Carsen Edwards hits 8 straight threes and scores 26 points in the third quarter

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,245

Re: Carsen Edwards hits 8 straight threes and scores 26 points in the third quarter 

Post#61 » by itrsteve » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:37 pm

thebigbird wrote:No, they're not in chronological order. His percentages actually went down in conference play. 35% from the field and 30% from 3.

I agree there is no downside since he was a second round pick. Was just responding to the claim that he did this "on a daily basis" at Purdue.

Gotcha, just checking as I was too lazy to look it up. Maybe the Virginia game is burned into people's memories?

I know on draft night two of my friends from Indy were rolling over and gushing about the dude and couldn't believe how late he went. I wrote it off as homerism. But I'm not the most in tune with NCAA either.
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,967

Re: Carsen Edwards hits 8 straight threes and scores 26 points in the third quarter 

Post#62 » by thebigbird » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:51 pm

itrsteve wrote:
thebigbird wrote:No, they're not in chronological order. His percentages actually went down in conference play. 35% from the field and 30% from 3.

I agree there is no downside since he was a second round pick. Was just responding to the claim that he did this "on a daily basis" at Purdue.

Gotcha, just checking as I was too lazy to look it up. Maybe the Virginia game is burned into people's memories?

I know on draft night two of my friends from Indy were rolling over and gushing about the dude and couldn't believe how late he went. I wrote it off as homerism. But I'm not the most in tune with NCAA either.

I'm biased because I can't stand Purdue, but he's very streaky. He'll be on fire in some games and other times he'll shoot his team out of games. Last year he had 15 games where he shot 40% or better from three, and 15 games where he shot 30% or worse. Only 6 games in between 30 and 40%.

I'm an IU fan and he almost won the game for us last year because he shot so poorly. 4-24 from the field and 0-10 from 3. He won't stop shooting even if he's missing everything he throws up. And scoring is the only thing he can do. He had a negative assist/turnover ratio, which definitely isn't what you want from a 6' guard.
JohnnyNightrain
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,049

Post#63 » by JohnnyNightrain » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Did people, like, not watch the NCAA tournament?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/carsen-edwards-incredible-and-historic-ncaa-tournament-run-ends-in-crushing-defeat-for-purdue/

Of course, it's just one tournament, but it seems like even a casual fan would remember his run. His shooting percentages dipped a bit in his last year at Purdue, but he was top ten in the NCAA in scoring, which doesn't mean a lot, but he can definitely light it up.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,335

Post#64 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:32 pm

This is super impressive, but it hasn't changed my mind on him at all.

We all knew he could light up a scoreboard, anyone who has watched Purdue knows this. The problem is, he can't do it consistently, and on nights when his shot is off, he can shoot you out of the game. He was a career 41% shooter in college, and its just going to be more difficult to score in the NBA. His final year at Purdue, he shot 39% and had more turnovers than assists.

He's going to have games where he just goes ham, but I think more often than not he will be a net negative on the court.

Who knows though, time will tell.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#65 » by JonFromVA » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:59 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:The Cavs are really bad at defense.

They are and it was pre season but some of those were so deep behind the line

Oh, sure, Edwards can get red hot from 3 ... went 10 for 19 on 3's against UVA of all teams, also had some really bad 3pt shooting games .vs. teams that didn't go on to win the championship. Once he got rolling on the Cavs, he just clicked in to a rhythm like good shooters/scorers do.

The Cavs with the All-Time Worst Defensive Rating made a lot of players look like superstars last year, though.

I mean, Edwards performance was spectacular and is going to get the buzz ... but Waters had quite the night himself with better all-around numbers.
ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#66 » by ruffian253 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:18 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
LofJ wrote:Do people still think the Hornets are worse than the Cavs? The Hornets were actually competitive against the Celtics and just demolished the Grizzlies on their court. They're still bad (like top 5 worst), but they aren't the worst team in the league.

Hornets are definitely better than Cleveland and Memphis— I could definitely see them finishing ahead of another team or two as well.

In general, people **** on Rozier too much and he’s going to surprise people this year. Some dudes are just not meant to play off the bench because they cant play free/in a rhythm. I also love their 3/4 duo of Bridges/Washington. Their will be some ugly games, for sure, but their will be a lot of fun ones for you guys as well.

I would rank Memphis as having a better roster and outlook then both Hornets and Cavs, unfortunately, they are in the West whereas the other two are in the east, so the W/L will be somewhat misleading. Aside from the Cavs and maybe the Bulls, not sure what other teams in the East would have a better record. If we look at the entire NBA, I still will rank them 2nd to last (31st) with a big gap between them and the Suns (30th) based on roster alone.
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,445

Post#67 » by Scarletfire81 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:20 pm

I don't know what his ceiling his but he already looks way better than I thought at this point. An absolute steal when you look at other 2nd round picks.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#68 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:23 pm

ruffian253 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
LofJ wrote:Do people still think the Hornets are worse than the Cavs? The Hornets were actually competitive against the Celtics and just demolished the Grizzlies on their court. They're still bad (like top 5 worst), but they aren't the worst team in the league.

Hornets are definitely better than Cleveland and Memphis— I could definitely see them finishing ahead of another team or two as well.

In general, people **** on Rozier too much and he’s going to surprise people this year. Some dudes are just not meant to play off the bench because they cant play free/in a rhythm. I also love their 3/4 duo of Bridges/Washington. Their will be some ugly games, for sure, but their will be a lot of fun ones for you guys as well.

I would rank Memphis as having a better roster and outlook then both Hornets and Cavs, unfortunately, they are in the West whereas the other two are in the east, so the W/L will be somewhat misleading. Aside from the Cavs and maybe the Bulls, not sure what other teams in the East would have a better record. If we look at the entire NBA, I still will rank them 2nd to last (31st) with a big gap between them and the Suns (30th) based on roster alone.

Young players generally dont win in the NBA— if we were talking about who will be better in 2 to 3 years and going forward, I’m taking Memphis easily. But today? I think Charlotte wins more games this year.
ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#69 » by ruffian253 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:34 pm

flow wrote:Honest question here-

What are the scouting knocks on Edwards? Why did he go 33rd in the draft while Trey Young went 5th in his? Both have the Curry tag of being able to hit from anywhere at any time. Both are small.

Not a teenager. For some reason, GMs would rather draft one and done's rather than proven college players. If you are a Junior and to an extent a sophmore and still playing college basketball, you are damaged goods, which is crazy as these kids are only 20 and 21 year olds. If you look at the lottery draft projections for the next 2 drafts, they are a bunch of HS kids and freshmans. I really cant pinpoint why there is a much difference between 1-2 years in potential. For example, Edwards, Rui, Brandon Clarke vs Garland, Hayes, Cam...
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#70 » by TheHartBreakKid » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:35 pm

I agree with some that getting hot in one quarter in preseason isn't all that impressive.

That said, what is very impressive is his confidence, especially at the range he was shooting from. To me that's always been half of shooting. Of course that confidence isn't always necessarily a good thing as a player develops, but for a 21 year, I will always give them the benefit of the doubt and consider that a valuable asset for a player.
ropjhk
RealGM
And1: 10,538

Post#71 » by ropjhk » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:49 pm

impressive.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,866

Post#72 » by Goudelock » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:58 pm

ruffian253 wrote:

What are the scouting knocks on Edwards? Why did he go 33rd in the draft while Trey Young went 5th in his? Both have the Curry tag of being able to hit from anywhere at any time. Both are small.

Not a teenager. For some reason, GMs would rather draft one and done's rather than proven college players. If you are a Junior and to an extent a sophmore and still playing college basketball, you are damaged goods, which is crazy as these kids are only 20 and 21 year olds. If you look at the lottery draft projections for the next 2 drafts, they are a bunch of HS kids and freshmans. I really cant pinpoint why there is a much difference between 1-2 years in potential. For example, Edwards, Rui, Brandon Clarke vs Garland, Hayes, Cam...

Trae Young is also one of the best passers to come out of college in a while. If Carsen Edwards could pass half as well as Young, he'd have been a lottery pick. As it stands, Edwards is a 6'0 2-guard who doesn't have facilitating skills. Coming out of college, he fit the archetype of a Jimmer Fredette type, who lit it up against college players as an undersized two but lacked passing skills.

Now, if his shot does translate to the regular season, and he isn't a complete sieve on defense, then Edwards will certainly outperform his expected skills as a second-rounder. Hell, just from what I've seen in summer league and preseason, he looks like he should've been picked at least in the first round.
Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Post#73 » by Gant » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:07 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
ruffian253 wrote:

Trae Young is also one of the best passers to come out of college in a while. If Carsen Edwards could pass half as well as Young, he'd have been a lottery pick. As it stands, Edwards is a 6'0 2-guard who doesn't have facilitating skills. Coming out of college, he fit the archetype of a Jimmer Fredette type, who lit it up against college players as an undersized two but lacked passing skills.

Now, if his shot does translate to the regular season, and he isn't a complete sieve on defense, then Edwards will certainly outperform his expected skills as a second-rounder. Hell, just from what I've seen in summer league and preseason, he looks like he should've been picked at least in the first round.

That's a good post.

Edwards is a lot different from Fredette, or Young for that matter. As you say, Carsen Edwards is not at all a point guard and the two concerns raised, D and getting his shot off are the right ones to looks at.

Getting the shot off won't be an issue. He shoots mostly threes, with endless range, a super quick burst, a high release point for his height, takes them instantly from where no one expects, and jumps or leans back while doing it when need be.

D is something he'll have to adjust to. He has great strength and long arms, but his height will be an issue against some matchups. Also he'll be working on improving his defensive positioning a bit.

There's a lot of reason to be very optimistic about him.
First Take
Senior
And1: 414

Post#74 » by First Take » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:03 pm

Good for him. No one will remember this in years to come unless he can bring this to the NBA during meaningful games.
KIRAG
Veteran
And1: 2,544

Post#75 » by KIRAG » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:21 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

and it looks like Bacon will be their new Jeremy Lamb
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#76 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:01 am

Mamba4Goat wrote:ItS oNlY pReSeAsoN.

But I'm all about this kid. I think Boston should move Wanamaker and let him be behind Kemba and Smart. (Let Waters have Wanamakers spot)

I think of Edwards as playing next to Smart or, occasionally, Hayward. One really good pass in a recent highlight does not a PG of him make.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,322

Post#77 » by Froob » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:17 am

robbie84 wrote:Carson Edwards exposed.

This is the guy they wouldn’t trade for AD?

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#78 » by DrWood » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:26 am

Man, it must really suck to have the highpoint of your career be during a preseason game.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,390

Post#79 » by JonFromVA » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:21 am

ruffian253 wrote:

Upperclassmen are expected to play better as they have more experience and they're more physically mature. If you want to know why Trae went where he did and Carsen went where he did ... compare them as freshman.

Morant is a case where GMs looked beyond his freshman year and low level of competition and fell in love with what he did as a soph and his abilities.

The whole system is a mess IMO and its just nuts with the amount of money being spent that there isn't a better way to evaluate players entering the draft. But I guess the league makes so much money regardless that rolling the dice on an Anthony Bennett or a Hasheem Thabeet just doesn't matter all that much.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#80 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:41 am

The Comedian wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
To be fair, Thybulle has multiple first team all defense upside, as long as he hits enough from outside to play

Ok sure. But the Sixers could have had Tatum, Edwards, Grant Williams, and Langford but as a result of their dealings with Ainge they have only Thybulle instead.

I get that, I'm just saying that unlike with Fultz, they actually have someone who will be a big contributor this time.

Trades worked out crazy good for us though lol.

The Sixers did also get a pick for Fultz (2020 Thunder, and I haven't looked up the protections). But yeah -- they basically traded the picks eventually used on Tatum, Langford and Ty Jerome for the pick used on Thybulle plus that Thunder pick. I think that way of looking at it covers everything except junk contracts and cash.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to The General Board