MVP Discussion [19/20] [part I] - voting reopened

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Antetokounmpo
51%
James
11%
Walker
1%
Doncic
24%
Harden
5%
Siakam
2%
Jokic
1%
Leonard
1%
Davis
3%
Towns
1%

Total votes: 497

Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,983

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part I] - voting reopened 

Post#2081 » by Archx » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:56 am

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Archx wrote:
Mighty Quinn wrote:I'm not yet sold on Doncic. His stats are always impressive and his team is winning. He plays with the flash of a guy whose been around professional players since a teen. All things working in his favor. Still, what's to say its anything more than a game of light and shadow? Many are quick to anoint him, but I'm reserving judgment until he makes a serious playoff run.

Since when has MVP become a playoff award? Giannis won last season but failed in playoffs. Would you say the same about him?

Quote Giannis failed in the playoffs End Quote.

Did you watch the playoffs? Did you watch them and try to understand what you were seeing before your eyes? Do you know how many points the raptors/bucks series was decided by? Do you know who won the nba championship last season? Did you see how Giannias was being covered? Did you notice the percentage of outside shots the bucks were making in the narrowly decided series they lost. Remember again which team they lost to?

What was your narrative again?

I wish you a good day.

General opinion is if you can't win a championship or get to the finals with a stacked team, you fail. I simply followed that rule with my own opinion as well even though i actually disagree with it. Weird isn't it?

My point still stands, as much as you tried to be a smart ass, regular season award has nothing to do with playoffs.

Good day to you as well.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,073

Post#2082 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:45 pm

Archx wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
Archx wrote:
Since when has MVP become a playoff award? Giannis won last season but failed in playoffs. Would you say the same about him?

Did you watch the playoffs? Did you watch them and try to understand what you were seeing before your eyes? Do you know how many points the raptors/bucks series was decided by? Do you know who won the nba championship last season? Did you see how Giannias was being covered? Did you notice the percentage of outside shots the bucks were making in the narrowly decided series they lost. Remember again which team they lost to?

I wish you a good day.

General opinion is if you can't win a championship or get to the finals with a stacked team, you fail. I simply followed that rule with my own opinion as well even though i actually disagree with it. Weird isn't it?

My point still stands, as much as you tried to be a smart ass, regular season award has nothing to do with playoffs.

Good day to you as well.

Stacked?
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,469

Post#2083 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:08 pm

nikster wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:How is Harden over Giannis????

Giannis is having the better individual season with a GOAT tier individual season peak, with the best team record.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Giannis also plays on a much more stacked team. Harden has a much much larger workload.

yup, the link OP posted shows 3 more Bucks being top 33 in offensive RPM.
Because they are on a winning, well coached team.

Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,469

Post#2084 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:12 pm

LoneyROY wrote:Harden has taken it to another level with his efficiency lately.

Less FTs, higher efficiency. James killing narratives by the day.
45% shooting for the year. Better than his average, but that's nothing to be wowed by. TS% includes free throw shooting. Which I simply won't acknowledge, cause that's not how I acknowledge how good a scorer someone is.

Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#2085 » by Dupp » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:38 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:

45% shooting for the year. Better than his average, but that's nothing to be wowed by. TS% includes free throw shooting. Which I simply won't acknowledge, cause that's not how I acknowledge how good a scorer someone is.

Do you acknowledge that he takes early 14 threes a game and that he’s actually shooting much close to 46% than 45% when evaluating his efficiency or do you refuse to factor that it too?
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#2086 » by red96 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:53 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:

Because ft's have nothing to do with scoring. Lol. I'm sure MJ, Kobe, and all the other greats agree with you.

Ft's should be done away with. Lolz.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,708

Post#2087 » by scrabbarista » Wed Jan 1, 2020 3:36 am

red96 wrote:
Jaqua92 wrote:

Because ft's have nothing to do with scoring. Lol. I'm sure MJ, Kobe, and all the other greats agree with you.

Ft's should be done away with. Lolz.

Harden shooting 55% from the field and 50% from three averaging 38.8 over his last ten games. Only 7.8 fta's.
LoneyROY
Veteran
And1: 2,972

Post#2088 » by LoneyROY » Wed Jan 1, 2020 3:44 am

Jaqua92 wrote:

He's currently shooting 46.1 percent for the field and 38.3 percent from 3. 64.2 TS shooting percentage.

That's incredible efficiency considering his volume of 3s.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#2089 » by DrWood » Wed Jan 1, 2020 4:32 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Archx wrote:
GreatWhiteStiff wrote:

I wish you a good day.

Good day to you as well.

Stacked?

well, they did have Giannis. That's almost not fair.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,844

Post#2090 » by GSP » Wed Jan 1, 2020 7:02 am

This is gonna be the same #1 and 2 as last year. Giannis and Harden. Theyre become 2 of the best regular season players weve seen in quite some time

Rockets are finally healthy, have all their players now and made a mockery of the #2 seed Nuggets. With health Houston could easily make a run at a top 2 seed in the West with the Lakers being their only real challenge and Ad/Lebron on the same team will take away votes from each other
90sAllDecade
Starter
And1: 793

Post#2091 » by 90sAllDecade » Wed Jan 1, 2020 9:45 am

Read on Twitter
NBA TV Clutch City Documentary Trailer:
https://vimeo.com/134215151
AussieBuck
RealGM
And1: 19,729

Post#2092 » by AussieBuck » Wed Jan 1, 2020 9:57 am

90sAllDecade wrote:
Read on Twitter

*slight regular season edge over Durant and Lebron. Obviously lapped by both in playoffs. Not that any of this is relevant to the thread.
emunney wrote:
We need a man shaped like a chicken nugget with the shot selection of a 21st birthday party.

GHOSTofSIKMA wrote:
if you combined jabari parker, royal ivey, a shrimp and a ball sack youd have javon carter
Big Dog Yank
Senior
And1: 767

Post#2093 » by Big Dog Yank » Wed Jan 1, 2020 1:56 pm

Let's reopen the voting or let people change their vote.
"Ready to Die"
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#2094 » by scrabbarista » Wed Jan 1, 2020 2:20 pm

As posted in the general thread, James Harden (38.2 ppg) now has a better 3P% and a better 2P% than LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Joel Embiid, and Kawhi Leonard.

Killing narratives by the day, indeed.
scrabbarista
RealGM

Post#2095 » by scrabbarista » Wed Jan 1, 2020 2:50 pm

as of the morning of Wednesday, January 1st

13.9 Harde, HOU
13.2 Antet, MIL
11.2 James, LAL
10.7 Butle, MIA
10.1 Gober, UTA

10.0 Jokic, DEN
9.9 Doncic, DAL

Third and fourth have been steady for a long time. Antetokounmpo occupied first for a week around Christmas, but Harden has held it down for most of the season (I started about a month in). Fifth place has been a merry-go-round from game to game, with Doncic holding it more often than not.

This formula matches the last 8 MVP winners. It doesn't match 2011 Derrick Rose. That season's award was obviously narrative-driven and should have gone to LeBron James. A "normal" MVP scores maybe a 23 to a 26, whereas '09 LeBron James was a 33.4 and '16 Stephen Curry was a 31.3. Unfortunately, I don't have '00 Shaq or any Michael Jordan seasons, as play-by-play data only goes back to the '01 season.

I would like to do a thread at the end of the year where I list the score and name of the 2019-2020 "MVP" of each of the 30 teams. It would be somewhat time-consuming, but I think it would be interesting enough to make it worth it.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#2096 » by Ballerhogger » Wed Jan 1, 2020 3:57 pm

GSP wrote:This is gonna be the same #1 and 2 as last year. Giannis and Harden. Theyre become 2 of the best regular season players weve seen in quite some time

Rockets are finally healthy, have all their players now and made a mockery of the #2 seed Nuggets. With health Houston could easily make a run at a top 2 seed in the West with the Lakers being their only real challenge and Ad/Lebron on the same team will take away votes from each other

I don’t see rockets making it to 2nd seed. Not enough defense . They can’t beat pelicans without harden
HBK_Kliq_33
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#2097 » by HBK_Kliq_33 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 4:05 pm

scrabbarista wrote:as of the morning of Wednesday, January 1st

13.9 Harde, HOU
13.2 Antet, MIL
11.2 James, LAL
10.7 Butle, MIA
10.1 Gober, UTA

10.0 Jokic, DEN
9.9 Doncic, DAL

Third and fourth have been steady for a long time. Antetokounmpo occupied first for a week around Christmas, but Harden has held it down for most of the season (I started about a month in). Fifth place has been a merry-go-round from game to game, with Doncic holding it more often than not.

This formula matches the last 8 MVP winners. It doesn't match 2011 Derrick Rose. That season's award was obviously narrative-driven and should have gone to LeBron James. A "normal" MVP scores maybe a 23 to a 26, whereas '09 LeBron James was a 33.4 and '16 Stephen Curry was a 31.3. Unfortunately, I don't have '00 Shaq or any Michael Jordan seasons, as play-by-play data only goes back to the '01 season.

I would like to do a thread at the end of the year where I list the score and name of the 2019-2020 "MVP" of each of the 30 teams. It would be somewhat time-consuming, but I think it would be interesting enough to make it worth it.

Who in their right minds put Gobert on that list. You got to be **** kidding me. Kawhi has clippers at 5th ranked defense (21st last year) despite Paul George posting a -0.14 DRPM and also is the best scorer/playmaker on a 6th ranked offense, top 3 SRS overall. But you want to name drop the dork Gobert out of all people? Come on man.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,277

Post#2098 » by mademan » Wed Jan 1, 2020 5:46 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:
GSP wrote:This is gonna be the same #1 and 2 as last year. Giannis and Harden. Theyre become 2 of the best regular season players weve seen in quite some time

I don’t see rockets making it to 2nd seed. Not enough defense . They can’t beat pelicans without harden

Without Harden and WB though. And Harden is an iron man; he's missed 14 games total in the last 5 years
Osirus89
Starter
And1: 2,016

Post#2099 » by Osirus89 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 7:32 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:

And Lakers can’t beat Indiana without AD.
Even with LeBron playing.

Or the Clippers in two tries with LeBron and AD.

They were missing a whole lot more than just James Harden in the NO game.
red96
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,380

Post#2100 » by red96 » Wed Jan 1, 2020 7:35 pm

Ballerhogger wrote:

Such a disingenuous post. The Rockets were without Harden, Westbrook, and Capela.
"Morey decided in 2007 that Steve Francis was to be the "franchise player" of the Rockets only to play what... 5 games? Morey didn't think Marc Gasol was worth a look that year,"
-baki "the Rockets fan"

Return to The General Board