MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: infinite11285, GeorgeMarcus, BombsquadSammy, ken6199, Domejandro, KingDavid, bwgood77, Dirk, jamaalstar21, zimpy27

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
249
61%
James
104
26%
Harden
12
3%
Leonard
2
0%
Doncic
15
4%
Jokic
5
1%
Tatum
5
1%
Davis
3
1%
Butler
3
1%
Siakam/Westbrook
8
2%
 
Total votes: 406

Packbuckman
Junior
Posts: 449
And1: 186
Joined: Oct 02, 2019
     

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1441 » by Packbuckman » Sat Aug 1, 2020 2:57 pm

Kubbas wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:
He almost snapped his leg


Giannis was on the sidelines jumping around the next game ha was fine dude. That’s me thing about Giannis he’s taken some bad falls and landed on ankles before and you think he got really hurt but he gets up and stays in the game. They held him out for only for precautionary reasons he wanted to play. Giannis is easily the MVP!

just stop it dude

Bud said that he would miss weeks for sure if the nba would continue

look it up, youre just plain wrong


You literally took him seriously lmfao
I Watched the next games and Giannis was there jumping up and down cheering for his teammates he was fine dude lol
User avatar
Magic Giannison
RealGM
Posts: 22,868
And1: 24,772
Joined: Aug 08, 2014
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1442 » by Magic Giannison » Sat Aug 1, 2020 5:07 pm

Packbuckman wrote:
Kubbas wrote:
Packbuckman wrote:
Giannis was on the sidelines jumping around the next game ha was fine dude. That’s me thing about Giannis he’s taken some bad falls and landed on ankles before and you think he got really hurt but he gets up and stays in the game. They held him out for only for precautionary reasons he wanted to play. Giannis is easily the MVP!

just stop it dude

Bud said that he would miss weeks for sure if the nba would continue

look it up, youre just plain wrong


You literally took him seriously lmfao
I Watched the next games and Giannis was there jumping up and down cheering for his teammates he was fine dude lol

There we literally reports of Giannis practicing and getting ready for the next game....
Prez wrote:Bled can have his way with me
HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 10,031
And1: 10,350
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1443 » by HotRocks34 » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:07 am

Giannis currently has a 31.82 PER for the season, with 7 games left to play. That matches Wilt for the best PER season in NBA history.

Hoping Giannis can get the record. Perhaps the first 32 PER season in league history?
User avatar
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - Mavericks and NBA TnT Forum
Posts: 52,815
And1: 40,911
Joined: May 19, 2012
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1444 » by Texas Chuck » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:26 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:Giannis currently has a 31.82 PER for the season, with 7 games left to play. That matches Wilt for the best PER season in NBA history.

Hoping Giannis can get the record. Perhaps the first 32 PER season in league history?



Imagine the Bucks having nothing left to play for after tonight will prevent him from setting a new mark. Incredible season regardless.
Black Lives Matter
Suprasc1
Senior
Posts: 674
And1: 246
Joined: Mar 13, 2020

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1445 » by Suprasc1 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:25 am

Giannis can't win you a game without a layup.

LeBron is the MVP
Statlanta
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,425
And1: 3,755
Joined: Mar 06, 2016

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1446 » by Statlanta » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:54 am

Suprasc1 wrote:Giannis can't win you a game without a layup.

LeBron is the MVP


LeBron couldn't do the same until 2017.

James Harden is the actual MVP.
Dwyane Wade should have never got FTs at the end of the 2006 NBA Finals Game 5
smythep
Ballboy
Posts: 19
And1: 4
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1447 » by smythep » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:42 pm

Statlanta wrote:
Suprasc1 wrote:Giannis can't win you a game without a layup.

LeBron is the MVP


LeBron couldn't do the same until 2017.

James Harden is the actual MVP.

It's Giannis: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KMzwRcilLDej0BWl7eYE_OYC9Tx9olI_Ptn-nHjKfpQ/edit#gid=337003795

First place votes:
Giannis - 29
Lebron - 3
Harden - 0
User avatar
SeniorWalker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,246
And1: 1,042
Joined: Jan 14, 2009
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1448 » by SeniorWalker » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:18 pm

Giannis is clearly the MVP and any other talk is very foolish. Nobody else is close.

However, it has become clearer than ever to me that he is not the best player in the NBA. I really have very high hopes for him and as a 25 year old not yet in his prime, he should develop his game to becoming the undisputed best player of his time. But right now he is unreliable at the end of games. His midrange game is quite weak and the Bucks as a result have to try to play through Middleton and company to generate offense against tight half court defenses. That is not going to fly deep in the playoffs. Unfortunately it puts a ceiling on what we can expect from this team. The bucks will probably not win the title this year and it possible they may not come out of the east (I do think they will but its not a given like it should be from a team playing at a historically great level). It will be no one else's fault but Giannis because his weakness is what allows the team offense to be shut down late game when they just need someone to get an easy basket. Most of the other elite teams have this in LeBron, Embiid, Kawhi, etc.

I really hope after they go down that he doesn't blame his teammates and leave Milwaukee because it is clear to me that his weakness is what is holding back that team from winning a title, depsite being a massively impactful two way player. Hate to say it but its true. If he had even a decent midrange game even last year the Bucks probably win the title. Until he gets one, he won't win as "the guy".

Bucks are making the same mistake the Rockets did a few years ago, not being able to adapt when teams counter their gameplay, or just refusing to and Giannis limitations are a big part of it.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
User avatar
Ron Swanson
RealGM
Posts: 15,012
And1: 10,493
Joined: May 15, 2013

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1449 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:31 pm

Lebron still doesn't have a reliable mid-range game or FT efficiency. Where were the people suggesting he wasn't the undisputed best player for a 3-4 year stretch before he won his first title?
scrabbarista
Head Coach
Posts: 6,284
And1: 4,015
Joined: May 31, 2015

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1450 » by scrabbarista » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:41 pm

Here's what my formula has before the games start today. I didn't do the fancy fonts and stuff, because I want to turn on the Raptors game.

1. Antetokounmpo - 24.5
2. Harden - 17.9
3. James - 17.1
4. Leonard - 15.9
5. Tatum - 15.0

6. Gobert - 14.5
7. Davis - 14.3
8. Jokic - 14.3
9. Lillard - 14.3
10. Paul - 13.6

11. Butler - 12.9
HotRocks34
RealGM
Posts: 10,031
And1: 10,350
Joined: Jun 23, 2007

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1451 » by HotRocks34 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:27 pm

HotRocks34 wrote:Giannis currently has a 31.82 PER for the season, with 7 games left to play. That matches Wilt for the best PER season in NBA history.

Hoping Giannis can get the record. Perhaps the first 32 PER season in league history?



Giannis has a 32.0 PER as of today (6 games left) according to BBREF, following his performance against the Rockets:
https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/per_season.html

6 more games to see if he can become the first person in NBA history to have a 32+ PER season.
vagelis
Rookie
Posts: 1,056
And1: 367
Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1452 » by vagelis » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:12 pm

Sometimes I wonder what is offensive and what is defensive foul watching Antetokounmpo playing in NBA. He does so many offensive fouls and goes to the line. The defender has no chance to guard him if he gets pushed with arms and elbows and gets a defensive foul.
Traveling that are not called is also an issue. But this happens a lot in NBA for specific players.
Referees treat him good for sure.

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter






User avatar
Magic Giannison
RealGM
Posts: 22,868
And1: 24,772
Joined: Aug 08, 2014
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1453 » by Magic Giannison » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:36 am

According to like 1/3rd of the votes we got in Giannis is by far the MVP and DPOY
Prez wrote:Bled can have his way with me
RB34
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,623
And1: 5,877
Joined: Nov 14, 2017
     

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1454 » by RB34 » Tue Aug 4, 2020 5:50 am

AD for Lakers MVP?
LesGrossman
Analyst
Posts: 3,150
And1: 1,681
Joined: Mar 24, 2014
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1455 » by LesGrossman » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:15 pm

LeBron "the Choker" James "deserved" more than four MVPs? For what?

WHat about Kobe, did he maybe deserve more than one MVP? That is the greatest joke in recent Basketball history. Man has five titles as the key guy. What about Dirk? Timmy? LeBron with his showboating but choking when it matters should be more than happy with four MVP's imho.
User avatar
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
Posts: 14,966
And1: 3,062
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Section 212 - Raising havoc in Squad 6

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1456 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Aug 4, 2020 3:07 pm

vagelis wrote:Sometimes I wonder what is offensive and what is defensive foul watching Antetokounmpo playing in NBA. He does so many offensive fouls and goes to the line. The defender has no chance to guard him if he gets pushed with arms and elbows and gets a defensive foul.
Traveling that are not called is also an issue. But this happens a lot in NBA for specific players.
Referees treat him good for sure.

The real question is do you apply the same rule you apply to Giannis as other players? Other players are allowed that extra step but the difference with Giannis is he is so long that that extra step is like 8 feet if he is jumping off. Same question for him attacking the rim? Does he get punished because when a defender slaps his arm, it does nothing or he is so strong that the force knocks over a little player whereas if the roles were reversed Giannis wouldn't fall back and it wouldn't be a charge?

It's a serious question. Do you think rules should be applied differently to Giannis because it is almost an unfair advantage?

Shaq/Lebron have the same problem where yeah they get away with stuff, but they also get hacked more than most players.
vagelis
Rookie
Posts: 1,056
And1: 367
Joined: Jan 04, 2015

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1457 » by vagelis » Tue Aug 4, 2020 7:47 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
vagelis wrote:Sometimes I wonder what is offensive and what is defensive foul watching Antetokounmpo playing in NBA. He does so many offensive fouls and goes to the line. The defender has no chance to guard him if he gets pushed with arms and elbows and gets a defensive foul.
Traveling that are not called is also an issue. But this happens a lot in NBA for specific players.
Referees treat him good for sure.

The real question is do you apply the same rule you apply to Giannis as other players? Other players are allowed that extra step but the difference with Giannis is he is so long that that extra step is like 8 feet if he is jumping off. Same question for him attacking the rim? Does he get punished because when a defender slaps his arm, it does nothing or he is so strong that the force knocks over a little player whereas if the roles were reversed Giannis wouldn't fall back and it wouldn't be a charge?

It's a serious question. Do you think rules should be applied differently to Giannis because it is almost an unfair advantage?

Shaq/Lebron have the same problem where yeah they get away with stuff, but they also get hacked more than most players.


I think the rules must be the same for all players. When a player travels it has to be called. The extra step is traveling and it is not allowed to most of the players except some league favorites.
As for the offensive fouls I think in most of the cases Antetokounmpo is the one who uses his arms to attack the rim not the defenders. I think it is illegal to push defenders with arms and elbows and for sure you cannot go to the line after pushing a defender.
Shaqeel used his body not his arms. And if I remember well, the defenders were allowed to push back Shaq without a defensive foul to be called.
User avatar
SeniorWalker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,246
And1: 1,042
Joined: Jan 14, 2009
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1458 » by SeniorWalker » Tue Aug 4, 2020 11:05 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Lebron still doesn't have a reliable mid-range game or FT efficiency. Where were the people suggesting he wasn't the undisputed best player for a 3-4 year stretch before he won his first title?

LeBron doesnt have a great jumper but he does have a serviceable one. Gianni on the other hand not only has neither, he doesnt yet have the confidence to take the shot at the end of games. I watch him consistently and he shies away from the ball because of this.

Please know, i very much like the kid and think he has an insane ceiling, possibly even the goat ceiling above LeBron (and MJ) so no hate here whatsoever. Just calling it as i see it.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
User avatar
Sgt Major
Starter
Posts: 2,223
And1: 3,932
Joined: Nov 09, 2018
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1459 » by Sgt Major » Wed Aug 5, 2020 10:26 am

Image


Does anyone have this type of charts covering other teams?
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
User avatar
AussieBuck
RealGM
Posts: 36,669
And1: 12,417
Joined: May 10, 2006
Location: saveourbucks.com
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#1460 » by AussieBuck » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:29 am

Sgt Major wrote:Image


Does anyone have this type of charts covering other teams?

That's what the Giannis one looked like last season, maybe Middleton is a separated from the pack this season.
Gooner wrote:
Saint Lazarus wrote:Giannis wouldn't even be an all-star if refs accurately called his travels and offensive fouls



Bruno Caboclo would be an all star if he played under Giannis "rules".

Return to The General Board