MVP Discussion [19/20] [part I] - voting reopened

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Antetokounmpo
51%
James
11%
Walker
1%
Doncic
24%
Harden
5%
Siakam
2%
Jokic
1%
Leonard
1%
Davis
3%
Towns
1%

Total votes: 497

Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part I] 

Post#221 » by Triples333 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Triples333
Assistant Coach

Post#222 » by Triples333 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 pm

makaveli_99 wrote:
Triples333 wrote:
trueballer7 wrote:Giannis and Harden are the only clear cut candidates, up until now.

Harden is shooting 39% from the field and 30% from 3 on the most attempts per game in history. 6 turnovers per game. Harden has no place in an MVP discussion with his free throw centric game.

...and yet lebron james TS% = 56%, and James Harden = 60%.

lebron points per game = 24.6
Harden points per game = 37.8

You may not like his ft game, but he still manages to get it done. need to take an unbiased perspective here. if fts were so easy to get, everyone would do it.

it will come down to giannis and harden again imo. Again, record will probably be an important factor. I thought Embiid would be a nice dark horse, but not sure anymore.

And Giannis has a 64% TS with fantastic rebounding and defense.

Beyond the absurd turnovers and abysmal shooting, this is some of the worst defensive effort of Harden's career. He is not pretending to try on that end and is borderline unwatchable as a spectator. I know big PPG on his historically high usage are nice to look at in the box score, but this is no MVP campaign my dude.
Joest2003
Analyst
And1: 1,234

Post#223 » by Joest2003 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:28 pm

Portland and Minnesota not even currently in the top 8 seeds in their division. Lillard and KAT shouldnt even be in the discussion. Hate to be the one to say it. I would even put Booker and Kemba way ahead of those guys. But it's a popularity contest and people let the media tell them who the best players are
Triples333
Assistant Coach

Post#224 » by Triples333 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:45 pm

Joest2003 wrote:Portland and Minnesota not even currently in the top 8 seeds in their division. Lillard and KAT shouldnt even be in the discussion. Hate to be the one to say it. I would even put Booker and Kemba way ahead of those guys. But it's a popularity contest and people let the media tell them who the best players are

We are barely starting the season and there are 1-2 games separating these teams lol. Despite Bookers unsustainable shooting, both KAT and especially Lillard have clearly been the better players. Lillard consistently leads his team above expectations and was in the Western Conference Finals last year (down a premiere center) before finally being outplayed by Curry. There is no "popularity contest" in having him over Devin **** Booker lol. I like Kemba but he is not/never will be an MVP candidate and doesn't deserve discussion.
Joest2003
Analyst

Post#225 » by Joest2003 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:59 pm

Triples333 wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:Portland and Minnesota not even currently in the top 8 seeds in their division. Lillard and KAT shouldnt even be in the discussion. Hate to be the one to say it. I would even put Booker and Kemba way ahead of those guys. But it's a popularity contest and people let the media tell them who the best players are

We are barely starting the season and there are 1-2 games separating these teams lol. Despite Bookers unsustainable shooting, both KAT and especially Lillard have clearly been the better players. Lillard consistently leads his team above expectations and was in the Western Conference Finals last year (down a premiere center) before finally being outplayed by Curry. There is no "popularity contest" in having him over Devin **** Booker lol. I like Kemba but he is not/never will be an MVP candidate and doesn't deserve discussion.

Why are you talking about what Lillard did last year? As of now his team is not even .500

As of today, Kemba is 100% more of a MVP candidate than Lillard. Winning matters and a team that's hovering around .500 will never have a MVP.
Triples333
Assistant Coach

Post#226 » by Triples333 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:11 pm

Joest2003 wrote:
Triples333 wrote:

Why are you talking about what Lillard did last year? As of now his team is not even .500

As of today, Kemba is 100% more of a MVP candidate than Lillard. Winning matters and a team that's hovering around .500 will never have a MVP.

Because precedent matters and a team's record is next to meaningless 8 games into the season? Kemba is the same player he has always been. And it's no MVP. Sorry if you're a Kemba/Celtics fan or something, that's not a debate worth having. Lillard and KAT are special players and have an outside shot of being an MVP with the level they are at (granted neither are Giannis level). Again, it is no fault of Lillard that his teammates have been terrible. His play has been incredible.
HoopsterJones
RealGM
And1: 13,388

Post#227 » by HoopsterJones » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:18 pm

If the Mavs make the playoffs and Luka Doncic keeps up his current production (27.7/10.8/9.1) I think he should get serious consideration.
2023-2024 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 40-42
0 All Stars:
Joest2003
Analyst

Post#228 » by Joest2003 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:20 pm

Triples333 wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:
Triples333 wrote:

Because precedent matters and a team's record is next to meaningless 8 games into the season? Kemba is the same player he has always been. And it's no MVP. Sorry if you're a Kemba/Celtics fan or something, that's not a debate worth having. Lillard and KAT are special players and have an outside shot of being an MVP with the level they are at (granted neither are Giannis level). Again, it is no fault of Lillard that his teammates have been terrible. His play has been incredible.

Trailblazers didnt play 8 games though. They played 10 and lost 6 already..

"Kemba is the same player hes always been"

Ya a starter in the all star game and all NBA last year. Now hes actually on a good team.
Triples333
Assistant Coach

Post#229 » by Triples333 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:29 pm

Joest2003 wrote:
Triples333 wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:

Ya a starter in the all star game and all NBA last year. Now hes actually on a good team.

10 games? Yikes. Season is as good as done huh?

Yes, Kemba did sneak into All NBA 3rd team for the first time last season. Kudos. Fun little player. Lillard was All NBA 2nd/1st/2nd Team the last three seasons. We are talking about vastly different caliber of players. And Lillard is once again vastly out-playing him and virtually everyone else in the league right now. Still a team sport. I'm much more concerned with an individuals caliber of play and how sustainable it is than a 1-3 game difference in the standings. But good luck on on your Kemba 2020 campaign.
Joest2003
Analyst

Post#230 » by Joest2003 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:46 pm

Triples333 wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:
Triples333 wrote:Because precedent matters and a team's record is next to meaningless 8 games into the season? Kemba is the same player he has always been. And it's no MVP. Sorry if you're a Kemba/Celtics fan or something, that's not a debate worth having. Lillard and KAT are special players and have an outside shot of being an MVP with the level they are at (granted neither are Giannis level). Again, it is no fault of Lillard that his teammates have been terrible. His play has been incredible.

Yes, Kemba did sneak into All NBA 3rd team for the first time last season. Kudos. Fun little player. Lillard was All NBA 2nd/1st/2nd Team the last three seasons. We are talking about vastly different caliber of players. And Lillard is once again vastly out-playing him and virtually everyone else in the league right now. Still a team sport. I'm much more concerned with an individuals caliber of play and how sustainable it is than a 1-3 game difference in the standings. But good luck on on your Kemba 2020 campaign.

Once again talking about the past. For now you should be worried about making the playoffs not MVPS. Couldnt even beat the warriors 3rd stringers.
Triples333
Assistant Coach

Post#231 » by Triples333 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Joest2003 wrote:
Triples333 wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:

Once again talking about the past. For now you should be worried about making the playoffs not MVPS. Couldnt even beat the warriors 3rd stringers.

Says the guy who brought up Kemba's illustrious All Time Best 3rd Team All NBA award as his credentials. He will never be an MVP candidate my guy, and is not playing close to one as is. You can go ahead and let that ship sail. And I am not a Lillard/Blazers fan. I can just objectively recognize MVP play when I see it. Clearly the stats back me up. Have a good day.
Joest2003
Analyst

Post#232 » by Joest2003 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Triples333 wrote:
Joest2003 wrote:
Triples333 wrote:10 games? Yikes. Season is as good as done huh?

Says the guy who brought up Kemba's illustrious All Time Best 3rd Team All NBA award as his credentials. He will never be an MVP candidate my guy, and is not playing close to one as is. You can go ahead and let that ship sail. And I am not a Lillard/Blazers fan. I can just objectively recognize MVP play when I see it. Clearly the stats back me up. Have a good day.

I dont think Kemba will win MVP I just pointed out how the celtics currently have the best record and hes their best player at the moment. You said hes the same player he always been so I pointed out he was all NBA and a all star starter last year. I dont think its farfetched to at least have him as an option.

I don't see Portland or Minnesota as a top 3 in the west so I just cant see Lillard or KAT winning MVP
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,240

Post#233 » by djsunyc » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:16 pm

Read on Twitter
juju14
Pro Prospect
And1: 389

Post#234 » by juju14 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:45 pm

djsunyc wrote:
Read on Twitter

Played more games too. He definitely been on Kawhi level, but i don't know who been playing better defense.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,240

Post#235 » by djsunyc » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:50 pm

juju14 wrote:
djsunyc wrote:
Read on Twitter

Played more games too. He definitely been on Kawhi level, but i don't know who been playing better defense.

siakam's drtg is 100.4
kawhi right now is 96.9
giannis is 100.0
anthony davis is 95.3
lebron's at 96.0
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,752

Post#236 » by Heej » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
Heej wrote:As far as I remember, Giannis has yet to complete an entire season playing as well as he does the first 3 months.

First 3 months (33 games) : 26.6 pts | 12.8 reb | 6.1 ast | .636 TS%

Last 4 months ( 39 games) : 28.6 pts | 12.3 reb | 5.7 ast | .651 TS%

Seems like he had a pretty complete season last year. You don't win MVPs by cooling off for the last 4 months of the year

Good call on that for last year being the aberration. But as I've remembered, and as the stats back it up when you look at this career splits and splits the previous seasons, Giannis has been a historically hot starter. Especially in the first month of games, which we're still in. It remains to be seen whether last year was an outlier compared to the rest of his career or the mark of a new norm.

But I'm still gonna go with what I've experienced watching Giannis over the years and not put stock on him continuing to play at the level he is now, primarily because I think he's just in peak condition right now which allows his physical superiority to stand out more than it does by the end of the season after he's worn out. I'll be interested to see if he proves me wrong this year, after which I'll officially take him out of my 'hot starter' category and give him the benefit of the doubt when he posts insane statlines to start the season.
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#237 » by Packbuckman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:20 pm

Heej wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
Heej wrote:As far as I remember, Giannis has yet to complete an entire season playing as well as he does the first 3 months.

Seems like he had a pretty complete season last year. You don't win MVPs by cooling off for the last 4 months of the year

Good call on that for last year being the aberration. But as I've remembered, and as the stats back it up when you look at this career splits and splits the previous seasons, Giannis has been a historically hot starter. Especially in the first month of games, which we're still in. It remains to be seen whether last year was an outlier compared to the rest of his career or the mark of a new norm.

But I'm still gonna go with what I've experienced watching Giannis over the years and not put stock on him continuing to play at the level he is now, primarily because I think he's just in peak condition right now which allows his physical superiority to stand out more than it does by the end of the season after he's worn out. I'll be interested to see if he proves me wrong this year, after which I'll officially take him out of my 'hot starter' category and give him the benefit of the doubt when he posts insane statlines to start the season.

The previous years what when he was 18 to 23 and his body was still growing lol
He hasn’t even hit his prime yet lol which is scary for the league he’s only getting better so good luck with your theory.
yannisk
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,739

Post#238 » by yannisk » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Heej wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:

I think he started very strongly on 2017-2018 and then faded, but is no rule. Early in his career he was better in the second half, and last year too.

2013-2014 better in the second half
2014-2015 better in the second half
2015-2016 better in the second half
2016-2017 better in the first half
2017-2018 better in the first half
2018-2019 better in the second half
MisterHibachi
RealGM
And1: 19,073

Post#239 » by MisterHibachi » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:52 am

Middleton out for some time. Giannis could very well secure the MVP in the coming weeks if the Bucks go on a winning streak.
"He looked like Batman coming out of nowhere"
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,470

Re: 2019-20 MVP Discussion Thread (Pt. 1) 

Post#240 » by Jaqua92 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:30 am

lecola wrote:He will be somebody from the east between Embiid, Kemba, Giannis, Siakam, Lowry
2 Raptors?

Lowry? What?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Return to The General Board