Would you rather have Luka or Zion?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Luka or Zion

Poll ended at Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:46 am

Luka
75%
Zion
25%

Total votes: 256

NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Re: Would you rather have Luka or Zion? 

Post#21 » by NatiboyB » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:15 pm

since I am starting the team from scratch I would take Zion...But if I had other players already that would factor into my selection between the two.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#22 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:15 pm

Luka will have a much longer career. Isn't it obvious?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#23 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Factorq wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Zion is literally so athletic that people are using it as a negative This is totally new.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Agreed. There is nothing concerning about a 285 lbs. man landing after nearly jumping four feet in the air. There is no chance he'll have knee issues if he stays at his current weight.

There is nothing to suggest 250, or 260, or 270 pound men should be doing it either, but lo and behold, we watched someone do it for a decade.

What's the cutoff weight/vertical ratio for injury prone label for guys with no real injury history? 270 plus 40+ inches?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#24 » by Bum Adebayo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Zion's likely outcome if he is healthy is a top 15 player of all time, Luka's likely outcome is maybe a top 100 player of all time. So it is Zion for me.
Great takes since 2024-04-20
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,620

Post#25 » by nomansland » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Health aside, Doncic is already more of a known factor. Ask this question at the end of the year.
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#26 » by Pg81 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 pm

I prefer Doncic for now, because he already has proven himself but I might change my mind after this season, though I doubt it.

Bum Adebayo wrote:Zion's likely outcome if he is healthy is a top 15 player of all time, Luka's likely outcome is maybe a top 100 player of all time. So it is Zion for me.

If Luka stays on his current trajectory it is not impossible for him to reach Larry Bird levels of greatness.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
JohnPferdelack
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,516

Post#27 » by JohnPferdelack » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:20 pm

No doubt, Luka wins this battle.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#28 » by RCM88x » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:30 pm

I'd much rather watch Zion play. I'd rather play again Luka too. But I'd rather have Luka on my team, the durability concerns with Zion are too significant. Luka feels like the kind of guy who'll be a top 5 player in the league for the next decade.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
Yuri36
Sixth Man
And1: 1,441

Post#29 » by Yuri36 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:00 pm

I love Luka but if healthy (that seems a big if though), Zion no doubt just because of the position he plays.
The same way I would take Shaq over Jordan or Kobe if I had to build a team.
SwatLakeCity527
Rookie
And1: 1,328

Post#30 » by SwatLakeCity527 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Zion if healthy, for sure.

I question the timing of this thread, though. Seems like it is trying to take advantage of the fact that Zion is currently hurt, just to win some imaginary Luka points.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,240

Post#31 » by Funcrusher » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:13 pm

CodeBreaker wrote:Luka over mini-Blake Griffin

that makes exactly zero sense. do better
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,049

Post#32 » by GeorgeMarcus » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:51 am

If healthy Zion but I’m not qualified to gage injury proneness. It’s possible the risks tilt the scale in Luka’s favor.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,260

Post#33 » by sfernald » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:23 am

Good timing on this poll ;)
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#34 » by leolozon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:17 am

Bum Adebayo wrote:Zion's likely outcome if he is healthy is a top 15 player of all time, Luka's likely outcome is maybe a top 100 player of all time. So it is Zion for me.

Is likely outcome is only top 100 when he was 21/8/6 as a rookie? Top 100 is Carmelo or Tim Hardaway. You are selling him way short. He’s on a higher trajectory than that as of right now.

Your « if he’s healthy » is something you should actually factor in, not just say.

Yeah, if healthy it’s Zion. But that knee injury is concerning and makes this really close.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 10,725

Post#35 » by KembaWalker » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:30 am

Whichever one can recruit the other to form a super team
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#36 » by reflex35 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:46 am

Luka might be a bit overrated here and might be a golden boy, but the problem with Zion is his weight.
As many already mentioned here Zion needs to drop weight - he carries the risk of being injury prone and his game is based on his athletic ability.

Listen to what retired NBA players are saying. If you start you career with knee injuries early it usually follows you around.

Zion has a higher ceiling but in terms of risk management I would go with Luka. He might not be a guy which dunks on everyone but you but there is a chance for you to have a 25 7 7 guy by looking at his current game... Those are extremely rare. He can be a great scorer, rebounder and passer.
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,355

Post#37 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:55 am

Luka can shoot 3s off the dribble while having the natural passing vision to run an offense, which imo is the most valuable combination of offensive skills in the game right now.
Once he masters NBA PnR, he should be an elite offensive player that you can build an offense around for years to come.
For that reason I'd take Luka, even if durability weren't a factor. Zion is clearly the better athlete though, and might eventually be the better all around basketball player, too. But in today's NBA I think Luka has the more valuable skill set that is easier to build around.
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
CIN-C-STAR
Head Coach
And1: 16,355

Post#38 » by CIN-C-STAR » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:58 am

leolozon wrote:

Is likely outcome is only top 100 when he was 21/8/6 as a rookie? Top 100 is Carmelo or Tim Hardaway. You are selling him way short. He’s on a higher trajectory than that as of right now.

Your « if he’s healthy » is something you should actually factor in, not just say.

Yeah, if healthy it’s Zion. But that knee injury is concerning and makes this really close.

Tbh saying Zion's "likely outcome" is a top 15 player OF ALL TIME, even if he stays healthy, is a completely absurd statement on its face, and as his leading argument, it renders the rest of what he says not worth commenting on.
:crazy:
"I'd rather have Kevin Love spacing out to the three point line than anything (Karl) Malone brings"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,928

Post#39 » by Reeko » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:07 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:
Factorq wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Zion is literally so athletic that people are using it as a negative This is totally new.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Agreed. There is nothing concerning about a 285 lbs. man landing after nearly jumping four feet in the air. There is no chance he'll have knee issues if he stays at his current weight.

There is nothing to suggest 250, or 260, or 270 pound men should be doing it either, but lo and behold, we watched someone do it for a decade.

What's the cutoff weight/vertical ratio for injury prone label for guys with no real injury history? 270 plus 40+ inches?

The real issue with Zion isn't his weight+athleticism, although it is a factor. The real issue is his abnormal gait. It is known that LeBron has excellent form when he runs, thus he has been able to stave off knee injuries, as opposed to Wade who had very poor running form and suffered knee injuries about halfway through his career. Watch videos of Zion walking or jogging up the court he has very poor form, he looks like a fat kid struggling to keep up. I do not believe he will last in the NBA unless measures are taken to correct his gait and modify his style of play.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#40 » by reflex35 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:13 am

CIN-C-STAR wrote:
leolozon wrote:

Tbh saying Zion's "likely outcome" is a top 15 player OF ALL TIME, even if he stays healthy, is a completely absurd statement on its face, and as his leading argument, it renders the rest of what he says not worth commenting on.
:crazy:

Yeah... The idea of "likely outcome" of the player who has not even played 1 official game to already be seen as TOP-15 player is absurd.
Doesn't matter what your top 10- top 15 is but for the most people it's putting Zion in Kobe's, Hakeem's, Bird's territory. :lol:
Which is laughable as these are the guys who are top 10 - top 15 in my mind and probably many others. (I understand that some might feel they are higher or lower and it's just an example)

Return to The General Board