Mavs looking legit

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Will the Mavs make the 2020 playoffs?

Yes, Mavs will make the playoffs
68%
No, Mavs will not make the playoffs
15%
I'm not sure if the Mavs will make the playoffs
17%

Total votes: 356

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Re: Mavs looking legit 

Post#221 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:31 pm

Archx wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
sunsbg wrote:
The facts are I never said he's the problem, only that his game is starting to look more and more like of those players in NBA that many hate - stat padding, glory-hunting, flopping, always complaining to the refs. My first comment was about the value of the team play, but I guess my last comments are pure hate, so be it.

The second year guy is averaging 28 points, 10 rebounds and 9 assists. He is playing as the only creator on the team. Usually makes good decisions.
And for some reason we still look at this negatively.

We’re talking about 20 years old dude.
Can someone name me please another player in the second year who was doing the same and having those stats?

We’re going a bit crazy if we don’t understand how unmatched those numbers are...

I don't know how old Oscar was, but it should give you an idea how good Doncic's stats are. And Mavs also have positive record, it's not like they are 0-8.

Read on Twitter

Oscar Robertson started his NBA career at 23 years old. How good will Luka be in 3 years when he’s the same age as Oscar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mr B
RealGM

Post#222 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:34 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:Mavs need another All-Star level player to be more than a fringe playoff team.

Hard for them to add that unless they are willing to take on the huge contract of Love or Paul. They simply don't have the assets to trade for an all-star level player that doesn't come with sizable risk like those two.

I think for this year they'd be thrilled just to get in and get Luka a taste. Then they hope next year KP is a 2nd all-star level player and one or more of the role players steps their game up a bit and maybe they get into the 2nd round in 2021. Then they go into that summer with the flexibility to sign a max guy with Luka playing near an MVP level, KP being a top 5 defensive player and efficient offensive option, and they can attract a 3rd star.

I think they make a trade for a strong rebounding big at the deadline. I agree that they don’t have the assets to trade for Love or Paul (thank God). It they would have the assets to trade for Tristan Thompson. I would much prefer Thompson’s contract too.

Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#223 » by Crives » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:35 pm

Luka is playing great and putting up good numbers...
but he has a 80.6% usage + assist rate... he is doing almost everything on offense. Yes he’s passing, but he is still the one creating most of the open looks.. probably not a lot of fun for Luka’s teammates, I can see why he had no help last night.. Carlisle needs to get the other guys involved with some plays that don’t rely on Luka’s creation.

Also can Luka even keep up this usage + assist rate? Last year his efficiency took a nose dive around Dec/Jan, it’s got to be tough on the body to play like this...
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,346

Post#224 » by Texas Chuck » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:38 pm

Crives wrote:Luka is playing great and putting up good numbers...
but he has a 80.6% usage + assist rate... he is doing almost everything on offense. Yes he’s passing, but he is still the one creating most of the open looks.. probably not a lot of fun for Luka’s teammates, I can see why he had no help last night.. Carlisle needs to get the other guys involved with some plays that don’t rely on Luka’s creation.

Also can Luka even keep up this usage + assist rate? Last year his efficiency took a nose dive around Dec/Jan, it’s got to be tough on the body to play like this...

Rick's going to have to put Barea into the rotation if they want another creator because the roster doesn't have anyone else. Brunson/Delon simply aren't that type of point guard at this point.

I agree he needs help, but clearly Rick is fine with this because Barea's only gotten burn in one game.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
reflex35
Rookie
And1: 672

Post#225 » by reflex35 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:42 pm

Mr B wrote:
Archx wrote:
reflex35 wrote:
The second year guy is averaging 28 points, 10 rebounds and 9 assists. He is playing as the only creator on the team. Usually makes good decisions.
And for some reason we still look at this negatively.

We’re talking about 20 years old dude.
Can someone name me please another player in the second year who was doing the same and having those stats?

We’re going a bit crazy if we don’t understand how unmatched those numbers are...

I don't know how old Oscar was, but it should give you an idea how good Doncic's stats are. And Mavs also have positive record, it's not like they are 0-8.

Read on Twitter

Oscar Robertson started his NBA career at 23 years old. How good will Luka be in 3 years when he’s the same age as Oscar?

Yes, I've just googled info about Oscar. This is a great stat.

We should all put everything into perspective.
If before the last years draft someone told you that Doncic in the beginning of the second year will be averaging 28,10 & 9 you would call that person crazy.
We would probably be happy with something like 16, 6 & 5 and think how good of player Luka can become. And now we almost have those numbers doubled and historic and some people here are still "unhappy".

As if Doncic does not play for the team?
Well - he does. I watched 3 Mavs games this year (the last one yesterday) and Luka almost in all the cases makes the right decision.

He knows when to dribble, when to pass, when to score.
There are no ideal players but just watching the game you can trust him to make a good read most of the time.

Now of course from time to time he throws fancy stepbacks threes. And he misses more than he wants himself. But he needs to do that to be a threat that he could drive to the basket when needed.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#226 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:46 pm

The main reason for the dive in his efficiency is because a good portion of his team got traded away.

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#227 » by Bob8 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:48 pm

I don’t know, we’re talking like Mavs are contenders this year. They’re not, the vast majority of playes won’t even be here in few years time, when they might try to win something. This year is basically development for Luka and Kp. If they by accident, I don’t believe, made the playoffs, even better. But world won’t fall apart, if they don’t. Nba is stars driven league. You need superstar and superstars are not born by being shy. Luka looks like the right material to be one.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 483

Post#228 » by Stribor » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:51 pm

Mr B wrote:
Stribor wrote:I believe his coach is actually direct him to play hero-ball as a part of learning. More situations in which your shoot matter will help player relax in the future such situations. He is still developing and his individual growth trumping the team success at this moment makes sense. If they get close to playoffs and if in the key games he still has a dubious shot selection - then it is a time to get worried. Beginning of the season for team which is not projected to be contender this year is a time when you need let players develop individually.

For instance I am afraid that my sixers decided to be contenders to early which hurt developing of Ben (and even perhaps Fultz).

That’s an interesting theory. I won’t say it’s wrong. Carlisle has always been great at developing young guards and working with PG’s who have a high IQ.

One thing I know that Luka needs to develop is the ability to slow the game down. Jason Kidd was a master at this. Whenever the game would get “Helter Skelter” Jason Kidd had a way of taking over the game by slowing it down. He’d pull the ball back and run a couple of set plays to settle everyone down. Luka had the opportunity to do this twice in the game last night and failed to do so. The first chance he took the ill advised 3pt shot, the second time he turned the ball over after driving the baseline with nowhere to pass the ball. His BBIQ is so high though that I have no doubt he will learn this over the next couple of years.

Well one corollary of this theory is that this thread is wrong or at least that brains in Dallas do not think it is time to go for success this year. In principle with young players I believe in natural development. We had a good success with Joel and after a bunch of **** years everyone wanted instant success in the title charge. I am convinced that it turned the clock to much to advance and now we have a very good team close to great, but not really great precisely because our core has baby ills that came with development aimed to fit team success around them and not really developing them to have even better core in the future.
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,064

Post#229 » by RHODEY » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:52 pm

Swish1906 wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Or maybe the Mavs are overrated. Outside of KP and Luka they are underwhelming to me. Conversely the knicks depth is underrated.

Mavs bench was 3rd best in scoring before the game...so thats that regarding overrated...

Ok..so who's your 3rd scorer?
THJ? :lol: :lol:
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,309

Post#230 » by dakomish23 » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:53 pm

Powell has got to be sent to the bench. Kleber seems like such a better fit with the starters
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
RHODEY
RealGM

Post#231 » by RHODEY » Sat Nov 9, 2019 6:56 pm

mcmurphy wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:Watching the Knicks game tonight (Knicks up 4 at the break) and it reminds me a lot of the Magic game.

As good and skilled as the Mavs are, they are susceptible to being "punked" by teams at times. Dallas could use another athlete with size (someone like Morris or Randle or Portis) who also has a tough-guy mentality. The Mavs could use a bit more goon to them.

They don't have that, and sometimes it lets outmatched-in-skill teams feel very comfortable playing the Mavs. I'm not dissing the Magic or the Knicks here, either. This is a Mavs issue. The Magic and Knicks are doing what they should do in the situation.

Basically, the Mavs need to get a little bit tougher. Especially on defense. Teams are going to come at them, challenge them, and they have to be ready for that.

Still a work in progress, both in terms of mentality and personnel.

Or maybe the Mavs are overrated. Outside of KP and Luka they are underwhelming to me. Conversely the knicks depth is underrated.

... or maybe is enough to shot for the Knicks in this way to become unbeatable...
Knicks are 10-0 in the last 10 seasons when shot >50% 3P and 3PA > 30...

Good luck.

Good luck
Mr B
RealGM

Post#232 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:01 pm

reflex35 wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Archx wrote:

Read on Twitter

Yes, I've just googled info about Oscar. This is a great stat.

We should all put everything into perspective.
If before the last years draft someone told you that Doncic in the beginning of the second year will be averaging 28,10 & 9 you would call that person crazy.
We would probably be happy with something like 16, 6 & 5 and think how good of player Luka can become. And now we almost have those numbers doubled and historic and some people here are still "unhappy".

As if Doncic does not play for the team?
Well - he does. I watched 3 Mavs games this year (the last one yesterday) and Luka almost in all the cases makes the right decision.

He knows when to dribble, when to pass, when to score.
There are no ideal players but just watching the game you can trust him to make a good read most of the time.

Now of course from time to time he throws fancy stepbacks threes. And he misses more than he wants himself. But he needs to do that to be a threat that he could drive to the basket when needed.

Exactly, you have to keep things in perspective. He’s only 20 and only in his 2nd year. He’s not a finished product at all, not even close. Mavs fans can sit back and enjoy watching this kid develop. We’re in for quite a show over the next decade or two.

mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,843

Post#233 » by mcmurphy » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:13 pm

RHODEY wrote:
mcmurphy wrote:
RHODEY wrote:Or maybe the Mavs are overrated. Outside of KP and Luka they are underwhelming to me. Conversely the knicks depth is underrated.

... or maybe is enough to shot for the Knicks in this way to become unbeatable...

Good luck.

Good luck

I'm sure you have understand the concept...
If you prefere to speak in Italian...
NotMyKawhi
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,020

Post#234 » by NotMyKawhi » Sat Nov 9, 2019 7:16 pm

They really only have 2 good players,

Dwright is decent as well

No big wins, just lost to the knicks, Luka has been playing Great. It's not like anyone is playing bad expect KP idk they need more.
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter
And1: 2,445

Post#235 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:26 pm

NotMyKawhi wrote:They really only have 2 good players,

Dwright is decent as well

No big wins, just lost to the knicks, Luka has been playing Great. It's not like anyone is playing bad expect KP idk they need more.

Winning at Denver isn't a big win? :-?
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter
And1: 2,445

Post#236 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:40 pm

Stannis wrote:It feels great playing against a guy like Tim Hardaway Jr., tbh

It's great not having DSJ as your future PG.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#237 » by Mr B » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:50 pm

TheBonzaiEffect wrote:
Stannis wrote:It feels great playing against a guy like Tim Hardaway Jr., tbh

It's great not having DSJ as your future PG.

It feels good not having DSJ and Julius Randle as the future of your franchise. It also feels good not have Dolan running my favorite team.

RHODEY
RealGM

Post#238 » by RHODEY » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:55 pm

mcmurphy wrote:
RHODEY wrote:
mcmurphy wrote:

Good luck.

Good luck

LukaV
Senior
And1: 687

Post#239 » by LukaV » Sat Nov 9, 2019 8:59 pm

Let's not discuss the Mavs vs. Knicks, this thread isn't about the Knicks.

The Mavs may get into the playoffs, but they'll need significant improvements to become a consistent playoff team. Whether that happens from within due to players' growth or through rosters changes remains to be seen.
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#240 » by leolozon » Sat Nov 9, 2019 9:08 pm

RHODEY wrote:
mcmurphy wrote:
RHODEY wrote:

Good luck

If you don’t understand what the guy is saying or that English isn’t his first language, then maybe he’s not the one with the problem.

Just be nice. English isn’t my first language and this forum helped me a lot.

Return to The General Board