Allow me to speak on Tillman Fertita

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,392

Re: Allow me to speak on Tillman Fertita 

Post#141 » by JonFromVA » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:56 pm

I wonder how long it's going to take before Silver steps in and stops teams from being able to trade away pick swap rights when the Stepien rule would otherwise prevent them from trading their pick?

A franchise having to go 6 years without their own draft pick is potentially quite brutal.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#142 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:02 pm

worst owner in sports. hard to find worst one. Even dan synder found a way get the washington football respectable....
KirkHinrich12
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#143 » by KirkHinrich12 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:22 pm

In fairness, they are in the group that has the highest odds for Cade Cunningham.
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,487

Post#144 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:41 pm

Well the Fertitta family is pretty well known to be mobbed up, so perhaps if Tilman gets desperate enough he can call in some favors from his cousins Lorenzo and Frank. Maybe send some goons to GM offices around the league to make something happen lol
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#145 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:44 pm

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:Well the Fertitta family is pretty well known to be mobbed up, so perhaps if Tilman gets desperate enough he can call in some favors from his cousins Lorenzo and Frank. Maybe send some goons to GM offices around the league to make something happen lol

:lol:
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,413

Post#146 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:46 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
og15 wrote:It's crazy how something can be destroyed so quickly and swiftly, just bad move after bad move after bad move. I have great compassion for any fanbase with a trash owner, it's just terrible.

You take Simmons , three frp, thybulle and run with it. You can always flip Simmons and thybulle later for picks. Astonishing his ego got in the way

If that was available then yea they messed up big time.
ConSarnit
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,680

Post#147 » by ConSarnit » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:54 pm

If you’re a Rockets fan you should be furious that the league allowed Tillman to be an owner. Having a terrible owner is a death sentence. It’s not unreasonable that the Rockets could be looking at 20 years of ineptitude. I don’t know how the league could screw up this bad. This is the type of decision that can ruin a franchise for decades.

You can fire a GM and coach, trade away disgruntled players. You can fix every problem except an incompetent owner.
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,413

Post#148 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:15 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
og15 wrote:It's crazy how something can be destroyed so quickly and swiftly, just bad move after bad move after bad move. I have great compassion for any fanbase with a trash owner, it's just terrible.

Yup. Pretty much every challenge or setback in pro sports has a potential way out. Make enough smart decisions, get a few breaks and you'll have a good team and enjoy some success. But there's absolutely nothing you can do about crap ownership.

The mural thing is unreal. I think Sterling pulled the same garbage with billboards in San Diego when trying to promote the Clippers way back when. You're the owner. Nobody gives a F about you. Your job is to sign checks, stay out of the way and not screw things up. And that's pretty much it. Nobody wants to see your face front and center, especially when you have an MVP on your team. You can't get any more delusional and egotistical than that.

Yea super embarrassing. What a moron.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#149 » by Metallikid » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:33 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:Tillman for president!

An account from two months before Fertitta bought the Houston Rockets with the name TinmanZBoy.

You think we're all idiots, don't you Tillman?

My name is actually Tilman, get that straight son... lol

So you misspelled your own name?
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#150 » by John Murdoch » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:51 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:To me, this is not the story about only Fertita, but the story of Leslie Alexander and the league not taking a hard look at Fertita's history before letting him buy the franchise. Just read a couple of interviews by the guy, talk to him a lot, notice that he's a delusional narcissist, and realize that he's gonna ruin the franchise located in one of the biggest American cities, with a great opportunity to grow in value if the franchise is putting out a good product. Billionaires are fighting over the opportunity to buy an NBA team, and you allow this clown to buy it lol

Look at the recent attempt at the european " super leauge" in soccer...money is all the powers that be care about
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
donnieme
Head Coach
And1: 7,178

Post#151 » by donnieme » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:54 pm

Metallikid wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
An account from two months before Fertitta bought the Houston Rockets with the name TinmanZBoy.

You think we're all idiots, don't you Tillman?

Typical Tilman. Must have saved a couple cents spelling it that way
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,732

Post#152 » by TinmanZBoy » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:11 pm

donnieme wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
TinmanZBoy wrote:

Typical Tilman. Must have saved a couple cents spelling it that way

iPhone sucks
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 9,341

Post#153 » by jwise44 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:27 pm

KirkHinrich12 wrote:In fairness, they are in the group that has the highest odds for Cade Cunningham.

In complete and utter unfairness to the fans...we also have like a 48% chance of dropping out of the top 4 and losing our pick because we traded cp3 and picks for Westbrook because Tilman forced morey to make the trade
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#154 » by BallerTalk » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:19 am

While I agree with much of what OP said about Fertitta, I'm of a completely different opinion as far as the outlook of the team going forward. I sincerely believe the worst is over.

In 2017 when I first learned that Tilman was preparing another run at buying the Rockets I told anyone who would listen that he would be awful for the franchise. The consternation over renaming Hofheinz arena had cemented his rep as a bumptious bloviating nepotist with an outsized opinion of himself.
I had no idea that he would also be penny-pinching skinflint who began whining about the cost of contending the moment he acquired the team.
His ham-fisted presence and miserly management have resulted in what the Rockets are now: a team that went from first to worst in just three seasons.

Last season, beginning with the Westbrook trade, was the start of the virtual death spiral as the dominoes fell from there. The team was forced to alter all they had built toward for nearly a decade in a futile effort to maximize Tilman's new marquee player only to have the whole thing crumble to an embarrassing end in the playoffs anyway.
To me that was rock bottom. In all my years of following the Rockets I had never been as despondent about the future of the team as I was after the playoffs last year, largely because I was certain the team would be stuck with Westbrook for the duration of that contract.

Then came the report of the trade demands. The Westbrook trade was a clear win. The Harden situation was handled clumsily and the full value may not be known for a half a decade.
But the real victory is that it all thoroughly embarrassed Fertitta. Being widely regarded as one of the worst owners in sports has been devastating to his ego and as a result he has backed up from the mic and decided to let basketball people make the basketball decisions.
And given the circumstances, I like what Rafael Stone has done so far.

So despite all the chaos, calamity, and losing (oh so much losing) the silver lining is that it has forced Tilman to shut up (and listen :lol: ) and early in the process Stone has assembled some nice pieces to begin rebuilding with.
As a result I personally feel a lot better about the team going forward than I did a season ago.
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,207

Post#155 » by Capn'O » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:38 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:

Yup. Pretty much every challenge or setback in pro sports has a potential way out. Make enough smart decisions, get a few breaks and you'll have a good team and enjoy some success. But there's absolutely nothing you can do about crap ownership.

The mural thing is unreal. I think Sterling pulled the same garbage with billboards in San Diego when trying to promote the Clippers way back when. You're the owner. Nobody gives a F about you. Your job is to sign checks, stay out of the way and not screw things up. And that's pretty much it. Nobody wants to see your face front and center, especially when you have an MVP on your team. You can't get any more delusional and egotistical than that.

I missed the mural the first go-round. This dude sucks.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
chuck_wagon44
Senior
And1: 625

Post#156 » by chuck_wagon44 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:04 pm

The mural directive will always be the cover page to his terrible ownership.
LarsV8
General Manager
And1: 3,887

Post#157 » by LarsV8 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:55 pm

Following up on this.

Today, during Ime Udoka's introductory press conference, he pledged 70m on a new practice facility.

Let's see if he can start being a good owner.
DAYSOFTHEPAST
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#158 » by DAYSOFTHEPAST » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:31 pm

excellent post +1
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,604

Post#159 » by dc » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:46 pm

LarsV8 wrote:Following up on this.

Today, during Ime Udoka's introductory press conference, he pledged 70m on a new practice facility.

Rainforest and Bubba Gump must be picking up post-pandemic.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#160 » by K_chile22 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 2:00 am

LarsV8 wrote:Following up on this.

He also bought them a brand new 767 plane last year. His net worth has jumped from $2.9B when he bought the team to $8.2B today according to Forbes. He's paying up now bc he can afford to, he couldn't before because he impulse bought a team he couldn't afford at the time

Return to The General Board