Pels Roster Fit

Moderators: Dirk, Domejandro, bwgood77, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, PockyCandy, Prez, Yuri Vaultin, ken6199

Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,529
And1: 31,901
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Pels Roster Fit 

Post#1 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:46 pm

I know this might be more of a team board topic, but the Pels board is pretty dead and thought I would get the general publics opinion on this. I think the Pels has the most quality young assets in the game currently, but I think they come with a ton of questionable fits with each other.

You have the questionable Zion and Ingram fit. You have the very questionable Zion and Hayes fit (I dont see this one ever really working). You also have other ones like NAW being a horrible fit alongside Lonzo. Im very curious on how New Orleans views their current franchise building blocks. Zion is obviously #1, but Im curious if they view Lonzo as #2. How long till the Pels go all out on building a roster completely around Zion? So if guys like Ingram and Hayes aren't fits, do they look to deal them soon, or you think they stick with the rebuilding process a little longer and try and workout the bumps and bruises along the way?

Add on: Just to be clear I don't worry about the Ingram/Zion fit. I said they have a questionable fit because that has been talked about a lot on here over the season.
sackings916
Analyst
Posts: 3,434
And1: 145
Joined: Sep 07, 2002

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#2 » by sackings916 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:58 pm

If I’m the Pels Zion and Ingram are # 1 and 2. I try to put complimentary pieces around those 2 first.
HoopsterJones
General Manager
Posts: 9,404
And1: 6,243
Joined: Feb 22, 2014

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#3 » by HoopsterJones » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:00 pm

I think Ingram and Zion can work together, they’ve only played like 5 games together so far.

Both excel in one on one matchups offensively with obviously different skill sets. Having two guys who can win in ISO ball is a huge plus.

Lonzo is the right kind of PG that can make those on the spot passes to Zion in the low post where he can dominate. When they get their synergy down, we’re going to see some high flying magic. But I don’t see him as the #2 guy on a contender. More like a Rondo with the KG Celtics.

Hayes is a very athletic big, who does not space the floor for Zion. Maybe it could work if they stagger their minutes, but not long term.

NAW has been pretty bad as a shooter so far.

The Pelicans need 3 and D type role players to surround Zion to space the floor ideally.

The future does look bright for the Pelicans though.
2019-2020 Bulls Prediction:

Regular Season: 35-47
1 All Star: Markkanen or LaVine
All Rookie 2nd Team: Coby White
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 31,521
And1: 19,649
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#4 » by E-Balla » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:04 pm

NAW isn't good enough to be discussing how he fits with anyone. They need to build 100% around Zion all in and I think they've done that at this point looking at their offseason acquisitions.

Zo at PG is perfect next to Zion

Hart has emerged as the perfect SG to play next to both Zion and Zo

Ingram is only 22 so even as someone that thought he was terrible up until this year (I didn't believe in his jumper) I think he can continue to improve. His playmaking used to be the only thing I liked in his game. If he gets that mentality back and accepts not being the franchise player (and learns to defend but that's a stretch) he's a great scorer to pair with Zion since he can drive from the perimeter and shoot.

As far as Hayes goes he's not a perfect fit next to Zion but will be a great third big. It's 2020 so it's easy to find a big that's tall and can shoot to plug next to Zion. I halfway think swapping Ingram for Lauri and Porter might be a great way to get a better fit and talent upgrade but IDK how much Chicago wants to deal Porter even if Lauri is asking out and that's a good way to dump his contract.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
donato
Sophomore
Posts: 187
And1: 202
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
   

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#5 » by donato » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:05 pm

sackings916 wrote:If I’m the Pels Zion and Ingram are # 1 and 2. I try to put complimentary pieces around those 2 first.


This. I think it's far too early to suggest BI and Zion aren't a good fit. I don't really understand that reasoning. I think there's no doubt BI gets a Pels max and they wouldn't consider moving BI until after the 2020-21 season and only then if they are proven to be completely incompatible. I think the same about all the young pups. There's just not enough data/info/time to evaluate chemistry/fit with Zion yet. Also, is Gentry out after this season?

Jrue will be 30 in a few months and his contract expires after next season. I don't think he is on the same timeline and would be looking to move him this offseason.
The_Hater
RealGM
Posts: 72,364
And1: 25,701
Joined: May 23, 2001
     

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I know this might be more of a team board topic, but the Pels board is pretty dead and thought I would get the general publics opinion on this. I think the Pels has the most quality young assets in the game currently, but I think they come with a ton of questionable fits with each other.

You have the questionable Zion and Ingram fit. You have the very questionable Zion and Hayes fit (I dont see this one ever really working). You also have other ones like NAW being a horrible fit alongside Lonzo. Im very curious on how New Orleans views their current franchise building blocks. Zion is obviously #1, but Im curious if they view Lonzo as #2. How long till the Pels go all out on building a roster completely around Zion? So if guys like Ingram and Hayes aren't fits, do they look to deal them soon, or you think they stick with the rebuilding process a little longer and try and workout the bumps and bruises along the way?


I don’t think Zion/Ingram is a questionable fit at all now that Ingram has become such a good shooter and expanded his game.

And I’m not sure why you or the Pels would have Lonzo ahead of Ingram as a building block? That seems odd.

For most of the other guys, i think giving them time to develop and time to see exactly how they fit together on the court needs to happen before Griffin starts shuffling the cards. But he’s definitely assembled a lot of nice young pieces.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.


April 14th, 2019.
User avatar
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 7,635
And1: 22,860
Joined: Dec 12, 2005
     

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#7 » by Dirk » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:11 pm

Image
User avatar
Young gun 6
Starter
Posts: 2,371
And1: 3,860
Joined: Dec 23, 2014
     

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#8 » by Young gun 6 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:12 pm

They actually have a really really nice roster around Zion at the moment.

Ball 37% from 3 on 6.4 attempts
Hart 35% from 3 on 5.8 attempts
Jrue 35% from 3 on 4.7 attempts
Ingram 40% from 3 on 6.3 attempts
Redick 46% from 3 on 6.6 attempts


Ball is one of the best passers in the league and has been exceptional at getting Zion good looks. Ingram can create for himself but is actually a good playmaker as well.


You’ve got Jrue, Ball and Ingram that can all play make.

You’ve got Jrue, Ball, Ingram, Hart, Redick that can all shoot the 3 ball.

You’ve got Jrue, Ball and Favors that are all positive defenders.

Most of these guys are young.


Build around Zion, Ingram and Lonzo.

Lonzo is a winner and his effect (as it was at Lakers) goes far beyond his stats. His passing, vision, 3 point shooting and defense don’t necessarily mean awesome stats but man does he create wins.
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,994
And1: 8,274
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#9 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:14 pm

I don't see any reason he can't fit with Ingram. Ingram is a deadly shooter now, great length and a solid enough playmaker on the wing. What else would you want from a guy at the 3 next to Zion?
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Up-And-Coming
Pro Prospect
Posts: 842
And1: 438
Joined: Jul 21, 2015
         

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#10 » by Up-And-Coming » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Lonzo is a perfect fit for Zion
Hart is almost always a + in plus/minus and can fit on any team
and Ingram is 22 and has shown an improved jump shot.

These guys should fit to me. Consider moving Jrue, NAW, Hayes, FRP for a win-now player in his prime and they are a playoff team with championship potential in their future
User avatar
whitehops
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,564
And1: 3,284
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
     

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#11 » by whitehops » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:18 pm

Young gun 6 wrote:Lonzo is a winner and his effect (as it was at Lakers) goes far beyond his stats. His passing, vision, 3 point shooting and defense don’t necessarily mean awesome stats but man does he create wins.

he's 68-78 in his career.... nothing in his career so far supports that statement.
User avatar
jwise44
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 15,095
And1: 7,559
Joined: Jan 07, 2010
Location: NYC
       

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#12 » by jwise44 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:23 pm

Up-And-Coming wrote:Hart is almost always a + in plus/minus and can fit on any team

So one poster on here would say hart is undefeated this season?

In all seriousness, it’s too early to say NAW and Hayes can’t fit with Zion, guys are rookies. They could easily grow into fits. I think Ingram holiday and Zion all fit (though Jrue is older) and ball now fits really well

I think the team is set to grow together well
ROCKETS TEXANS ASTROS knicks jets
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 58,135
And1: 29,454
Joined: Oct 15, 2006
Location: København
     

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#13 » by Slava » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:25 pm

I'd look to get a proper coach before deciding which one of the talented players fit or don't. Gentry is far from head coaching material.
:king:
User avatar
Young gun 6
Starter
Posts: 2,371
And1: 3,860
Joined: Dec 23, 2014
     

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#14 » by Young gun 6 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:28 pm

whitehops wrote:
Young gun 6 wrote:Lonzo is a winner and his effect (as it was at Lakers) goes far beyond his stats. His passing, vision, 3 point shooting and defense don’t necessarily mean awesome stats but man does he create wins.

he's 68-78 in his career.... nothing in his career so far supports that statement.



68-78 when he plays.. (.466)
27-46 when he doesn’t.. (.369)

Pels are 2-7 when he comes off the bench rather than starting too.
VanWest82
General Manager
Posts: 8,637
And1: 9,202
Joined: Dec 05, 2008

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#15 » by VanWest82 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:50 pm

If Jrue is willing to do a team friendly extension then you start there. If not, I'd call Philly and offer Jrue for Horford.
User avatar
whitehops
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,564
And1: 3,284
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
     

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#16 » by whitehops » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:51 pm

- let favors, moore, okaford, frank jackson and kenrich williams walk this offseason
- decline darius miller's team option for $7 million
- sign ingram to a 4-year deal, his cap hit will likely start around $28 million if they give him the max (his numbers are better than hield's and hield gets $24 mil next year).

roster next season:
Lonzo Ball
Jrue Holiday/JJ Redick/Josh Hart/NAW
Brandon Ingram
Zion Williamson/Nicolo Melli
Jaxson Hayes

that leaves them with their late-lotto pick, three second rounders and roughly $10 million to add free agents to fill out their roster. hopefully they add a veteran backup PG and SF in free agency to try to take advantage of redick and likely holiday's last seasons with the pelicans.

if i were them i wouldn't shop NAW or hayes, they are both cheap to keep and NAW has play making potential while hayes at the very least can be used as a backup center while he develops, even if he can't effectively share the court with zion.

if i were them i'd try to extend ball for cheap (~$12 mil per year) this off season, in case he somehow has a breakout season like ingram did this year. i'd let hart play out his rookie deal and let him become a restricted free agent next off season.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,529
And1: 31,901
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#17 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:54 pm

whitehops wrote:- let favors, moore, okaford, frank jackson and kenrich williams walk this offseason
- decline darius miller's team option for $7 million
- sign ingram to a 4-year deal, his cap hit will likely start around $28 million if they give him the max (his numbers are better than hield's and hield gets $24 mil next year).

roster next season:
Lonzo Ball
Jrue Holiday/JJ Redick/Josh Hart/NAW
Brandon Ingram
Zion Williamson/Nicolo Melli
Jaxson Hayes

that leaves them with their late-lotto pick, three second rounders and roughly $10 million to add free agents to fill out their roster. hopefully they add a veteran backup PG and SF in free agency to try to take advantage of redick and likely holiday's last seasons with the pelicans.

if i were them i wouldn't shop NAW or hayes, they are both cheap to keep and NAW has play making potential while hayes at the very least can be used as a backup center while he develops, even if he can't effectively share the court with zion.

if i were them i'd try to extend ball for cheap (~$12 mil per year) this off season, in case he somehow has a breakout season like ingram did this year. i'd let hart play out his rookie deal and let him become a restricted free agent next off season.


You wouldn't look to move Jrue this summer? He is much older then the rest of the core and will be on an expiring deal next year and will be a non restricted free agent next summer.
User avatar
whitehops
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,564
And1: 3,284
Joined: Dec 12, 2012
     

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#18 » by whitehops » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:00 pm

Young gun 6 wrote:68-78 when he plays.. (.466)
27-46 when he doesn’t.. (.369)

Pels are 2-7 when he comes off the bench rather than starting too.

that's mainly from his time with the lakers, and has to do with who replaced him on a team that already was short on play makers. this year the pelicans are 19-28 with him (.404) and granted it is a small sample size but 4-4 without him this season. the difference is the pelicans have guys that can generate offense and hit from 3 whereas the lakers didn't.
User avatar
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 13,764
And1: 13,493
Joined: Jul 13, 2014

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#19 » by zimpy27 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:00 pm

I think Lonzo, Jrue, Zion, Favors with NAW, Hart and Melli off the bench is the team you build on over the next 5 years.

I think they need to replace Jrue, Favors, Melli who are of a similar vintage and will be around 34 in 5 years but will be used for their veteran presence for now.

PG: Ball (34) | NAW (10) | Jrue (4)
SG: Jrue (30) | SG2 (14) | NAW (4)
SF: SF1 (20) | Hart (24) | SG2 (4)
PF: Zion (30) | SF1 (10) |Melli (8)
C : Favors (28) | Melli (10) | Zion (10)

All are under contract except Favors, who they would need to re-sign.
They have a 2020 FRP which they should use to select Josh Green for the SG2 position.
I think they should also re-sign Ingram and play him as SF1 before trading him for a better fitting SF1.
They have also have Hayes and Redick (18m total) to trade and upgrade Hart, Melli and NAW (if they don't work out).
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
SF_Warriors
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,350
And1: 2,521
Joined: Jul 12, 2012

Re: Pels Roster Fit 

Post#20 » by SF_Warriors » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:10 pm

I like the pels roster

Their defensive versatility potential is probably what I like the most.. jrue, ball, ingram can guard mostperimeter players, and favors zion seems like a quality pairing up front defensively.

Redick is the exact type of scorer shooting specialist I want off the bench... they have a functional big three, good overall passing team, and decent depth up front with hayes off the bench. They are definitely good enough to be a playoff team next season.

Return to The General Board