Paul to Westbrook is a pretty big loss for the Rox

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Paul to Westbrook is a pretty big loss for the Rox 

Post#1 » by mademan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:15 pm

Now WB played 15 more games than him last year, so that should obviously be taken into account, but Paul was still much better. The only thing that WB does better than paul is rebound and score more with significantly less efficiency. And defensively, Paul is still one of the best poing guards in the league on that end whereas WB is a liability.

Putting a high volume shot taker who cant really space the floor or defend beside Harden never made sense to me and i have no idea how the analytically inclined guys in Houston thought it was a good idea.
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Re: Paul to Westbrook is a pretty big loss for the Rox 

Post#2 » by Woody Allen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:22 pm

Paul wasn't a good fit for Harden-D'Antoni ball. Westbrook is even worse. I agree.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#3 » by BballIntellect » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:26 pm

They thought it was a good idea because :

1) They think Westbrook is a better player than Chris Paul.
2) Westbrook plays significantly more games than Chris Paul each year. It should in theory help Harden not having to carry as much of the load as he did last year.

Houston's front office belief (in particular Daryl Morey) is talent and stars above chemistry and fit.

So trading for the better, younger and more healthy superstar actually makes all the sense in the world if you consider how they operate.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#4 » by Forte IV » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Lets give them 20 or so games before we overreact. The pairing is obviously... uh curious? Sometimes I think it'll work really well, other times i'm not sure. But we gotta at least give them some time to work through the troubles.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:29 pm

Woody Allen wrote:Paul wasn't a good fit for Harden-D'Antoni ball. .

Why do some people keep saying this? What evidence are you using to make the claim he was a poor fit?

Paul was an excellent fit for the Rockets. His numbers when Harden sat were excellent, even last season, and they almost won the title after winning 65 games 2 seasons ago.They were the only team the past 2 season that gave a healthy Warriors juggernaut any sort of trouble in the playoffs. His numbers when he shared the floor with Harden weren't as good but that's because Harden had the ball in his hands most of the time, but CP3 was still an excellent shooter off-ball and an excellent defender.

The reason they traded him had nothing to do with fit, it had to do with CP3 getting older and probably fading as a player and not being able to stay healthy. That last part may have cost them an NBA title in 2018.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,273

Post#6 » by mademan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:33 pm

BballIntellect wrote:They thought it was a good idea because :

1) They think Westbrook is a better player than Chris Paul.
2) Westbrook plays significantly more games than Chris Paul each year. It should in theory help Harden not having to carry as much of the load as he did last year.

Houston's front office belief (in particular Daryl Morey) is talent and stars above chemistry and fit.

So trading for the better, younger and more healthy superstar actually makes all the sense in the world if you consider how they operate.

Younger and healthier, sure. Better? Not by vast majority of metrics
Woody Allen
General Manager
And1: 2,840

Post#7 » by Woody Allen » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Forte IV wrote:Lets give them 20 or so games before we overreact.

Who's overreacting? We're barely reacting, the thread is super mellow. Did you want us to say nothing at all?
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach
And1: 11,785

Post#8 » by Johnny Fontane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:35 pm

I'm pessimistic about the fit initially

But I think once Westbrook fully realizes it's Harden's team & takes the necessary backseat, Rockets will find their footing
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,211

Post#9 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:36 pm

The fact that russ took 11 threes in a preseason game proves he isn’t changing. In fact he’s getting worse. He had a quote last night about needing time to figure it out. He has been saying the same quote the last two years with his slow starts to the season. He’s had like 7 knee procedures. He’s falling fast. It’s kind of sad.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:40 pm

Pharenheit wrote:I'm pessimistic about the fit initially

But I think once Westbrook realizes it's Harden's team & takes the necessary backseat, Rockets will find their footing

George was clearly the better player between he and russ last year. Although russ deferred at times last year, it didn’t change who russ was at his core. It didn’t stop him from taking defensive possessions off, I’ll advised threes and not playing off the ball.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
BballIntellect
Junior

Post#11 » by BballIntellect » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:41 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:The fact that russ took 11 threes in a preseason game proves he isn’t changing. In fact he’s getting worse. He had a quote last night about needing time to figure it out. He has been saying the same quote the last two years with his slow starts to the season. He’s had like 7 knee procedures. He’s falling fast. It’s kind of sad.

Actually he is changing. Westbrook didn't take 11 threes per game in OKC. The Rockets philosophy is either shoot the three or the layup. He's just not very good at hitting shots efficiently from any part of the floor. That's it.
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#12 » by Forte IV » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:42 pm

Woody Allen wrote:
Forte IV wrote:Lets give them 20 or so games before we overreact.

Who's overreacting? We're barely reacting, the thread is super mellow. Did you want us to say nothing at all?

Creating a thread because of a pre-season game(s) is by default, overreacting
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 pm

BballIntellect wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:The fact that russ took 11 threes in a preseason game proves he isn’t changing. In fact he’s getting worse. He had a quote last night about needing time to figure it out. He has been saying the same quote the last two years with his slow starts to the season. He’s had like 7 knee procedures. He’s falling fast. It’s kind of sad.

Actually he is changing. Westbrook didn't take 11 threes per game in OKC. The Rockets philosophy is either shoot the three or the layup. He's just not very good at hitting shots efficiently from any part of the floor. That's it.

He’s shot 21 of them through 3 games which is a little above his average in okc. The 19% he’s hit so far is bad even for russ.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Johnny Fontane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:

But I think once Westbrook realizes it's Harden's team & takes the necessary backseat, Rockets will find their footing

George was clearly the better player between he and russ last year. Although russ deferred at times last year, it didn’t change who russ was at his core. It didn’t stop him from taking defensive possessions off, I’ll advised threes and not playing off the ball.

Nah even more of a backseat than he took last year to PG

20 shots per game is way out of the question for Westy if Rockets are going to succeed. CP3 was essentially 12 shots a game last year with Houston. WB will need to learn to defer like never before IMO
BballIntellect
Junior

Post#15 » by BballIntellect » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:51 pm

Pharenheit wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

20 shots per game is way out of the question for Westy if Rockets are going to succeed. CP3 was essentially 12 shots a game last year with Houston WB will need to learn to defer like never before

I think Houston can live with Westbrook taking 16 shots a game because Harden was taking too many shots last year. Wesbrook just can't shoot more than 16 a game. If he shoots 20 shots per game again, the Rockets are screwed.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,332

Post#16 » by ShotCreator » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:54 pm

People are looking at offense. He is way further away from Paul defensively than offensively. There was a large gap on that end in their primes but it’s only bigger now.
Swinging for the fences.
Johnny Fontane
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Johnny Fontane » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:55 pm

BballIntellect wrote:
Pharenheit wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

20 shots per game is way out of the question for Westy if Rockets are going to succeed. CP3 was essentially 12 shots a game last year with Houston WB will need to learn to defer like never before

I think Houston can live with Westbrook taking 16 shots a game because Harden was taking too many shots last year. Wesbrook just can't shoot more than 16 a game. If he shoots 20 shots per game again, the Rockets are screwed.

It will be a lesser offensive load on Harden for sure but WB is not a guy you can always rely upon at all times. 16 shots sounds about right
Liminy
Junior
And1: 189

Post#18 » by Liminy » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:00 pm

Neither one is a great fit with Harden but Westbrook is a tough fit with almost anyone.
BballIntellect
Junior

Post#19 » by BballIntellect » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:02 pm

I don't get how people keep pretending like Chris Paul was a good defender last year. He looked extremely slow and declined in every single way last year.

If Steph Curry is considered a defensive liability, then Chris Paul should be considered one too. Not to mention Chris Paul is barely 6 foot tall and teams used to get advantage all the time of the size and strenght taller guards and forwards had on him by bullying him in the post.
BVB24
Veteran
And1: 6,035

Post#20 » by BVB24 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:05 pm

I’ll reserve judgement for when they actually play some games together.

Return to The General Board