Mavs looking legit

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Will the Mavs make the 2020 playoffs?

Yes, Mavs will make the playoffs
68%
No, Mavs will not make the playoffs
15%
I'm not sure if the Mavs will make the playoffs
17%

Total votes: 356

Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,631

Re: Mavs looking legit 

Post#281 » by Bob8 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:48 am

Perseus1966 wrote:Asists in nba is a joke,you give the ball to the player next to you and scores a 3 pt .
Last night i was watching Luka take the vall dribble dribble hide and seek Dribble no shot pass.he has a huge time of ball posesion

That’s exactly the same in Europe. Every 3 pointer without a dribble is an assist there too.

You should read stats before talking, his usage was “just” 27.8% yesterday, Curry had 26.2%. And Curry’s numeric and advanced stats were all much worse than Luka’s yesterday. But I’m sure Curry looked better to you.
Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Post#282 » by Perseus1966 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:51 am

I don't know would you trade luka for a 28 year curry?
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,631

Post#283 » by Bob8 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:56 am

Perseus1966 wrote:I don't know would you trade luka for a 28 year curry?

I give in.
J_T
Veteran
And1: 1,843

Post#284 » by J_T » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:58 am

Guys, Perseus doesn't know much about basketball, don't take him seriously. He thinks that because he "watches" games his opinions are valid. But we all know that most people are completely clueless about sport they are watching and their opinions are hilarious. I would say that 90% of people watching any sport are completely clueless. With the remaining 10% you can then have various levels of understanding. The 90% of the clueless ones are usually harmless, because they follow the crowd, like sheep. But some of them start barking, using the good old "I watched the game" argument, which in their eyes should be "case closed" point. They don't seem to understand that people read their argument and based on how it's presented, the entirety of person's credibility can be discarded. Then their opinion is worthless.
Perseus1966
Veteran

Post#285 » by Perseus1966 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:59 am

At least you can admit that if mavs dont make play offs will be major failure
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 3,964

Post#286 » by zonedefense » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:01 am

Perseus1966 wrote:Probably not but i watched 2 games last nights and against lakers and insaid that he monopolizes offence and make critical turnovers ,his statline is good but the tean is onesided when he plays ,if he gets the shots like today (lay upnsnd 2 3pts ) is ok when he doesnt ,problem ,and i say again its Mavs team not Luka and friends.
Dontnget me wrong but the only decent win is over nuggets and was bad in that game

He leads the league in made passes. Is second in received passes, assists and potential assists. Thankfully we have tracking numbers to refute claims like this. He has a high usage rate but so have other offensive stars. He also leads the league in touches and time of possession. But he isn´t among the top 10 in average second per touch or dribbles per touch. He moves the ball and gets it back.
What you are trying to describe is a Harden or Westbrook like ball dominance. That´s not how Luka is playing.
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#287 » by darmani » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:11 am

zonedefense wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:Probably not but i watched 2 games last nights and against lakers and insaid that he monopolizes offence and make critical turnovers ,his statline is good but the tean is onesided when he plays ,if he gets the shots like today (lay upnsnd 2 3pts ) is ok when he doesnt ,problem ,and i say again its Mavs team not Luka and friends.
Dontnget me wrong but the only decent win is over nuggets and was bad in that game

He leads the league in made passes. Is second in received passes, assists and potential assists. Thankfully we have tracking numbers to refute claims like this. He has a high usage rate but so have other offensive stars. He also leads the league in touches and time of possession. But he isn´t among the top 10 in average second per touch or dribbles per touch. He moves the ball and gets it back.
What you are trying to describe is a Harden or Westbrook like ball dominance. That´s not how Luka is playing.

This is exactly how Doncic is playing (and I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing). He is one of the most, if not the most, ball dominant players in the league.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
LukaV
Senior
And1: 687

Post#288 » by LukaV » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:28 am

This doesn't seem to merit its own thread, so I'm posting it here -> Luka gets "gently slapped" by Mavs assistant coach, does not look amused - .
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,127

Post#289 » by Archx » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:36 am

Gooner wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:I didnt say his is bad i said he must play more for the team less for himself

I don't see a problem there, Doncic show is all they have right now. But once the Mavs get better, Doncic will have to sacrificie some of his stats, even as he gets older and better overall.

Are you two on a mission to make Mavs or Luka look bad or something? Reading couple of statements from both of you and i can't believe what you two are saying.

Perseus is everywhere making such ridiculous claims, that even people coming in with stats can't convince him otherwise. So don't know, maybe you guys are just trolling. There is no reasonable discussions to have with you two.

What stats does he need to sacrifice for them to be better? What did LBJ sacrifice in his career for his team to get better? Did he have to score less? Assist less? Rebound less? If he sacrifices anything they will get worse, simple as that, it's how he plays. If he stops passing, then what? You two will cry how selfish he is, oh wait, Perseus is already saying that. My god, this forum does have some gems who post just to post. Or post just to troll, don't know exactly.
zonedefense
Analyst

Post#290 » by zonedefense » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 am

darmani wrote:
zonedefense wrote:

This is exactly how Doncic is playing (and I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing). He is one of the most, if not the most, ball dominant players in the league.

Again...look up the numbers. Yes he is ball dominant but compared to both mentioned guys he takes less dribbles and seconds per touch. He also averages far more passes. Still leads the league in overall time of possession because he gets the ball back at some point.
Usual Mavs possession features multiple attempts to create offense with motion/pick and roll offense. Luka brings the ball up the court. Tries to create in the pick and roll. If the defense prevents it he passes up the ball. Someone else tries to create of the dribble and fails miserably. Luka gets the ball back with 10s on the clock.
People can critize him for his shot selection and I agree that he takes to many step back 3s in late shot clock situations but he isn´t nearly as ball dominant as other current superstars.
It´s crazy that in a world where we have data for nearly everything people still try to fight it in favor of some biased opinion or hot take.

For comparisation: passes per game vs usage %

Luka 70 / 32%
Westbrook 48 / 28%
Harden 35 / 40%
Dundalis
Senior
And1: 543

Post#291 » by Dundalis » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:43 am

Perseus1966 wrote:At least you can admit that if mavs dont make play offs will be major failure

Yep, we can admit if the Mavs don't make the playoffs it will be a major failure despite no one in the media expecting the Mavs to even make the playoffs. I'm trying to figure out if you are trying to be thick for trolling purposes or not.
Yuri36
Starter
And1: 1,510

Post#292 » by Yuri36 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:18 pm

LukaV wrote:This doesn't seem to merit its own thread, so I'm posting it here -> Luka gets "gently slapped" by Mavs assistant coach, does not look amused - .

Luka to Lakers or Warriors then? :lol:
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,788

Post#293 » by Swish1906 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:23 pm

Mosley to the Knicks confirmed
darmani
Starter
And1: 2,731

Post#294 » by darmani » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:21 pm

zonedefense wrote:
darmani wrote:
zonedefense wrote:

Again...look up the numbers. Yes he is ball dominant but compared to both mentioned guys he takes less dribbles and seconds per touch. He also averages far more passes. Still leads the league in overall time of possession because he gets the ball back at some point.
Usual Mavs possession features multiple attempts to create offense with motion/pick and roll offense. Luka brings the ball up the court. Tries to create in the pick and roll. If the defense prevents it he passes up the ball. Someone else tries to create of the dribble and fails miserably. Luka gets the ball back with 10s on the clock.
People can critize him for his shot selection and I agree that he takes to many step back 3s in late shot clock situations but he isn´t nearly as ball dominant as other current superstars.
It´s crazy that in a world where we have data for nearly everything people still try to fight it in favor of some biased opinion or hot take.

Luka 70 / 32%
Westbrook 48 / 28%
Harden 35 / 40%

LO **** L
There's plenty of stats that show that Doncic is extremely ball dominant. Just because on average his touches are 0.2s shorter than Harden's, it doesn't make him any less of a ball dominant player than the Beard.

Touches:
Doncic 102.4 (1st) - the most since the league started tracking this stat
LeBron - 99.6 (2nd)
Harden - 84.3 (8th)
Westbrook 75.1 (20th)

Time of possession:
Doncic - 9.3 (1st)
LeBron - 8.4 (3rd)
Harden - 8.2 (4th)
Westbrook - 5.4 (22nd)

Sec per touch:
Harden - 5.83 (5th)
Doncic - 5.45 (9th)
LeBron - 5.04 (18th)
Westbrook 4.29 (45th)

Dribbles per touch:
Harden 5.59 (4th)
Doncic 4.94 (15th)
LeBron 4.06 (41st)
Westbrook 4.03 (42nd)

Points per touch:
Harden 0.440 (16th)
Westbrook 0.285 (128th)
Doncic 0.270 (150th)
LeBron 0.261 (162nd)

Assists per touch:
LeBron 0.105
Westbrook 0.105
Harden 0.097
Doncic 0.089

Again, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing that Doncic has the ball in his hands so much. All top guards and wings in the league play on the ball a lot. It's just ridiculous to say that it's a hot take to call him "ball dominant" and to put him in the same category as Harden and Westbrook when it comes to playing style.
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Promezclan
Starter
And1: 948

Post#295 » by Promezclan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:29 pm

Perseus1966 wrote:
wolfram wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:i am not a hater ,just saying what i see and yes you can have great stats (not so great 22 shots for 24 points and play bad)

and the therad is Mavs looking great not Lukas friends loooking legit.

Clean your glasses. He had 16 shots on 56% shooting.

yes you are right ia dded the 3pts to fg but doesnt change that when he was out the team played better.

Man, if it weren't for old Luka holding them back to a 6-3 record, imagine how far Tim Hardaway Jr. would lead them.
zonedefense
Analyst

Post#296 » by zonedefense » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:31 pm

darmani wrote:
zonedefense wrote:
darmani wrote:This is exactly how Doncic is playing (and I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing). He is one of the most, if not the most, ball dominant players in the league.

Luka 70 / 32%
Westbrook 48 / 28%
Harden 35 / 40%

LO **** L
There's plenty of stats that show that Doncic is extremely ball dominant. Just because on average his touches are 0.2s shorter than Harden's, it doesn't make him any less of a ball dominant player than the Beard.

Touches:
Doncic 102.4 (1st) - the most since the league started tracking this stat
LeBron - 99.6 (2nd)
Harden - 84.3 (8th)
Westbrook 75.1 (20th)

Time of possession:
Doncic - 9.3 (1st)
LeBron - 8.4 (3rd)
Harden - 8.2 (4th)
Westbrook - 5.4 (22nd)

Sec per touch:
Harden - 5.83 (5th)
Doncic - 5.45 (9th)
LeBron - 5.04 (18th)
Westbrook 4.29 (45th)

Dribbles per touch:
Harden 5.59 (4th)
Doncic 4.94 (15th)
LeBron 4.06 (41st)
Westbrook 4.03 (42nd)

Points per touch:
Harden 0.440 (16th)
Westbrook 0.285 (128th)
Doncic 0.270 (150th)
LeBron 0.261 (162nd)

Assists per touch:
LeBron 0.105
Westbrook 0.105
Harden 0.097
Doncic 0.089

Again, I'm not saying that it's a bad thing that Doncic has the ball in his hands so much. All top guards and wings in the league play on the ball a lot. It's just ridiculous to say that it's a hot take to call him "ball dominant" and to put him in the same category as Harden and Westbrook when it comes to playing style.

You realize that I mentioned all of those numbers as well but still fail to understand what they mean. Why is Luka averaging less assists per touch or less points per touch even though he is a more efficient scorer this season? Because he moves the ball. That´s also why he leads the league in passing. A lot more similar to LeBron than Harden or Westbrook. Yes he is a high usage player that gets a lot of touches but he is not dribbling the ball for 20s.
The data actually tells you exactly that. Leads the league in touches and time of possession but he is not holding the ball as long as Harden, Irving, Giannis or Young when he gets it. That´s also the big difference between him and Harden or Westbrook. Both dominate an entire offensive possession without anyone else touching the ball. Luka gets the ball multiple times during the same possession. That´s not the same.

If you want to compare Luka to anyone the numbers tell you that he is a lot closer to LeBron in terms of usage and touches.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,125

Post#297 » by Mr B » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Perseus1966 wrote:
wolfram wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:i am not a hater ,just saying what i see and yes you can have great stats (not so great 22 shots for 24 points and play bad)

and the therad is Mavs looking great not Lukas friends loooking legit.

Clean your glasses. He had 16 shots on 56% shooting.

yes you are right ia dded the 3pts to fg but doesnt change that when he was out the team played better.

Dude you are living on some other planet. You are literally the only that sees this team is better without Luka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perseus1966
Veteran

Post#298 » by Perseus1966 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Dundalis wrote:
Perseus1966 wrote:At least you can admit that if mavs dont make play offs will be major failure

Yep, we can admit if the Mavs don't make the playoffs it will be a major failure despite no one in the media expecting the Mavs to even make the playoffs. I'm trying to figure out if you are trying to be thick for trolling purposes or not.

if he such a great player why not make the play offs? the others holding him back?
LukaMagic
Senior
And1: 680

Post#299 » by LukaMagic » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:47 pm

Perseus1966 wrote:
Dundalis wrote:

if he such a great player why not make the play offs? the others holding him back?

It's not like Mavs are in the East, unlike.. Oh, nevermind! :)
zonedefense
Analyst

Post#300 » by zonedefense » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:48 pm

Perseus1966 wrote:
Dundalis wrote:

Because great players have never missed the playoffs in their sophomore season? Poor LeBron.

Return to The General Board