An input from someone living in China on the issue

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

euroleague
General Manager
And1: 1,869

An input from someone living in China on the issue 

Post#1 » by euroleague » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:16 am

I’m living and working just north of Beijing. People here have a mix of opinions on the matter. Many are passionate fans of the nba, and are furious/incredulous that Morey would ‘interfere in china’s internal affairs’.

Harden saying he loved China recieved a lot of support. In China, Harden and Lebron’s comments are being portrayed as the majority opinion of America - with Morey an ignorant individual whose job is only protected by ‘political correctness’.

Lebron’s comments calling Morey ignorant and misinformed, and telling him to not talk on the issue, are blasted everywhere, with Chinese citizens relieved they are right and supported in their political endeavors.

I hope those in the USA are happy with their ‘chosen one’ showing the world America’s colors.

Edit: which mod added the poll? And why is that in my thread, but no other ones? Can you not make your own? If that wasn’t a mod, please DM me
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Re: An input from in China on the issue 

Post#2 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:32 am

Agree or disagree, Morey stated his opinion. I'm guessing he was naive on the impact it would have, but I'd just love someone to explain how it was misinformed or uneducated.

Similarly I'd love LeBron to explain why players can wear t-shirts with political messages (which I personally had no issue with) but Morey can't tweet.

Without even addressing the issue in terms of Chinese domestic politics, the double standards here seem clearly related to the sizeable business impact this has, mostly due to how China deals with criticism, be it of a formal nature, or in this case a single tweet from a known personality.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#3 » by DCRYsing89 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:44 am

Wait so their own people don’t like freedom of speech?
Just wondering...

Like I know people from Hong Kong and Taiwan and they would cheer at Morey’s comments, and find LeBrons so hypocritical.
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
euroleague
General Manager

Post#4 » by euroleague » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:Agree or disagree, Morey stated his opinion. I'm guessing he was naive on the impact it would have, but I'd just love someone to explain how it was misinformed or uneducated.

Similarly I'd love LeBron to explain why players can wear t-shirts with political messages (which I personally had no issue with) but Morey can't tweet.

Without even addressing the issue in terms of Chinese domestic politics, the double standards here seem clearly related to the sizeable business impact this has, mostly due to how China deals with criticism, be it of a formal nature, or in this case a single tweet from a known personality.

I, also, am not discussing Chinese politics. However, claiming one country’s citizens have no right to discuss another country’s politics is questionable.

If that were true, then I don’t see why we condemned the holocaust - that’s internal affairs. Or why apartheid in South Africa was a bad thing.

If discussing the politics of another country is a bad thing according to china, I don’t know why they’re voting on the UN regarding Human Rights violations.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#5 » by shangrila » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:47 am

LewisnotMiller wrote:Agree or disagree, Morey stated his opinion. I'm guessing he was naive on the impact it would have, but I'd just love someone to explain how it was misinformed or uneducated.

That's the thing, isn't it? Makes you wonder if Lebron would speak up about racial issues if his contract could get voided or if Draymond would complain about the word "owner" if Nike or whoever would subsequently drop him.

The utter hypocrisy is sickening and de-legitimises anything they talk about going forward.
euroleague
General Manager

Post#6 » by euroleague » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:52 am

DCRYsing89 wrote:Wait so their own people don’t like freedom of speech?
Just wondering...

Like I know people from Hong Kong and Taiwan and they would cheer at Morey’s comments, and find LeBrons so hypocritical.

They consider unity and support for China to be more important.

In the eyes of people here, freedom of speech is Viewed as a destabilizing thing. Why do you need freedom of speech if you support your country?
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#7 » by Hugi Mancura » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:54 am

Just wondering...

Nobody likes freedom of speech if it is used against you no matter where you live. People like it when it is used to forward their own agenda's. True freedom of speech doesn't really exist anyway. Well, maybe in dark web and individual face to face conversations, but in public conversation there will always be some level of censorship in every country of the world. Off course in some countries there's more than others.
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

Post#8 » by kio80 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:54 am

Just wondering...

I am from Hong Kong, but I am hate Morey’s comments because he does not know what’s actually happening in Hong Kong.
Just because your way of freedom works for your country, does not mean it’s going to work for another country. Stop being so egotistic guys, stop forcing your ways down into someone else’s throat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
euroleague
General Manager

Post#9 » by euroleague » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:05 am

kio80 wrote:
Just wondering...

I am from Hong Kong, but I am hate Morey’s comments because he does not know what’s actually happening in Hong Kong.
Just because your way of freedom works for your country, does not mean it’s going to work for another country. Stop being so egotistic guys, stop forcing your ways down into someone else’s throat.

From most polls and projections, you are in the vast minority on that opinion.

He was supporting someone, not shoving his opinion down your throat
kio80
Sixth Man
And1: 1,076

An input from in China on the issue 

Post#10 » by kio80 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:08 am

euroleague wrote:
kio80 wrote:
Just wondering...

From most polls and projections, you are in the vast minority on that opinion.

He was supporting someone, not shoving his opinion down your throat

Haha what poll? What projections? Conducted by whom?
It’s funny when ignorant people talk of polls when there’s no actual prove of anything.

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:09 am

euroleague wrote:
Just wondering...

In the eyes of people here, freedom of speech is Viewed as a destabilizing thing. Why do you need freedom of speech if you support your country?

Sounds like a lot of brainwashed people...if you cant criticize your govt you're ****
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,142

Post#12 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:18 am

shangrila wrote:

That's the thing, isn't it? Makes you wonder if Lebron would speak up about racial issues if his contract could get voided or if Draymond would complain about the word "owner" if Nike or whoever would subsequently drop him.

The utter hypocrisy is sickening and de-legitimises anything they talk about going forward.

there is no "double standard" there is the single standard that america and western europe should stop interfering in the affairs of former semi-colonial countries, of imperialized nations. the "free hong kong" talk is only getting air play because we want to undermine china and split it up into parts like we've done throughout the world for the last century. unsurprisingly, chinese people think you should mind your own business and stop trying to carry on colonial traditions of white people dominating the political affairs of countries in the global south
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,591

Post#13 » by JayMKE » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:24 am

The PRC should be akin in people's minds to Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union, the PRC even has them beat at killing their own people.
FREE GIANNIS
udfa
Starter
And1: 2,821

Post#14 » by udfa » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:29 am

euroleague wrote:
Just wondering...

The logical extension of this asks why a person needs freedom at all if they support their country. No need to consider for yourself what is good, total obedience to the people in power is loyalty and anything else is treason. Same goes for health, prosperity and security. If you really support your country you'll put its interests ahead of your selfish own and suffer anything in happiness.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#15 » by DCRYsing89 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:54 am

euroleague wrote:
Just wondering...

I suppose, I do know asian Cultures tend to be very patriotic,

I suppose that is true trust, that the people above are good intentioned, which I feel it’s never right for individuals to not be allowed their voice,
But I also suppose it has lead to one of China’s most politically stable moments in history.

Personally I do think China is handling the Hong Kong incident wrong,
I hate seeing people hurt in general,
But different culture and not much I can do...
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,237

Post#16 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:26 am

kio80 wrote:
Just wondering...

You think Morey forced something down someone's throat?
How so?

The Chinese response on the other hand could certainly be described as 'forceful'.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,142

Post#17 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:37 am

JayMKE wrote:The PRC should be akin in people's minds to Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union, the PRC even has them beat at killing their own people.

this is tantamount to holocaust denial. what is it with people and trying to normalize the nazis? or is it just your own racist perception that chinese people are savage murderers?
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,591

Post#18 » by JayMKE » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:43 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
JayMKE wrote:The PRC should be akin in people's minds to Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union, the PRC even has them beat at killing their own people.

this is tantamount to holocaust denial. what is it with people and trying to normalize the nazis? or is it just your own racist perception that chinese people are savage murderers?

Talk about projection, genocide denial? How many millions of their own people do the Chinese communists have to kill for you not to sweep it under the rug? You should be ashamed.
FREE GIANNIS
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#19 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:51 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:

Two things. The statistics on deaths and other suffering in the Cultural Revolution are horrible. Also, a lot of Uighurs (sp?) are suffering right now, albeit for the most part not fatally.

So yes, China is up there with the USSR, Nazi Germany, North Korea and so on ... including, if you like, certain colonial powers. By absolute body count China is probably the worst of the worst, but by fraction of population I'm sure others would outpace it.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#20 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:03 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:

Two things. The statistics on deaths and other suffering in the Cultural Revolution are horrible. Also, a lot of Uighurs (sp?) are suffering right now, albeit for the most part not fatally.

So yes, China is up there with the USSR, Nazi Germany, North Korea and so on ... including, if you like, certain colonial powers. By absolute body count China is probably the worst of the worst, but by fraction of population I'm sure others would outpace it.

How about the USA? Where do they rank in body count and number of atrocities instigated/sponsored worldwide? Let’s not play dumb here..

Return to The General Board