MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: jamaalstar21, -Sammy-, infinite11285, ken6199, Domejandro, bwgood77, Dirk, zimpy27, KingDavid

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
262
61%
James
106
25%
Harden
15
3%
Leonard
2
0%
Doncic
19
4%
Jokic
5
1%
Tatum
6
1%
Davis
3
1%
Butler
3
1%
Siakam/Westbrook
9
2%
 
Total votes: 430

MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,198
And1: 3,276
Joined: Jul 02, 2013

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1321 » by MrPerfect1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:30 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
We can agree to disagree. I don’t agree. The eye test definitely proves it. All the Lakers did on Friday was play him the exact same way the Raptors played him in Games 3-6 last postseason. Completely kills the Bucks’ offensive flow and really makes him struggle. He’s a phenomenal player, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t think he’s the best in the world.


If you want to use 1 Game Sample sizes then what did the eye test say the 1st time Giannis and Lebron matched up this year?


That Giannis put up the game of his career (thus far) from a shooting standpoint going 5-for-8 from distance, and that he won’t do that over the course of a playoff series.


So you agree they played 2x and each game 1 was significantly better than the other.

In the games against the rest of the League this year Giannis has better.

Better vs Rest of League + Equal Head to Head = Better Overall
Young gun 6
Analyst
Posts: 3,022
And1: 4,983
Joined: Dec 23, 2014
     

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1322 » by Young gun 6 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:23 am

So if the regular season ends now and playoffs starts as normal, do we think an MVP will still be announced?
PistolPeteJR
Head Coach
Posts: 7,136
And1: 6,306
Joined: Jun 14, 2017
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1323 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:32 am

MrPerfect1 wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
If you want to use 1 Game Sample sizes then what did the eye test say the 1st time Giannis and Lebron matched up this year?


That Giannis put up the game of his career (thus far) from a shooting standpoint going 5-for-8 from distance, and that he won’t do that over the course of a playoff series.


So you agree they played 2x and each game 1 was significantly better than the other.

In the games against the rest of the League this year Giannis has better.

Better vs Rest of League + Equal Head to Head = Better Overall


Horrendous logic.
Swish1906
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,681
And1: 7,126
Joined: Apr 09, 2019
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1324 » by Swish1906 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:44 am

Just hand the trophy allready to COVID-19
HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 11,291
And1: 12,272
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1325 » by HotRocks34 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:15 pm

Howard Beck: If season is over because of the virus, Giannis is almost assured to be MVP

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2880494-the-nba-made-the-only-move-it-could

If the regular season is indeed over, it ends with the Milwaukee Bucks holding the best record (53-12) in the Eastern Conference and the Los Angeles Lakers (49-14) atop the West. It ends with Bucks star Giannis Antetokounmpo a near lock for a second straight MVP award, denying LeBron James a chance to make a final push.
SweetTouch
RealGM
Posts: 19,672
And1: 2,623
Joined: Mar 29, 2010
Location: Fl

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1326 » by SweetTouch » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:22 pm

Damn Gia gets the mvp
Now for sure he leaving Milwaukee

The nba writers and voters got what they wanted
Stop being so disrespectful.
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,198
And1: 3,276
Joined: Jul 02, 2013

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1327 » by MrPerfect1 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:40 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
That Giannis put up the game of his career (thus far) from a shooting standpoint going 5-for-8 from distance, and that he won’t do that over the course of a playoff series.


So you agree they played 2x and each game 1 was significantly better than the other.

In the games against the rest of the League this year Giannis has better.

Better vs Rest of League + Equal Head to Head = Better Overall


Horrendous logic.


So is your position that Lebron's 2 games against the Bucks were better than Giannis 2 games against the Lakers?

Or

Is your position that Lebrons 60ish Games agsinst the other 28 teams were better than Giannis 60ish Games against the other 28 teams????

I am fascinated to see the evidence for either claim
PistolPeteJR
Head Coach
Posts: 7,136
And1: 6,306
Joined: Jun 14, 2017
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1328 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:23 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
PistolPeteJR wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
So you agree they played 2x and each game 1 was significantly better than the other.

In the games against the rest of the League this year Giannis has better.

Better vs Rest of League + Equal Head to Head = Better Overall


Horrendous logic.


So is your position that Lebron's 2 games against the Bucks were better than Giannis 2 games against the Lakers?

Or

Is your position that Lebrons 60ish Games agsinst the other 28 teams were better than Giannis 60ish Games against the other 28 teams????

I am fascinated to see the evidence for either claim


I’m sure you are. I’m done here because your posts have shown you clearly have no intention to discuss, you just insist on being closed-minded.

I leave you with this: consider that there is much more to the league than the regular season. Consider that there is still the most important basketball of the year to be played (not factoring in Corona).
scrabbarista
General Manager
Posts: 9,368
And1: 6,892
Joined: May 31, 2015
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1329 » by scrabbarista » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:41 am

.
Clippers2020
Junior
Posts: 466
And1: 177
Joined: Feb 10, 2020

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1330 » by Clippers2020 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:42 am

Scary to think how many MVP awards Giannis ends up winning....
Its so easy for him to deliver those mammoth all-around stats, and it appears easy for Milwaukee to win the East each year too....without needing a star-studded roster.
But even if he wins 5 or even 10 MVPs, it won't get him into MJ-territory unless he wins rings.
User avatar
Pennebaker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,170
And1: 4,086
Joined: Nov 02, 2013

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1331 » by Pennebaker » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:15 pm

Young gun 6 wrote:So if the regular season ends now and playoffs starts as normal, do we think an MVP will still be announced?


I think so.

Also All-NBA and All-Defensive, DPOY, COY, SMOY - all of the OYs. Why not? It's just a matter of getting the voters to vote.
Image
Cavsfansince84
General Manager
Posts: 8,734
And1: 6,422
Joined: Jun 13, 2017
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1332 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:56 am

Young gun 6 wrote:So if the regular season ends now and playoffs starts as normal, do we think an MVP will still be announced?


Of course. Even if the playoffs are cancelled I still think they will award an mvp for the rs.
Clippers2020
Junior
Posts: 466
And1: 177
Joined: Feb 10, 2020

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1333 » by Clippers2020 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Even if basketball is not resumed until after the official regular season, I think they should play a week of regular season games just to shake the rust off before playoffs.
Included in that week should be games between teams that haven't met twice yet.
User avatar
Sark
RealGM
Posts: 18,496
And1: 14,715
Joined: Sep 21, 2010
Location: Merry Pills
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1334 » by Sark » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:48 pm

Clippers2020 wrote:Scary to think how many MVP awards Giannis ends up winning....
Its so easy for him to deliver those mammoth all-around stats, and it appears easy for Milwaukee to win the East each year too....without needing a star-studded roster.
But even if he wins 5 or even 10 MVPs, it won't get him into MJ-territory unless he wins rings.



Other guys like Luka, and Zion will be there to get some. Giannis isn't going to win that many.
U of Kentucky JV
Clippers2020
Junior
Posts: 466
And1: 177
Joined: Feb 10, 2020

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1335 » by Clippers2020 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Sark wrote:
Clippers2020 wrote:Scary to think how many MVP awards Giannis ends up winning....
Its so easy for him to deliver those mammoth all-around stats, and it appears easy for Milwaukee to win the East each year too....without needing a star-studded roster.
But even if he wins 5 or even 10 MVPs, it won't get him into MJ-territory unless he wins rings.



Other guys like Luka, and Zion will be there to get some. Giannis isn't going to win that many.

I only say that because Giannis is contender for Defensive Player Of The Year always, whereas the other MVP contenders aren't, so Giannis is the most likely to win MVP every year.....especially if Milwaukee stay #1 each year.
The Pelicans are insanely talented, so Zion's team may end up being #1 in the West a lot, plus Zion has some potential to be at least good at defense....whereas Luka may never have an impact defensively.
User avatar
Pennebaker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,170
And1: 4,086
Joined: Nov 02, 2013

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1336 » by Pennebaker » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 am

Clippers2020 wrote:
Sark wrote:
Clippers2020 wrote:Scary to think how many MVP awards Giannis ends up winning....
Its so easy for him to deliver those mammoth all-around stats, and it appears easy for Milwaukee to win the East each year too....without needing a star-studded roster.
But even if he wins 5 or even 10 MVPs, it won't get him into MJ-territory unless he wins rings.



Other guys like Luka, and Zion will be there to get some. Giannis isn't going to win that many.

I only say that because Giannis is contender for Defensive Player Of The Year always, whereas the other MVP contenders aren't, so Giannis is the most likely to win MVP every year.....especially if Milwaukee stay #1 each year.
The Pelicans are insanely talented, so Zion's team may end up being #1 in the West a lot, plus Zion has some potential to be at least good at defense....whereas Luka may never have an impact defensively.


There is a limit to how many MVPs a guy is allowed to win before voters lose interest. For Giannis it may be 2 or it may be 3. If he doesnt win a title sometime soon then he'll be written off regardless of what he does. He may also be written off if he doesnt expand his game.

There will surely be years where you think Giannis should win and he isnt going to win and some upstart will take the MVP even if it doesnt make any sense to you.
Image
User avatar
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
Posts: 11,875
And1: 16,145
Joined: Jan 05, 2015
Location: Bill O'Brien is GOAT
     

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1337 » by ken6199 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:06 am

Getting ready for the MVP speech...

Read on Twitter
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
User avatar
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,685
And1: 1,551
Joined: Jan 14, 2009
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1338 » by SeniorWalker » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:30 pm

Somebody reach out to Mr. MVP on social media and tell him he needs to be working on that midrange pull up all day. Ain't got nothing but time now. Put a dummy bag up in several spots on the court with LeBron's face taped over them. You gonna need that extra spark considering how that last match up went brah.... Just saying. Wish you the best dude, you can reach that Goat level if you keep pushing but you got a lot to prove.

Wonder how all the top guys are staying in shape anyway. Nike probably ordered LeBron be put into a hyperbolic chamber :lol:
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
User avatar
levon
General Manager
Posts: 9,625
And1: 15,331
Joined: Aug 04, 2017

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1339 » by levon » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:41 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:Somebody reach out to Mr. MVP on social media and tell him he needs to be working on that midrange pull up all day. Ain't got nothing but time now. Put a dummy bag up in several spots on the court with LeBron's face taped over them. You gonna need that extra spark considering how that last match up went brah.... Just saying. Wish you the best dude, you can reach that Goat level if you keep pushing but you got a lot to prove.

Wonder how all the top guys are staying in shape anyway. Nike probably ordered LeBron be put into a hyperbolic chamber :lol:

I wonder if he can even get that shot up against tight coverage. He's slower than most guys to get into that shooting motion because he's insanely long. Durant's been fluid all his life. Ingram is another good comp, but Ingram is also way more fluid than Giannis, and all these guys still get bothered by a small dude bodying them up. You're never going to bother the shot up top so you might as well shrink their space and make them think twice about getting into their shooting motion.

A stable midrange turnaround for Giannis would be the most unguardable shot imaginable. I think he's trying to establish that in the low post early, which spells doom for the rest of the league 5 years down the line.
User avatar
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,685
And1: 1,551
Joined: Jan 14, 2009
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1340 » by SeniorWalker » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:34 am

levon wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:Somebody reach out to Mr. MVP on social media and tell him he needs to be working on that midrange pull up all day. Ain't got nothing but time now. Put a dummy bag up in several spots on the court with LeBron's face taped over them. You gonna need that extra spark considering how that last match up went brah.... Just saying. Wish you the best dude, you can reach that Goat level if you keep pushing but you got a lot to prove.

Wonder how all the top guys are staying in shape anyway. Nike probably ordered LeBron be put into a hyperbolic chamber :lol:

I wonder if he can even get that shot up against tight coverage. He's slower than most guys to get into that shooting motion because he's insanely long. Durant's been fluid all his life. Ingram is another good comp, but Ingram is also way more fluid than Giannis, and all these guys still get bothered by a small dude bodying them up. You're never going to bother the shot up top so you might as well shrink their space and make them think twice about getting into their shooting motion.

A stable midrange turnaround for Giannis would be the most unguardable shot imaginable. I think he's trying to establish that in the low post early, which spells doom for the rest of the league 5 years down the line.

Without a doubt Giannis is getting better. His turnaround jumper, all things considered, looks much better than expected for someone who was not a developed shooter. He needs to maintain confidence and get to this spots every game. He even hit one over LeBron in that last game, he's got a clear length advantage over him. For stronger defenders I think this is the answer for him. For guys like AD and Durant, he can overpower them or drive past them, already seen him do it.

No doubt in my mind he will be the best in the league the next 5 years as long as he stays healthy. But he needs to develop this last tool to take that next leap.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."

Return to The General Board