Matisse Thybulle Defense

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, PockyCandy, Prez, Yuri Vaultin, ken6199, Dirk

SexDrugsPnR
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,292
And1: 669
Joined: Aug 09, 2014
   

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#21 » by SexDrugsPnR » Fri Nov 1, 2019 3:58 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Are people pronouncing his last name wrong? Or is this an anglicized version or is this a Brett Favre kind of thing?

Curious how you'd pronounce it? Anglicized from what language?
VDT
Pro Prospect
Posts: 776
And1: 477
Joined: Oct 13, 2018

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#22 » by VDT » Fri Nov 1, 2019 3:58 pm

He is unusually good already.

He just needs to avoid the cheap fouls and master the art of flopping to be a complete defender
abark
Analyst
Posts: 3,507
And1: 1,594
Joined: May 21, 2003
Location: Miami
   

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#23 » by abark » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:35 pm

Eyeamok wrote:
abark wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
I want you to be right. But stop it man just stop it! It's too soon in the process. :lol:

But I do recall you singing his praises in pre-season. So I'd be happy to be wrong.

He's averaging 5 steals and 2.5 blocks per36 which is exactly what he did in preseason.

And just watching him, I've never seen any perimeter player so disruptive on defense.

Obviously you can't annoint him "the best ever" at anything after 5 games. But he I'd already be surprised if he doesn't end up in the conversation, barring injury.


Your reasoning might be sound if not for the fact that he has only played 4 professional games. Does that change your thought process :lol:

Nevermind, he sucks
matt6715
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,460
And1: 1,322
Joined: Jan 05, 2009
 

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#24 » by matt6715 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:40 pm

He should have been a lotto pick just based on that defensive potential alone.
CoP
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,673
And1: 1,633
Joined: May 04, 2017
       

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#25 » by CoP » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:40 pm

abark wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
abark wrote:He's averaging 5 steals and 2.5 blocks per36 which is exactly what he did in preseason.

And just watching him, I've never seen any perimeter player so disruptive on defense.

Obviously you can't annoint him "the best ever" at anything after 5 games. But he I'd already be surprised if he doesn't end up in the conversation, barring injury.


Your reasoning might be sound if not for the fact that he has only played 4 professional games. Does that change your thought process :lol:

Nevermind, he sucks

Yep, all players either suck or are the best ever.
knuckles862
Starter
Posts: 2,492
And1: 1,900
Joined: Oct 17, 2013

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#26 » by knuckles862 » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:46 pm

His defense is very good he is already an impact player as just a rookie. Brand did well drafting him
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,142
And1: 12,433
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#27 » by Sixerscan » Fri Nov 1, 2019 4:50 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Are people pronouncing his last name wrong? Or is this an anglicized version or is this a Brett Favre kind of thing?


The team/he says it's pronounced Thy-bull. Zach Lowe says Tie for some reason.

Here's Thybulle saying it

Read on Twitter
Chandan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,547
And1: 10,241
Joined: Nov 23, 2017
 

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#28 » by Chandan » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:12 pm

Triples333 wrote:I've mentioned before that in 30 years he's the best defensive prospect I've ever seen. His issues on O are indeed an issue, but with a lineup of Simmons/Thybull/Richardson/Horford/Embiid, I believe you have the best defensive unit ever.

Overall I do think they will go down as a GOAT level D.


are is their team defense anyways? Certainly they have some really physically gifted defenders.
Image
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 21,350
And1: 20,069
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#29 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:13 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Are people pronouncing his last name wrong? Or is this an anglicized version or is this a Brett Favre kind of thing?


The team/he says it's pronounced Thy-bull. Zach Lowe says Tie for some reason.

Here's Thybulle saying it

Read on Twitter


Anglicized it is then.
LipSkinMatter
Senior
Posts: 688
And1: 953
Joined: Apr 24, 2019
       

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#30 » by LipSkinMatter » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:15 pm

That 84 DRtg is sexy but that 6.7 PER is not ... not really sure what to think.
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 30,803
And1: 19,123
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#31 » by E-Balla » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:19 pm

He's always been amazing defensively but my issue with him is his offense might be too bad to justify playing him much. It's weird to see an offensive player with a decent jumper be this bad.

They call him the disrupter for a reason though.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,693
And1: 8,845
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#32 » by BullyKing » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:44 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Are people pronouncing his last name wrong? Or is this an anglicized version or is this a Brett Favre kind of thing?


The team/he says it's pronounced Thy-bull. Zach Lowe says Tie for some reason.

Here's Thybulle saying it

Read on Twitter


Anglicized it is then.


Hubie Brown pronounced it Thumb-bull if you like that better.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
youngcrev
RealGM
Posts: 19,670
And1: 3,038
Joined: Jun 12, 2005
Location: Philadelphia(ish)
   

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#33 » by youngcrev » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:45 pm

E-Balla wrote:He's always been amazing defensively but my issue with him is his offense might be too bad to justify playing him much. It's weird to see an offensive player with a decent jumper be this bad.

They call him the disrupter for a reason though.


If the shot starts falling in the mid-30s from 3 (the form is there, so we'll see if the results follow), I think he's a fine 5th option. He seems like a high IQ player on offense. Moves well off ball, makes makes the right passes. He's just really limited. He's very Danny Green-ish on that end.
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 30,803
And1: 19,123
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#34 » by E-Balla » Fri Nov 1, 2019 5:58 pm

youngcrev wrote:
E-Balla wrote:He's always been amazing defensively but my issue with him is his offense might be too bad to justify playing him much. It's weird to see an offensive player with a decent jumper be this bad.

They call him the disrupter for a reason though.


If the shot starts falling in the mid-30s from 3 (the form is there, so we'll see if the results follow), I think he's a fine 5th option. He seems like a high IQ player on offense. Moves well off ball, makes makes the right passes. He's just really limited. He's very Danny Green-ish on that end.

In college his shot fell and his offense was still terrible.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 8,108
And1: 4,050
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#35 » by HotelVitale » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:11 pm

abark wrote:
Eyeamok wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:The greatest perimeter defender of all time. Not even hyberbole.
I want you to be right. But stop it man just stop it! It's too soon in the process. :lol: But I do recall you singing his praises in pre-season. So I'd be happy to be wrong.
He's averaging 5 steals and 2.5 blocks per36 which is exactly what he did in preseason. And just watching him, I've never seen any perimeter player so disruptive on defense. Obviously you can't annoint him "the best ever" at anything after 5 games. But he I'd already be surprised if he doesn't end up in the conversation, barring injury.
Love Thybulle but I'd pump the brakes--a big chunk of his steals come from a few moves that ballhandlers should be able to get wise to, even if many of them just come from great anticipation and quick hands. I think he's still a really good defender beyond the stats but I'd caution against hyperbole based just on his steal/block, which is generally a bad way to measure defense anyway.
HotelVitale
General Manager
Posts: 8,108
And1: 4,050
Joined: Sep 14, 2007
Location: West Philly, PA

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#36 » by HotelVitale » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:17 pm

E-Balla wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
E-Balla wrote:He's always been amazing defensively but my issue with him is his offense might be too bad to justify playing him much. It's weird to see an offensive player with a decent jumper be this bad. They call him the disrupter for a reason though.
If the shot starts falling in the mid-30s from 3 (the form is there, so we'll see if the results follow), I think he's a fine 5th option. He seems like a high IQ player on offense. Moves well off ball, makes makes the right passes. He's just really limited. He's very Danny Green-ish on that end.
In college his shot fell and his offense was still terrible.
Not saying you don't have a point (and I'm also worried about Thybulle's offense) but I don't get exactly what it is. In college his shot didn't fall all that much (little over 30% from 3 his senior year) and his form was better than his percentages, and he still wasn't a bad offensive player. Plus in college there isn't really a 3D role, or at least it's not nearly as prominent and useful; plus Thybulle can also attack and pass pretty well so it's not like he doesn't have room to grow once he adjusts to NBA speed and spacing. I agree he's got some distinct weaknesses but I'm curious what your actual analysis of his offense is.
User avatar
Kabookalu
RealGM
Posts: 62,047
And1: 68,425
Joined: Aug 18, 2006
Location: Long Beach, California

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#37 » by Kabookalu » Fri Nov 1, 2019 6:35 pm

His defensive tenacity is something. With that said he gambles a little too much for my liking, not even just playing the passing lanes, but trying to always go for the steal on his man instead of playing disciplined defense. That's not a bad thing, but I think once teams start familiarizing themselves with his tendencies he'll get caught out more often (but still be great and annoying to deal with, like a bigger Patrick Beverly).
Read on Twitter
mattg
Head Coach
Posts: 6,403
And1: 1,522
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#38 » by mattg » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:01 pm

Kobblehead wrote:The greatest perimeter defender of all time. Not even hyberbole.

Oh please. He’s bonkers good playing free safety and helping and recovering, but he isn’t remotely as special on ball. He doesn’t disrupt the point of attack like you’d expect, or as well as many guys currently in the league do. Let’s pump the brakes a bit.
User avatar
Lalouie
Head Coach
Posts: 6,686
And1: 2,753
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#39 » by Lalouie » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:06 pm

Looks like a big play playmaker to me
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
Posts: 30,142
And1: 12,433
Joined: Jan 25, 2005

Re: Matisse Thybulle Defense 

Post#40 » by Sixerscan » Fri Nov 1, 2019 7:13 pm

Kabookalu wrote:His defensive tenacity is something. With that said he gambles a little too much for my liking, not even just playing the passing lanes, but trying to always go for the steal on his man instead of playing disciplined defense. That's not a bad thing, but I think once teams start familiarizing themselves with his tendencies he'll get caught out more often (but still be great and annoying to deal with, like a bigger Patrick Beverly).


Agreed, I'm very interested to see how teams start to game plan for him especially in a playoff series. But he's also in a good situation where he's not always the best defensive player on the court, so he's not always gambling off the other team's best player. And if he is, the other guys on the court are smart enough defenders that they can cover for some of his mistakes.

Return to The General Board