Mavs looking legit

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Will the Mavs make the 2020 playoffs?

Yes, Mavs will make the playoffs
68%
No, Mavs will not make the playoffs
15%
I'm not sure if the Mavs will make the playoffs
17%

Total votes: 356

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,039

Re: Mavs looking legit 

Post#201 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:37 pm

Archx wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
And games like that will happen again, but you need 50%+ wins for the playoffs. You know that something is wrong just with looking at their starting 5 yesterday. 3 of them are bench warmers in any serious team. I don’t believe there’s anybody in Nba, who can win alone against a team with great shooting night, if the rest of the team is shooting 30% Fg.

I was under the impression that Luka is supposed to make those around him look better. It's not a coincidence role players stop hitting shots once the star is playing hero ball. I'm sure Luka will revert to a more team-oriented player after the All-Star break though.

Eh, Wright, THJ and others were missing open shots and open layups. KP and Luka were the only 2 players that actually came to play. Maxi was bad on defense while he is usually very reliable there, Powell completely forgot how to roll to the rim etc...

Powell and Kleber were also horrible on the boards. You can’t have your bigs continuously getting low rebounding numbers and expect to consistently win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM

Post#202 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:40 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Archx wrote:Man, go back and re-watch the game :)

LD&KP = 66pts 24/48 FG ... 7/19 3pt

Rest of the team = 36pts 13/42 FG ....7/25 3pt

Luka had 10 assists rest of the team combined 8. If they made more open shots, Luka could have had 15 assists or more. Calling him selfish in games like these when no one shows up, is nonsense. Also comparing him to RW is even bigger nonsense.

Not that far away as a comparison based on his current style of play, but I'm not expecting a Luka fan to agree.

I haven't seen anyone taking so much 3s with 17s on the clock, maybe Harden, but I don't watch HOU games, more interested in the up-and-coming teams.

Anyway, good luck to the Mavs in the playoffs with such poor ball-movement.

You understand you come across as someone that just hates Luka right? The guy gets a very efficient triple double and yet HE’s the problem. Sorry bud, you’re not going to convince anyone of that. If you want to hate on the guy, that’s fine but at least try to come with facts.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#203 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:44 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Bob8 wrote:We don’t agree, so maybe we should try with math.
Luka and Kp 48 shots, 66 points, rest of the team 42 shots, 36 points. Only possible conclusion, Luka and Kp should have taken as many shots possible.

You watch EL and even claim it's a better style of basketball. If you think it's normal two players take more shots than the rest of the team..I don't know what to say.

You realize you’re not watching the EL right! This is the NBA, the rules are different which leads to a different brand of ball. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to watch. Just stick to watching EL games.

deb
Senior
And1: 455

Post#204 » by deb » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:45 pm

Mr B wrote:
Spoiler:
Dundalis wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Rebounding just lost us a game bud

Biggest cherry picker I've seen. Overall defense, no one showing up offensively outside of Luka and KP. But nope, it was the rebounding. I've seen us be a weak rebounding team and be dominant, and I've seen us be a great rebounding team and be garbage. It's important, but it's level of importance is so incredibly overrated, especially the need to have one big who can gobble them all up. Oh and we are still 4th in the NBA this season in rebounding. But our most desperate need right now is a lane clogger apparently. Please. This team needs someone who can create their offense outside of Luka so they don't have to play THJ so much, and it needs a starting calibre 3&D wing, way way more than they need a lane clogger who can rebound. It's becoming much more clear why Kemba Walker was the primary target in FA.
ubernathan wrote:Mavs are in bad shape. They're fixing to enter grit and grind grizz territory: too bad for playoff success, too good for the draft picks they need to improve.

Huh? This team isn't searching for it's next superstar. It already has the core of the team and they are embryo's (20 and 24)in terms of NBA development. They can very easily supplement their core with better starting calibre talent to make them contenders through trade and FA. Your scenario is more like having a 35 year old Dirk and a bunch of really solid players with a good coach putting them in no man's land to really get better (and especially younger).

This team isn't remotely like that.
Bob8 wrote:I said it before, Mavs are not playoffs team. How you can blame Luka and KP, who scored 66 points, both with 50% Fg? Luka had 63% TS. All others scored 36 points, having incredible bad 30% Fg. They just don’t have good enough team at the moment. If people are disappointed today, what will happen when those 2 will have really bad game? Should Mavs trade them? :lol:

No way that Luka continues with 28/10.5/9 with very good efficiency. He can cut 2 TOs per game and that’s more or less it. His playing at his temporary limit at the moment.

To be fair, we already had a game where both KP and Luka played poorly and we beat Denver. As far as I'm concerned, while this team needs personnel improvement like I've said, this type of stuff is an overreaction. We weren't leading the league in offensive efficiency all because of Luka and while having zero talent around him. Plenty of guys had a game where they played way below what they have proven they can do in the past. It's the definition of overreaction to one game.

You can call it cherry picking if you want, it’s a fact. If they had won the rebounding battle in this game or the Lakers game they would have won. That’s a fact.

They did in fact outrebound the Lakers by 20 boards... And they are still 4th in rebounds per game in the whole of NBA with an average of 48,1 rebounds per game. They are 8th in the league in RBD%. What are you talking about?
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,044

Post#205 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:48 pm

Mr B wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Archx wrote:Man, go back and re-watch the game :)

LD&KP = 66pts 24/48 FG ... 7/19 3pt

Rest of the team = 36pts 13/42 FG ....7/25 3pt

Luka had 10 assists rest of the team combined 8. If they made more open shots, Luka could have had 15 assists or more. Calling him selfish in games like these when no one shows up, is nonsense. Also comparing him to RW is even bigger nonsense.

Not that far away as a comparison based on his current style of play, but I'm not expecting a Luka fan to agree.

I haven't seen anyone taking so much 3s with 17s on the clock, maybe Harden, but I don't watch HOU games, more interested in the up-and-coming teams.

You understand you come across as someone that just hates Luka right? The guy gets a very efficient triple double and yet HE’s the problem. Sorry bud, you’re not going to convince anyone of that. If you want to hate on the guy, that’s fine but at least try to come with facts.

The facts are I never said he's the problem, only that his game is starting to look more and more like of those players in NBA that many hate - stat padding, glory-hunting, flopping, always complaining to the refs. My first comment was about the value of the team play, but I guess my last comments are pure hate, so be it.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#206 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:51 pm

Mr B wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Bob8 wrote:We don’t agree, so maybe we should try with math.
Luka and Kp 48 shots, 66 points, rest of the team 42 shots, 36 points. Only possible conclusion, Luka and Kp should have taken as many shots possible.

You watch EL and even claim it's a better style of basketball. If you think it's normal two players take more shots than the rest of the team..I don't know what to say.

You realize you’re not watching the EL right! This is the NBA, the rules are different which leads to a different brand of ball. If you don’t like it, you don’t have to watch. Just stick to watching EL games.

No, thanks. I prefer to watch both. There are still teams that play good BB in NBA(like the Suns :D) and all the best players are here. I may not watch any more of Mavs games though, thanks for the advice.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,562

Post#207 » by Bob8 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:52 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Well, I have played in national school championships in my country, a teammate is now a professional coach. My BB knowledge is certainly not based on playing NBA2k or fantasy leagues. ;)

It's mind-boggling to even try to defend that Luka shot. It was so obvious glory-hunting action and such players are usually hated by their teammates. Good luck with winning anything when two of your players take more shots then the rest combined.

Btw, EU game is all about taking shots from good looks, so no idea what are you talking about ;)

There is no way that opponents in Europe allow 3 points shot in last possession. Watching how Mavs has lost against LA it might be different in Nba. ;) Obviously nobody has told Luka, that team won’t foul him in last seconds. Petty. :cry:

Who says he should have taken a 3 pointer, much less from half-court ? And they are not taking 3s in last possessions in Europe ? What ? That's bizarre. With 18s on the clock you have so many options...

They cannot taken 3 because they’re fouled before. Sure, he could try to make 2, but that would mean that Knicks would have 1 point and the ball around 10 seconds before the end, and nobody guarantee that Mavs would have made 2 points or 2 Fts. He took a risk and failed and looking for that perspective and knowing the future, it was wrong choice. Like it was wrong choice not fouling LeBron being 3 up vs. Lakers. Basketball is not exactly exact science. But there is a fact that Mavs are 5:3, Luka averaging 28/10.5/9 with TS 60.4 %.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#208 » by Archx » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:55 pm

sunsbg wrote:Who says he should have taken a 3 pointer, much less from half-court ? And they are not taking 3s in last possessions in Europe ? What ? That's bizarre. With 18s on the clock you have so many options...

Calm down mate, he admitted that he made a huge mistake. I've seen superstar veterans make even bigger mistakes than this shot.

Read on Twitter
Mr B
RealGM

Post#209 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:55 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Mr B wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

No, thanks. I prefer to watch both. There are still teams that play good BB in NBA(like the Suns :D) and all the best players are here. I may not watch any more of Mavs games though, thanks for the advice.

Yea you should definitely stick to watching the Suns. I’m sure you will see more winning watching their games (that’s called sarcasm). Plus that way you won’t have to watch such a horrible player in Luka. The guys that really support the Mavs would rather you just not watch this team.

Bob8
General Manager

Post#210 » by Bob8 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 5:56 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Mr B wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

If I were without manners and a bit rude, I could ask how Ayton is doing. :oops: But I won’t. :wink: :D

Btw. not Mavs and not Suns are going to win anything serious this year. So just relax and enjoy your team, like I will my.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#211 » by Stribor » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:00 pm

I believe his coach is actually direct him to play hero-ball as a part of learning. More situations in which your shoot matter will help player relax in the future such situations. He is still developing and his individual growth trumping the team success at this moment makes sense. If they get close to playoffs and if in the key games he still has a dubious shot selection - then it is a time to get worried. Beginning of the season for team which is not projected to be contender this year is a time when you need let players develop individually.

For instance I am afraid that my sixers decided to be contenders to early which hurt developing of Ben (and even perhaps Fultz).
sunsbg
Lead Assistant

Post#212 » by sunsbg » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:02 pm

Bob8 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Mr B wrote:

If I were without manners and a bit rude, I could ask how Ayton is doing. :oops: But I won’t. :wink: :D

And exactly why should your and Mr B's replies bother me ? Because the Suns have the same record as the Mavs led by their "superstar" while the Suns are without one of their best player ? :lol:

As I said, my initial reply was to point out team play still matters, but you Luka fans always bring the worst from other posters. Bye.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#213 » by TimRobbins » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:02 pm

Mavs need another All-Star level player to be more than a fringe playoff team.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#214 » by Bob8 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:05 pm

Stribor wrote:I believe his coach is actually direct him to play hero-ball as a part of learning. More situations in which your shoot matter will help player relax in the future such situations. He is still developing and his individual growth trumping the team success at this moment makes sense. If they get close to playoffs and if in the key games he still has a dubious shot selection - then it is a time to get worried. Beginning of the season for team which is not projected to be contender this year is a time when you need let players develop individually.

For instance I am afraid that my sixers decided to be contenders to early which hurt developing of Ben (and even perhaps Fultz).

Yes, people not being satisfied with 20 years old player, leading the team and averaging 28/10.5/9 with 60.4% TS is absurd. Like it or not Luka is in consideration for MVP at the moment. Won’t happen and his stats are probably unsustainable, but still.

Second in Assists, 6th in scoring, 13th in rebounds should be impossible for 20 years old player.
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#215 » by reflex35 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:08 pm

sunsbg wrote:
Mr B wrote:
sunsbg wrote:

The facts are I never said he's the problem, only that his game is starting to look more and more like of those players in NBA that many hate - stat padding, glory-hunting, flopping, always complaining to the refs. My first comment was about the value of the team play, but I guess my last comments are pure hate, so be it.

The second year guy is averaging 28 points, 10 rebounds and 9 assists. He is playing as the only creator on the team. Usually makes good decisions.
And for some reason we still look at this negatively.

We’re talking about 20 years old dude.
Can someone name me please another player in the second year who was doing the same and having those stats?

We’re going a bit crazy if we don’t understand how unmatched those numbers are...
Mr B
RealGM

Post#216 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:11 pm

Stribor wrote:I believe his coach is actually direct him to play hero-ball as a part of learning. More situations in which your shoot matter will help player relax in the future such situations. He is still developing and his individual growth trumping the team success at this moment makes sense. If they get close to playoffs and if in the key games he still has a dubious shot selection - then it is a time to get worried. Beginning of the season for team which is not projected to be contender this year is a time when you need let players develop individually.

That’s an interesting theory. I won’t say it’s wrong. Carlisle has always been great at developing young guards and working with PG’s who have a high IQ.

One thing I know that Luka needs to develop is the ability to slow the game down. Jason Kidd was a master at this. Whenever the game would get “Helter Skelter” Jason Kidd had a way of taking over the game by slowing it down. He’d pull the ball back and run a couple of set plays to settle everyone down. Luka had the opportunity to do this twice in the game last night and failed to do so. The first chance he took the ill advised 3pt shot, the second time he turned the ball over after driving the baseline with nowhere to pass the ball. His BBIQ is so high though that I have no doubt he will learn this over the next couple of years.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#217 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:18 pm

TimRobbins wrote:Mavs need another All-Star level player to be more than a fringe playoff team.

That would definitely help. Over the next couple of seasons we are going to see vets willing to take a little less to come play in Dallas with Luka and KP.

I think they can win without a 3rd star player though. They just need to upgrade the talent around Luka and KP. Personally I like DFS, Wright, and Brunson. They will also be ok with keeping one of Powell or Kleber but not both. Everyone else could be upgraded.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#218 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:20 pm

reflex35 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Mr B wrote:

The second year guy is averaging 28 points, 10 rebounds and 9 assists. He is playing as the only creator on the team. Usually makes good decisions.

Can someone name me please another player in the second year who was doing the same and having those stats?

We’re going a bit crazy if we don’t understand how unmatched those numbers are...

The only guys in NBA history doing what Luka has done are named Oscar Robinson, Labron James, and Magic Johnson. I’d say Luka is on the right path and still developing.

Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,824

Post#219 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:22 pm

TimRobbins wrote:Mavs need another All-Star level player to be more than a fringe playoff team.

Hard for them to add that unless they are willing to take on the huge contract of Love or Paul. They simply don't have the assets to trade for an all-star level player that doesn't come with sizable risk like those two.

I think for this year they'd be thrilled just to get in and get Luka a taste. Then they hope next year KP is a 2nd all-star level player and one or more of the role players steps their game up a bit and maybe they get into the 2nd round in 2021. Then they go into that summer with the flexibility to sign a max guy with Luka playing near an MVP level, KP being a top 5 defensive player and efficient offensive option, and they can attract a 3rd star.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 7,979

Post#220 » by Archx » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:26 pm

reflex35 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
Mr B wrote:

I don't know how old Oscar was, but it should give you an idea how good Doncic's stats are. And Mavs also have positive record, it's not like they are 0-8.

Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board