Most underrated team in the league

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Joerezz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,504

Re: Most underrated team in the league 

Post#21 » by Joerezz7 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:08 pm

Nets and Raptors
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

There is nothing inherently different about winning in the Finals compared to winning other playoff seriess,
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,450

Post#22 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:09 pm

I say Miami.

I wasn’t a believer, but saw them play my Magic (I know I know it’s just preseason) and they might actually have the tools to be a top 4 team.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
rtiff68
Veteran
And1: 3,709

Post#23 » by rtiff68 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
rate_ wrote:Which team is the most underrated going into the 2020 season?

It is, without question, the LA Lakers.

The idea that a lot of people think a team with an overrated player like Kawhi Leonard and a scrub like Paul George can beat a team with LeBron James and Anthony Davis, goes to show you how unbelievably underrated the Lakers are.

LeBron and AD are a historically silly pairing. Unheard of. So I think people will look back on this season and be like, "yeah I guess we shouldve known".

I’m going to go out on a limb here and guess that you’re a Lakers fan.

They’re being picked almost everywhere as a top 4 seed in a stacked conference. LeBron is entering year 17, Davis is injury prone and won’t commit long term term despite demanding a trade to LA, and the rest of the roster is old or unproven.

They’re not underrated. They have a shot this year if several things break right, but they’re certainly not underrated.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,789

Post#24 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Toronto gets no respect.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Young gun 6
Analyst
And1: 6,008

Post#25 » by Young gun 6 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:54 pm

I actually think Portland are overrated.
All the odds have them as a 3/1 chance to miss playoffs.

I reckon they are a huge chance to miss playoffs
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#26 » by Buzzard » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:04 pm

Last year, the Hawks were picked to finish last. Every mock draft you looked at before the 2018/19 season started had the Hawks getting Zion or Barrett. They beat that projection by 12 games over the last place Knicks. Now they are picked to improve two games over last season. I think it is hilarious to be honest. Hunter looks like the most all around NBA ready wing in the draft. Yes I said it Barrett and Rui fans.

Its really strange that some people do not think young talent will improve. I think its the complete opposite, young talent should be expected to improve. Maybe the Hawks do not make the playoffs, but they will make those people with their 31 game win projections look foolish. Just like they did last season.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
21 TD
Junior
And1: 131

Post#27 » by 21 TD » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:19 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Toronto gets no respect.

:lol: This played out narrative/myth needs to stop.

Other than some hardcore fans pointing out their contrived/asterisk title, they get nothing but respect. Since the shady Ujiri took over, in an effort to boost their profile and pacify the market's inferiority complex, they cozied up to a bunch of big wigs in the U.S. media, who have done nothing but slurp them in recent years.

Even before they were handed Scumbag (thanks to him intentionally destroying his value), they got more coverage/adulation than teams that have had similar runs in the past decade (Hawks, Grizzlies, Pacers, Trail Blazers).
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,513

Post#28 » by THE J0KER » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Durantless Nets can surprise us. Irving is a star, and I guess will learn from his previous Boston Celtics bad experience where he (in)directly ruined the team's chemistry.

My prediction is that two out of these five young players will improve notably: Allen, LeVert, Prince, Musa, and Kurucs, and don't forget that D-Jordan is not so hopeless at free throw line anymore.

Kings missed the opportunity to sign some big FA name this summer despite their salary cap advantage, but if Hield stays 2018-19 good, and Fox and Bagley (plus Bogdanovic and Giles) improve as projected, Kings can be 2nd season in the row most underrated team in the West.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#29 » by JN61 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:38 am

Pennebaker wrote:
rate_ wrote:Which team is the most underrated going into the 2020 season?

It is, without question, the LA Lakers.

The idea that a lot of people think a team with an overrated player like Kawhi Leonard and a scrub like Paul George can beat a team with LeBron James and Anthony Davis, goes to show you how unbelievably underrated the Lakers are.

LeBron and AD are a historically silly pairing. Unheard of. So I think people will look back on this season and be like, "yeah I guess we shouldve known".

Pau George was 3rd on MVP voting last year and Leonard won FMVP. LeBron and Davis missed the playoffs, weren't even close making it in fact.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,509

Post#30 » by LofJ » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:44 am

I have to go with Toronto here. It isn't an accident when you're as consistently successful as they have been. When they finally got a top 10 player last year they won it all. Deslite losing Kawhi they'll probably win 50 games again and have HCA in the 1st round. Like the Spurs, Blazers, and Pacers I've learned to stop doubting them. They're one of the better organizations in the NBA.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#31 » by Sark » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:50 am

kNiCkS
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#32 » by celtxman » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:01 am

Miami
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#33 » by Crives » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:05 am

Buzzard wrote:Last year, the Hawks were picked to finish last. Every mock draft you looked at before the 2018/19 season started had the Hawks getting Zion or Barrett. They beat that projection by 12 games over the last place Knicks. Now they are picked to improve two games over last season. I think it is hilarious to be honest. Hunter looks like the most all around NBA ready wing in the draft. Yes I said it Barrett and Rui fans.

Its really strange that some people do not think young talent will improve. I think its the complete opposite, young talent should be expected to improve. Maybe the Hawks do not make the playoffs, but they will make those people with their 31 game win projections look foolish. Just like they did last season.

I think they might have gotten a little overrated due to the Trae hype to be honest...

Likely a bottom 3/4 defense, only one offensive initiator (Trae), relies on rookie production in starting lineup, and a few big holes at center/pg...

I think they are two years out... rooting for them though.. reminds me of the Nash suns.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#34 » by Crives » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:10 am

Denver:
Everyone mentions them as the likely one seed.. but underrates their title chances...

Suns:
Completely overhauled and improved the roster/FO/Coaching.. but still being judged for the last 5 years performance, “LOL Suns”
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,773

Post#35 » by BoogieTime » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:12 am

Rockets. Best team in the West, now
Scott Hall
RealGM
And1: 62,605

Post#36 » by Scott Hall » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:13 am

Honestly I haven't paid any attention at all this summer to what the pundits or what other fans are saying. It just
feels like a waste of time and I'd rather just wait to see the real games played out instead of winning peoples respect
and admiration because in the end it means absolutely nothing real life standings are the only thing that matters.

With that said...

I think you could make a case for almost half the league this year this is the most open I've seen the NBA in years. There's
lots of potential sleeper teams and underrated teams. Also I can tell from being on Twitter people are still hyping up the
same 5-7 teams they do every year even if they fail all the time.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,353

Post#37 » by tdotrep2 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:24 am

Right now I like the nets to finish top 6 and the raptors to be 3rd. Not sure a lot of pundits agree so l.... the west teams people are saying they are 9 contenders
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#38 » by Buzzard » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:25 am

Crives wrote:
Buzzard wrote:Last year, the Hawks were picked to finish last. Every mock draft you looked at before the 2018/19 season started had the Hawks getting Zion or Barrett. They beat that projection by 12 games over the last place Knicks. Now they are picked to improve two games over last season. I think it is hilarious to be honest. Hunter looks like the most all around NBA ready wing in the draft. Yes I said it Barrett and Rui fans.

I think they might have gotten a little overrated due to the Trae hype to be honest...

Likely a bottom 3/4 defense, only one offensive initiator (Trae), relies on rookie production in starting lineup, and a few big holes at center/pg...

I think they are two years out... rooting for them though.. reminds me of the Nash suns.

I think there will be another solid improvement this year and I also think Hunter, just like Trae and Huerter last season, is a lot better than people think. We will see how it goes.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,692

Post#39 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:26 am

I think the Suns are gonna be very annoying this year. Especially to those counting on beating them easily.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,383

Post#40 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:29 am

Heat, Raptors and Bulls.

Return to The General Board