Raptors Fans to give out "Stand with Hong Kong" T-shirts @ home opener

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Raptors Fans to give out "Stand with Hong Kong" T-shirts @ home opener 

Post#1 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:52 pm

We have a very strong Hong Kong/Chinese immigration in Toronto.

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2019/10/pro-hong-kong-shirts-toronto-raptors-opening-game/

RealGM, what do you think of the Raptors fan giving out support to Hong Kong?
Go Raps!!
ZemGOAT
Veteran
And1: 5,729

Re: Raptors to give out "Stand with Hong Kong" T-shirts @ home opener 

Post#2 » by ZemGOAT » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:53 pm

It says Raptors fans not the team

"Raptors fans to give away thousands of pro-Hong Kong shirts on opening night"
RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,791

Re: Raptors to give out "Stand with Hong Kong" T-shirts @ home opener 

Post#3 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:55 pm

ZemGOAT wrote:It says Raptors fans not the team

Yup, corrected it.
Go Raps!!
TDotJon
Junior
And1: 514

Re: Raptors Fans to give out "Stand with Hong Kong" T-shirts @ home opener 

Post#4 » by TDotJon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:00 pm

we also have a large mainland chinese community............
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,902

Post#5 » by Jabroni Lames » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:01 pm

The NBA is going to shut it down... and rightfully so. Although I am 100% in favor of the HK protests, you are opening up a Pandora's Box if you allow the sports venues to become the preferred place for political protests. Or really, any type of public event that is not for that purpose. No issues if they are protesting outside the stadium or any other place of business in a publicly allowed place.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,652

Post#6 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:The NBA is going to shut it down... and rightfully so. Although I am 100% in favor of the HK protests, you are opening up a Pandora's Box if you allow the sports venues to become the preferred place for political protests. Or really, any type of public event that is not for that purpose. No issues if they are protesting outside the stadium or any other place of business in a publicly allowed place.

It would be much smarter to just let it go. You shut it down and you get the Streisand effect.
PD28
General Manager
And1: 13,473

Post#7 » by PD28 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:08 pm

Let's see how this plays out, I bet most can just wear it under their sweaters and wear it once the game starts.
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,844

Post#8 » by Duffman100 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:12 pm

TDotJon wrote:we also have a large mainland chinese community............

Pretty much every community is represented well in Toronto.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#9 » by sacking123 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:16 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:We have a very strong Hong Kong/Chinese immigration in Toronto.

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2019/10/pro-hong-kong-shirts-toronto-raptors-opening-game/

RealGM, what do you think of the Raptors fan giving out support to Hong Kong?

I mean good on them. Why not, stand up for what you believe in. People don't have to accept them right?
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,354

Post#10 » by CIN-C-STAR » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:20 pm

Hey, why not?
If players can wear "I can't breathe" t-shirts during pre-game warmups, then I don't see why fans can't wear an "I stand with Hong Kong" t-shirt during the game.
I'm sure the camera guys will be instructed to avoid putting them on camera at all cost, though.

The NBA opened this Pandora's box themselves. If you want to empower players and coaches to take political stands -- which I think is the right thing to do, as everyone has a right to their opinion -- don't be surprised when fans want the same privilege. You can't have one set of rules for the people making the money, and the people paying the money get censored. If the NBA tries to stop fans from being able to peacefully and politely express themselves, they're going to have a backlash in N. America possibly comparable to the backlash among Chinese fans.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by sacking123 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:22 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:The NBA is going to shut it down... and rightfully so. Although I am 100% in favor of the HK protests, you are opening up a Pandora's Box if you allow the sports venues to become the preferred place for political protests. Or really, any type of public event that is not for that purpose. No issues if they are protesting outside the stadium or any other place of business in a publicly allowed place.

Really?
It's been done by the teams themselves though. The Kings joining with Black Lives Matter after Stephon Clark? It's already been done. So why not fans? What right has the NBA or it's teams got to tell ticket holders what to wear to games?
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,146

Post#12 » by druggas » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:23 pm

Houston should be next to pass them out.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#13 » by Lalouie » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:24 pm

freedom of speech, man.
this is a really really really really silly question. i can't think of why you're asking this except because of all the brou ha ha regarding morey and the nba.

this is the nba's business. we're not responsible for what morey says, the nba is. it's not us, it's not lebron, it's not any player or fan.
i found the lebron thing utterly ludicrous. none of us have any deep knowledge of international affairs, and since this blew up in the nba's face all because of a dumb vacuous tweet, it's better to just leave it for other larger entities to deal with.

but i was told by a friend of mine who's family owns a chinese restaurant in san francisco, that the food in toronto is awesome. if that makes you feel better
Lord_Zedd
RealGM
And1: 19,793

Post#14 » by Lord_Zedd » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:24 pm

I'm all for Hong Kong

As long as it doesn't take away the main celebration of the night, when we're hoisting our championship banner up the rafters.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Post#15 » by binjumper » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Can we free Toronto's housing market from Hong Kong?
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#16 » by Metallikid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Great idea if you want to not be allowed into the game on opening night. I guarantee they will ask to see people's shirts/undo jackets.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,598

Post#17 » by dc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:28 pm

druggas wrote:Houston should be next to pass them out.

I thought it was a pretty good crack from some Rocket fans who said Morey should wear a "More than a GM" shirt whenever Lebron comes to play the Rockets.

I don't know if Morey would want to burst anyone else's bubble at that point, but it'd be funny if the crowd wore that, LOL.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#18 » by Metallikid » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:32 pm

simonbampfield wrote:

Really?
It's been done by the teams themselves though. The Kings joining with Black Lives Matter after Stephon Clark? It's already been done. So why not fans? What right has the NBA or it's teams got to tell ticket holders what to wear to games?

They have every single right here. We're not talking about peaceful protest on public property because it's not public property. They already won't let you take a backpack into the venue, you think they can't enforce a dress code? If they want to stay outside the venue that's fine with me, but don't try to come inside with those shirts.

A NBA game is NOT the place for a political protest, and no team would let it become one.
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by sacking123 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:36 pm

Metallikid wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

Really?

They have every single right here. We're not talking about peaceful protest on public property because it's not public property. They already won't let you take a backpack into the venue, you think they can't enforce a dress code? If they want to stay outside the venue that's fine with me, but don't try to come inside with those shirts.

A NBA game is NOT the place for a political protest, and no team would let it become one.

As I have said, the Kings have already done it as an NBA team.
If you honestly believe this would end well for the NBA to enforce a dress code policy on the fans then good luck with your thinking.
If the NBA were to do what your saying then shut it down, the NBA's way of thinking is falling into line with China overnight.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
Inevitable
RealGM
And1: 134,630

Post#20 » by Inevitable » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:42 pm

Really hope this doesn’t get shut down

Return to The General Board