The 2019 GM Survey: Are They A Joke Or Trolling (?) Edition

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Yallbecrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,705

Re: The 2019 GM Survey: Are They A Joke Or Trolling (?) Edition 

Post#21 » by Yallbecrazy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:11 pm

People who don't think Kawhi is a top defender:
Please explain why the Warriors never (or pretty much never- I can't confirm if they did it once or twice) ran a Draymond-Curry PnR the entire Finals with Kawhi on the court when it was their most efficient offensive play vs every other team?
And1+2
Head Coach
And1: 10,408

Post#22 » by And1+2 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:17 pm

To be fair, there are only a handful of respectable and competent GMs in the league. They are not trolling, they are just stupid.

Also, Kawhi is the best defender in the league... When he wants to be. That not going to be the regular season. I personally respect that.

Will the Clippers be the best defensive team in the NBA? Yes. Because they will have the best perimeter defense in the league and most teams are perimeter oriented now-a-days. Do they also have glaring holes that will ultimately cost them the championship against teams like the Lakers, Nuggets, and Philly? Also yes.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,605

Post#23 » by nomansland » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:31 pm

UcanUwill wrote:As a Euroleague fan, I always looking forward to ''Who is the best international player NOT in the NBA'' answers, because it always provide WTF answers. THis year someone voted for Deni Avdija who is like 10th. player on his Israeli team, but ok. But for the most part they probably got this one right with Mirotic and De Colo, altho De Colo is better, Llull is nowhere close to best player anyymore tho, I would much rater have Campazzo.

Speaking about Kawhi, he coasted in regular season, but his defense in playoffs was amazing.

If I were an NBA GM answering that particular question there's no way I'd give a real answer. Why tell all of the other GM's who's on your scouting radar?
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,711

Post#24 » by UcanUwill » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:54 pm

nomansland wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:As a Euroleague fan, I always looking forward to ''Who is the best international player NOT in the NBA'' answers, because it always provide WTF answers. THis year someone voted for Deni Avdija who is like 10th. player on his Israeli team, but ok. But for the most part they probably got this one right with Mirotic and De Colo, altho De Colo is better, Llull is nowhere close to best player anyymore tho, I would much rater have Campazzo.

Speaking about Kawhi, he coasted in regular season, but his defense in playoffs was amazing.

If I were an NBA GM answering that particular question there's no way I'd give a real answer. Why tell all of the other GM's who's on your scouting radar?

I dont think naming best Non NBA player is some kind obscure reveal. If thats the case, I should get an NBA job, because I am very well familiar with NBA and Euroleague, so give me a call Darryl or Masai :lol:
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,089

Post#25 » by MGB8 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:24 pm

And1+2 wrote:To be fair, there are only a handful of respectable and competent GMs in the league. They are not trolling, they are just stupid.

Also, Kawhi is the best defender in the league... When he wants to be. That not going to be the regular season. I personally respect that.

Will the Clippers be the best defensive team in the NBA? Yes. Because they will have the best perimeter defense in the league and most teams are perimeter oriented now-a-days. Do they also have glaring holes that will ultimately cost them the championship against teams like the Lakers, Nuggets, and Philly? Also yes.

I think you hit on two things.

On "best defender in the league," there is a lot of room into how you interpret the question. What if you think perimeter defense is more important than interior defense (especially in this age of the 3-ball)? What about defensive versatility or the ability to switch? Team defense or man defense, or a mix? And are we talking "best defender during the regular season" or "best defender when it counts?"

The same can be said for "best defensive team." If perimeter defense is the primary consideration, and only when it is needed to go into "lock down" mode, then rolling out the Beverly, George, Leonard, J.Green, M.Harrell lineup is going to be very effective, both in terms of ability to switch and also to get out on the perimeter and defend.

I am not sure that there is going to be a team that is going to have a better defensive lineup. Arguably the Lakers if Bradley returns to form and Lebron is trying (with Bradley-D.Green-Lebron-A.Davis-McGee or, for a smaller lineup, Bradley-KCP-D.Green-Lebron-A.Davis). I doubt it will be the Jazz, Mitchell is "meh" on defense as are Bogdanovic and Ingles. Spurs will be strong, as always, but lack some on defense at the wings.

In the East, the Raptors will be in the mix in due to the Lowry-Siakam-Ibaka/Gasol trios + OG... but the 2 is questionable (and OG a touch overrated on the defensive end). Sixers could be in the mix, too - Harris is actually not a bad defender and everyone else among the starters is good. Bucks also have strong defensive lineups to put out there (assuming health).

Heat could be interesting with Winslow-Butler-Jones-Bam foursome and one of Leonard or a non-fat James Johnson who is paying attention and in shape (in the rare cases that happens).
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,971

Post#26 » by RCM88x » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:26 pm

I'm sure most of these Surveys are filled out by interns or even friends lol.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,253

Post#27 » by Catchall » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:33 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:
Catchall wrote:FWIW, I think Jimmy Butler is as good a perimeter defender as Kawhi at this stage of their careers. Paul George can also take guys out of the game with defense. Keep an eye on Jonathan Issac defensively this year.

Jimmy's an excellent defender, but I have 2 problems with this statement.
1. Kawhi is just so much more physically gifted. 7 foot 3 wingspan with hands like Shaq/Jordan/Giannis. Jimmy has arms a touch under 6'8. Jimmy is a strong average sized wing. Kawhi is a high level physical force. This means Kawhi can guard way more kinds of players. He can mess up centers for a few positions and has no problems with any kind of wing or power forward. Jimmy can hold his own against a Blake Griffin post up due to his strength, but has a harder time bothering shots on big wings. Ben Simmons was a much more effective defender on Kawhi in the playoffs than Butler was.
2. Jimmy is slowing down a little bit. He's older than Kawhi and similarly saves a bit more for offense than he used to. He's still a great defender, but he's 30 and likes to scamper and grind a little bit less. Kawhi is 28 an although he has a less hyper persona than Butler, he's a smarter defender. Kawhi can still put the clamps on anyone when necessary. Jimmy is a beast but there are certain players that aren't a good matchup for him.

Okay, that's fair. I've seen Jimmy guard 1s, and that's part of it for me. It also seems like Kawhi picks his spots to really guard now.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#28 » by Triples333 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:11 pm

MartyConlonJr wrote:OP should probably give their predictions so we can compare.

That's fair. The best defender should go to Gobert or Draymond, with Embiid, Giannis and Covington all having a clear edge now as well. Kawhi is very good against a guy like Giannis for limited stretches, but even in the playoffs he was not dominant by and large, or even his teams best defender. For him to be a runaway #1 is absurd.

To that point, there is no argument for the Clippers above a team like the Jazz defensively. Even Beverley is a limited - albeit tenacious - defender. They are going to struggle in the paint and it severely caps their ceiling as a defensive force, post season included.

It's take your pick among a breakout player, but Fox just makes no sense. Their #2 of Jackson is a fine choice.

Ill stick to those since those were 3 of the ones I highlighted.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#29 » by sacking123 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:50 pm

rtiff68 wrote:It could also be a case of them evaluating how good a team or individual can/will be when performing at their peak level as opposed to where said person/team will finish in the rankings.

For example, due to games missed, taking time off on defense due to carrying an offensive load, etc. I agree that the Clippers will not be the best defensive team in the league. That said, in a playoff series-- with everything on the line-- could that personnel playing at max effort defensively potentially be the strongest unit in the league or close to it? I would say so.

Think of LeBron's defense during the regular season his last stint in Cleveland, and then compare it to the defense he played in the playoffs...

..two polar opposite players.

This is exactly spot on. I think OP has pulled the old dippedy doo switch a Roo Troll on us here. OP can’t be serious that they think it’s so far out of question that these examples were the results.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#30 » by Triples333 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:18 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:It could also be a case of them evaluating how good a team or individual can/will be when performing at their peak level as opposed to where said person/team will finish in the rankings.

For example, due to games missed, taking time off on defense due to carrying an offensive load, etc. I agree that the Clippers will not be the best defensive team in the league. That said, in a playoff series-- with everything on the line-- could that personnel playing at max effort defensively potentially be the strongest unit in the league or close to it? I would say so.

Think of LeBron's defense during the regular season his last stint in Cleveland, and then compare it to the defense he played in the playoffs...

..two polar opposite players.

This is exactly spot on. I think OP has pulled the old dippedy doo switch a Roo Troll on us here. OP can’t be serious that they think it’s so far out of question that these examples were the results.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

With the examples I gave? No, I don't think there's any logic to back those 3 choices, particularly given that they were runaways. Kawhi would maybe be the closest to having his case as best defender, but simply put he has zero case as best defender. Again, he was not the best defender on his own team even. In the playoffs or otherwise.

Do you have any substance to your post? No, you sure don't.
21 TD
Junior
And1: 131

Post#31 » by 21 TD » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Every year these guys prove how many of them are either not as knowledgeable as most presume and/or prisoners of the moment.

I don't buy that they don't take it seriously or are trying to be deceiving, because what motivation would they have for the former? And the latter suggests they think their counterparts are so stupid that a poll is going to increase their leverage in some form or fashion.
freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#32 » by freethedevil » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:10 pm

MartyConlonJr wrote:Clippers as a top defensive team isn't exactly a crazy take.
Kawhi is a 2 time DPOY and 2nd team last year while missing a tonne of games. Paul George was 1st team. Patrick Beverly is a dog.

Neither kawhi or paul george protect the rim significantly. Kahwi isn't even a good team defender at this point. And bev is merely good at defence. How does anyone figure the clippers will compare defensively to the jazz, the bucks, philly, or the raptors?
robbie84
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,377

Post#33 » by robbie84 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:21 am

Marcus Smart is the best perimeter defender in the NBA.
There's no one really challenging him for this title IMO. I guess Kawahi and George will guard opposing SF's which they place more value on.
One day Marcus Smart will be defensive player of the year, mark my words.

Return to The General Board