MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
61%
James
25%
Harden
3%
Leonard
0%
Doncic
4%
Jokic
1%
Tatum
1%
Davis
1%
Butler
1%
Siakam/Westbrook
2%

Total votes: 430

The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect
And1: 300

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#601 » by The Lazy Potato » Tue Feb 4, 2020 8:56 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:
antonac wrote:It's Antetokounmpo for me, he has absolutely no holes in his case.

Lebron and AD are playing next to each other and you can't really say who has been better, and they haven't won as much.

Doncic has a few too many missed games now, mavs haven't won enough, also, and I say this as a massive Doncic fan, I think perhaps he needs to learn to when to defer a bit more. Peek doncic will have less impressive numbers while being more impactful imo.

Harden has had some truly diabolical games lately, also, the MVP does still go to a vote, and even if the people voting will try and be partisan his play style is going to lose him some support.

Jokic has played himself into contention and for me has locked up the all nba center spot again, but the nuggets aren't dominating like the bucks, his early season slow start should probably count against him a bit considering Giannis has been hot from game 1.

I just can't see any reason you'd say any of those guys has had a better season than giannis.

Well, take away Giannis 2nd best,3rd best and 4th best player and he’d have to deal with what Jokic is dealing with right now. In case people don’t know, it’s hard to win when three starters go down.

Giannis has a couple of things that make his case not so airtight. The team plays just as good when he isn’t on the court...his free throws are pathetic...his rebounding is so clearly boosted by Brook Lopez being a boss boxer-outer. The Bucks have hardly played any games against the top teams in the East.

Denver is 4 games back from LA Lakers. I’ve said this a ton of times but I’ll say it again. If Denver wins 60+ and get the beat record in the west, Jokic will win mvp because he has less help than anyone right now.

I think you are unfair with Giannis. Giannis always was great rebounder and a scorer, he was average 11 rebounds 2 years ago before Brook came to the team and 25 points per game. He just a guy that keep getting better every year and you should show more respect to him, he earned that. Also don't forget that he is playing barely 30 minutes per game, with amazing efficiency that we have never seen before in the history of the NBA..
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#602 » by HurricaneKid » Tue Feb 4, 2020 12:35 pm

Giannis is now -220 to win. That's a pretty amazing lead before the all-star break.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,171

Post#603 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:47 pm

still Giannis.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
NirvanaFC
Veteran
And1: 2,600

Post#604 » by NirvanaFC » Tue Feb 4, 2020 11:44 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:Giannis is now -220 to win. That's a pretty amazing lead before the all-star break.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

It translates to a 68.8% probability. You think Giannis's chance is less than that?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#605 » by zimpy27 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 2:58 am

Giannis got this locked in for this season.

At this age/season LeBron played his last with the Cavs before going to Miami. Probably had 3 more years of the athletic prime just for comparison.

Giannis could have 4 MVPs when all said and done.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Post#606 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Wed Feb 5, 2020 3:15 am

zimpy27 wrote:Giannis got this locked in for this season.

At this age/season LeBron played his last with the Cavs before going to Miami. Probably had 3 more years of the athletic prime just for comparison.

Giannis will have the same trouble Lebron had back in the day.... Voter fatigue.

This year just wan't competitive: Leonard load management, KD/Curry out, LBJ/AD splitting votes, Harden taking a step back without Paul. Giannis had a pretty easy path to MVP this year.

Next year will be a better test.
Packbuckman
Sixth Man
And1: 806

Post#607 » by Packbuckman » Wed Feb 5, 2020 3:25 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:

Giannis will have the same trouble Lebron had back in the day.... Voter fatigue.

This year just wan't competitive: Leonard load management, KD/Curry out, LBJ/AD splitting votes, Harden taking a step back without Paul. Giannis had a pretty easy path to MVP this year.

Giannis just had his 10th game of 30-15-5 with 34-17-6 in 30 minutes. The rest of the league has 9 games like that.
It don’t matter who’s not playing or who’s load managing he’s the best player and the mvp of the league again and next year he will be even better especially if he gets his free throws back to his normal 73%. His per is still over 32 with his free throws in the 60’s lol
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#608 » by ken6199 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 4:30 am

I think the opposite. The 88-90 generation is entering the wrong side of 30. Even during Curry's prime, he had competitions from Westbrook, KD, Harden, the tail end of LeBron's prime. Then KD joined him so they sort of canceled each other out.

Giannis is covering a void of prime talent. Barring rapid development from the younger generation, I actually see Giannis taking his total MVPs beyond 4. Next year he will be equally dominant so that's like 3 convincing MVPs to start his prime. He had some resistance from Harden in year 1, but year 2 or 3 it will be one way streets.

I see the MVP case closed this year, and predict this thread continue to be a nightly Giannis stats update thread by Mr Lazy Potato plus a bit of Doncic/Lillard/LeBron wows here and there, unless our most popular player James Harden launches a comeback then new big waves of bashing will get mixed in.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#609 » by MrPerfect1 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 6:59 am

-I could easily see a Durant Narrative win the MVP next year if he comes back to his previous form (returning to Full health could be big IF though). ESPN and the media are dying to hype NY Basketball.

-If the Lakers win the Title this year I could see a media narrative of "Let's vote Lebron to reward him for the previous year's playoff success"

-ESPN will be hyping Zion as an MVP favorite , but I doubt they win enough games next year

-Giannis fatigue could lead to a Luka win
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,685

Post#610 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Feb 5, 2020 3:35 pm

Nah, let's not try and retroactively label this 2-year stretch as being somehow devoid of other great MVP talent so he's gonna be a repeat MVP winner "by default". It's ignoring that Giannis is on one of the single greatest runs in the history of the sport. Plenty of other guys would have been worthy MVP winners both this season and last season, but like the 90s w/Jordan and the 2009-2013 run by Lebron, a lot of All-time greats are gonna be left with a single or zero MVP trophies simply by having the unfortunate luck of a good chuck of their RS prime years coinciding with prime Giannis.
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#611 » by abark » Wed Feb 5, 2020 5:11 pm

ken6199 wrote:

I think the opposite. The 88-90 generation is entering the wrong side of 30. Even during Curry's prime, he had competitions from Westbrook, KD, Harden, the tail end of LeBron's prime. Then KD joined him so they sort of canceled each other out.

Giannis is covering a void of prime talent. Barring rapid development from the younger generation, I actually see Giannis taking his total MVPs beyond 4. Next year he will be equally dominant so that's like 3 convincing MVPs to start his prime. He had some resistance from Harden in year 1, but year 2 or 3 it will be one way streets.

I see the MVP case closed this year, and predict this thread continue to be a nightly Giannis stats update thread by Mr Lazy Potato plus a bit of Doncic/Lillard/LeBron wows here and there, unless our most popular player James Harden launches a comeback then new big waves of bashing will get mixed in.

Voter fatigue. MJ only has 5 MVP's. Did anyone actually think Malone or Barkley actually had a better season in 97' or 92'?

Doncic will also likely be a huge thorn in side for the rest of his career.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#612 » by old skool » Wed Feb 5, 2020 5:50 pm

Antetokounmpo has been consistently dominant over the last two seasons. So dominant that the MVP discussion is shifting to who will win next year? Really?

Giannis was the Eastern Conference Player of the Month last year every month except January. This season he has won the award every month, with only February and March yet to be decided. Some of that one-sidedness is due to the westward migration of superstars, especially Lebron.

Giannis will certainly face voter fatigue at some point. But that won't happen until he stops improving. I don't expect voter fatigue this year because he is providing a new and compelling narrative. The double doubles. Ten games of 30-15-5. The Bucks with 74 straight games scoring 100+. The Bucks flirting with 70 wins. An improved 3-point shot. I can see voters looking elsewhere when Giannis is doing "the same as last year". Antetokounmpo is a seventh year player who has always been demonstrably better than the year before. Difficult to say how he will fare in next year's MVP voting when we don't know how good he will be.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,249

Post#613 » by Statlanta » Wed Feb 5, 2020 7:24 pm

ken6199 wrote:Giannis is covering a void of prime talent. Barring rapid development from the younger generation, I actually see Giannis taking his total MVPs beyond 4. Next year he will be equally dominant so that's like 3 convincing MVPs to start his prime. He had some resistance from Harden in year 1, but year 2 or 3 it will be one way streets.

I agree. Same thing with LeBron in 2010-2014. Very few healthy and in prime HOF talent.

Giannis still has some of that new toy, young player syndrome, but if the Bucks underachieve for whatever reason in the playoffs people will look at other more entertaining offensive minded players that are younger than him(Doncic, Morant, Williamson, KAT)
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,574

Post#614 » by KGtabake » Wed Feb 5, 2020 8:35 pm

Can't find any reasonable explanation for his free throws. His drop this season is glaring. Mental or not.
50 games. He has another 32 to work this out. He'll get the MVP either way but in the playoffs this can become milwaukee's doom.
I would hack the hell out of him tbh
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,758

Post#615 » by Jadoogar » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:06 pm

Who are the people not voting Giannis? Please reveal yourselves
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect

Post#616 » by The Lazy Potato » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:50 pm

Jadoogar wrote:Who are the people not voting Giannis? Please reveal yourselves

Biased and delusional fans will always exist on this world..
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,852

Post#617 » by VancouverRaps » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:14 pm

Jadoogar wrote:Who are the people not voting Giannis? Please reveal yourselves

Homers and trolls. Giannis has this locked up. I know some people will mention LeBron, but the presence of AD basically kills his chances against Giannis.
We the Champs
RoundMoundOfReb
Junior
And1: 545

Post#618 » by RoundMoundOfReb » Thu Feb 6, 2020 7:06 am

This is clearly Giannis.

However,it is a pet peeve of mine when people say: "30/13/6" (Giannis) vs "25/11/8" (LeBron) and more wins, as if rebounds are anywhere close to as valuable as assists. Not saying this is what people in here are doing, but I hear this a lot in the general MVP discourse.

Edit: I also disagree with the critique that Giannis is simply dominating a weak field. I actually think LeBron, Harden, Jokic (Luka excluded for health) would be strong MVP candidates in most other years. Giannis deserves all the credit in the world.
TheBullsDynasty
Rookie
And1: 1,504

Post#619 » by TheBullsDynasty » Thu Feb 6, 2020 7:39 am

Giannis

Jokic

Harden
Lebron/AD
Luka

Jokic is absolutely dominating in the last 30 games or so. Denver is in 3rd place despite all the injuries all due to Jokic.
Bang.. Bang.. and Bang..

No, Deng. It's Deng!
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect

Post#620 » by The Lazy Potato » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:36 am

TheBullsDynasty wrote:Giannis

Jokic

Harden
Lebron/AD
Luka

Jokic is absolutely dominating in the last 30 games or so. Denver is in 3rd place despite all the injuries all due to Jokic.

I think Lebron is still the second after Giannis. Jokic is great lately but it's a marathon not a sprint. It's about how great you were the whole season not part of it.

Return to The General Board