Zion Injury news

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,071

Re: Zion Injury news 

Post#141 » by Ben-N1ce » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Sucks. It would be hard for me to not to eat bad in New Orleans too. I probably could for millions of dollars though.
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,340

Post#142 » by BodieB » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 pm

Ugh.
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,158

Post#143 » by Sgt Major » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:05 pm

They're not cursed, the guy is overweight. If lifting a curse means that you have to lose a few pounds, then that's the weakest curse ever.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Post#144 » by LipSkinMatter » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:06 pm

Sgt Major wrote:They're not cursed, the guy is overweight. If lifting a curse means that you have to lose a few pounds, then that's that the weakest curse ever.

"A few pounds" :lol:
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#145 » by PhilBlackson » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:08 pm

lonzo_pelota wrote:how does zion get injured this soon in his nba career when he played with reckless abandon going full throttle @ DUKE, Pelicans might be jinxed

Ughhh he did ALREADY have a minor injury AT Duke when he blew out his shoe and sat out multiple games.

It's not the Pelicans being "cursed". It's Zion's massive body being built for football but trying to compete in basketball. While I certainly hope and pray he has a long career, I really don't see his body handling that weight going up that high and slamming back down on his joints.

Quite frankly I'd be shocked if he's able to remain athletic as long as probably his closest comparible Larry Johnson who also destroyed his knees but even he wasn't as big as Zion is.

With Zion's football genetics he's gonna need an incredibly strict diet to lean him out and have a decent length of career or I really don't see this getting better especially when you consider he hasn't even grown into his "man bod" which typically happens in another 4-5 years from now.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Drygon
Veteran
And1: 4,723

Post#146 » by Drygon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:08 pm

Read on Twitter
thebigbird
Head Coach
And1: 19,954

Post#147 » by thebigbird » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 pm

The vagueness of "period of weeks" makes it seem like it actually is something severe.
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,625

Post#148 » by Swish1906 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Potentially the perfect wakeup call for him to trim down.

Again, he isnt fat etc but he wont have any longevity if He plays the way he plays with almost 290....
Wolf of Ball St
Junior
And1: 519

Post#149 » by Wolf of Ball St » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:12 pm

Ughhhhhh. There goes my interest in game one of opening night. Definitely won’t pay as much attention to a NO-TOR matchup without Kawhi and Zion in the picture. Hoping this move is more on the overcautious, load management spectrum than full out injury. If two weeks of Zion out means more of him later, I’m in. But if this is a pattern, what a bummer.
Dr Spaceman
General Manager
And1: 11,206

Post#150 » by Dr Spaceman » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:13 pm

OzThunder wrote:
getitdone323 wrote:https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/display.aspx?sp=86062789&s=4&p=86062534

TORN MCL per this site. The poster called the injury 3 hours before NOP announced it.

and dont give me **** about the source, i saw how ppl ran with that tweet from some random dude saying AD's injury was similar to Drew Brees

but i really hope its wrong, zion is so fun.

Meniscus and MCL aren't the same thing.

Meniscus is the padding between the bones, MCL is the ligament that controls the knee from bending outward. Meniscus is less serious, but obviously not a great thing. (Pretty sure meniscus issues is what wore Brandon Roy down).

Dwyane Wade, Amar’e Stoudemire, and others I can’t remember off the top of my head also had careers shortened by meniscus tears. To be fair though, this was back when the main treatment was cutting out the torn part of the meniscus to shorten recovery time and then followed by the even more barbaric microfracture surgery when the knee cartilage inevitably wore down.

Russell Westbrook is the first guy I remember who took the longer recover y process and it worked like a charm a s he’s had a very long effective career since.
“I’m not the fastest guy on the court, but I can dictate when the race begins.”
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#151 » by Forte IV » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:16 pm

LastNameEver wrote:Pelicans being on national TV is a disaster now. I was really hoping people were wrong about the injuries even though it seemed inevitable.

They still have a few fun pieces on the team. It wasn't just all Zion, although I can see why someone may think that.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,696

Post#152 » by Benedict_Boozer » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Seems like everyone knew from the jump his weight would be an issue, why wouldn't the NOP staff get on him right away in the offseason to get down to an effective playing weight? Regular season is a grind.
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#153 » by TheGOATWill » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:21 pm

More time to work on that outside shot?
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#154 » by ArtMorte » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:22 pm

Kinda kills the Pels' start-of-season hype. A chance for Ball and Ingram to show what they can do now that Zion is not stealing the limelight, I guess.

Here's hoping "Zion injury news" won't be a hot topic throughout the season.
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,366

Post#155 » by Patches Perry » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:22 pm

Benedict_Boozer wrote:Seems like everyone knew from the jump his weight would be an issue, why wouldn't the NOP staff get on him right away in the offseason to get down to an effective playing weight? Regular season is a grind.

Zion is a huge star. I'm not sure the training staff have the credibility to tell Zion what to do. But you're right, it should have been the priority from day 1. You can't play at his weight and at his torque and bounce at the frequency of NBA games and expect to stay healthy.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,740

Post#156 » by Jadoogar » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:24 pm

Forte IV wrote:
LastNameEver wrote:Pelicans being on national TV is a disaster now. I was really hoping people were wrong about the injuries even though it seemed inevitable.

They still have a few fun pieces on the team. It wasn't just all Zion, although I can see why someone may think that.

TNT must be pissed. They hate showing the Raptors to begin with and now there's no Zion. Pascal Siakam vs Brandon Ingram! Get hyped!
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#157 » by D.Brasco » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:25 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:I honestly find it hilarious the amount of **** being written about Zion’s weight and all these doomsayers predicting catastrophic injuries.

The comparisons to Shaq are always funny. Shaq despite being badly out of shape for a fair bit of his prime managed to be a four time champion, MVP winner, two times final MVP and most importantly he played until he was 37. For all this talk about his weight he lasted a heck of a long time and I’d argue he was one of the rarer mixes of size and athletic ability ever.

Sure Zion could probably lose a bit of weight but far out the hyperbole in here is ridiculous. Been hearing the same garbage about Zion since high school. Back then it was about him being so athletic he’d ruin his joints.

Far out why is everyone so negative about this dude?

Would anyone back in 2003 have predicted someone as ridiculously large, fast and athletic as LeBron playing as many minutes as he has virtually never having a major injury well into his 30s? No.

The comparisons to Shaq and LeBron are a bit off. Shaq was 7'1" and didn't have to rely on his hops as much Zion has. LeBron at the same age as Zion weighed about 40 lbs less on a slightly longer frame.

Zion is an anomaly as we haven't seen a player of his proportions especially at his young age. So given all that and his past injuries people have a right to be tentative about his long term health.
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#158 » by TheGOATWill » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Jrue has extra permission to dominate. Trying to keep this glass half full.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,610

Post#159 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:27 pm

I don't know if this injury had anything to do with his weight or not, he couldn't tweaked it doing some random thing.

With that said, there is zero excuse for Zion to come into the league out of shape like he did. You kind of expect the #1overall pick to come into the league in the best shape of his life up to that point, not the worst shape.

Again no clue if this injury was some random thing or if it had to deal with his weight. Either way, should be a wakeup call for him to lose that excess weight and get into the best shape possible.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#160 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:31 pm

Lmao @ yellow tooth
lonzo_pelota wrote:hope its not serious, all eyes were gonna be on Zion for the opener

if he is injured expect tmz to put a camera infront of lavar and hear him say ," my son can carry this team, he's better than zion, heck, my other son is available you know the one that stole the sunglasses and left ucla, yeah he can come in and pick up the slack, heck he's better than zion and i put that on my front yellow tooth"

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board