Kings showing buyers' remorse over Harrison Barnes' new contract

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Re: Kings showing remorse over Harrison Barnes' new contract 

Post#41 » by sacking123 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:48 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:
That is true and you're right, Barnes contract or not he would've most likely waited till free agency. Bad point by me.

With that said though, don't think the Kings can afford Barnes contract, a new Hield contract, and match a Bogdan contract, with having to plan for Fox's contract as well.

Why can’t they sign them?
As you well know too, the contracts signed this summer are part of the plan IMO.
They can sign all of these guys and take a couple of seasons to choose which ones fit correctly. It isn’t a situation where they have to choose right now, or even next summer. Let this group play for 2 full seasons and then start trading the ones that aren’t fitting correctly. Would you agree that is a logical step to take?

Now if they do sign them and this China situation goes south then they will be in trouble.

I will say with Barnes front loaded contract, that definitely helps. 18 mil his final year wont be the hardest thing to unload, since that final year of his contract will be the first year of Bagley's new deal. If all 5 are on the team, you would be looking at those 5 by themselves taking up the entire cap space for the team which would be far from ideal.

This brings me back to my original point from when the Kings originally gave Barnes this contract. It kills all potential cap flexibility for this team. I love all the other deals they made, loved the non guarantees and short term deals, I thought those were very smart. The Barnes deal kills the cap flexibility though. I thought it was a long term deal that was a major overpay, that hurt the potential of you guys having amazing cap flexibility moving forward.

The only time the Kings were going to have flexibility was this summer and next. No one was signing with the Kings this summer. Next summer they may have established themselves as a team on the rise, however what FAs from a poor class is going to sign?
In some ways I believe they already knew they wanted to see what this group had in them and wanted at least 2-3 years together and while this isn't the exact best way to do that, it was one of.
So, the flexibility isn't really needed in Sacramento, they need the contracts and yes HB is overs, no one is going to deny that.
I don't think Barnes' contract is going to be hard to move
However getting to your point, which is a good one of the 5 players being on the roster and taking up the entire cap. I agree completely. I just don't see all 5 of them being on the roster at that time. I do think Vlade has to get creative with some salaries because I still think the core is Fox/Buddy/Bogs/Bagley/Giles.

What I forgot to put in the previous post was I believe the hardest thing isn't going to sign them all, look at it in reverse, it's going to be finding the cheap talent to fill out the roster.
I have said before that Vlade has done a good job of getting a lot of chances coming up in the 2nd round to do this, however it's simply not lining up with when the contracts kick in, which would be for say 21/22 season and onward.
That's not to say they aren't planning for it, but I would like to see trades coming up in the next year to continue stockpiling picks into the future.
Everyone just seems like it's panic stations if these guys don't sign now, but hey they are restricted FAs and after the season Buddy is about to have he will have great value (hence why the Kings should just pay him). It's not like Buddy is going anywhere and his value is only going to go up.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Re: Kings showing buyers' remorse over Harrison Barnes' new contract 

Post#42 » by codydaze » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:55 pm

Read on Twitter
stoo
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,152

Post#43 » by stoo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:14 pm

sackings916 wrote:
stoo wrote:Buddy is not a building block for the kings. He is just a shooter. You can really find another guy who really excels in just one category, like shooting with buddy

What? How many guys shoot 8 threes a game at a 42-43% clip? On top of the fact Buddy creates a good amount of them just not catch and shoot.

Fortunately, bogdan can be that guy for kings.. If situation is what it appears to be, i won't be surprised if kings try to play longer stratches with bogdan taking buddy's role, which includes shooting more threes.. And it seems bogdan is in hell of a form shootingwise.. So they pay bogdan 4/70, 15 mils more then current offer, and bogdan stays, they trade buddy, get some solid player they can pay 60 mils 4 years, and they still save 15 milions for cap space, from current offers to both players which don't get satisfied any of them
NotSinceWilt
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,888

Post#44 » by Sofia » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:21 pm

Know what’s worse than regretting your mistakes?

Not regretting them and pretending you did good.
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#45 » by Effigy » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:27 pm

Alonzo_Morning wrote:Just when you thought the Kings weren't gonna King anymore, they go full Kangz

Except that nobody thought that.
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#46 » by sacking123 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:33 pm

stoo wrote:
sackings916 wrote:
stoo wrote:Buddy is not a building block for the kings. He is just a shooter. You can really find another guy who really excels in just one category, like shooting with buddy

What? How many guys shoot 8 threes a game at a 42-43% clip? On top of the fact Buddy creates a good amount of them just not catch and shoot.

Fortunately, bogdan can be that guy for kings.. If situation is what it appears to be, i won't be surprised if kings try to play longer stratches with bogdan taking buddy's role, which includes shooting more threes.. And it seems bogdan is in hell of a form shootingwise.. So they pay bogdan 4/70, 15 mils more then current offer, and bogdan stays, they trade buddy, get some solid player they can pay 60 mils 4 years, and they still save 15 milions for cap space, from current offers to both players which don't get satisfied any of them

Just for the record there is no offer for Bogdan. The Maximum the Kings can offer him is what has been reported. So obviously the Kings would love to offer him that and they most certainly would have had a chuckle with his agent about signing the max extension, however that is never going to happen.
Secondly can you let me know what solid player is signing with the Kings for 4/60? And in the next FA class.
I’m not sure how much the Kings could even have in cap space next summer as I’m not entirely sure what Bogs cap hold will be.
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
Hroz
Pro Prospect
And1: 468

Post#47 » by Hroz » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:10 pm

Just blame it on Morey.

Tell Hield, those signed after Morey tweet will get 15-20% less

So it's like we are offering you $120 mill when we offer $100 mill.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#48 » by BoogieTime » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:24 pm

What is NBA Central, and why did they try to make this a story? Is it a gossip outlet?
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,839

Post#49 » by Karate Diop » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:19 pm

Sofia wrote:Know what’s worse than regretting your mistakes?

Not regretting them and pretending you did good.

Yeah but making an obvious mistake that even a 3rd grader could have pointed out is even worse... Vlade gonna Vlade.
MrGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,280

Post#50 » by MrGoat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:23 am

Kangz gonna Kang. They might want to be more careful in evaluating Dallas players

After the Rajon Rondo disaster the Kings snapped him up and then tried to sign Monta Ellis. Maybe they saw how well Rondo and Monta played together and thought "hmm let's get us some of that". Monta quickly signed with Indiana after seeing the Kings come calling

Pretty much every Mavs fans jaw dropped when they saw the contract Sacramento offered Barnes
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#51 » by BoogieTime » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:21 am

MrGoat wrote:Kangz gonna Kang. They might want to be more careful in evaluating Dallas players

After the Rajon Rondo disaster the Kings snapped him up and then tried to sign Monta Ellis. Maybe they saw how well Rondo and Monta played together and thought "hmm let's get us some of that". Monta quickly signed with Indiana after seeing the Kings come calling

Pretty much every Mavs fans jaw dropped when they saw the contract Sacramento offered Barnes

did you not make it past the first post?

It’s not a legit story

The Monta stuff wasn’t either, it was his agent
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#52 » by Pinkyring » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:51 am

BoogieTime wrote:
MrGoat wrote:Kangz gonna Kang. They might want to be more careful in evaluating Dallas players

It’s not a legit story

You assume its not legit, nothing has been put out to dispute it other than saying a source close to the kings say it not true, wtf is a source close to them, unless its somebody within the organization you cant take it seriously and hell it could've been vivek, he wouldn't admit it either
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#53 » by Pinkyring » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:57 am

simonbampfield wrote:
stoo wrote:
sackings916 wrote:

Just for the record there is no offer for Bogdan. The Maximum the Kings can offer him is what has been reported. So obviously the Kings would love to offer him that and they most certainly would have had a chuckle with his agent about signing the max extension, however that is never going to happen.
Secondly can you let me know what solid player is signing with the Kings for 4/60? And in the next FA class.
I’m not sure how much the Kings could even have in cap space next summer as I’m not entirely sure what Bogs cap hold will be.

Joe harris? Id pay him 3/45 over 4 for 100 for buddy any day
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#54 » by BoogieTime » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:58 am

Pinkyring wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

It’s not a legit story

You assume its not legit, nothing has been put out to dispute it other than saying a source close to the kings say it not true, wtf is a source close to them, unless its somebody within the organization you cant take it seriously and hell it could've been vivek, he wouldn't admit it either

Kings beat writer James Ham reported it as well.

Nothing has been put out to substantiate it. Other than some guy saying “sources” said, but Kings refute it (Shams)
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#55 » by reflex35 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:31 am

Barnes contract was a mistake. Now either Bogdan or Buddy will walk away.
There is a great chance that both of them will be gone!!! And both of them are better than Barnes.

Huge mistake.
D13
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#56 » by D13 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:32 am

Question for those in the know: Didn't Barnes already have a 25mil player option this year from the final year of his Dallas deal that he relinquished when signing the new Kings deal? So he had 25mil coming his way this year one way or the other. Basically he got an additional 3 x 63mil deal?
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#57 » by BoogieTime » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:36 am

D13 wrote:Question for those in the know: Didn't Barnes already have a 25mil player option this year from the final year of his Dallas deal that he relinquished when signing the new Kings deal? So he had 25mil coming his way this year one way or the other. Basically he got an additional 3 x 63mil deal?

It was a 85 mil deal, but yes he did
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#58 » by FNQ » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:50 am

Buzzard wrote:
PlatinumState wrote:I said it was stupid to give Barnes that contract. Not like its that hard to find players that give you 14 & 5

You can low ball him because of last season when he switched teams. He has also had two seasons of 19.2 and 5 along with 18.9 and 6.1. My point, if you need him to score more, he can.

Just not efficiently and/or on a winning team.

Hard to buy this story because he hasnt played a single game since signing the extension, but does give fans another chance to look at his contract and wonder how the hell it keeps happening. 1 season out of 7 with a positive BPM. 1 season out of 7 with a positive RPM. Can't create good looks for himself or others with consistency, is better at defending SFs but his efficiency goes down when guarded by SFs. Better at scoring against PFs, but is a below average defender at PF (overall - I think his man D is fine, but defensive rebounding and help defense are not).

Its a brutal contract already, and if it costs them Hield, way more so.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#59 » by Buzzard » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:09 am

FNQ wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
PlatinumState wrote:I said it was stupid to give Barnes that contract. Not like its that hard to find players that give you 14 & 5

You can low ball him because of last season when he switched teams. He has also had two seasons of 19.2 and 5 along with 18.9 and 6.1. My point, if you need him to score more, he can.

Just not efficiently and/or on a winning team.

Hard to buy this story because he hasnt played a single game since signing the extension, but does give fans another chance to look at his contract and wonder how the hell it keeps happening. 1 season out of 7 with a positive BPM. 1 season out of 7 with a positive RPM. Can't create good looks for himself or others with consistency, is better at defending SFs but his efficiency goes down when guarded by SFs. Better at scoring against PFs, but is a below average defender at PF (overall - I think his man D is fine, but defensive rebounding and help defense are not).

Its a brutal contract already, and if it costs them Hield, way more so.

Barnes has had a decent TS% of .550 or better 3 times in his career; and his TS% in the 28 games with the Kings was .578. His career 3PT% is .374 and last season it was .395. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Barnes is the best thing since sliced bread.

Maybe Vlade could have gotten Barnes signed for a little less; but in today's NBA economy this is not a poison pill contract. The Kings do not have to lose Hield, all they have to do is pay him. They have his rights and can do so if they choose.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#60 » by drosereturn » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:19 am

reflex35 wrote:Barnes contract was a mistake. Now either Bogdan or Buddy will walk away.
There is a great chance that both of them will be gone!!! And both of them are better than Barnes.

Huge mistake.

Not only Bogdan, Hield walks, disgruntled stars like Fox and even Bagley will all leave the team due to the Barnes fiasco.
You lose a key piece and it is enough to dismantle the entire team. Unless they can dump him to the Knicks, Kings are done.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!

Return to The General Board