Cam Reddish attempts a double spin move in the lane

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,647

Re: Cam Reddish attempts a double spin move in the lane 

Post#61 » by OdomFan » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:10 pm

Funny/Cool looking move but it was a travel, and a terrible decision to make considering there was not 1 but 2 of his teammates wide open in the corner. Guess he was too interested in wanting to get an ESPN highlight which he got, but not how he wanted to. This belongs on ShaqinAFool asap.
marco102
Junior
And1: 717

Post#62 » by marco102 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:18 pm

Stillwater wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Someone on the draft board said that the Hawks system would give Cam the spacing he needs to be the best player in the NBA.
I personally had him ranked 42nd overall in my last big board before the draft. if he had only showed a shadow of what he projected to be early in the recruiting process at Duke than I would understand a higher ranking being justified , but he basically had the worst numbers of any 5 star recruit in college I can remember. ATL loves picking based on hype and ignores glaring holes in prospects games. they did the same thing with others and some have exceeded expectations individually despite not winning anything , but this Reddish kid has been nothing but a bust in the past year of his life/.

Cleveland loves picking on hype too. Young Bull goes three on five and he almost pulls off the win. Darius Garland played what? Three games in college?

Collin was the second worst defensive player last year, behind Trae (barely) and hasn't improved as much as Trae Young this year. Yet you keep coming for the Hawks players. The organization you're rooting for picked two small point guards with worst defense and not as much offensive upside, but we hear crickets from you about Mr. Young Bull and Garland.

Mind you, I think Collin is a good young player, but I'm sick and tired of you crapping on the Hawks picks when you say nothing about what your team is doing.

Also: Darius Garland - Love him as a prospect, but I'm sure he's lighting the league on fire with his 37% shooting from the field and 33% from three. I'm sure you'll give him the benefit of the doubt before calling him a bust. He plays absolutely no defense either.

I can at least say Cam's playing defense. Explain to me why you aren't hating on the Cleveland picks like you are the Hawks picks.
I'm working with my firm to assist small businesses apply for the stimulus assistance. If you're interested please pm.
We are also offering a cashflow bootcamp for small businesses (https://www.aprio.com/whatsnext/covid-19-cash-flow-bootcamp/ ).
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#63 » by Stillwater » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:37 pm

marco102 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:Someone on the draft board said that the Hawks system would give Cam the spacing he needs to be the best player in the NBA.
I personally had him ranked 42nd overall in my last big board before the draft. if he had only showed a shadow of what he projected to be early in the recruiting process at Duke than I would understand a higher ranking being justified , but he basically had the worst numbers of any 5 star recruit in college I can remember. ATL loves picking based on hype and ignores glaring holes in prospects games. they did the same thing with others and some have exceeded expectations individually despite not winning anything , but this Reddish kid has been nothing but a bust in the past year of his life/.

Cleveland loves picking on hype too. Young Bulls goes three on Five and he almost pulls off the win. Darius Garland played what? three games in college?

Collin was the second worst defensive player last year, behind Trae (barely) and hasn't improved as much as Trae Young this year. Yet you keep coming for the Hawks players. The organization you're rooting for picked two small point guards with worst defense and not as much offensive upside, but we hear crickets from you about Mr. Young Bull and Garland.

Mind you, I think Collin is a good young player, but I'm sick and tired of you crapping on the Hawks picks when you say nothing about what your team is doing.

Also: Darius Garland - Love him as a prospect, but I'm sure he's lighting the league on fire with his 37% shooting from the field and 33% from three. I'm sure you'll give him the benefit of the doubt before calling him a bust. He plays absolutely no defense either.

I can at least say Cam's playing defense. Explain to me why you aren't hating on the Cleveland picks like you are the Hawks picks.

just because all you are paying attn too is my hawks comments doesn't equate to me not scrutinizing other orgs draft luck.
The draft is a gamble and it is way to early to say Reddish won't turn it around, but he looks like **** and I have been saying it for over a year.
Garland was a huge gamble with the lack of pt in college and is also a huge bust risk, I would have taken Sekou with ridiculous upside that better matches Sextons long term upside timeline etc.
I suggest you put a lid on your emotional responses and face your deepest fears... that your hawks are overrated.
The Cavs are underrated and Sexton has significantly worked on his defense and his body in the offseason or maybe you don't want to take notice.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,968

Post#64 » by Nuntius » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:41 pm

Duffman100 wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
Duffman100 wrote:It's a travel in every league that isn't the NBA.

I see two steps.

With a pretty significant gather step which I didn't think existed elsewhere but the NBA.

Also true. That's the part of the entry that mentions the gather step in FIBA's World Association of Basketball Coaches manual -> https://wabc.fiba.com/manual/level-1/l1-player/l1-2-offensive-basketball-skills/2-1-basic-movement-skills/2-1-8-pivoting/

It's mentioned at the end of the entry about pivoting and it says the following:

In 2017, the rules were changed in relation to a player catching the ball whilst on the move (either from a pass or to end their dribble). This change has been described as a “zero step” or a “gather step” and applies in limited situation.

That gather step (or zero step as it's called) has absolutely nothing to do with what the NBA calls a gather step. The NBA's concept of a gather step doesn't exist in FIBA. Therefore, under FIBA rules this would indeed be a travel. That's why my initial reaction to it was that it is a travel. After all, I'm a Euro so I was brought up under FIBA rules.

Under NBA rules, though, this is perfectly legal and in accordance to the NBA's definition of a gather step. So, your initial assessment (it's a travel in every league that isn't the NBA) is spot on.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
kg01
General Manager
And1: 12,653

Post#65 » by kg01 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:46 pm

marco102 wrote:Cleveland loves picking on hype too. Young Bulls goes three on Five and he almost pulls off the win. Darius Garland played what? three games in college?

I hope he keeps it up. He's slowly eroding from his own credibility(sic).

He's more obsessed with the Hawks than we are.
king01 :king:
ANTETOKOUNBROS
Starter
And1: 1,619

Post#66 » by ANTETOKOUNBROS » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:48 pm

Can’t believe I took this clown over Hachimura and Herro
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#67 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:51 pm

Nuntius wrote:That gather step (or zero step as it's called) has absolutely nothing to do with what the NBA calls a gather step. The NBA's concept of a gather step doesn't exist in FIBA. Therefore, under FIBA rules this would indeed be a travel. That's why my initial reaction to it was that it is a travel.

The new FIBA rule says "While moving and having one foot on the floor while catching the ball or ending a dribble the next foot or feet to touch the floor is Step 1 and will become the pivot foot."

That's the same concept as the NBA gather step and this move would not be a travel under the new FIBA rules.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by Nuntius » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:11 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
Nuntius wrote:That gather step (or zero step as it's called) has absolutely nothing to do with what the NBA calls a gather step. The NBA's concept of a gather step doesn't exist in FIBA. Therefore, under FIBA rules this would indeed be a travel. That's why my initial reaction to it was that it is a travel.

The new FIBA rule says "While moving and having one foot on the floor while catching the ball or ending a dribble the next foot or feet to touch the floor is Step 1 and will become the pivot foot."

That's the same concept as the NBA gather step and this move would not be a travel under the new FIBA rules.

I don't think that this is how it has been enforced in practice, though. Both in the WC and in the games of my domestic league that I see from time to time, plays like this one would be called travels.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
marco102
Junior
And1: 717

Post#69 » by marco102 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:11 pm

Stillwater wrote:
marco102 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I personally had him ranked 42nd overall in my last big board before the draft. if he had only showed a shadow of what he projected to be early in the recruiting process at Duke than I would understand a higher ranking being justified , but he basically had the worst numbers of any 5 star recruit in college I can remember. ATL loves picking based on hype and ignores glaring holes in prospects games. they did the same thing with others and some have exceeded expectations individually despite not winning anything , but this Reddish kid has been nothing but a bust in the past year of his life/.

Cleveland loves picking on hype too. Young Bulls goes three on Five and he almost pulls off the win. Darius Garland played what? three games in college?

just because all you are paying attn too is my hawks comments doesn't equate to me not scrutinizing other orgs draft luck.
The draft is a gamble and it is way to early to say Reddish won't turn it around, but he looks like **** and I have been saying it for over a year.
Garland was a huge gamble with the lack of pt in college and is also a huge bust risk, I would have taken Sekou with ridiculous upside that better matches Sextons long term upside timeline etc.
I suggest you put a lid on your emotional responses and face your deepest fears... that your hawks are overrated.
The Cavs are underrated and Sexton has significantly worked on his defense and his body in the offseason or maybe you don't want to take notice.

Ohh I got you! So Collin has improved his defense, but Trae hasn't. Collin's defense and points will translate much better than Trae's in the playoffs because he plays for the Cavaliers, but I'm being the emotional poster.

I don't comment on Cleveland because I don't really watch them, but I see you in every Trae Young and Cam Reddish thread.
I'm working with my firm to assist small businesses apply for the stimulus assistance. If you're interested please pm.
We are also offering a cashflow bootcamp for small businesses (https://www.aprio.com/whatsnext/covid-19-cash-flow-bootcamp/ ).
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#70 » by sixerswillrule » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:28 pm

Nuntius wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

I don't think that this is how it has been enforced in practice, though. Both in the WC and in the games of my domestic league that I see from time to time, plays like this one would be called travels.

http://www.basketref.com/en/index.php/?option=com_content&view=article&id=%207

See under "The cases shown on the 3 videos below will be legal after the rule changes"

If that's still a travel then I have no idea what the rule change was then. Seems like that was the entire point of the rule change. To align with the NBA and how if you have a foot on the ground at point of gather, you still have 2 more steps.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,809

Post#71 » by the_process » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:33 pm

Stillwater wrote:
the_process wrote:I like the creativity. Now he’s gotta learn body control.

not apparently athletic enough , maybe still rust from the core muscle bs?
I don't doubt he could make those moves in non game situations and have some success, but to do that in traffic as more than him trying to gain compensation for lack of explosiveness is a tough sell.

There’s certainly an argument to say Reddish should have just jumped strong for the cup after the first spin move. Maybe that comes back to his BBIQ not being that great? I was neither high nor low on Reddish in the draft process, and the fact he made that move and didn’t turn it over shows something.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#72 » by The_Hater » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:39 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
Nice footwork and a pretty miss if anything. I'd have tripped over myself

Well he clearly traveled and threw up an airball after the 2nd spin, and this was after he hooked the defender on what should have been an offensive foul to start the sequence.

So I'm not sure about your 'nice foolwork and pretty miss' take here, more like out of control rookie throws up wild airball.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,257

Post#73 » by Edrees » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:44 pm

If he made that it would be one of the best plays of all time lol.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Nuntius » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:47 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
sixerswillrule wrote:

http://www.basketref.com/en/index.php/?option=com_content&view=article&id=%207

See under "The cases shown on the 3 videos below will be legal after the rule changes"

If that's still a travel then I have no idea what the rule change was then. Seems like that was the entire point of the rule change. To align with the NBA and how if you have a foot on the ground at point of gather, you still have 2 more steps.

That's not a travel in FIBA nowadays either. But what Reddish did there is slightly different than these 3 cases. The rule says:

"While moving and having one foot on the floor while catching the ball or ending a dribble the next foot or feet to touch the floor is Step 1 and will become the pivot foot"

Look at Cam's left foot at the 0:13 mark of the video (the moment that he gathers the ball). The toe is still on the floor. That's perfectly fine for the NBA's definition of what a gather step is but I don't believe that this is how FIBA has been calling it.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,408

Post#75 » by MalonesElbows » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:50 pm

Cam "Category 5" Reddish.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,289

Post#76 » by God Squad » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:15 pm

marco102 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:He might be the worse player in the league

Hottake. I guess defense counts for nothing. If you want to say, right now, he looks like the most inefficient offensive player in the league, I wouldn't argue with you, but the worst player is a long stretch because he is actually good on the defensive end of the ball.

For a rookie, that's good. I don't get what all of you were expecting. As a Hawk's fan, I saw that he's raw and will need work. He hasn't had a full off season to to train and he's finding his way. Yes, he struggled at Duke. I understand that. If he hadn't gone to Duke, I think he'd get about 90% less hate than he gets on here.

If Cam Reddish didnt go to Duke and played the way he did. I can almost guarantee he wouldn't be picked in the lottery.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#77 » by God Squad » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:18 pm

They were going on about how Zion and RJ messed with his development. All Cam had to do was hit open 3s, and guess what he still can't do it. It's still early and he can very well figure it out. But he continues to look rough out there.
God Squad
RealGM

Post#78 » by God Squad » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:27 pm

ANTETOKOUNBROS wrote:Can’t believe I took this clown over Hachimura and Herro

Why the hell would you take him over Herro? Even Hachi has more of a green light in terms of scoring output.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,174
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#79 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Nov 1, 2019 8:08 pm

If that's not a travel, they should really just throw dribbling out the window completely. A double spin, lol.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,458

Post#80 » by og15 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 9:17 pm

VanWest82 wrote:Yup, a double spin move has four steps. Thanks for confirming, Cam.

Edit: watched it again. Is it possible it was only two plus the gather? He might be the worst player in the NBA but wow.

Looks like he spun while in the air for the second spin, so instead of just normally jumping? That's just a hilarious move though, fully out of control

NO-KG-AI wrote:If that's not a travel, they should really just throw dribbling out the window completely. A double spin, lol.
Looks like he only takes two steps, the second spin is an attempted 180 layup / floater of some sort

Return to The General Board