Realistic trades involving Chris Paul

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Re: Realistic trades involving Chris Paul 

Post#61 » by lebron stopper » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:55 am

DwayneSchintzus wrote:
Ahmed1212 wrote:
DwayneSchintzus wrote:
There just isnt a good trade for him given his contract, the teams that need a point guard, and his age. My team is in a similar position with DeMar DeRozan.

Aren't the Spurs in talks of giving DeMar an extension?

Yeah, unfortunately. Do you guys want him back??

Hell no.

ThunderBolt wrote:Assuming he doesn’t have an injury(which is a big assumption) CP3s impact numbers will rise significantly in okc.

CP3 put up very good numbers without Harden (33.95 points per 100 possessions, 59.5% TS on 29.5% USG) the last two years, plus all CP3 lineups without Harden between 2017 and 2019 had a combined 114.7 ORtg, which is equivalent to a top 3 offense. CP3 also has good players like SGA/Gallo/Adams to work with. His isolation scoring ability has declined, but I can't see why he can't continue to be a high-level offensive initiator and three-point shooter, especially with those three guys to work with.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,285

Post#62 » by Catchall » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:59 am

Thunder are going to have to attach assets to move him. If they've got the cap space, they should just keep him.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#63 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:08 am

Yeah, he still puts up good numbers: $120M for the next 3 years, starting in the year when he's 34 years old. If a small market team like OKC wants to keep him, that's fine with me. It's not my money.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,236

Post#64 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:25 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Yeah, he still puts up good numbers: $120M for the next 3 years, starting in the year when he's 34 years old. If a small market team like OKC wants to keep him, that's fine with me. It's not my money.

OKC guaranteed salaries for 2020-2021 : $94,232,020
OKC guaranteed salaries for 2021-2022 : $47,918,273

We will have to sign players in order to stay above the minimum. People acting like we need to trade CP3 to save money. That's dumb.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,267

Post#65 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:33 am

og15 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
og15 wrote:Teams don't think Chris Paul isn't still very good, his market would be extremely different if he had a one year or even two year contract. What teams are concerned about is the combination of his age, his injury history and his contract, it's the combination of all three that's the problem for teams. If he was younger, totally different, if he was healthier, market is different, though age is still a concern. If he had a shorter contract, totally different.

Ok. So hes sucks. Then some people need to quit acting like OKC needs to attach assets to dump him because we can’t tank with his winning skills.

??? Did you read what I said properly? I might have confused with the double negative. Lol.

Teams still think he's very good, but they are afraid of taking on the burden of the combination of contract length, health concerns and age related decline. No one thinks he isn't effective when he's on the court, but there are multiple risks in taking on his contract. (1) He will hold up a good amount of cap, for 3 seasons, so if you're a team that can maybe do something cap wise in that span it's a problem because of (2) he might miss 20-25% of the season and miss games at critical times and (3) he might have an unexpected age related decline in the 2nd or 3rd remaining season of the contract.

So teams want to have some form of payment to help mitigate the possible risks of taking on his contract. OKC did the same thing in their trade for him.

For OKC, if he plays just 60 games and they win at a 57% rate with him and at a 40% rate without him, that will put them at about 43 wins. Of course he could play more games, Gallo also has an injury prone past which is a factor, but depending on what their plan is as a team, his presence might or might not affect them.

I understand what you are saying but i think a 57% rate is very generous. OKC’s schedule is especially tough early on. Also, the depth of this team is very thin. Gallo is expiring so I unless he gets injured, he’ll be traded. If gallo does get injured, even if this team had a healthy Chris Paul for 82 games, it’s a very limited offensive team.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Rastas
Starter
And1: 1,174

Post#66 » by Rastas » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:58 am

To Philly for Harris and Burks

Sent from my A5 using RealGM mobile app
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#67 » by NBAFan93 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:02 am

Curmudgeon wrote:What have people here been smoking? No one is taking CP3's deal unless OKC throws in major sweetners. Conversely, the last thing OKC wants is for CP3 to play well so that they draft from 7-15 instead of 1-7.

The situation screams "buyout." The Thunder save a few million and CP3 gets to go where he wants.

He’s owed $120M. Only possibility he gets moved in my opinion is he opts out of that final year of his contract in conjunction w/ a trade.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Post#68 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:18 am

Sure, at age 36 he's going to leave $40M on the table.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,735

Post#69 » by ConSarnit » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:01 am

Just so many difficult angles to work involving a CP3 trade.

-he’s still pretty good but you need to put him on load management x2 so he’s healthy for the playoffs (so say 50 games max per year at 25 min/game?)
-load management means you need depth to cover for him missing 40% of the season which leads into...
-he has a large salary so trading for him means probably giving up multiple pieces ie the depth you’d need in the first place to cover for him if you want him to be healthy in the playoffs

Who can possibly meet this criteria?
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,079

Post#70 » by shangrila » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:31 am

The_Hater wrote:CP3 + 1st round pick for Dragic/Johnson/Waiters.

CP3 + 1st round pick for Teague/Dieng

OKC isn’t getting assets back in order to move that contract, they’re going to have to add something else.

They can keep their pick if they swap Dieng with Wiggins.
mszymko
Pro Prospect
And1: 252

Post#71 » by mszymko » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:49 am

Buy him out and let him come play for one of the LA Teams!!!!!!!!
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#72 » by chrisab123 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:37 am

He probably somehow ends up a Laker if LeBron/Rich Paul makes a call to OKC and asks them to do so.

Return to The General Board