I think LeBron will keep this level of play for 3~4 more years

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,021

Re: I think LeBron will keep this level of play for 3~4 more years 

Post#81 » by JN61 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:36 am

freethedevil wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:By this level of play... do you mean 36 wins and miss the playoffs. because that’s achievable.

Lakers were playing at a 50 win pace when healthy and really, by the time he got injured it was close to a 60 win pace. You can ding lebron for his injury but drawing conclusions beyond, they got injured shows you have no idea what you're talking about.

At same time clippers were leading the West.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,021

Post#82 » by JN61 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:39 am

Ambrose wrote:
Statlanta wrote:
donnieme wrote:I see you watch all your nba on twitter

As spicy as my take was it isn't as bad as calling him the de facto best passer in the league when guys like CP3 and Westbrook exist.

Thinking Westbrook is on the same planet as LeBron at passing is a horrible take.

Well there is always a lot of talk how LeBron needs shooter team around him to utilize his passing skills but never such talk for Westbrook, who has made career on teams with constantly one of worst shooter supporting cast around.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#83 » by The_Hater » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:11 pm

igorbianch wrote:I see lots of people expecting LeBron to fall off a cliff in a year or 2 but I disagree.

1) He already declined physically. A lot.

2) AD will prolong his career. Not only AD will take pressure of him(he is a 28ppg scorer), he is a perfect complementary piece to him. They will just PNR until the next day and LBJ will score or assist way more easy.

3) Karl Malone put 22/8 until age 38, and i think they’re similar in terms of body type and longevity.

While he was still a good player, Malone wasn’t close to his peak self at age 38 so that argument works against you. Same with every other 38 year old who has ever played an NBA game.

LBJ is going to get worse every season, the question is how much and can he avoid injuries. I suspect that he’ll still be a very good player at ages 37-38 just not one of the top 10-12 players in the league anymore. Assuming he’s still playing of course.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,837

Post#84 » by nikster » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:11 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:Usually to get to the Finals you have to face a couple good teams.

Lebron was lucky in 2018, the East was so weak. Once he faced a good team, we all saw what happened.

Got swept again like usual. Chickened out of taking the last shot in Game 1 and Game 3. Couldn’t even score on Curry.

Chickened out of guarding KD. Winning the Mickey Mouse conference does not make you the best player.

lebron really **** the bed with that 34/8/10 performance
nikster
RealGM

Post#85 » by nikster » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:14 pm

JN61 wrote:
Ambrose wrote:
Statlanta wrote:
As spicy as my take was it isn't as bad as calling him the de facto best passer in the league when guys like CP3 and Westbrook exist.

Thinking Westbrook is on the same planet as LeBron at passing is a horrible take.

Well there is always a lot of talk how LeBron needs shooter team around him to utilize his passing skills but never such talk for Westbrook, who has made career on teams with constantly one of worst shooter supporting cast around.

Lebron doesnt need shooters. In Early Miami days they were starting Wade, Bosh before he was a great 3 point shooter, and a complete non shooter like Haslem/Anthony/Birdman.

Building a team of shooters around him is effective, doesnt mean its the only way for Lebron to play. Also Westbrook has made a career getting bounced in the 1st round with said supporting cast so not exactly a great argument, those rosters lack of shooting was a huge flaw
nikster
RealGM

Post#86 » by nikster » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:22 pm

JN61 wrote:What is the level of expectations though? He put "empty numbers" last year similarly to Booker or Lavigne. One always wants production to reflect on wins. So we hope he does better this year.

Similar stats? Lebrons scoring on a larger volume, more effectively, taking on a larger playmaking role and stats paint him as a net positive defender and doing it for a team that won 15 more games than either of those 2. How the hell did you draw the booker/lavine comparison?
rickbrunson
Junior
And1: 294

Post#87 » by rickbrunson » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:10 pm

_Game7_ wrote:Yea dude just had probably the best pass I ever seen last night.

Did you just start watching NBA this year?
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#88 » by NPZ » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:21 pm

He's been laying the ball up casually as many times as the defenses have allowed, but if any of you are going on that as indication of slippage, he's doing a rope-a-dope. He's just working himself into shape. Expect a cockback dunk in the early RS.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,415

Post#89 » by _Game7_ » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:48 pm

rickbrunson wrote:
_Game7_ wrote:Yea dude just had probably the best pass I ever seen last night.

Did you just start watching NBA this year?

Na
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
Jody Smokz
Starter
And1: 1,388

Post#90 » by Jody Smokz » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:57 pm

Lebron is truly an anomaly. We know this is a declined lebron in comparison to even say the 2nd-3rd year in the 2nd Cavs stint but he's still just as physically effective as any other top 10 player.

Athletically how many players are simply on par or more physically gifted right now? Giannis might be the only one I can think of that is just a monster. AD as well but he's much more finesse than pure freight train like Giannis, Bron and Russ are.

34-36 year old Lebron is still athletically better than say Paul George. Let's just say he loses more athleticism and falls somewhere physically to where Draymond is. Still sounds like a guy that can effect the game at an elite level.
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,488

Post#91 » by Pelly24 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:04 pm

I don’t like making predictions, but I agree.

LeBron is actually bigger than we thought since he’s been measured at 6’8.5” without shoes, so he’s actually closer to 6’10 in shoes. So he’s got legit power forward size with a muscular frame and a solid jump shot to rely on. His athleticism has decreased, but functionally only Zion clearly has him beat at this point. He’s still got a 40 inch vert, is still fast, etc. His amazing body control/coordination and balance with strength and touch will also ensure that he’s a great rinsher even when his bounce goes away. He’s just a different order of being from other GoATs
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,990

Post#92 » by spikeslovechild » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:27 pm

Lebron is already in the midst of a major decline. I am sort of torn between my dislike of the Lakers and my dislike of Lebron after his china comments.

I kind of want Lebron to maintain a certain level so he somehow gets another max contract (he can opt out in 21) from the Lakers but I also want the lakers to be bad so AD leaves and joins the knicks. It's a conundrum.
Air Apparent
Rookie
And1: 1,239

Post#93 » by Air Apparent » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:04 pm

i mean vince is out here still balling so why not lebron, bron hasnt had any real injuries either
basketball is a team sport
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#94 » by mudsak » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:53 pm

health... all it takes is one injury and that's it. He's put a lot of miles on his body. He's probably played more minutes than any other active player in the NBA right now... while also having one of the highest usage rates. I'd be stoked to see him continue to produce at a high level and remain healthy. Just not sure how realistic that is. No one wins a race against father time.
homecourtloss
RealGM
And1: 17,687

Post#95 » by homecourtloss » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:01 am

Pelly24 wrote:I don’t like making predictions, but I agree.

LeBron is actually bigger than we thought since he’s been measured at 6’8.5” without shoes, so he’s actually closer to 6’10 in shoes. So he’s got legit power forward size with a muscular frame and a solid jump shot to rely on. His athleticism has decreased, but functionally only Zion clearly has him beat at this point. He’s still got a 40 inch vert, is still fast, etc. His amazing body control/coordination and balance with strength and touch will also ensure that he’s a great rinsher even when his bounce goes away. He’s just a different order of being from other GoATs

I was surprised by that 6’8.5” without shoes measurement, but then again, he does look taller than when he first came into the league, which I suppose is to be expected since he was just 18 when drafted and really tall men are the ones who usually grow last 18 years of age.

nikster wrote:
JN61 wrote:
Ambrose wrote:

Lebron doesnt need shooters. In Early Miami days they were starting Wade, Bosh before he was a great 3 point shooter, and a complete non shooter like Haslem/Anthony/Birdman.

Building a team of shooters around him is effective, doesnt mean its the only way for Lebron to play.

Even in 2015, LeBron/Kyrie/Tristan had a higher ORtg than the LeBron/Kyrie/Love trio in part because of how LeBron used TT in pick and roll (also TT’s Orebing, and his defense that led to transition offense).

Even LeBron/Mozgov/TT had a 110 Orating, equivalent to a top 5ish ORating in 2015, and that lineup provides ZERO spacing.

—LeBron/TT/Marion/Love had a 123 ORating, LeBron/TT/Marion/Shumpert/Delly at 112, LeBron/TT/Shumpert/Mozgov/Delly at 108. Shump and Delly were not known for being knock down shooting going into that season though they weren’t bad. They certainly weren’t considered Korver, Ray Allen, Mike Miller, JR Smith type snipers.

You basically have people spouting the usual tired narratives that aren’t supported by data.
lessthanjake wrote:Kyrie was extremely impactful without LeBron, and basically had zero impact whatsoever if LeBron was on the court.

lessthanjake wrote: By playing in a way that prevents Kyrie from getting much impact, LeBron ensures that controlling for Kyrie has limited effect…
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#96 » by old skool » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:22 pm

This is a thread about opinions. We don't know, and cannot prove who is "right". Last season someone might have predicted that Lebron would only play 55 games and the Lakers would miss the playoffs, but that does not mean that person was more knowledgeable than everyone else.

I think Lebron will continue to decline physically every season. That decline might be masked by his bbiq. The bigger issue is his advancing susceptibility to injury and the added recovery time needed by older players. Missing a lot of games could really be disruptive and is more likely to be an issue as he gets older. In any event, I don't expect that Lebron will continue to perform at his most recent level for 3 or 4 more seasons. I think that is unrealistic.

My opinion.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,542

Post#97 » by Jcity08 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Lebron is already pretty elite with his soft skills, like passing, hitting jumpers/shot creation, BBIQ....ect... that he'll be able to extend his career if chooses too, even when his physicality declines.

But he's definitely going to be a different player then.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#98 » by GWVan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:38 pm

Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
Laker1
Assistant Coach
And1: 154

Post#99 » by Laker1 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:47 pm

Oh boy, so much hate here lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pelly24
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,488

Post#100 » by Pelly24 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:05 pm

Jcity08 wrote:Lebron is already pretty elite with his soft skills, like passing, hitting jumpers/shot creation, BBIQ....ect... that he'll be able to extend his career if chooses too, even when his physicality declines.

But he's definitely going to be a different player then.

That's what I'm saying. He has a solid "old man's" game to him. For me, even with a serious physical decline, how many people are outright more athletic than LeBron today? When he noticeably loses another notch I don't seem him falling below the "very good athlete" threshold. I sorta see him staying at '96 MJ level in terms of athletic ability.

Return to The General Board