MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, bwgood77, Dirk, Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
162
68%
James
19
8%
Leonard
2
1%
Doncic
17
7%
Butler
3
1%
Davis
2
1%
Harden
5
2%
Jokic
15
6%
Lillard
12
5%
Gobert
1
0%
 
Total votes: 238

User avatar
eminence
Head Coach
Posts: 7,103
And1: 3,921
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#681 » by eminence » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:54 pm

I don't think LeBron's case is as weak as some are saying, but he's really the only one with even a fringe case against Giannis, who is, and should be, the heavy heavy favorite as of now.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
mitrandil20
Rookie
Posts: 1,179
And1: 410
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#682 » by mitrandil20 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:18 pm

OT:
What do you think are the Bucks' chances of winning the championship this year? I haven't watched any game of the team, I kind of get the strengths in terms of deep bench and structural pillars being veeery solid right now - but where does the main 'closing' strength lie? In their superstar Giannis or in their web of strengths? A combination of both is my first and most hopeful (or stupid?) answer, but I'm still not completely sold on Giannis being the absolute super-basketball saviant a lot of people describe him as. I would be frightenly happy to be shown otherwise actually, as my mind says "He's there", but my basketball aesthetic's perception says "No"

P.S. In recent years I just had the time to check daily box-scores and perhaps watch one or two games during the playoffs. My fav team is San Antonio, and I would be extremely satisfied with LeBron winning a 4th title.
User avatar
SeniorWalker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,162
And1: 970
Joined: Jan 14, 2009
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#683 » by SeniorWalker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:20 pm

eminence wrote:I don't think LeBron's case is as weak as some are saying, but he's really the only one with even a fringe case against Giannis, who is, and should be, the heavy heavy favorite as of now.

It's not that LeBrons case is weak. In any given year he'd be a solid candidate. It's more that Giannis is way ahead of everybody. So like if were going to talk about 1st place votes or whatever, LeBron doesn't really deserve any consideration over Giannis. Hes strong enough to be considered among the others though for sure. An also-ran, effectively.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
User avatar
eminence
Head Coach
Posts: 7,103
And1: 3,921
Joined: Mar 07, 2015
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#684 » by eminence » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:25 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:
eminence wrote:I don't think LeBron's case is as weak as some are saying, but he's really the only one with even a fringe case against Giannis, who is, and should be, the heavy heavy favorite as of now.

It's not that LeBrons case is weak. In any given year he'd be a solid candidate. It's more that Giannis is way ahead of everybody. So like if were going to talk about 1st place votes or whatever, LeBron doesn't really deserve any consideration over Giannis. Hes strong enough to be considered among the others though for sure. An also-ran, effectively.


Guess we disagree there. With the cast advantage Giannis has I think it's still at least worth monitoring.
'17-'18 APBR Win Projections Champion (1st of 20)
'18-'19 5th of 18
User avatar
SeniorWalker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,162
And1: 970
Joined: Jan 14, 2009
Location: at the event horizon and well on my way in, but you're wondering when i'll get there

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#685 » by SeniorWalker » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:41 pm

eminence wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:
eminence wrote:I don't think LeBron's case is as weak as some are saying, but he's really the only one with even a fringe case against Giannis, who is, and should be, the heavy heavy favorite as of now.

It's not that LeBrons case is weak. In any given year he'd be a solid candidate. It's more that Giannis is way ahead of everybody. So like if were going to talk about 1st place votes or whatever, LeBron doesn't really deserve any consideration over Giannis. Hes strong enough to be considered among the others though for sure. An also-ran, effectively.


Guess we disagree there. With the cast advantage Giannis has I think it's still at least worth monitoring.

Theres no question that the bucks cast overall is put together better. But LeBron is not the most important player by far for the Lakers, in the way Giannis is for the bucks. The lakers are a defensive oriented team and AD is their clear anchor, not to mention their leading scorer. It's really disingenuous on anyone part to act like he isnt contributing almost equally to LeBron. He really is. (Not implying anything about you personally here).

I also think LeBron is the Lakers most important player and they definitely need his playmaking but AD does lift nearly as much as he does, especially with LeBron's diminished scoring ability. This lowers LeBron's MVP value in my view.
"And always remember: one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish, knick knack, paddy whack, give a dog a bone, two thousand, zero, zero, party, oops! Out of time, my bacon smellin' fine."
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 39,942
And1: 46,160
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#686 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:24 pm

just give it to Giannis this discussion is pretty much over, biggest runaway probably since '16 Steph
#freepalestine
#BernieBro
BFRESH44
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
Posts: 6,001
And1: 7,021
Joined: Mar 25, 2007
Location: Coral Gables

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#687 » by BFRESH44 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:29 pm

Giannis should get a unanimous vote if Curry got one in '16.
bballgod07
Freshman
Posts: 59
And1: 25
Joined: Nov 18, 2019

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#688 » by bballgod07 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:24 am

Milwa is undefeated without Kompo they are like 6-0 or something? Clearly they are still probably top 4 without him easily.
mediocrityrules
Senior
Posts: 602
And1: 461
Joined: Nov 27, 2013
 

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#689 » by mediocrityrules » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:29 am

You probably want to check the teams they’ve played without him before calling them ‘top 4 clearly’.


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
User avatar
everdiso
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,572
And1: 6,064
Joined: Nov 18, 2008

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#690 » by everdiso » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:43 am

Kyle Lowry.
"Enjoy the moment, stay here, stay together, we're good." - Kawhi L.
C0bR
Senior
Posts: 721
And1: 363
Joined: Jan 16, 2013

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#691 » by C0bR » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:26 am

Bucks are now 5-0 without Giannis with an average margin of victory being 17 points

They are the best team in basketball irrespective of him playing or not

Giannis has now slipped fully out of contention
Gooner
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,380
And1: 4,070
Joined: Sep 02, 2018
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#692 » by Gooner » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:28 am

C0bR wrote:Bucks are now 5-0 without Giannis with an average margin of victory being 17 points

They are the best team in basketball irrespective of him playing or not

Giannis has now slipped fully out of contention


Yes, they are an elite regular season team even without him. Lillard is the MVP for me if he gets Portland to the playoffs.
MrPerfect1
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,416
And1: 2,328
Joined: Jul 02, 2013

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#693 » by MrPerfect1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:55 am

C0bR wrote:Bucks are now 5-0 without Giannis with an average margin of victory being 17 points

They are the best team in basketball irrespective of him playing or not

Giannis has now slipped fully out of contention


Yeah, because beating the Magic, Hawks, Kings, etc is truly the Mark of a Great Team lol

If they are the Best team even without him, then are you arguing Middleton for MVP?
User avatar
blazza18
RealGM
Posts: 41,920
And1: 16,753
Joined: Dec 02, 2010
       

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#694 » by blazza18 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:55 am

Bucks should have done Giannis a favour by losing to lottery teams.
trwi7 wrote:Ban yourself you asshole.
MrPerfect1
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,416
And1: 2,328
Joined: Jul 02, 2013

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#695 » by MrPerfect1 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:02 am

mitrandil20 wrote:OT:
What do you think are the Bucks' chances of winning the championship this year? I haven't watched any game of the team, I kind of get the strengths in terms of deep bench and structural pillars being veeery solid right now - but where does the main 'closing' strength lie? In their superstar Giannis or in their web of strengths? A combination of both is my first and most hopeful (or stupid?) answer, but I'm still not completely sold on Giannis being the absolute super-basketball saviant a lot of people describe him as. I would be frightenly happy to be shown otherwise actually, as my mind says "He's there", but my basketball aesthetic's perception says "No"

P.S. In recent years I just had the time to check daily box-scores and perhaps watch one or two games during the playoffs. My fav team is San Antonio, and I would be extremely satisfied with LeBron winning a 4th title.


-Giannis is having 1 of the Greatest Seasons in NBA History despite only playing 30 mins/game. Per/36 he scores nearly as much as Harden and adds Dominant Rebounding and DPOY caliber Defense on top.

-In terms of the team, they are the Highest scoring team in the League at roughly 120/game and haven't been held under 100 in any game this year.

-They are the Best Defensive team in the NBA with far and away the Best Rim Defense in the League. They give up a good amount of 3's, but usually to the lesser shooters in the harder to make spots.

-The only way teams have really beaten the Bucks this year is if teams catch Fire from 3 and either set or come close to setting a team record. Usually Bucks losses have featured the opposition making roughly 18-26 3's and shooting like 40%+ from 3 that game.
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,608
And1: 19,691
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#696 » by E-Balla » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:46 am

The Bucks legitimately have one of the best defenses I've ever seen given the league environment currently and the modern interpretation of the rules.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
User avatar
KGtabake
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,470
And1: 1,526
Joined: Jan 28, 2019
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#697 » by KGtabake » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:28 pm

E-Balla wrote:The Bucks legitimately have one of the best defenses I've ever seen given the league environment currently and the modern interpretation of the rules.


They give up a ton of open 3s. If they go against an elite shooting team, they'll have problem.
They defend the paint better than anyone i've seen. In the playoffs i think this kind of D will be problematic. We'll see.
TheSheriff wrote:He was 20 years old last season. How do you expect him to be a leader? In what professional context is a 20 year old a leader? Alexander the Great did not even accomplish much at age 20.
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,608
And1: 19,691
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#698 » by E-Balla » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:39 pm

KGtabake wrote:
E-Balla wrote:The Bucks legitimately have one of the best defenses I've ever seen given the league environment currently and the modern interpretation of the rules.


They give up a ton of open 3s. If they go against an elite shooting team, they'll have problem.
They defend the paint better than anyone i've seen. In the playoffs i think this kind of D will be problematic. We'll see.

Last year this was true but this year I don't think they give up more open looks than most teams from deep.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
User avatar
KGtabake
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,470
And1: 1,526
Joined: Jan 28, 2019
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#699 » by KGtabake » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:47 pm

E-Balla wrote:
KGtabake wrote:
E-Balla wrote:The Bucks legitimately have one of the best defenses I've ever seen given the league environment currently and the modern interpretation of the rules.


They give up a ton of open 3s. If they go against an elite shooting team, they'll have problem.
They defend the paint better than anyone i've seen. In the playoffs i think this kind of D will be problematic. We'll see.

Last year this was true but this year I don't think they give up more open looks than most teams from deep.



Maybe i'm wrong but i have the impression that every time they lose their opponent shoots lights out.
Sixers had a franchise record 3pt makes at Christmas(19 or something), Nuggets made 20-22 3s days ago.
I've watched these games. Again maybe i'm wrong because i don't watch all their games.
But if you make your shots against them you have a legit chance to beat them. Ofc that's a big "if".
Easier said than done.
TheSheriff wrote:He was 20 years old last season. How do you expect him to be a leader? In what professional context is a 20 year old a leader? Alexander the Great did not even accomplish much at age 20.
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,608
And1: 19,691
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#700 » by E-Balla » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:54 pm

KGtabake wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
KGtabake wrote:
They give up a ton of open 3s. If they go against an elite shooting team, they'll have problem.
They defend the paint better than anyone i've seen. In the playoffs i think this kind of D will be problematic. We'll see.

Last year this was true but this year I don't think they give up more open looks than most teams from deep.



Maybe i'm wrong but i have the impression that every time they lose their opponent shoots lights out.
Sixers had a franchise record 3pt makes at Christmas(19 or something), Nuggets made 20-22 3s days ago.
I've watched these games. Again maybe i'm wrong because i don't watch all their games.
But if you make your shots against them you have a legit chance to beat them. Ofc that's a big "if".
Easier said than done.

Those teams got hot against but it wasn't like they had a bunch of open looks or more open looks than usual. At least in the losses I saw.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King

Return to The General Board