MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
61%
James
25%
Harden
3%
Leonard
0%
Doncic
4%
Jokic
1%
Tatum
1%
Davis
1%
Butler
1%
Siakam/Westbrook
2%

Total votes: 430

LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#661 » by LKN » Fri Feb 7, 2020 2:55 pm

If Giannis scored 10 points a game he'd still be one of the most impactful players in the NBA just due to defense and rebounding.
Magic Giannison
RealGM
And1: 27,027

Post#662 » by Magic Giannison » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:29 pm

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/02/07/kia-mvp-ladder-feb-7-edition?collection=around-the-league

Giannis Antetokounmpo
LeBron James
Kawhi Leonard
Jimmy Butler
Nikola Jokic
Luka Doncic
Damian Lillard
Anthony Davis
Jason Tatum
Russell Westbrook

harden out of top 10, wtf? how does this guy get a vote, Jesus
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect
And1: 300

Post#663 » by The Lazy Potato » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:58 pm

If Giannis is not the MVP again this year there should be an investigation and put in jail all the voters who didn't vote for him !!

Ok ok i am joking. :D
MakeItHappen
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#664 » by MakeItHappen » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:00 pm

I doubt it will happen but the Greek Freak should be the second unanimous MVP.

I also got him as the DPOY as well, his help defense ,paint threat and general contribution is outstanding.
mediocrityrules
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,028

Post#665 » by mediocrityrules » Fri Feb 7, 2020 9:41 pm

Magic Giannison wrote:https://www.nba.com/article/2020/02/07/kia-mvp-ladder-feb-7-edition?collection=around-the-league

Giannis Antetokounmpo
LeBron James
Kawhi Leonard
Jimmy Butler
Nikola Jokic
Luka Doncic
Damian Lillard
Anthony Davis
Jason Tatum
Russell Westbrook

harden out of top 10, wtf? how does this guy get a vote, Jesus

It's just insane that Harden has a bad stretch and all of a sudden to this guy he's an afterthought. The comment was made earlier that the MVP race is a marathon, not a sprint. This argument holds true when you're talking about guys going on hot streaks, just as much as it does when a guy goes through a cold patch. Sure he has slid a bit, but not enough to fall off consideration altogether.
Circling calendars since 2021
NirvanaFC
Veteran
And1: 2,600

Post#666 » by NirvanaFC » Fri Feb 7, 2020 10:28 pm

Is Giannis gonna win DPOY too?
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect

Post#667 » by The Lazy Potato » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:09 am

NirvanaFC wrote:Is Giannis gonna win DPOY too?

All the advance stats shows that he should but i don't think it gonna happen.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#668 » by WRau1 » Sat Feb 8, 2020 5:02 am

Giannis should also be DPOTY but thats not how the NBA works anymore.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,647

Post#669 » by GSP » Sat Feb 8, 2020 8:51 am

The Lazy Potato wrote:

That's not true at all. Many advanced stats favor other defenders in the league over him and some even for a player on his own team. He'd be a fine choice for Dpoy ATM but there's great arguments for at least a handful of other defenders too
SeniorWalker
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,855
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Post#670 » by SeniorWalker » Sat Feb 8, 2020 3:28 pm

Giannis could average a 40 point triple double for the rest of the year and the bucks get 74-8. He still wont go unanimous. The media is determined to get LeBron some votes for whatever reason. Several media members (Rachel Nichols for one) seem to be pretending that this is a somewhat close two man race and LeBron could still win it. This is the type of corporate fanboyism Giannis has to overcome to get the respect hes earned.

However...I hope he and the bucks focus on the title this year. They're not a lock to win, still have work to do and a lot to prove.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect

Post#671 » by The Lazy Potato » Sat Feb 8, 2020 7:15 pm

GSP wrote:
The Lazy Potato wrote:

That's not true at all. Many advanced stats favor other defenders in the league over him and some even for a player on his own team. He'd be a fine choice for Dpoy ATM but there's great arguments for at least a handful of other defenders too

I didn't say all the advanced stats but most of them for sure. Also he is the only one who can literally guard all 5 positions. There is nobody else who can close holes on defense like Giannis. just nobody.. He should be the big favorite for the DPOY too but fans and media will not give him the recognition he deserves on this.
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#672 » by MrPerfect1 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:15 am

The media has been trying to hand Davis the DPOY award for almost the entire year. Unless he misses a lot of games between now and the end of the year, I would be stunned if he didn't win.
GSP
RealGM
And1: 14,647

Post#673 » by GSP » Sun Feb 9, 2020 5:20 am

Jokic has to be top 3 at this point

Giannis is easily #1 and Lebron is the only other player with a clear case over him
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect

Post#674 » by The Lazy Potato » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:30 pm

GSP wrote:Jokic has to be top 3 at this point

Giannis is easily #1 and Lebron is the only other player with a clear case over him

If we want to be fair there is no one with a clear case over Giannis for the MVP title. Lebron doesn't play great in every game and also he has another top-5 player (AD) in his team.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,532

Post#675 » by KGtabake » Sun Feb 9, 2020 1:32 pm

The Lazy Potato wrote:

If we want to be fair there is no one with a clear case over Giannis for the MVP title. Lebron doesn't play great in every game and also he has another top-5 player (AD) in his team.

He was talking about LeBron having a clear case over Jokic.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#676 » by Vlade Divac » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:41 am

We should not discuss anyone but Giannis. No. #2 is fair game and for me I consider only players who are not on stacked teams.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#677 » by WRau1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:30 am

If Giannis stays in Milwaukee, how many MVPs will he win? I'm guessing it's going to be an absurd amount.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
Triples333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,671

Post#678 » by Triples333 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:00 am

SeniorWalker wrote:Giannis could average a 40 point triple double for the rest of the year and the bucks get 74-8. He still wont go unanimous. The media is determined to get LeBron some votes for whatever reason. Several media members (Rachel Nichols for one) seem to be pretending that this is a somewhat close two man race and LeBron could still win it. This is the type of corporate fanboyism Giannis has to overcome to get the respect hes earned.

However...I hope he and the bucks focus on the title this year. They're not a lock to win, still have work to do and a lot to prove.

Let's also bear in mind that he is yet to make a Finals and looked extremely tameable in his first conference Finals. The MVP is a regular season award, but let's not pretend that this player is head and shoulders better than the rest of the NBA. Multiple players have arguments over him when it matters.

As far as him being b2b MVP, that race is effectively over, but we can't be surprised that a LeBron led team that is #1 in the West is garnering him attention.
Gatorade Sax
Senior
And1: 721

Post#679 » by Gatorade Sax » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:20 am

The Lazy Potato wrote:

He’s obviously referring to the Joker...ya joker.
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#680 » by MrPerfect1 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:21 am

Triples333 wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:Giannis could average a 40 point triple double for the rest of the year and the bucks get 74-8. He still wont go unanimous. The media is determined to get LeBron some votes for whatever reason. Several media members (Rachel Nichols for one) seem to be pretending that this is a somewhat close two man race and LeBron could still win it. This is the type of corporate fanboyism Giannis has to overcome to get the respect hes earned.

Let's also bear in mind that he is yet to make a Finals and looked extremely tameable in his first conference Finals. The MVP is a regular season award, but let's not pretend that this player is head and shoulders better than the rest of the NBA. Multiple players have arguments over him when it matters.

As far as him being b2b MVP, that race is effectively over, but we can't be surprised that a LeBron led team that is #1 in the West is garnering him attention.

I think MIL should have won last year except Van Fleet suddenly turned in to the Greatest 3 Point Shooter in the Universe's History.

That being said people underestimate the Absurd Defensive Talent TOR had last year. TOR was able to roll out a Gasol, Green, Siakam, Kawhi combo defensively. That is legitimately 4 All NBA Caliber defenders. No team can come close to matching that. TOR obviously comes the closest but subtracting Kawhi is far from a small loss.

Return to The General Board