Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player

Moderators: PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, bwgood77, Dirk, Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus

User avatar
12footrim
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,006
And1: 2,140
Joined: Jul 09, 2012

Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#1 » by 12footrim » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:48 pm

come into the league in a quarter century plus since he has? I am a little actually even with the center position being more limited the last 5 or so years that's still a lot of time. I wouldn't have thought we would have seen another Shaq but at least someone that was 7 foot highly athletic and in the 280 range. It really doesn't even require a ton of shooting skill, just a catch and dunk guy that rebounds and blocks shots.

Who would even be the closest facsimile to Shaq the last 20 years? I can't even think of a 7 foot 280+ athletic player off the top of my head.

Zion might be the closest thing to weight and athletic ability and he's 6-6.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/25/21151896/zion-williamson-shaquille-oneal-pelicans-lakers
User avatar
Bandit King
Starter
Posts: 2,068
And1: 812
Joined: Oct 14, 2012

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#2 » by Bandit King » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Players don't even want to play center anymore esp. on the bulls
Paxson for GM for life!
bulliedog8
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,965
And1: 4,368
Joined: Jun 22, 2015
   

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#3 » by bulliedog8 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:50 pm

Giannis is the closest to Shaq
— 1+ game is more than a big enough sample size
BOLD PREDICTIONS
—Bulls 46 win 6 seed in the east, One of Nets, Celtics, Raptors Miss playoffs
—Wolves (dark horse for playoffs) 46-48 win season.
—No Cali teams make the WCFs
KokoKaizer
Pro Prospect
Posts: 821
And1: 666
Joined: Jan 26, 2012
Location: Lille, France
   

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#4 » by KokoKaizer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:52 pm

Shaq was one of a kind ! So...

Not surprised at all !
User avatar
12footrim
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,006
And1: 2,140
Joined: Jul 09, 2012

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#5 » by 12footrim » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:52 pm

bulliedog8 wrote:Giannis is the closest to Shaq


I think he's his own different kind of player and certainly a lot more skilled with the ball. Shaq was just pure size and athleticism as much as anything. It just surprises me in 25 years we haven't seen someone you could at least call a poor mans Shaq that was 7 foot 280+ like. Heck shaq was more 325 with the lakers and still athletic.
User avatar
12footrim
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,006
And1: 2,140
Joined: Jul 09, 2012

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#6 » by 12footrim » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:53 pm

KokoKaizer wrote:Shaq was one of a kind ! So...

Not surprised at all !


Certainly but to not even have a poor mans version in 25+ years I would have thought there would be someone at his size that was athletic. I can't think of anyone though.
TravisScott55
Pro Prospect
Posts: 857
And1: 1,446
Joined: Aug 23, 2017
   

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#7 » by TravisScott55 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:54 pm

We'll never seen players like Shaq and Iverson. They were freaks of nature.
AwkwardBoogaloo
Sophomore
Posts: 118
And1: 264
Joined: May 11, 2019
       

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#8 » by AwkwardBoogaloo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:57 pm

12footrim wrote:come into the league in a quarter century plus since he has? I am a little actually even with the center position being more limited the last 5 or so years that's still a lot of time. I wouldn't have thought we would have seen another Shaq but at least someone that was 7 foot highly athletic and in the 280 range. It really doesn't even require a ton of shooting skill, just a catch and dunk guy that rebounds and blocks shots.

Who would even be the closest facsimile to Shaq the last 20 years? I can't even think of a 7 foot 280+ athletic player off the top of my head.

Zion might be the closest thing to weight and athletic ability and he's 6-6.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/25/21151896/zion-williamson-shaquille-oneal-pelicans-lakers


Drummond is listed at 7' 275lbs. Obviously he's nowhere near as dominant as Shaq was, but probably the closest comparison in terms of size and athleticism.

EDIT: Prime Dwight is probably an even closer comparison
User avatar
12footrim
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,006
And1: 2,140
Joined: Jul 09, 2012

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#9 » by 12footrim » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:57 pm

AwkwardBoogaloo wrote:
12footrim wrote:come into the league in a quarter century plus since he has? I am a little actually even with the center position being more limited the last 5 or so years that's still a lot of time. I wouldn't have thought we would have seen another Shaq but at least someone that was 7 foot highly athletic and in the 280 range. It really doesn't even require a ton of shooting skill, just a catch and dunk guy that rebounds and blocks shots.

Who would even be the closest facsimile to Shaq the last 20 years? I can't even think of a 7 foot 280+ athletic player off the top of my head.

Zion might be the closest thing to weight and athletic ability and he's 6-6.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/2/25/21151896/zion-williamson-shaquille-oneal-pelicans-lakers


Drummond is listed at 7' 275lbs. Obviously he's nowhere near as dominant as Shaq was, but probably the closest comparison in terms of size and athleticism.




Embid, Drummond, Dwight Howard I guess would be somewhat but they really are a lot smaller. Drummond is like 6-10

Whiteside? I think I would actually go with Whiteside as the player most like Shaq the last 25 years. He's still skinny though 265, maybe a rookie shaq.
User avatar
druggas
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,803
And1: 2,719
Joined: Dec 27, 2007

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#10 » by druggas » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:07 pm

How many years between Wilt's arrival and Shaq's?
User avatar
macNcheese3
General Manager
Posts: 8,904
And1: 5,158
Joined: Jul 04, 2015
 

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#11 » by macNcheese3 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:08 pm

Shaq is a legend. They don't make guys like him anymore.
bringWallyBack
Junior
Posts: 448
And1: 297
Joined: Jul 12, 2013

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#12 » by bringWallyBack » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Wasn't Sofoklis Schortsanitis considered to be a Greek mini Shaq?



Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
Orin
Pro Prospect
Posts: 936
And1: 1,785
Joined: Mar 06, 2015
Location: France
 

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#13 » by Orin » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:12 pm

12footrim wrote:
bulliedog8 wrote:Giannis is the closest to Shaq


I think he's his own different kind of player and certainly a lot more skilled with the ball. Shaq was just pure size and athleticism as much as anything. It just surprises me in 25 years we haven't seen someone you could at least call a poor mans Shaq that was 7 foot 280+ like. Heck shaq was more 325 with the lakers and still athletic.


Shaq was incredibly skilled, he was not just size and athleticism.

Guys like DeAndre Jordan, JaVale McGee are exemples of players with just size and athleticism, not Shaq.
TheGr81 wrote:I think he [Wilt] had similar athleticism, skill level and basketball IQ as Javale McGee
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,547
And1: 6,433
Joined: Jul 15, 2009

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#14 » by Michael Jordan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:15 pm

Shaq's combination of size, skill, and athleticism is extremely rare. People used to call Dwight the next Shaq in his early years but his skill level was never reached
Yallbecrazy
Analyst
Posts: 3,268
And1: 3,263
Joined: Nov 25, 2013

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#15 » by Yallbecrazy » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:18 pm

Ahem, Glen Davis?
Nathan Jawai?

Both were Shaq clones, physically and ability wise.
User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 14,847
And1: 6,513
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#16 » by Optms » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:20 pm

bulliedog8 wrote:Giannis is the closest to Shaq


And yet he is still not even in the same stratosphere.
kobe_vs_jordan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,861
And1: 2,283
Joined: Jan 07, 2012
Location: Atl
   

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#17 » by kobe_vs_jordan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:24 pm

Seeing another Shaq is like seeing another Wilt. Zion might be the closest as far as brute power goes.
User avatar
12footrim
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,006
And1: 2,140
Joined: Jul 09, 2012

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#18 » by 12footrim » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:25 pm

Orin wrote:
12footrim wrote:
bulliedog8 wrote:Giannis is the closest to Shaq


I think he's his own different kind of player and certainly a lot more skilled with the ball. Shaq was just pure size and athleticism as much as anything. It just surprises me in 25 years we haven't seen someone you could at least call a poor mans Shaq that was 7 foot 280+ like. Heck shaq was more 325 with the lakers and still athletic.


Shaq was incredibly skilled, he was not just size and athleticism.

Guys like DeAndre Jordan, JaVale McGee are exemples of players with just size and athleticism, not Shaq.


He couldn't shoot past 5 feet which was the skills I was referring too. He basically overpowered people and dunked or shot a hook shot on offense. He could pass and dribble well for a guy his size though.
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 37,163
And1: 8,541
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#19 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:26 pm

We don't even see 7'1 300+ pound guys very often, even if you take out the qualifier that he has to be a super freak athlete like Shaq. Just getting a guy with the height and the humongous frame is already super rare.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
User avatar
Beethoven
Veteran
Posts: 2,634
And1: 905
Joined: May 03, 2012
Location: Utopian Dystopia
 

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#20 » by Beethoven » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:28 pm

Cousins perhaps was the closest thing to resembling Shaq's game.
Kobe Bryant forever

Return to The General Board