Kendrick Perkins: “Players I talk to Never Say Anything Good About Rick Carlisle “

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,625

Re: Kendrick Perkins: “Player I talk to Never Say Anything Good About Rick Carlisle “ 

Post#21 » by Swish1906 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:37 pm

LloydFree wrote:Carlisle is a sacred cow. People are afraid to say anything negative about him. Meanwhile, he's on the road to a likely 4th straight sub 35 win season.

And if you see the roster and available talent, he pretty much overperformed every single year.

But hey, lets judge a coach just by his record :lol:
GrindCityHustle
Starter
And1: 2,316

Re: Kendrick Perkins: “Players I talk to Never Say Anything Good About Rick Carlisle “ 

Post#22 » by GrindCityHustle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:39 pm

No reporter will ever ask Rondo why he really quit on that Mavs playoff team when Carlisle was his coach.
It was done in such a bizarre way I'm surprised no one has leaked the real scoop on it.

It would also be interesting to see other real views on Carlisle since Cuban thinks he is his Phil Jackson even though that championship was like 9 seasons ago. Cuban must have a gag order of some kind in place internally. Didn't they have some weird office scandal a while back?

I do remember Detroit caning Rick then winning the championship the very next season. Everyone at the time was like Rick didn't deserve it being a 50 win coach.

And if we were to be honest.... Dave Joerger could have won the championship with Dirk playing out of his mind in 2011.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Re: Kendrick Perkins: “Player I talk to Never Say Anything Good About Rick Carlisle “ 

Post#23 » by Forte IV » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:40 pm

Swish1906 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:Carlisle is a sacred cow. People are afraid to say anything negative about him. Meanwhile, he's on the road to a likely 4th straight sub 35 win season.

And if you see the roster and available talent, he pretty much overperformed every single year.

I swear Rick Carlisle is the only guy to ever get a pass because of his "roster". Im not trying to hate or anything, and i'll probably get attacked by Mavs fans, but I've been asking for years why people think Rick Carlisle is a top 5 coach. I don't care what you say, if he was still a top 5 coach he'd make the playoffs with the rosters he was given.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
spicy6
Starter
And1: 1,841

Re: Kendrick Perkins: “Players I talk to Never Say Anything Good About Rick Carlisle “ 

Post#24 » by spicy6 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Hes still riding his "I won a title in 2011 so the management/the team must think im still a good coach" mantra. Hes overrated, the seasons/lack of postseason appearances have indicated that.
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,630

Post#25 » by kg01 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:48 pm

spicy6 wrote:Hes still riding his "I won a title in 2011 so the management/the team must think im still a good coach" mantra. Hes overrated, the seasons/lack of postseason appearances have indicated that.

It almost seems like he figures, "Welp, I don't got a championship roster so I guess I'll just mail it in. Hey, you 'member I won it all in '11, right?"

Oh man, TX Chuck is gonna kill me today.
king01 :king:
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#26 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:50 pm

spicy6 wrote:Hes still riding his "I won a title in 2011 so the management/the team must think im still a good coach" mantra. Hes overrated, the seasons/lack of postseason appearances have indicated that.

8/9 playoff appearances until the last 2 seasons. The 1 time he missed they were a .500 team. He just hasn't had the talent, though I'm not sure he'll have enough this year either.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
Swish1906
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Swish1906 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:52 pm

iamworthy wrote:This is not the first time I've heard this. I've also read that's why Dallas even with its no state taxes still have a hard time attracting top free agents.

And i heard its because they had ridiculous bad luck. So how about going into details instead of throwing around a single sentence.

Before 2010 they were pretty much always way over the cap.

2010: superfriends year, they used the cap to trade for Chandler
2011: Signed Odom and Carter and everyone thought it was a nice offseason for them. Too bad Odom was beyond done.
2012: Deron Williams signed with the Nets, told it was a 49:51 decision against the Mavs (too much Jay-Z hype etc)
2013: Fegan pretty much trying to push Dwight to Dallas because its the best fit but Dwight surprises with choosing Houston. Mavs going quickly after Iggy, who agrees to a deal if the over the cap Warriors cant find a deal (because they were his preferred choice). Like two hours before the deadline the Warriors had to get something done they are able to dump like 30m in contracts with the Jazz, who decided to blow it up and rebuil). Iggy signs with the Warriors instead of the Mavs
2014: Signed Chandler Parsons, at this time one of the better FA, Chandler has two season ending surgeries.
2015: DeAndre Jordan screws over their ENTIRE offseason, backing out after a week when every above average player was off the market.
2016: The entire league has max cap. Dirk finally reached the age where he isnt really a longterm asset anymore, so player arent looking to sign a long contract because they wanna play with Dirk. Mavs overpay Barnes...

So...looking back it wasnt that players didnt want to sign in Dallas. That streak 2011-2015 was so incredible unlucky, i really dont know any other team going through something like that. Odom from 6th man to drug bust, 49:51 with Deron, missing out on later finals MVP Iggy for freaking two hours and because a team decided to blow it up), Chandlers knee shortly done after signing him and as cherry on the cake DeAndre ruining an entire offseason in incredible fashion...
TheDoors24
Rookie
And1: 1,050

Post#28 » by TheDoors24 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:57 pm

dk1115 wrote:One of my friends tell me that Michael Jordan was a scrub.

The difference is NONE of your friends know MJ and Kendrick Perkins actually DOES know current NBA and ex NBA players soooooo.

You trying to discredit him doesn't work here.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#29 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:02 pm

Oh come on he’s good coach though he won the mavs a win with litimed roster , he hasn’t had much since . He finally have Luka and nice young core
Swish1906
Head Coach

Post#30 » by Swish1906 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:02 pm

GrindCityHustle wrote:No reporter will ever ask Rondo why he really quit on that Mavs playoff team when Carlisle was his coach.
It was done in such a bizarre way I'm surprised no one has leaked the real scoop on it.

The real scoop is that after the season the players had a voting about the additional playoff revenue share and they voted to NOT give Rondo his share. It was not a Rondo-Carlisle thing, the entire locker room disliked Rondo. And that locker room had Dirk, Harris, Tyson, Barea, Charlie V etc

It would be also be interesting to see other real views on Carlisle since Cuban thinks he is his Phil Jackson even though that championship was like 9 seasons ago. Cuban must have a gag order of some kind in place internally. Didn't they have some weird office scandal a while back?

:lol:

And if we were to be honest.... Dave Joerger could have won the championship with Dirk playing out of his mind in 2011.

Sure, Joerger would have the some insane ingame adjustments, lineup adjustments through every series and even within the finals (inserting Barea for Stevenson) etc etc :lol:

What an awesome post that was....
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#31 » by The_Hater » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:03 pm

What kind of ‘journalism’ is this exactly?

Perkins just needs to go away already. He’s useless.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
wutevahung
Pro Prospect
And1: 665

Post#32 » by wutevahung » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Rick Carlisle is an excellent strategy and tactician coach. He isn't afraid to go against conventional wisdom and be innovative. What keeps him from being an all time coach is his inability to bring people together, communicate with his players, and micromanaging each offensive possession, so yah, of course he isn't popular among players, but you cannot argue with his results. I think he has been a borderline top 5 coach, and mostly in top 10, in most of the years of his coaching career.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#33 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:06 pm

GrindCityHustle wrote:No reporter will ever ask Rondo why he really quit on that Mavs playoff team when Carlisle was his coach.

It would also be interesting to see other real views on Carlisle since Cuban thinks he is his Phil Jackson even though that championship was like 9 seasons ago. Cuban must have a gag order of some kind in place internally. Didn't they have some weird office scandal a while back?

I do remember Detroit caning Rick then winning the championship the very next season. Everyone at the time was like Rick didn't deserve it being a 50 win coach.

It took more than dirk playing out his mind, he manged a old kid , Jason terry who had decent year but is no HOF . His rotation and 3 point pick and rolls drove the heat crazy
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#34 » by The_Hater » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Frank Dux wrote:

Maybe five years ago he was seen as arguably the second best coach in the league.

He’s definitely been exposed since.

This kind of analysis drives me nuts. Give any coach a bad roster and they’re going to have a low win total. Talent still matters.

Carlisle has had countless years of overachieving rosters and has solidified himself as a top 5 coach.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
GrindCityHustle
Starter

Post#35 » by GrindCityHustle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:08 pm

Sure, Joerger would have the some insane ingame adjustments, lineup adjustmehts through every series and even within the finals (inserting Barea for Stevenson) etc etc :lol:

What an awesome post that was....

You are entitled to your opinion Mark.

Players not wanting to share revenues with a teammate?
Swish1906
Head Coach

Post#36 » by Swish1906 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:10 pm

Yeah because that teammate quitted on his team....thats why the other player wanted his ass out too.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#37 » by GQ Hot Dog » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:24 pm

Forte IV wrote:
Swish1906 wrote:

I swear Rick Carlisle is the only guy to ever get a pass because of his "roster". Im not trying to hate or anything, and i'll probably get attacked by Mavs fans, but I've been asking for years why people think Rick Carlisle is a top 5 coach. I don't care what you say, if he was still a top 5 coach he'd make the playoffs with the rosters he was given.

Because real top 5 coaches make the playoffs with any roster they get stuck with? Tell me who your top coach is and I bet I could name a roster he couldn't get into the playoffs.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
dtbrehm
Freshman
And1: 73

Post#38 » by dtbrehm » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:24 pm

GrindCityHustle wrote:I do remember Detroit caning Rick then winning the championship the very next season. Everyone at the time was like Rick didn't deserve it being a 50 win coach.

It was basically the Rasheed trade that put them over the top right? I thought they had a crazy win-rate after acquiring him.

Don't think that result says much about Rick.
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 3,941

Post#39 » by zonedefense » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:38 pm

RCs had success with 3 different franchises. He build the 00s Pistons and was kicked out after two 50 win season and winning COY in 2002.
He went back to Indiana and made the playoffs mutiple times. Even with an injured O´Neal and half the roster suspended in 04/05.
Same continued in Dallas with the peak in 2011 when they won a championship.
The last 3 seasons were a rebuild. Maybe he isn´t as good as he was anymore but I would wait at least two more years before I judge him.

RC isn´t the easiest coach for PGs to get along with. He likes to control the game and call plays from the sideline. He had some arguments with Kidd as well but they made it work. The Rondo situation was cleary a different case otherwise the locker room wouldn´t have choosen not to share the playoff revenue with him.
GrindCityHustle
Starter

Post#40 » by GrindCityHustle » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:39 pm

dtbrehm wrote:
GrindCityHustle wrote:I do remember Detroit caning Rick then winning the championship the very next season. Everyone at the time was like Rick didn't deserve it being a 50 win coach.

It was basically the Rasheed trade that put them over the top right? I thought they had a crazy win-rate after acquiring him.

Don't think that result says much about Rick.

Rick's criticism in Detroit was that he wouldn't play Prince or Okur enough and Dumars felt they were keys to Detroit's longterm success.

But I agree Rasheed is what pushed them over the top. They wouldn't have won it in 2004 without him under Brown or Carlisle.

Return to The General Board