Even as a fellow Slovenian, I'm starting to not enjoy Dončić's play

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Re: Even as a fellow Slovenian, I'm starting to not enjoy Dončić's play 

Post#41 » by LipSkinMatter » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:55 pm

Bornstellar wrote:Lmao so many butthurt responses. OP makes a valid point about a player he obviously likes and so many posters come in here whining about it. Grow up man

This is the only butt hurt response I've read in this thread. :D
zonedefense
Analyst
And1: 3,938

Post#42 » by zonedefense » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Mavs need to play less Morey/D´Anthony ball. Same clutch problems Houston suffered from in the last few years. Teams take away Doncic and force him to give up the ball and the rest of the team cannot exploit a 4 vs 3 situation.
Against Utah the Jazz adjusted their defense in the 2nd half and doubled on every drive. Luka made the right play most of the time and did not try to force the issue with Gobert waiting for him in the paint. Gobert was matched up with Wright or DFS and both were wide open at the 3-point line every single time. Sucks that Wright refuses to shoot and DFS is only useful from the corner.
We will see if the Mavs figure it out this season but they probably don´t have the personal to solve the issues right now. The lack of a secondary creator is obvious.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,409

Post#43 » by bisme37 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:50 pm

I'm not saying he's not a terrific player or very effective but as a matter of personal taste I don't enjoy watching him as much as most fans seem to. He's like Harden but more ball dominant and a worse shooter. Not my idea of great entertainment. Sorry, Luka cult.
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#44 » by mixerball » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:52 pm

XTraderXL wrote:
mixerball wrote:
XTraderXL wrote:The argument of him being only 20 years old is not a good one. On the one hand we have some people claiming he has been a pro for a long time and on the other we have others saying he is still very young. For this argument to hold up, we would need a consensus first. Either he is an inexperienced player or his pro play makes him an experienced one. We cant have it both ways because the whole discussion is distorted based on how each person views his level of experience.

With that said, I mentioned a few days ago that if you are not a Dallas/Luka fan then his style of play gets pretty boring after a while. He just doesnt have the creativity of a Kyrie or athleticism of a LeBron to come up with those crazy plays on a regular basis. That doesnt mean he is not a good player, it just means not everyone will find him exciting to watch. His shot selection is a problem but my biggest problem with him are FTs. Struggling so bad at the line bumps him quite far down on my list of top NBA players. Being such an unreliable FT shooter, he is incredibly easy to guard in the clutch right now. You know he will shoot a tough 3 because he is scared to drive and get fouled. Pretty simple.

him being 20 is not some magical concept. he is experienced more than others but at 20 there is still a lot of room to grow. also there are levels of experience. nba is whole another tier. whats complicated here?

I think I explained it pretty clearly. You not getting it is not my problem.

ironic
mixerball
Veteran

Post#45 » by mixerball » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:55 pm

bisme37 wrote:I'm not saying he's not a terrific player or very effective but as a matter of personal taste I don't enjoy watching him as much as most fans seem to. He's like Harden but more ball dominant and a worse shooter. Not my idea of great entertainment. Sorry, Luka cult.

fair enough but the ending though... by saying it like that you are saying there is something wrong with people who enjoy his play
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,902

Post#46 » by stillgotgame » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:59 pm

Mavs are 11-9 when Doncic attempts 10 threes or more. Certainly looks like he should take less.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
leolozon
General Manager
And1: 7,724

Post#47 » by leolozon » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:00 pm

bisme37 wrote:I'm not saying he's not a terrific player or very effective but as a matter of personal taste I don't enjoy watching him as much as most fans seem to. He's like Harden but more ball dominant and a worse shooter. Not my idea of great entertainment. Sorry, Luka cult.

He isn’t more ball dominant though. They finally have the same usage rate and it’s because Westbrook has been great recently and is also ball dominant. Luka is at 61 made passes per game, 47.5 for Harden. He also as less FGA and less FTA.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#48 » by bisme37 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:02 pm

leolozon wrote:

He isn’t more ball dominant though. They finally have the same usage rate and it’s because Westbrook has been great recently and is also ball dominant. Luka is at 61 made passes per game, 47.5 for Harden. He also as less FGA and less FTA.

Well OK. He's as ball dominant or slightly less ball dominate than Harden. Anything in the neighborhood of that is unappealing basketball to me.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#49 » by bisme37 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:06 pm

mixerball wrote:

fair enough but the ending though... by saying it like that you are saying there is something wrong with people who enjoy his play

I think there is a cultish ravenous love for the kid among fans who get so sensitive and defense about any criticism of him. And I just got turned off earlier in the season when there were like 15 competing threads on here saying he's an all-time great before he's even been to the playoffs. It's just too much.

But if you found my earlier comment about him to be "fair enough," then I'm not talking about you with the cult comment. People liking him and his style of play is perfectly fine with me. Different stokes for different folks and all that. There's a next level cultishness among some of his fans though, imo.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,313

Post#50 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:11 pm

I want to first say I dont agree with the OP. He probably takes 2-3 step back 3s a game, the complaining about calls and all that doesn't bother me because 95% of players do that in the NBA. I personally love watching the guy play.

With that said, this really isn't any different than some of the Harden threads that get started here. The arguments are very similar, "dont enjoy watching him play", "whines and complains looking for fouls" and the people who defend Harden in those threads have the exact same argument defending Luka in this thread. They throw out his crazy individual video game numbers and the Rockets have had a top 2 offense the last 4 seasons.

But I agree with the "Harden bashing threads most of the time", I cant stand watching him play either. But its a personal preference thing, but I cant fault someone for not enjoying watching one player and be against him opening a thread about it, while he uses almost the exact same argument these Harden threads make and a ton of people are all for those.

Im sure plenty of Rocket fans are laughing at this thread and have the inner thought of, "Ha now you know what we go through almost every bad night with Harden."
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,587

Post#51 » by Nate505 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:13 pm

I was enjoying him chuck up 3s yesterday. It was pretty perplexing too, as he did well when he drove the ball.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#52 » by nedleeds » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:13 pm

Coronoharden Virus.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
mixerball
Veteran

Post#53 » by mixerball » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:18 pm

bisme37 wrote:
mixerball wrote:

I think there is a cultish ravenous love for the kid among fans who get so sensitive and defense about any criticism of him. And I just got turned off earlier in the season when there were like 15 competing threads on here saying he's an all-time great before he's even been to the playoffs. It's just too much.

But if you found my earlier comment about him to be "fair enough," then I'm not talking about you with the cult comment. People liking him and his style of play is perfectly fine with me. Different stokes for different folks and all that. There's a next level cultishness among some of his fans though, imo.

disagree on the last sentence. luka is not special in this department. every potentially great player has a following like this. every player like that gets overrated by his group early in his career.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,197

Post#54 » by deneem4 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:22 pm

Save this thread for Luka in the playoffs
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#55 » by Pg81 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:23 pm

XTraderXL wrote:The argument of him being only 20 years old is not a good one. On the one hand we have some people claiming he has been a pro for a long time and on the other we have others saying he is still very young. For this argument to hold up, we would need a consensus first. Either he is an inexperienced player or his pro play makes him an experienced one. We cant have it both ways because the whole discussion is distorted based on how each person views his level of experience.

With that said, I mentioned a few days ago that if you are not a Dallas/Luka fan then his style of play gets pretty boring after a while. He just doesnt have the creativity of a Kyrie or athleticism of a LeBron to come up with those crazy plays on a regular basis. That doesnt mean he is not a good player, it just means not everyone will find him exciting to watch. His shot selection is a problem but my biggest problem with him are FTs. Struggling so bad at the line bumps him quite far down on my list of top NBA players. Being such an unreliable FT shooter, he is incredibly easy to guard in the clutch right now. You know he will shoot a tough 3 because he is scared to drive and get fouled. Pretty simple.

:roll:
NBA is the best league in the world, still. EL though is the second best. Yeah he has more professional experience in the second best league in the world but he had zero experience in the NBA, now he is in his second year. NBA is a different beast, on average the athletic level is noticably higher than in the EL. When people bring up Doncic age they acknowledge that for his age his game especially passing game is years ahead of a typical top 5 non-pg rookie. That a SF, even if you consider him a point forward, has this kind of vision and passing while also being able to score 30+ with good efficiency despite 3 point and FT shooting still being somewhat unstable was almost unthinkable for most. At age 20 you still have a half a decade to a decade to drastically improve your game and there is no reason to believe he won't improve barring major injuries. So yeah you can have it both ways. EL is a grown man league and far superior to college basketball but It is still inferior to the NBA.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
KungFuJoe
Pro Prospect
And1: 312

Post#56 » by KungFuJoe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:48 pm

Agree with op. I used to tune in to Mavs games all season just to watch Luka and I’m not even a Mavs fan. He was on some kinda crazy hot streak early on with nearly averaging a 30pt tripdub. But I dunno if he’s just getting tired and banged up but he seems to have lost some energy lately. I think the public acclaim and maintaining that level of play is getting to his head. He’s forcing things a lot but also getting frustrated, not hustling, getting beat on defense, bad turnovers. Just not fun to watch at all.

He’s only 20 though and will only get better. Also he doesn’t really have much of a supporting cast around him. Solid pieces but that offense still lives and dies with him. Just too much too soon.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,125

Post#57 » by clyde21 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:50 pm

CAE15 wrote:He's 20 years old and he's a legitimate MVP candidate..

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app

what does that have to do with OP not enjoying the way he plays?
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,474

Post#58 » by DaPessimist » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:53 pm

One of the main issues with allowing players to take as many 3's as they want, is that taking 3's is the easy way out.

I've coached HS basketball for many years, and if I told my team they could shoot any semi-open 3-pointer they wanted, they would take ever semi-open 3-pointer that presented itself... because it's easier. I have to actively dissuade my players from trying to imitate the modern league.

If you give players the choice to take the path of least resistance, they will take it, even if it's not the optimal path to winning. There are way too many players in the NBA taking 3-pointers they shouldn't be taking, because the cultural of the league allows it.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,648

Post#59 » by nedleeds » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:55 pm

I think he may be a little fatigued. He seeks, takes and absorbs a ton of contact. This is tiring. The step back 3 is a contact less bail out shot, that you'll get worse and worse at as your legs get tired. That being said Luka is in better shape for sure this year, and he's 20. If he can improve his strength into his athletic prime (26-28) he'll be **** godlike.

People are moaning abut his foul drawing and comparing it to Harden. I disagree. Harden is just taking advantage of the most gullible antics driven officials in sports. Harden draws 75% of his fouls by moving his arms into the defenders space and ripping upward, trying to catch a limb if possible, if not then just flailing his arms like he's been hit with a crossbow. Luka is normally spinning, or putting his shoulder into the chest of the defender and using his body, he also uses more pump fakes in the lane than Harden. They are both embellishing but Harden is unwatchable foolery.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#60 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:00 pm

CAE15 wrote:He's 20 years old and he's a legitimate MVP candidate..

Sent from my SM-N950U using RealGM mobile app

There's still lots of room for improvement. LeBron came in second I believe in mvp voting in 2006 and think about how much he worked on his game and improved from then until say 2016. Luka needs to have that same mindset.

Return to The General Board