What players do you wish you could have seen more of, but their careers were derailed by injuries?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Re: What players do you wish you could have seen more of, but their careers were derailed by injuries? 

Post#41 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:24 pm

The_Hater wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:Larry Bird
Andrew Bynum
Roy
Penny
Oden
Steve Nash

Nash was an allstar at age 38, it’s difficult to ask for much more after that when he was already one of the 3-4 oldest players in the league.

But you are forgetting that he was plagued by back spasms throughout his career and we never really saw what he could have been if had been 100% healthy.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: What players do you wish you could have seen more of, but their careers were derailed by injuries? 

Post#42 » by The_Hater » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:36 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:Larry Bird
Andrew Bynum
Roy
Penny
Oden
Steve Nash

Nash was an allstar at age 38, it’s difficult to ask for much more after that when he was already one of the 3-4 oldest players in the league.

But you are forgetting that he was plagued by back spasms throughout his career and we never really saw what he could have been if had been 100% healthy.

Don’t get me wrong, Nash is my favourite player ever, I just don’t feel I was robbed of seeing his greatness while he was in his late 30’s. Especially after he already won 2 MVP’s on the wrong side of 30 and was one of the oldest all-stars ever at age 38.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
TurinTurambar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,971

Post#43 » by TurinTurambar » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:45 pm

Is it out of line to consider Magic? HIV stopped his career on a dime after 12 years when he, like Larry, probably could have played closer to 20, given their savvy and lower physical impact style of play.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#44 » by kamaze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:11 am

Dejuan Wagner. He went to one year of college then got drafted by the Cavs and next thing you know he was gone.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,333

Post#45 » by bwgood77 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:18 am

kamaze wrote:Dejuan Wagner. He went to one year of college then got drafted by the Cavs and next thing you know he was gone.

Did he get injured? I remember him but just never thought he did much.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#46 » by kamaze » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:22 am

bwgood77 wrote:
kamaze wrote:Dejuan Wagner. He went to one year of college then got drafted by the Cavs and next thing you know he was gone.

Did he get injured? I remember him but just never thought he did much.

Damn I thought it was just a leg inury.

He was subsequently hospitalized with a serious condition called ulcerative colitis and had to have his colon removed
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,219

Post#47 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:17 am

Bill Walton, because if I had to pick one player in the history of the league, he’s the one guy that I think is most likely to finish top-10 all-time if not higher if he had a 10+ year career.
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#48 » by dautjazz » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:37 am

All-Star level Kirilenko, he was so fun to watch before injuries and DWill ruined him.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#49 » by Kabookalu » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:45 am

Yao Ming. I'm not sure if he could have further improved his game, though I wish we just got to see more of him in the playoffs. Even though he's only been out of the first round once I remember he always showed up. If he didn't get hurt against the Lakers maybe they knock them out early, they're the only team that took them to 7 games that postseason.
Read on Twitter
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#50 » by Black Mage » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:46 am

Markelle Fultz is the most recent one who looks like his career will be derailed by a mental injury.

Tracy McGrady is another one. Would have loved to have seen David Robinson end his career healthy and avoid the back issues.
AwkwardBoogaloo
Sophomore
And1: 391

Post#51 » by AwkwardBoogaloo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:47 am

My top 3 are prob Derrick Rose, Brandon Roy, and Yao Ming
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,907

Post#53 » by jayu70 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:10 am

Grant Hill, Penny and Larry Johnson.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#54 » by DrWood » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:40 am

We saw the prime of Larry Bird. He didn't miss many games until he'd passed his prime. Shouldn't even be considered.

Walton, David Thompson, Sabonis.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#55 » by macNcheese3 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:55 am

1) Grant Hill
2) Antonio Mcdyess
3) Jonathan Bender
Red_man1
Sophomore
And1: 115

Post#56 » by Red_man1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:01 am

LofJ wrote:Larry Johnson for me. We only got to see him at his best for a few years before a back injury made him a shell of his former self.

Now that I think about it, a lot of the best talents that came into the league in the early to mid 90's had their careers derailed because of injuries. Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, and Larry Johnson were all 1st or 2nd team All-NBA like talents.

Their athleticism being cut down is likely the reason why the early 2000's were such a weak period for the NBA. When those guys would have been in their primes, they were all role-players instead because of injuries.

Absolutely great point on the bottom half on the lack of superstars in the early 00s.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,423

Post#58 » by Capn'O » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:09 am

To rattle off some Knicks - Gallinari, Amar'e, and McDyess all had long careers but primes cut back by injuries.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,423

Post#59 » by Capn'O » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 am

Roy Tarpley and the aptly named Richard Dumas to drugs.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#60 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:35 am

Capn'O wrote:Roy Tarpley and the aptly named Richard Dumas to drugs.

Dumas was a fun player to watch. That dude had hops.

Return to The General Board