MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
61%
James
25%
Harden
3%
Leonard
0%
Doncic
4%
Jokic
1%
Tatum
1%
Davis
1%
Butler
1%
Siakam/Westbrook
2%

Total votes: 430

scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#81 » by scrabbarista » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:03 pm

morning of January 4th

Top 10 Today

14.4 Hard, HOU
13.4 Ante, MIL
12.1 Jame, LAL
11.0 Butl, MIA
10.4 Donc, DAL

10.0 Gobe, UTA
9.7 Leona, LAC
9.7 Davis, LAL
9.5 Jokic, DEN
9.3 Lilla, POR
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#82 » by limbo » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:29 pm

So... If Anthony Davis is not the best player on the Lakers, is he the greatest 2nd fiddle of all-time?

Man is averaging 28/10/3 on 61%TS and DPOY defense.
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect
And1: 300

Post#83 » by The Lazy Potato » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:42 pm

scrabbarista wrote:
The Lazy Potato wrote:Some of you casual fans (specially americans) forgeting that defense is the half and equal part of the game. And the only real MVP contender that plays on elite level both ends of the floor is Giannis. Harden and Luka are bad/average defenders and this is not something that you should ignoring when we are talking about who is the MVP.

Wow, thank you so much. I always wondered why all of those guys were running around when their team didn't even have the ball. Everything makes so much more sense now. I'm going to go tell my American friends right away! Might be gone for awhile, it's a big country.

Besides the sarcasm, you know i am right on this tho.. ;)
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect
And1: 300

Post#84 » by The Lazy Potato » Sat Jan 4, 2020 2:44 pm

limbo wrote:So... If Anthony Davis is not the best player on the Lakers, is he the greatest 2nd fiddle of all-time?

Both Lebron and AD canseling each other from the MVP race because they are both top-5 players in the league and playing on the same team. And AD is not the DPOY for sure, Giannis is a better defender than him and he can literally guard all 5 positions something that AD can't do.
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#85 » by DutchManDanFan » Sat Jan 4, 2020 3:47 pm

mademan wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:I guess PPGzzzz and TS% are the only things that matter. We'll just handwave away someone who is putting up an All Time Season on a Historic team with possibly 0 other All Stars who scores almost as much as Harden and more than overcomes any difference on the Offensive end by being a Vastly, Vastly Superior Defensive player.

"Historic team with possibly 0 all-stars". You realize dude's team is playing incredible ball when he's on the bench at about +8.8 per 100 possessions. Giannis is incredible, but his argument should be his play, not his team performence.

The Bucks bench is very deep, that's why they outscore opponents benches when Giannis sits. But without Giannis they won't win much against elite teams. And they won't win everything against the < .500 teams, like they do now. That makes it a 45 win team max. And 0 all stars.
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#86 » by MrPerfect1 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 4:18 pm

DutchManDanFan wrote:
mademan wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:I guess PPGzzzz and TS% are the only things that matter. We'll just handwave away someone who is putting up an All Time Season on a Historic team with possibly 0 other All Stars who scores almost as much as Harden and more than overcomes any difference on the Offensive end by being a Vastly, Vastly Superior Defensive player.

"Historic team with possibly 0 all-stars". You realize dude's team is playing incredible ball when he's on the bench at about +8.8 per 100 possessions. Giannis is incredible, but his argument should be his play, not his team performence.

The Bucks bench is very deep, that's why they outscore opponents benches when Giannis sits. But without Giannis they won't win much against elite teams. And they won't win everything against the < .500 teams, like they do now. That makes it a 45 win team max. And 0 all stars.

Without Giannis they would likely be a 38 or so win team or so. There is a vast difference in playing with little pressure up by 20 vs having to play every night without even 1 All Star.

I can't fathom how people can reconcile the following. There is a massive chasm Defensively between Giannis and Harden. Any Offensive gap is far, far, far narrower than the Defensive Chasm.

(I understand that for some people that Giannis would be "more valuable" if he played more minutes in blowouts so the Bucks could win by 25 instead of 15.
Or, a truly valuable player would rest on defense so that they could keep playing in close games to inflate their Offensive numbers)
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#87 » by CptCrunch » Sat Jan 4, 2020 4:34 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
DutchManDanFan wrote:
mademan wrote:"Historic team with possibly 0 all-stars". You realize dude's team is playing incredible ball when he's on the bench at about +8.8 per 100 possessions. Giannis is incredible, but his argument should be his play, not his team performence.

Without Giannis they would likely be a 38 or so win team or so. There is a vast difference in playing with little pressure up by 20 vs having to play every night without even 1 All Star.

I can't fathom how people can reconcile the following. There is a massive chasm Defensively between Giannis and Harden. Any Offensive gap is far, far, far narrower than the Defensive Chasm.

(I understand that for some people that Giannis would be "more valuable" if he played more minutes in blowouts so the Bucks could win by 25 instead of 15.
Or, a truly valuable player would rest on defense so that they could keep playing in close games to inflate their Offensive numbers)

The difference on offense is titanic, incomparable.

The difference on defense is minor. Harden is a very elite defender. If you can't see that you are either not watching basketball or not looking at the advanced stats.

Please stop with the misleading narrative. MVP these days have sadly become the MFP, Medias Favorite Player.

#Disgace
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,168

Post#88 » by mademan » Sat Jan 4, 2020 5:02 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:
DutchManDanFan wrote:
mademan wrote:"Historic team with possibly 0 all-stars". You realize dude's team is playing incredible ball when he's on the bench at about +8.8 per 100 possessions. Giannis is incredible, but his argument should be his play, not his team performence.

This was the Steph Curry argument. The point is Harden's offense is so much better that the defense doesnt close the gap. It's why Harden is crushing Giannis in every impact stat on a team thats been injury riddled and has like 4 total good players
DutchManDanFan
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,807

Post#89 » by DutchManDanFan » Sat Jan 4, 2020 5:41 pm

paulbball wrote:Please stop with the misleading narrative. MVP these days have sadly become the MFP, Medias Favorite Player.

Not true. MFP would be LeBron or AD.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,356

Post#90 » by CptCrunch » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:27 pm

DutchManDanFan wrote:
paulbball wrote:Please stop with the misleading narrative. MVP these days have sadly become the MFP, Medias Favorite Player.

Not true. MFP would be LeBron or AD.

Media's darlings are: Luka, LeBron and Giannis. The former two have no case so Giannis is the winner by default.
fchowd0311
Freshman
And1: 135

Post#91 » by fchowd0311 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:33 pm

Damn this message board REALLY hates Harden. How is he third in the poll?

Even objective metrics such as basketball reference MVP tracker has Gainnis and Harden as the runaway top two choices.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,535

Post#92 » by KGtabake » Sat Jan 4, 2020 6:46 pm

fchowd0311 wrote:Damn this message board REALLY hates Harden. How is he third in the poll?

Even objective metrics such as basketball reference MVP tracker has Gainnis and Harden as the runaway top two choices.

Basically there are giannis haters too on comments. LeBron has haters for 17 years.
Only Luka is getting a pass so far :cheesygrin:
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,480

Post#93 » by old skool » Sat Jan 4, 2020 8:14 pm

Based on the season to date, Antetokounmpo looks to be the front runner for MVP. He has won Eastern Conference Player of the Month in both November and December. Last season he won that award every month except January.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#94 » by ShotCreator » Sat Jan 4, 2020 8:22 pm

KGtabake wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:
MrPerfect1 wrote:
Rofl at the idea that a team with 0 All Stars would be capable of winning anywhere near 60 games. I'd bet anything this has never happened before in league history and never even come close

Mike Budenholzer coached both teams.

13/14 Spurs, 14/15 Hawks.

And Khris Middleton this year is better than anyone on those teams.

The 2014 spurs is one of the best teams ever.
And Khris Middleton has never been better than Al Horford or Paul Millsap.
The Hawks had 4 all stars that year. I seriously doubt if the bucks will ever have that. Some of you need to relax with your agendas and give credit where its due.

Lol Jeff Teague is worse than Bledsoe at every facet of basketball.

Korver we peaked high, but only within the context of great scheming from Bud. He’s doing that for Hill and Ilyasova right now.

Millsap and Horford were the ****, but Middleton is playing the best defense he has since 2015, and his offensive season. Basically he’s peaking out there.

Besides that they are loaded with athletes and shooters.

There is no agenda. I genuinely believe this. Milwaukee would absolutely not stop playing good offense and great defense without Giannis. Nothing backs up they wouldn’t.
Swinging for the fences.
ShotCreator
Analyst
And1: 2,328

Post#95 » by ShotCreator » Sat Jan 4, 2020 8:26 pm

Harden is playing incomprehensibly good this year.

He is legitimately a CLEAR positive on defense on top of what he does on offense.

And I used to roll my eyes when people said he played good defense in any year other than this one.

He was a slight negative from 17-19. This is different. He’s their best wing defender after Tucker and House is no slouch.
Swinging for the fences.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#96 » by Dupp » Sat Jan 4, 2020 9:08 pm

limbo wrote:So... If Anthony Davis is not the best player on the Lakers, is he the greatest 2nd fiddle of all-time?

Hard to say exactly who the best player is. Davis is so good and leads the teams in so many areas. On the other hand the team falls apart without lebron. Would be clearer if they had a more competent backup guard than rondo.

As for your question it’s gotta be magic / Kareem and then Kobe right? Oscar maybe a similar level or slightly below.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#97 » by Dupp » Sat Jan 4, 2020 9:09 pm

Also poor harden. Dude playing goat level again and probably not even being considered by the media.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,535

Post#98 » by KGtabake » Sat Jan 4, 2020 10:11 pm

ShotCreator wrote:
KGtabake wrote:
ShotCreator wrote:Mike Budenholzer coached both teams.

13/14 Spurs, 14/15 Hawks.

And Khris Middleton this year is better than anyone on those teams.

The 2014 spurs is one of the best teams ever.
And Khris Middleton has never been better than Al Horford or Paul Millsap.
The Hawks had 4 all stars that year. I seriously doubt if the bucks will ever have that. Some of you need to relax with your agendas and give credit where its due.

Lol Jeff Teague is worse than Bledsoe at every facet of basketball.

Korver we peaked high, but only within the context of great scheming from Bud. He’s doing that for Hill and Ilyasova right now.

Millsap and Horford were the ****, but Middleton is playing the best defense he has since 2015, and his offensive season. Basically he’s peaking out there.

Besides that they are loaded with athletes and shooters.

There is no agenda. I genuinely believe this. Milwaukee would absolutely not stop playing good offense and great defense without Giannis. Nothing backs up they wouldn’t.

From the game logs checked in bball reference the last 2 seasons:
They were 4-6 last season without him and 3-0 so far this season. The 3 teams they beat this season are Cleveland, Orlando, New Orleans(at home). :roll:
That's the sample. That's a total of 7-6 in the last 2 seasons under Budenholzer.
Nobody said that the Bucks would have been bad without him.
Nobody said that they would have been a 60 win team as well though. To me they would have been the 7th seed easily(with Brooklyn's injuries)
I repeat, you said they would have won 60 games even without him.
If that's not an agenda against him, then what is it?

You make it seem like there are enough players in the league who can make a system like the one Budenholzer runs an easy thing.
Without Giannis every Ilyasova, Korver, Mirotic, Middleton or any other shooter you have in mind doesn't have the space to execute.
Lopez wasn't shooting a ton of 3s for 9 years. Suddenly he became a big who can shot 10 3s out of nowhere. Who makes this possible? How many players can draw the kind of attention that Giannis draws?
Take a look at this for example:

Do you see how much space middleton, ilyasova or connoghton have? And if he gets by Baynes(i think it's him) he will draw Kyrie too, leaving Hill wide open in the corner. That's literally 5 players monitored on him.
Without Giannis every good team in the league(and no, none of orlando, cleveland, pelicans is considered a good team atm) doesn't have a reason to leave these guys open.

And peak Horford and peak Millsap are better players than peak Middleton. I can't convince you otherwise but i don't have to either way. We agree to disagree i guess.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Young gun 6
Analyst
And1: 6,008

Post#99 » by Young gun 6 » Sat Jan 4, 2020 10:20 pm

Kawhi getting absolutely murdered by Crowder.
limbo
Veteran
And1: 2,677

Post#100 » by limbo » Sat Jan 4, 2020 10:26 pm

Young gun 6 wrote:Kawhi getting absolutely murdered by Crowder.

Crowder picked a nice time to have a career game. 27/8/7, 3 blks, 3 stls and 0 TO in 27 minutes, lol.

Return to The General Board