Carsen Edwards hits 8 straight threes and scores 26 points in the third quarter

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,611

Re: Carsen Edwards hits 8 straight threes and scores 26 points in the third quarter 

Post#81 » by RB34 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:10 am

DrWood wrote:Man, it must really suck to have the highpoint of your career be during a preseason game.

Lol? This is dumb.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,411

Re: Carsen Edwards hits 8 straight threes and scores 26 points in the third quarter 

Post#82 » by reload141 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:15 am

RB34 wrote:
DrWood wrote:Man, it must really suck to have the highpoint of your career be during a preseason game.

Lol? This is dumb.

Leave him alone, this is his high point of his RealGM posting career.
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,379

Post#83 » by robbie84 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:49 am

xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:This is super impressive, but it hasn't changed my mind on him at all.

We all knew he could light up a scoreboard, anyone who has watched Purdue knows this. The problem is, he can't do it consistently, and on nights when his shot is off, he can shoot you out of the game. He was a career 41% shooter in college, and its just going to be more difficult to score in the NBA. His final year at Purdue, he shot 39% and had more turnovers than assists.

He's going to have games where he just goes ham, but I think more often than not he will be a net negative on the court.

Who knows though, time will tell.

Hard as the lead scorer on a college offense when you are the number one priority on defense for the opposing team.

NBA spacing could make his shot selection much easier/More efficient .
But yes, we'll need to see a solid sample size before coming to conclusions.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,314

Post#84 » by chrisab123 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:45 am

If Edwards was a few inches taller he would have been an easy lottery pick. This dude can ball.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,239

Post#85 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:12 am

Preseason or not, this is impressive.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#86 » by 100proof » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:07 pm

PockyCandy wrote:
ruffian253 wrote:
flow wrote:Honest question here-

What are the scouting knocks on Edwards? Why did he go 33rd in the draft while Trey Young went 5th in his? Both have the Curry tag of being able to hit from anywhere at any time. Both are small.

Not a teenager. For some reason, GMs would rather draft one and done's rather than proven college players. If you are a Junior and to an extent a sophmore and still playing college basketball, you are damaged goods, which is crazy as these kids are only 20 and 21 year olds. If you look at the lottery draft projections for the next 2 drafts, they are a bunch of HS kids and freshmans. I really cant pinpoint why there is a much difference between 1-2 years in potential. For example, Edwards, Rui, Brandon Clarke vs Garland, Hayes, Cam...

Trae Young is also one of the best passers to come out of college in a while. If Carsen Edwards could pass half as well as Young, he'd have been a lottery pick. As it stands, Edwards is a 6'0 2-guard who doesn't have facilitating skills. Coming out of college, he fit the archetype of a Jimmer Fredette type, who lit it up against college players as an undersized two but lacked passing skills.

Now, if his shot does translate to the regular season, and he isn't a complete sieve on defense, then Edwards will certainly outperform his expected skills as a second-rounder. Hell, just from what I've seen in summer league and preseason, he looks like he should've been picked at least in the first round.

He is solid enough defensively, and I think his true role will be a scoring point guard playing off a playmaker at the 2 or 3 spot. Someone like Hayward running offense and Carson just being himself out there would be a good tandem off the bench.
moderndarwin
Rookie
And1: 1,170

Post#87 » by moderndarwin » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:59 pm

He’ll be a top 10 player from this draft
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#88 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:02 pm

The Cavs aren't even a NBA team.
xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,319

Post#89 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:28 pm

robbie84 wrote:
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:This is super impressive, but it hasn't changed my mind on him at all.

We all knew he could light up a scoreboard, anyone who has watched Purdue knows this. The problem is, he can't do it consistently, and on nights when his shot is off, he can shoot you out of the game. He was a career 41% shooter in college, and its just going to be more difficult to score in the NBA. His final year at Purdue, he shot 39% and had more turnovers than assists.

He's going to have games where he just goes ham, but I think more often than not he will be a net negative on the court.

Who knows though, time will tell.

Hard as the lead scorer on a college offense when you are the number one priority on defense for the opposing team.

NBA spacing could make his shot selection much easier/More efficient .
But yes, we'll need to see a solid sample size before coming to conclusions.

The thing is, there are a lot of #1 options you can say that for, and yet, they all manage to be more efficient.

Watching his games, the dude just has no desire to have a better shot selection.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#90 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:58 pm

Idk why some ppl are hating.

He looks like a great pick up as a 6th man type.

Like your Lou Wills, Jamal Crawfords of the league...you don't need them to be great defenders (although obviously preferable). Carson looks like he can add great scoring punch off the bench to keep the team afloat when Kemba rests or if he is hurt, ironically playing almost like a poormans IT. Not sure what some ppl need to credit him as a good pick up considering his draft position.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,322

Post#91 » by Gant » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#92 » by DrWood » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:57 am

reload141 wrote:
RB34 wrote:

Lol? This is dumb.

No, it was the time I posted a selfie and people thought I was holding an anaconda.
reload141
RealGM

Post#93 » by reload141 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:02 am

DrWood wrote:
reload141 wrote:
RB34 wrote:
Lol? This is dumb.

No, it was the time I posted a selfie and people thought I was holding an anaconda.

You've taken a selfie with a naked Greg Oden? :o
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#94 » by DrWood » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 am

reload141 wrote:
DrWood wrote:
reload141 wrote:

Just because you're a Celtic fan doesn't mean you have to be a stereotypical Celtic fan. I hoped for better from you.
reload141
RealGM

Post#95 » by reload141 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 am

DrWood wrote:
reload141 wrote:
DrWood wrote:No, it was the time I posted a selfie and people thought I was holding an anaconda.

Just because you're a Celtic fan doesn't mean you have to be a stereotypical Celtic fan. I hoped for better from you.

Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#96 » by Tiny ball » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:38 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Idk why some ppl are hating.

He looks like a great pick up as a 6th man type.

Like your Lou Wills, Jamal Crawfords of the league...you don't need them to be great defenders (although obviously preferable). Carson looks like he can add great scoring punch off the bench to keep the team afloat when Kemba rests or if he is hurt, ironically playing almost like a poormans IT. Not sure what some ppl need to credit him as a good pick up considering his draft position.

He could turn out to be way more than poor man's IT. He might have trouble getting his assists up there, he might not get to the line like IT but with his scoring, better defense and stronger body he could blow peoples minds and make other teams cry like babies.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#97 » by Tiny ball » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:49 pm

moderndarwin wrote:He’ll be a top 10 player from this draft

I have a feeling you are right He might turn out top 5? Fred Van Vleet was not drafted and he is major reason Toronto won their championship. To me that pushes him way up there in that draft.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,472

Post#98 » by youngcrev » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:39 pm

It's annoying that he's not a Sixers. The exact type of player we could use off the bench. Though I'm not exactly mad about getting Thybulle.

Return to The General Board