What players do you wish you could have seen more of, but their careers were derailed by injuries?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Re: What players do you wish you could have seen more of, but their careers were derailed by injuries? 

Post#61 » by Ill News » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:13 am

Brandon Roy. I still remember him hitting that game-winning 28-foot 3-pointer to beat the Rockets in a regular season game, and of course, spearheading that 23-point comeback against the Mavs in 2011. The dude was cold-blooded.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,494

Re: What players do you wish you could have seen more of, but their careers were derailed by injuries? 

Post#62 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 am

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:Larry Bird
Andrew Bynum
Roy
Penny
Oden
Steve Nash

Nash was an allstar at age 38, it’s difficult to ask for much more after that when he was already one of the 3-4 oldest players in the league.

But you are forgetting that he was plagued by back spasms throughout his career and we never really saw what he could have been if had been 100% healthy.

People really forget how many issues he had, especially even on the mavs before he blew up. That said, there are better choices as many others never had a career due to injuries so I get that pushback too.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#63 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 am

Brandon Roy
Andrew Toney
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#64 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:17 am

TurinTurambar wrote:Is it out of line to consider Magic? HIV stopped his career on a dime after 12 years when he, like Larry, probably could have played closer to 20, given their savvy and lower physical impact style of play.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL no! Magic was honestly at his apex as a scorer when he retired. It was tragic. We had at least 2 more peak level magic years imo and we lost them, plus 4 years of just more magic!
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#66 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 am

DrWood wrote:We saw the prime of Larry Bird. He didn't miss many games until he'd passed his prime. Shouldn't even be considered.

Walton, David Thompson, Sabonis.

WHAT? you can't be upset you missed healthy years of a player post prime? Hell I LOVE and enjoy MORE seeing guys post prime who were all time greats. I love seeing how they change their game to use skill and experience over their athletic skills. That's what I as a basketball junkie LIVE for. Don't tell me I can't enjoy that!
TurinTurambar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,971

Post#67 » by TurinTurambar » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:20 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
TurinTurambar wrote:Is it out of line to consider Magic? HIV stopped his career on a dime after 12 years when he, like Larry, probably could have played closer to 20, given their savvy and lower physical impact style of play.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL no! Magic was honestly at his apex as a scorer when he retired. It was tragic. We had at least 2 more peak level magic years imo and we lost them, plus 4 years of just more magic!

Right? I'm really glad I'm not the only one who has been thinking this.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#68 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:22 am

TurinTurambar wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

Right? I'm really glad I'm not the only one who has been thinking this.

I mean watching a guy go from peak athlete to skilled older vet is amazing! It's why I am so sad about Pippen's career ending at 31 as an athlete and those injuries killing his later years. Magic is all the more tragic as we KNOW he could have played but aids was so unknown at the time.
keepsilence
Sophomore
And1: 69

Post#69 » by keepsilence » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:34 am

I wish Kelenna Azubuike's knees would have held up long enough to where he could have been a contributor on the first full season of the splash brothers.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#70 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:52 am

keepsilence wrote:I wish Kelenna Azubuike's knees would have held up long enough to where he could have been a contributor on the first full season of the splash brothers.

talking to my UK loving heart! That was sad for sure. He was a fun player to watch, nothing special but fun and fun is what it's all about!
Fantastik_Goat
Senior
And1: 576

Post#71 » by Fantastik_Goat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:09 am

Ronnie Fields
Chicago high school player, played with KD in 94 in high school. Averaged 32pts 12rb 5ast 4 1/2blk 4stls his senior year.
He was said to have a 51” vertical leap.
Broke his neck in car accident after graduation.
He made it back to basketball but never the NBA.
SerialChiller
Head Coach
And1: 11,021

Post#72 » by SerialChiller » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:03 am

Bit of a weird answer since he played 16 seasons and had a fantastic hof career. But Dwyane Wade...
If he didnt have such a bad knee that cut his prime short hed of been a top 10 player of all time for sure. Prime Wade was sadly too short lived.
GrindCityHustle
Starter
And1: 2,314

Post#73 » by GrindCityHustle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:45 am

Brandon Roy would have been a monster in the Spurs system if healthy his entire career. Dude was like Kobe clutch on all ends of the floor without the outside basketball drama or ego. Basically the perfect 2 guard in all aspects of the game from a gm/coachability standpoint. He only left the game because he might not walk again if he kept playing. That would have translated to titles with that type of drive and love for the game if given a real healthy prime.

I would say Penny but he started acting like a prima donna when Orlando couldn't win with him as the main guy after Shaq left. Had his coach fired, demanded a trade,etc..
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#74 » by winter_mute_13 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:35 am

Jonathan Bender - 7 ft perimeter player who would have been way ahead of his time. Never really took off though because of injuries.
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,334

Post#77 » by SpreeS » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:24 am

Sabonis and Walton could be in TOP20 of all time list.

Lewis, Hill, Hardaway, Bias, Roy, Yao, Oden, Toney, Arenas, Petrovic, McGrady and others
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#78 » by JN61 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:52 am

Heck I'm going to say I wish they had televised NBA games here sooner, so basically anyone prior to 00s. Only way was VHS tapes imported prior to that.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#79 » by DrWood » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:23 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
DrWood wrote:We saw the prime of Larry Bird. He didn't miss many games until he'd passed his prime. Shouldn't even be considered.

WHAT? you can't be upset you missed healthy years of a player post prime? Hell I LOVE and enjoy MORE seeing guys post prime who were all time greats. I love seeing how they change their game to use skill and experience over their athletic skills. That's what I as a basketball junkie LIVE for. Don't tell me I can't enjoy that!

You can't.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#80 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:45 am

DrWood wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

You can't.

Well I am so I've proven your hypothesis wrong! Post prime years are the most fun for me to watch!

Return to The General Board