Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part II] Ja v Zion

Moderators: Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, Goudelock, Prez, bwgood77, ken6199, Dirk

Ja vs Zion, Who Ya Got?

Ja
72%
Zion
27%
Other
1%

Total votes: 107

ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 1,687

Re: Rookie Discussion [19/20] [part II] Ja v Zion 

Post#41 » by ILOVEIT » Fri May 8, 2020 6:59 pm

This reminds me a lot of Curry or Griffin. I think the smaller Ja has the best chance of having a longer and sustainable impact to a championship type scenario. Zion, like Griffin, will have the more hype and highlights, but will VERY likely break down within 3-4 years. It's a fact: The body can not continue to sustain that level of athletic activity in such a heavy body. He needs to drop 20 lb's or he's in trouble. IMO
Looking forward to 2073....bye bye pouting moody Durant...hello again the 73 win style of hoops!
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 9,838

Post#42 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:52 am

ILOVEIT wrote:This reminds me a lot of Curry or Griffin. I think the smaller Ja has the best chance of having a longer and sustainable impact to a championship type scenario. Zion, like Griffin, will have the more hype and highlights, but will VERY likely break down within 3-4 years. It's a fact: The body can not continue to sustain that level of athletic activity in such a heavy body. He needs to drop 20 lb's or he's in trouble. IMO

Ja is a guard. he's going to be more of a difference maker long term since he's probably going to handling the ball way more than Zion ever will.

Zion will have some great years but i think his physical dominance will take a toll on his body long term.

barring any injuries though, Ja is more likely a difference maker based on the guard-oriented league where you need elite guards to win the game.
sfernald
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,377

Post#43 » by sfernald » Sat May 16, 2020 3:47 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:This reminds me a lot of Curry or Griffin. I think the smaller Ja has the best chance of having a longer and sustainable impact to a championship type scenario. Zion, like Griffin, will have the more hype and highlights, but will VERY likely break down within 3-4 years. It's a fact: The body can not continue to sustain that level of athletic activity in such a heavy body. He needs to drop 20 lb's or he's in trouble. IMO

Or it could be more like the 2008 draft where Derrick Rose breaks himself down to a shadow of himself cause he's a guard and Brook Lopez a 7 footer is still playing strong.
Smirk
Sixth Man
And1: 900

Post#44 » by Smirk » Mon May 18, 2020 4:02 pm

I truly feel like if the season had finished completely, Zion would have stolen it. He was just that good. On another level.

But he simply didn't play enough games. It is Ja's. And that's cool. Both are going to be great.

I think Zion will be on another level from everyone in the long run though.
lordjeff05
Starter
And1: 564

Post#45 » by lordjeff05 » Sat May 23, 2020 12:20 am

With the season stopped now I’m fine with Ja getting it, but Zion was a better playing in both advanced stats and old school counting stats.

The Pels were waaaaay better with him on the floor.

What I will say is that Jah was better in the clutch which backs up the idea that because he’s a ball handler he can affect the game in major ways.

However, I will say that it’s important to note that the Warriors are the only team since the Pistons to win a chip when their best player was the point guard and Jay’s size will be an impediment his entire career.

Granted he’s just a rook but Jrue shut him down as a bigger more aggressive defender and there will be more of that Type of defense in the playoffs.
Crizzle
Junior
And1: 421

Post#46 » by Crizzle » Sat May 23, 2020 2:00 am

lordjeff05 wrote:With the season stopped now I’m fine with Ja getting it, but Zion was a better playing in both advanced stats and old school counting stats.

What I will say is that Jah was better in the clutch which backs up the idea that because he’s a ball handler he can affect the game in major ways.

However, I will say that it’s important to note that the Warriors are the only team since the Pistons to win a chip when their best player was the point guard and Jay’s size will be an impediment his entire career.

Granted he’s just a rook but Jrue shut him down as a bigger more aggressive defender and there will be more of that Type of defense in the playoffs.

I feel JJJ has to max his potential and end up being the best of the two
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,977
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#47 » by NO-KG-AI » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 am

I wish the Grizz weren't such a good organization and we could have coaxed them into a trade for #2.

Or if the Lakers had gotten the #2 pick... I know I'm just being greedy :lol:
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,535

Post#48 » by Spens1 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:22 pm

Ja just based on the fact that he played the full season, Zion was injured for a fair bit and Ja led the Grizzlies to be a playoff contender, that in itself is very impressive.
MemphisX
Sixth Man
And1: 1,479

Post#49 » by MemphisX » Mon May 25, 2020 12:19 am

NO-KG-AI wrote:I wish the Grizz weren't such a good organization and we could have coaxed them into a trade for #2.

Or if the Lakers had gotten the #2 pick... I know I'm just being greedy :lol:

If Chris Wallace was still there, you might have had a chance.
lordjeff05
Starter
And1: 564

Post#50 » by lordjeff05 » Wed May 27, 2020 5:39 am

Crizzle wrote:
lordjeff05 wrote:With the season stopped now I’m fine with Ja getting it, but Zion was a better playing in both advanced stats and old school counting stats.

JJJ is a prototype big and I am as excited as anyone about his potential. Are you saying he has a chance to be better than Jah or Zion? I don’t see that but you never know. He gives me a Rasheed Wallace vibe in so far as he has the potential to be able to do everything on both ends of the court but I don’t know if I see him consistently taking over games like Jah and Zion.

I don’t think people realize how dominant Zion was this year. Go look up how many rooks had his average points per game . Not impressed because of the short year? Go look at how many games he got over 25 points a game and compare it to any rookie of the last 30 years. Don’t care about counting stats? Look at his net rating.

At every level of competition Zion has been doubted and has dominated.
Crizzle
Junior
And1: 421

Post#51 » by Crizzle » Wed May 27, 2020 6:48 pm

lordjeff05 wrote:
Crizzle wrote:

JJJ is a prototype big and I am as excited as anyone about his potential. Are you saying he has a chance to be better than Jah or Zion? I don’t see that but you never know. He gives me a Rasheed Wallace vibe in so far as he has the potential to be able to do everything on both ends of the court but I don’t know if I see him consistently taking over games like Jah and Zion.

I don’t think people realize how dominant Zion was this year. Go look up how many rooks had his average points per game . Not impressed because of the short year? Go look at how many games he got over 25 points a game and compare it to any rookie of the last 30 years. Don’t care about counting stats? Look at his net rating.

I think that if the grizzlies end up becoming true contenders, JJJ is gonna have to be the best player on the team. I think with his potential he will end up having more impact on winning than Ja. But thats just personal opinion
MemphisX
Sixth Man
And1: 1,479

Post#52 » by MemphisX » Thu May 28, 2020 5:00 am

lordjeff05 wrote:
Crizzle wrote:

My running comp for JJJ is Dirk. I see him blossoming into an elite scorer.
Soulyss
Head Coach
And1: 2,056

Post#53 » by Soulyss » Sat May 30, 2020 4:22 pm

Zion's peak is higher, but the body breaks down... Ja wins ROY and has the better, longer career.

Return to The General Board