Wiggins: 4 coaches in 6 years

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,659

Re: Wiggins: 4 coaches in 6 years 

Post#21 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:42 pm

Klomp wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I would say Wiggins is a big reason why the Wolves have had 4 coaches in that timespan.

Disagree.

Not his fault that Flip died. People underestimate how much that his death affected the franchise as a whole.

Of course that's not his fault. Sam Mitchell not working out and Thibs not working out could definitely be pointed towards him. If Wiggins performed to the level he was expected to (crazy high hype for some reason) or say to KAT's level. Im sure they wouldn't be on coach number 3 in 5 years. KAT has been able to put together a hell of a start to his career, why would we give Wiggins a pass because of the coaches even though it didnt effect the other #1 pick?

I just think some on here (the number is shrinking quickly over the last couple years) go out of their way to make excuses for Wiggins horrible play. No the dude just isn't a good basketball player. Every single year he is a negative on the court and has seen regression for 4 straight years.

The only thing he does on the court is score points, but the thing is he does that at a horrific efficiency. I cant think of a single aspect of the game he does at even an average level. His complete lack of progression in his career is actually quite astonishing.

4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and half a block, that is Wiggins every single year. It doesn't matte who the coach is, those are the stats he's going to give you. Toss in lazy defense and a TS% in the really low 50s. That is a Wiggins season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,948

Post#22 » by Klomp » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Sam Mitchell not working out and Thibs not working out could definitely be pointed towards him. If Wiggins performed to the level he was expected to (crazy high hype for some reason) or say to KAT's level. Im sure they wouldn't be on coach number 3 in 5 years. KAT has been able to put together a hell of a start to his career, why would we give Wiggins a pass because of the coaches even though it didnt effect the other #1 pick?

Sam was an interim. I think he was pretty much destined to just be an interim, unless they made a crazy run to the playoffs. Mitchell was also horrible with the media in his one year, which cannot be blamed on Wiggins either.

You can say KAT's put together a great start to his career, but I still believe coaching/management has held him back. Nothing to do with Wiggins either, just not putting them in the best spots to be successful.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,598

Post#23 » by dc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:55 pm

FWIW, Curry also had 4 different coaches in his first 6 years.

And 3 of those years were with Mark Jackson, which is basically as good as not having a coach.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#24 » by K4P » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:25 am

Optms wrote:Jimmy Butler was the best thing to happen to that franchise since KG was moved. An actual impact winning player. A top 15 guy. And they chose an overrated core who'd much rather just put up empty numbers (Kat) or just collect a check (Wiggins).

Easily one of the bottom 5 worst run franchises.

every good player on a bad team puts up empty stats?
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#25 » by Kabookalu » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:29 am

Wiggins should have been the kind of talent who could succeed regardless of his environment. He has every single physical gift needed to a great wing player in the NBA. Amazing first step, elite body control, great lateral quickness, explosive vertical. His worst case scenario should have been Gerald Wallace, a defensive dynamo with an elite driving game thanks to his athleticism. His awareness and IQ isn't great yes, but those concerns wouldn't be as notable if Wiggins just tried.

Forget about offense, it's baffling a player with Wiggins' length, height, and athleticism is a horrible defender.
Read on Twitter
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,659

Post#26 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:39 am

dc wrote:FWIW, Curry also had 4 different coaches in his first 6 years.

And 3 of those years were with Mark Jackson, which is basically as good as not having a coach.

Some may say having Mark Jackson as your head coach is actually worse than having no coach at all haha.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#27 » by Kabookalu » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:56 am

Wow, I was curious what Wiggins' driving stats looked like, and they exceeded my expectations. Compared to other wing players in the league, it's eye opening.

Drives per game

Devin Booker: 13.9
Luka Doncic: 14.7
Bradley Beal: 12.7
LeBron James: 12.4
Paul George: 10.0
Giannis Antetokounpo: 12.5
Kawhi Leonard: 13.6
James Harden: 19.6
DeMar DeRozan: 18.7
Jimmy Butler: 9.7
Andrew Wiggins: 7.9

A guy with his physical talents should be driving to the basket way way WAY more.

Read on Twitter
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#28 » by The_Hater » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:01 am

Lost Angel wrote:Wiggins is entering his 6th year playing for his 4th coach.

There’s also Draymond’s recent comments saying more blame should be shifted to bad franchises whose top picks don’t develop.

Have we been too tough on Wiggins? Can the 24 year old still turn it around?

Wiggins has had 4 coaches yet never changed his limited game for any of them. He doesn’t defend, he doesn’t pass, he doesn’t always play hard and he takes too many low percentage shots. Exact same issues as a rookie and in season 5, so what exactly has been the impact of having all these different coaches?

Seems like an excuse for chronic underachievement.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,185

Post#29 » by og15 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:02 am

Poor management, poor coaching etc can delay a players development, so maybe a guy who in a better situation gets to a certain level in year 3, but in the worse one, its in year 3.5 or year 4.

Those factors don't determine if a player is a star impact player vs if a player has low impact. Wiggins isn't the first or only player to have a lot of coaches in their first 5-6 seasons. Heck, DeMarcus Cousins had 4 coaches in 6 years and went from a 14/9/3 poor efficiency scorer to averaging 25/12/3 on average efficiency from year 4-6.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,287

Post#30 » by MrGoat » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:26 am

Someone 6' 8" with his wingspan and pretty much unlimited athleticism should not be as atrociously bad on defense as Wiggins is

Tom Thibodeau couldn't even get him to play defense, there's a reason Jimmy Butler stormed his way out of there like he did
Run DLC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#31 » by Run DLC » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:38 am

Give him more time, he’s still the next LeBron.
Thanks for all the great memories, LeBron! The show must go on! #Heatnation
PushDaRock
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,372

Post#32 » by PushDaRock » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:46 am

If he just stopped taking mid-range shots, he could be a solid player. To illustrate this, last season he took 46% of his FGA's on 2's outside of the restricted area and he shot a horrendous 33% on them. He's also a career 43% shooter from the corner on 3's. His first 2 years in the league he was also elite at drawing fouls. That's 2 things he can do reasonably well, but instead he keeps doing bunch of things he's not good at.
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#33 » by bulliedog8 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:53 am

Sadly, he just isn’t good. He will never change. Wolves need to bring him off the bench if they want to be good. Make him a 6 man
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#34 » by Pennebaker » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:25 am

Lost Angel wrote:Wiggins is entering his 6th year playing for his 4th coach.

There’s also Draymond’s recent comments saying more blame should be shifted to bad franchises whose top picks don’t develop.

Have we been too tough on Wiggins? Can the 24 year old still turn it around?

Wiggins would be the same guy even under a stable world class coaching staff.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#35 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:32 am

He did enough to stay in games. There are many recent top picks who can barely stay in the league.
BigtimeNBAfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,960

Post#36 » by BigtimeNBAfan » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:01 am

He ended the Twolves playoff drought. Give the kid another year or two to see what he can do. Not easy to make the playoffs in Minnesota and he proved he can. Kevin Love was praised constantly by this board and never did what Wiggins did.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,067

Post#37 » by shangrila » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:29 am

Duke4life831 wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I would say Wiggins is a big reason why the Wolves have had 4 coaches in that timespan.

Disagree.

Not his fault that Flip died. People underestimate how much that his death affected the franchise as a whole.

Of course that's not his fault. Sam Mitchell not working out and Thibs not working out could definitely be pointed towards him. If Wiggins performed to the level he was expected to (crazy high hype for some reason) or say to KAT's level. Im sure they wouldn't be on coach number 3 in 5 years. KAT has been able to put together a hell of a start to his career, why would we give Wiggins a pass because of the coaches even though it didnt effect the other #1 pick?

I just think some on here (the number is shrinking quickly over the last couple years) go out of their way to make excuses for Wiggins horrible play. No the dude just isn't a good basketball player. Every single year he is a negative on the court and has seen regression for 4 straight years.

The only thing he does on the court is score points, but the thing is he does that at a horrific efficiency. I cant think of a single aspect of the game he does at even an average level. His complete lack of progression in his career is actually quite astonishing.

4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal and half a block, that is Wiggins every single year. It doesn't matte who the coach is, those are the stats he's going to give you. Toss in lazy defense and a TS% in the really low 50s. That is a Wiggins season.

Pretty much.

KAT has had no problems developing into a borderline superstar in near identical circumstances and I watched Kevin Love develop into a star playing for Kurt freaking Rambis. Coaching can help but so does talent and unfortunately for Wiggins he's had neither.

And given what I've seen in preseason I don't think this year will be any different. Hopefully Rosas and co can dump him somewhere else soon.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,600

Post#38 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:46 am

One of the reasons one of his coaches was fired is that he gave him that stupid extension

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,850

Post#39 » by Zeitgeister » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:01 am

Wiggins is just utterly and completely care free, he doesn't particularly care about basketball and he has some of the worst hands I've seen from a wing. This is a guy that had a $150 million dollar contract waiting to be signed in Minnesota and he was hanging out in Canada getting high and playing Call of Duty or something while people in Minnesota were wondering what was taking him so long to sign. He did find the time to fire his agent after the contract was negotiated though, I assume so that he wouldn't have to pay him as much?
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#40 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:44 am

REVEAL YOURSELF, FAILURE! DOTH THOU BE NATURE? OR DOTH THOU BE NURTURE???
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!

Return to The General Board