Semi-OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread V (Read Post 1 & FAQ)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,899

Re: Semi-OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread V (Read Post 1 & FAQ) 

Post#21 » by MotownMadness » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:44 pm

flavio_93 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
Domejandro wrote:For a reputable source on COVID-19 statistics, I urge everyone to go to the website I will link below.
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Keep in mind that we have poor data because of limited testing, but as of this post....

351,731 Confirmed Cases
100,430 Full Recoveries
15,374 confirmed deaths

Current fatality rate is at 4.37%

That's a horrible high rate

That fatality rate is definitely not accurate lol

There is hundreds of thousands who are infected but haven’t been tested and are still alive with mild to no symptoms .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah thats what makes it hard for me to use a death rate percentage at the moment.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,300

Post#22 » by Domejandro » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:45 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
Domejandro wrote:For a reputable source on COVID-19 statistics, I urge everyone to go to the website I will link below.

Keep in mind that we have poor data because of limited testing, but as of this post....

351,731 Confirmed Cases
100,430 Full Recoveries
15,374 confirmed deaths

For what it is worth, an important note is that Italy being one of the highest impacted nations thus far may skew the fatality rate a small amount. Over 22% of the Italian population is over the age of 65, so their fatality rate is naturally higher than what would be expected (the fatality rate in Italy is a whopping 9.26%).

Another note is that the fatality rate cannot be reasonably projected because of how irresponsible most countries have been with testing. Given that those who get the virus often times are asymptomatic, it is unlikely that the fatality rate is that high.

That said, this is incredibly serious, and the risk should absolutely NOT be minimized. I just wanted to contextualize the statistic slightly. I am incredibly concerned about what happens when the demand for ventilators exceeds the capacity.
Cowbulls
Rookie
And1: 888

Post#23 » by Cowbulls » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:45 pm

flavio_93 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:

351,731 Confirmed Cases
100,430 Full Recoveries
15,374 confirmed deaths

There is hundreds of thousands who are infected but haven’t been tested and are still alive with mild to no symptoms .

Yep.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#24 » by LKN » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:58 pm

Amy Klobuchar's husband was hospitalized with COVID-19. Awful
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,496

Post#25 » by Dirk » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:02 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
spacemonkey wrote:The frontline medical workers dealing with this thing all over the world are amazing.

These people are our real heroes. They need our support.

The latest update from Italy is 21 doctors died.
https://www.ilgiorno.it/cremona/cronaca/coronavirus-medico-morto-1.5078491
First on the left, Dr. Leonardo Marchi, infectious disease doctor, latest to pass away
Spoiler:

There is a massive shortage of protection equipment which contributes to it.

HEALTH CARE workers infected in the total of cases
8% Italy 4.824 total
12% Spain 3.475 total (doctors, nurses, other workers)

Also in the US,
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

In the UK,
Read on Twitter
60/21/10
LKN
General Manager

Post#26 » by LKN » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:02 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
flavio_93 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:

Yeah thats what makes it hard for me to use a death rate percentage at the moment.

The case fatality rates are accurate by definition - but you have to understand what they are measuring. It's the % of people who have a confirmed diagnosis who die.

The infection fatality rate is much harder to determine because we'll never know how many people are infected (it's hard to determine with things like the flu as well).

What's probably more concerning than the CFR is the hospitalization rate......because that's really how COVID-19 is killing so many people in Italy. It's filling up all the hospital capacity which makes all cause mortality spike up (it's probably close to 30% higher in Italy right now).

IMO, the problem with COVID 19 is more how contagious it is than how deadly it is. It spreads very easily and has a longish incubation period. The most dangerous pandemics are not usually the diseases with super high mortality - because those diseases often kill too many of their hosts to spread super quickly.

In any case - this thing is MUCH more dangerous and deadly than influenza.
LKN
General Manager

Post#27 » by LKN » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,836

Post#28 » by basketballRob » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:

351,731 Confirmed Cases
100,430 Full Recoveries
15,374 confirmed deaths

For what it is worth, an important note is that Italy being one of the highest impacted nations thus far may skew the fatality rate a small amount. Over 22% of the Italian population is over the age of 65, so their fatality rate is naturally higher than what would be expected (the fatality rate in Italy is a whopping 9.26%).

Another note is that the fatality rate cannot be reasonably projected because of how irresponsible most countries have been with testing. Given that those who get the virus often times are asymptomatic, it is unlikely that the fatality rate is that high.

That said, this is incredibly serious, and the risk should absolutely NOT be minimized. I just wanted to contextualize the statistic slightly. I am incredibly concerned about what happens when the demand for ventilators exceeds the capacity.
In Florida where i live the population of seniors is 20.5%. We've had a really bad roll out of tests and so far only the very sick at hospitals have been tested.

It doesn't take a brain scientist to tell you this will be a disaster.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/FL/AGE775218

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#29 » by MotownMadness » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:11 pm

LKN wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
flavio_93 wrote:That fatality rate is definitely not accurate lol

The case fatality rates are accurate by definition - but you have to understand what they are measuring. It's the % of people who have a confirmed diagnosis who die.

The infection fatality rate is much harder to determine because we'll never know how many people are infected (it's hard to determine with things like the flu as well).

What's probably more concerning than the CFR is the hospitalization rate......because that's really how COVID-19 is killing so many people in Italy. It's filling up all the hospital capacity which makes all cause mortality spike up (it's probably close to 30% higher in Italy right now).

IMO, the problem with COVID 19 is more how contagious it is than how deadly it is. It spreads very easily and has a longish incubation period. The most dangerous pandemics are not usually the diseases with super high mortality - because those diseases often kill too many of their hosts to spread super quickly.

In any case - this thing is MUCH more dangerous and deadly than influenza.

Im just commenting on the actual fatality rate of the virus. Which that wouldn't be a accurate rate percentage cause there gotta be thousands of cases not accounted for.

That not to down play it or do the whole flu thing but just 4% death rate sounds scary and i dont think you have a 4%chance of dying.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#30 » by MotownMadness » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:13 pm

Michigan in a stay at home order now.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 27,300

Post#31 » by Domejandro » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:17 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Domejandro wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:

In Florida where i live the population of seniors is 20.5%. We've had a really bad roll out of tests and so far only the very sick at hospitals have been tested.

It doesn't take a brain scientist to tell you this will be a disaster.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/FL/AGE775218

Exactly, anyone minimizing this virus is completely misguided, this is an incredibly concerning situation.

EDIT: Changed my phrasing to be less hostile.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,131

Post#32 » by ItsDanger » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:21 pm

For those in the markets, Fed pushing unlimited QE including corporate bonds is not good. Robbery going on against the American people right under their noses.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#33 » by inquisitive » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Italy has a large elderly population and from my time vacationing there...many people there smoke just like in Spain.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,248

Post#34 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:26 pm

LKN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
There are several representatives, now Rand Paul, it's possible Klubuchar got infected, more congresspeople most likely will have to be hospitalized. This is not good for getting help out to our fellow citizens.
aka: prorl
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,912

Post#35 » by thelead » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
LKN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
There are several representatives, now Rand Paul, it's possible Klubuchar got infected, more congresspeople most likely will have to be hospitalized. This is not good for getting help out to our fellow citizens.

Congress needs to join the rest of the 21st century and allow remote voting.
spacemonkey
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,661

Post#36 » by spacemonkey » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:32 pm

inquisitive wrote:Italy has a large elderly population and from my time vacationing there...many people there smoke just like in Spain.

The two places hardest hit where we get most of our numbers (Italy and China), basically any man over 60 smoked *a lot*, hence the very high ratio of male to female deaths.
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,438

Post#37 » by Hornet Mania » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:33 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
LKN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I expect it will be a mixed blessing in that regard. When the leaders of a nation feel like they're in personal danger it can really concentrate all their minds on the extent of the problem. I don't wish the illness on anyone, but a few members of Congress (or their family members) on respirators will do more to motivate them to action than 1,000 near-death constituents.

We'll see if Amy "we can't afford that" Klobuchar changes her tune about government spending now that it's hitting close to home. I hope she is inspired to reconsider her stance on a number of issues.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#38 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:33 pm

thelead wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
LKN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Congress needs to join the rest of the 21st century and allow remote voting.

Indeed. If a time would require it this would be it. Can they be sensible about this and set this up right away?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#39 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Hornet Mania wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
LKN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I expect it will be a mixed blessing in that regard. When the leaders of a nation feel like they're in personal danger it can really concentrate all their minds on the extent of the problem. I don't wish the illness on anyone, but a few members of Congress (or their family members) on respirators will do more to motivate them to action than 1,000 near-death constituents.

It sounds horrific to think this way but its actually true. Look at the way Washington has dragged their feet for the last 2 weeks on getting out citizens medical and financial help. Some people wont act unfortunately until it happens to them. Come on Washington act now.
LKN
General Manager

Post#40 » by LKN » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:36 pm

Italy does have an older population (and possibly more smokers - haven't looked that up).

However, keep in mind that the US has higher obesity rates and more diabetes, etc. I wouldn't count on the health of the US population to make things better.

Return to The General Board