, I don't think that'd be the case.

There's another plausible theory which was my initial hunch in that Lebron only cares about BLM, not CLM or any other lives that matter. Someone posted a human rights petition for either HK or mainland Chinese people in that Lebron and Damon Jones were the only 2 who didn't sign.

What if Lebron just doesn't give a rats ass about the human rights of any other group other than BL? This is why SAS is on the same page as Lebron wrt to the content of his message....could very well be and this is actually my theory behind his rationale.

That would just mean he’s a racist.
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,991

Post#656 » by spikeslovechild » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:46 am

orlando_joe wrote:
13th Man wrote:
lakers2020 wrote:
This is savage and unfortunately nobody can deny it now.

Honestly, I don't think that'd be the case.

There's another plausible theory which was my initial hunch in that Lebron only cares about BLM, not CLM or any other lives that matter. Someone posted a human rights petition for either HK or mainland Chinese people in that Lebron and Damon Jones were the only 2 who didn't sign.

What if Lebron just doesn't give a rats ass about the human rights of any other group other than BL? This is why SAS is on the same page as Lebron wrt to the content of his message....could very well be and this is actually my theory behind his rationale.

are you saying he is racist?

The whole point of BLM is to raise awareness of issues affecting black lives outside their own communities and for those outside to not only be aware but care.

So how do you remain silent on HK? Silent on the human right abuses of China? Or even worse take their money? Then still have the credibility to demand people pay attention to BLM? The answer is you don't.
Danny1616
General Manager
And1: 12,725

Post#657 » by Danny1616 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:54 am

Carlos_Danger wrote:I tolerated the horse-**** political crap out of LeBron, Kerr, et al. because (1) I don't mix my politics with my entertainment, and (2) I gave the benefit of the doubt and just assumed they had good intentions and were merely among the many mislead and whipped up into furor/fear by our absurd partisan media. I saw it happen on my "side" of the spectrum when people were blubbering about President Obama being a secret Muslim communist usurper.

My NBA viewing habits won't change because I still won't mix my politics with my entertainment, but I really don't want to hear jack-**** out of LeBron or any other high profile NBA players and coaches about mean ol' Donald Trump or mean ol' bathroom laws because now I know for a fact they're gutless opportunists who feign courage and standing up for what's right in the face of mostly imagined/hysterical "oppression" WHEN IT'S EASY TO DO SO, but have shown completely opposite TRUE colors when faced with actual tyranny and authoritarianism.

LeBron James is free to do what's best for business. But spare me any further virtue signaling, because now I know you're a phony.

Lebron James and Donald Trump are both ignorant hypocrites.

I mean you have Lebron portraying himself as some social activist when in reality he only cares about his personal wealth and prestige and you have Trump openly praising totalitarian regimes like China, Saudi Arabia, and Russia, while at the same time attacking all major western democracies.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,289

Post#658 » by rockmanslim » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:09 am

Bill Plaschke pulling no punches.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#659 » by Pennebaker » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:19 am

Danny1616 wrote:
Carlos_Danger wrote:I tolerated the horse-**** political crap out of LeBron, Kerr, et al. because (1) I don't mix my politics with my entertainment, and (2) I gave the benefit of the doubt and just assumed they had good intentions and were merely among the many mislead and whipped up into furor/fear by our absurd partisan media. I saw it happen on my "side" of the spectrum when people were blubbering about President Obama being a secret Muslim communist usurper.

My NBA viewing habits won't change because I still won't mix my politics with my entertainment, but I really don't want to hear jack-**** out of LeBron or any other high profile NBA players and coaches about mean ol' Donald Trump or mean ol' bathroom laws because now I know for a fact they're gutless opportunists who feign courage and standing up for what's right in the face of mostly imagined/hysterical "oppression" WHEN IT'S EASY TO DO SO, but have shown completely opposite TRUE colors when faced with actual tyranny and authoritarianism.

LeBron James is free to do what's best for business. But spare me any further virtue signaling, because now I know you're a phony.

Lebron James and Donald Trump are both ignorant hypocrites.

I mean you have Lebron portraying himself as some social activist when in reality he only cares about his personal wealth and prestige and you have Trump openly praising totalitarian regimes like China, Saudi Arabia, and Russia, while at the same time attacking all major western democracies.

Well if you consider that there are 1.4 billion people in China who are currently being demonized around the world, then LeBron is still a social activist, and a brave one at that, because he's going against popular sentiment (i.e. China = evil).

But Americans feel threatened by China. We dont like that they're becoming a superpower. The strength of their military bothers us. We dont like that their system has been economically successful beyond anyone's wildest dreams. And we want to see them fail miserably. That's essentially where the public sentiment is coming from. But we dont actually care about the rights of people in Hong Kong. We want to see China fail because we fear them. We're insecure and trying to make it a moral issue. But we have no moral leg to stand on either.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#660 » by Buzzard » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:23 am

rockmanslim wrote:Bill Plaschke pulling no punches.

American news media ( not ESPN or NBA TV lol ) is not going to bow down. Most of their interest is in the United States, so they will not lose anything. That was a good article and only the first real shots fired at LeBron's social change reputation.

What made the shot even worse, in LA, in LeBron's new backyard. Go sell those movies now.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2019-10-15/lebron-james-nba-china-daryl-morey-tweet-plaschke
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams

Return to The General Board