Kings Offer Buddy Hield 4-yr/$92M Contract Extension; He Wants 4-yr/$110M

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Will Buddy Love sign the extension?

Yes, he’ll give in and sign it
23%
No, he’ll wait and become an UFA next Summer
77%

Total votes: 125

queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Re: Kings Offer Buddy Hield 4-yr/$92M Contract Extension; He Wants 4-yr/$110M 

Post#121 » by queridiculo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:53 pm

Edrees wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:
dc wrote:He should take it. Isn't he like 31 years old already?
He's about to turn 27. No reason to take that offer when Barnes just got 4/85 and Murray got 5/170. A nice compromise would be 4/100.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Actually there is a reason, and that's that the cap could be projected to drop, unlike in those situations where the cap was only projected to go higher.

Max deals are a percentage of the cap, so if the cap drops, so does the max deal..
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#122 » by deepeeenn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:58 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:I bet Hield’s agent has been working backchannels and has already confirmed some teams who would be willing to give him near max money if traded there. He’s not just talking like this for no reason.

Maybe? I mean, that’s still speculative. This is how negotiations work. Maybe the agent has, maybe they will “claim” they have. I’m not ready to assume anything without proof. I imagine the Kings FO has done some homework since acquiring him. I also imagine Heild values himself above reality?

One things for sure, that Barnes contract was a bad contract. And IMO, using it as a baseline for another seems... irresponsible. As a franchise that is. As a player I understand, you’re a better player, you should earn more. But how many players can we point out earn a fair salary? I think as far roster building, most non-all star players earn too much, their contracts hurt franchises.

Illmatic12 wrote:Shooters like Hield have extreme value in this league, everybody knows that.

No question about that but should it inflate their worth?id argue their are quite more players that can do what he does once given his role. That to me starts to say he’s not terribly unique.
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#123 » by SactoKingsFan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:00 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Edrees wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:He's about to turn 27. No reason to take that offer when Barnes just got 4/85 and Murray got 5/170. A nice compromise would be 4/100.

Actually there is a reason, and that's that the cap could be projected to drop, unlike in those situations where the cap was only projected to go higher.

Max deals are a percentage of the cap, so if the cap drops, so does the max deal..
The cap could drop 10% and Hield's max would still be quite a bit more than 4/92.

deepeeenn
Senior

Post#124 » by deepeeenn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:03 pm

Frank Dux wrote:
dpnim wrote:
Heild has significant less years under his belt (Middleton has 4 years more and Harris 5 more), especially multiple ones where he played at a high level. Track record is definitely valued in the league. He does not have that yet. Couple that with his age and potential trajectory, theyre not comparable in terms of salary and worth.

Buddy Hield is coming off of a historically great shooting year. He’s definitely proven his worth.

Come on. One year man. That’s just not enough.
“Proven” means over the course of atleast two, three consecutive seasons.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#125 » by Kobblehead » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:04 pm

Anyone else think Buddy was lowkey decent defensively last year?
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,658

Post#126 » by Jadoogar » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:05 pm

HoopsterJones wrote:I wonder if Nerlens Noel has any advice for these guys who aren’t franchise players betting on themselves.

Buddy Hield had a better season than anything Nerlens Noel has ever put up.
If he maintains his production from last season, some team will definitely give him the 110M

James Harden bet on himself, i wonder what his advice would be.
deepeeenn
Senior

Post#127 » by deepeeenn » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:11 pm

Jadoogar wrote:
HoopsterJones wrote:I wonder if Nerlens Noel has any advice for these guys who aren’t franchise players betting on themselves.

If he maintains his production from last season, some team will definitely give him the 110M

Harden also showed much more elite facets to his game than Buddy has. Buddy is an elite shooter not much else. He’s also at an age where those skills don’t manifest out of no where, especially at a sustainable level.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,578

Post#128 » by Swish1906 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:33 pm

Jadoogar wrote:

So lets say he blows his achilles within the first 40 games of the season...how much is he going to get next summer?
Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#129 » by Hindenburg » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:40 pm

Buddy is really confident for someone who only had one good year (on a 39 win team) so far. Let's see if that pays off.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach

Post#130 » by SactoKingsFan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:55 am

Now Hield is saying the current offer is insulting and even 4/100 wouldn't get it done. Vlade might have to up the offer to 110 or end up with a trade demand.

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,770

Post#131 » by BoogieTime » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:06 am

SactoKingsFan wrote:Now Hield is saying the current offer is insulting and even 4/100 wouldn't get it done. Vlade might have to up the offer to 110 or end up with a trade demand.

Where is the 4/100 wouldn’t get it done?
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach

Post#132 » by SactoKingsFan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:12 am

BoogieTime wrote:
SactoKingsFan wrote:Now Hield is saying the current offer is insulting and even 4/100 wouldn't get it done. Vlade might have to up the offer to 110 or end up with a trade demand.

Where is the 4/100 wouldn’t get it done?
From the Sac Bee article by Jason Anderson.

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#133 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:16 am

From a kings fan perspective, I’m curious do you think buddy hield is worth 4/110 after 1 season and he’s acting like this? I have no dog in the fight I’m legit curious how the fan base is thinking.

Wrong or right if I was a sac town fan his comment about “name a big free agent who signed here” would piss me off. He played great last year and if he’s so outraged about the contract well come back and do it again and you’ll get the money you want.

You guys have bagley, you have Fox I don’t wanna see you guys placate to his outcries if there is genuine apprehensiveness about a larger contract than what he was offered.
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach

Post#134 » by SactoKingsFan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:29 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:

From a kings fan perspective, I’m curious do you think buddy hield is worth 4/110 after 1 season and he’s acting like this? I have no dog in the fight I’m legit curious how the fan base is thinking.

Wrong or right if I was a sac town fan his comment about “name a big free agent who signed here” would piss me off. He played great last year and if he’s so outraged about the contract well come back and do it again and you’ll get the money you want.

You guys have bagley, you have Fox I don’t wanna see you guys placate to his outcries if there is genuine apprehensiveness about a larger contract than what he was offered.
I think 4/110 is a stretch/ overpay for a guy who just put it all together for 1 season and has a pretty limited skill set. Also don't like how he's been handling the situation. Talking about no big free agents ever signing with Kings, the insulting 92M offer and potentially moving on is just a bad look. Bodganovic got his 4/51 offer and kept it simple by saying he's in no rush to sign but wants to stay with Kings.

DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#135 » by DrWood » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:56 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:
DrWood wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
How has the Kings been dysfunctional over the past couple years? They seem to be a pretty stable and well run team since getting rid of Cousins.

Getting lucky on some draft picks doesn't make them stable.
They had planned to play Hield off the bench to open last season, and he only got his chance because of injuries. If I were him, I'd get as far away as I could.
They were going to bring him off the bench because he struggled when he started. BB was much better and Hield only started because of BB being injured

see, that's the thing. Thinking BB is better is what the Kings thought. Stupidity.
ConSarnit
Analyst
And1: 3,648

Post#136 » by ConSarnit » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:15 am

If you’re Hield I think you gotta take 4/100 (or close) if it’s on the table. You’re not an all star level player. Ask for a PO on the 4th year as a compromise. Go talk to Cousins or Nerlens about getting f’ed over. Just lock it in.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,568

Post#137 » by LightTheBeam » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:57 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:
DrWood wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
How has the Kings been dysfunctional over the past couple years? They seem to be a pretty stable and well run team since getting rid of Cousins.

Getting lucky on some draft picks doesn't make them stable.
They had planned to play Hield off the bench to open last season, and he only got his chance because of injuries. If I were him, I'd get as far away as I could.
They were going to bring him off the bench because he struggled when he started. BB was much better and Hield only started because of BB being injured

Dont feed
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,095

Post#138 » by stoo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:52 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:

After this Buddy thing, I wouldn't mind trading him and keeping Bogs
NotSinceWilt
Antinomy
Head Coach
And1: 7,617

Post#139 » by Antinomy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:19 am

Lol. Kings avoided giving Cousins the Supermax only to be held hostage by Buddy Hield over a $100 million contract :lol:

Ya hate to see it.
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,095

Post#140 » by stoo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:22 am

Antinomy wrote:Lol. Kings avoided giving Cousins the Supermax only to be held hostage by Buddy Hield over a $100 million contract :lol:

Ya hate to see it.

Nah.. Buddy is gonna spend some more time on the bench, watching bogi plays his pisition maybe better then him. Then he will have time to think, and then will be traded and get 4years 80 milions max from some other team. Kings are gonna get some good piece, i stopped doubting vlade
NotSinceWilt

Return to The General Board