Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,519

Re: Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#201 » by dhsilv2 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:19 am

DS17 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
LascelleL wrote:
Fam. Dwight was so bad that he helped end the Kobe/Shaq beef. Kobe saw first hand the difference between a Shaq and a Big man with Athleticism.

When? Kobe saw a big man who spent a year struggling with serious back issues and didn't look like a shadow of himself. Who was this athletic big man Kobe saw?

So your arguing that even if Dwight is healthy he has an array of reliable post moves? Get out of here man.

I'm stating Kobe never played with a healthy at all dwight. He never saw the DPOY level player. He saw a guy who struggled to get back on the floor and was clearly hurt the whole time he was.
NPZ
Analyst
And1: 2,505

Post#202 » by NPZ » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:16 am

KokoKaizer wrote:Shaq was one of a kind ! So...

Not surprised at all !

He was every bit as unique as Muggsey. There have been short guys like Muggsey and big guys (even fat Cs) who were at Shaq's weight, but they lacked everything else he had, including a decent amount of finesse which was always treated as a fluke when he showed it. He was also a helluva lot sturdier than given credit for. There was a subset of Laker fans who hated him for many reasons and drummed up his gout condition and lack of training, but compare Shaq's productive years to Greg Oden, Sam Bowie, or Bill Walton's (or any Blazer center). Not even comparable.

Two of his most major injuries were from a hack a Shaq on his thumb by Matt Geiger when Shaq was in Orlando and by landing on an opponent's foot in his first year in LA which screwed up his knee. He was even sent back out for 5 more trips up court in that game and he ran and dunked twice before he started feeling the pain. Game was in Minnesota and iirc it was their team doctor who said Shaq was good to go back out there (which he wasn't). Lakers didn't have one on duty that night iirc. The landing was grotesque. The toe of his shoe came down perfectly on the heel of a jobber for the TWolves named Dean Garrett and his knee hyperextended backwards. If you watched it, you grabbed your bollz in pain. He had surgery and a cast/wheelchair in-season and still came back for the playoffs after 30 gms. He just went right back to his level of dominance. In 98, he came up with a stomach muscle tear or partial tear after a driving layup vs Minny at The Forum. That might've been his only prime years injury that was caused by conditioning, but even that's a who knows. Fit players can get those as well and can be continuous problematic conditions, but he missed 22 gms and never had another. He had a gout like/turf toe thing at the start of 2002/03 that lasted 15 or so gms.
NPZ's Definitive Magic Johnson highlight reel

49, 50, 52, 53, 54, 72, 80, 82, 85, 87, 88, 00, 01, 02, 09, 10, 20
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#203 » by LakerLegend » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:55 am

Oden is probably the closest to come out since Shaq, shame he couldn't stay healthy.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,293

Post#204 » by Black Jack » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:04 am

Zion is the only guy with Shaq level athleticism as a short big man. Of course Shaq was half a foot taller....and it took until zion for someone to be in the same neighborhood as an athletic bulky guy. That tells you how rare Shaq was.

As for Robinson, I mean come on. I walked out of a bathroom one time and D-Rob was walking towards it. He's a beanpole. There's just no way to compare him and Shaq.

Some of the other names being dropped are hilarious. Fortson? :D I do agree Whiteside is similar playing style wise, but clearly not as athletic.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,009

Post#205 » by HMFFL » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:08 am

LakerLegend wrote:Oden is probably the closest to come out since Shaq, shame he couldn't stay healthy.
Can you elaborate? Because, I don't think Greg Oden is a good comparison at all.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Sir-Swish-A-Lot
Senior
And1: 499

Post#206 » by Sir-Swish-A-Lot » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:08 am

Nope. Shaq was a physical anomaly just like Wilt Chamberlain. We have never seen another Wilt The Stilt either.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#207 » by Lalouie » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:33 am

there's been only three such physical behemoths,,,shaq, wilt, and lebron, so no i'm not surprised. and since players adapt to the zeitgeist we won't be seeing such a player for a long long longer time. there might be another lebron type, but no center type.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,725

Post#208 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:26 am

Wilt, Shaq, Kareem all major impact bigs. It's like once ever 15-20 years.

Guys that shift how the game is played.
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#209 » by MrPerfect1 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:02 am

bearadonisdna wrote:There were probably a lot of shaqs that fell through the cracks because the league went away from interior post play.

Bigs league wide only seem as valuable as their perimeter skill.
Today shaq may not be as useful as in in the past.

It is the opposite. Shaq would be so dominant it would almost be criminal. The Bulls for example typically carried 3 different 7 footers on their roster just to rotate in against Shaq. Teams today would find it impossible to go small ball because it would be a dunk each possession for Shaq. He would foul out the opposing team's starting C and then would laugh at a 6'8 guy trying to guard him. Kawhi would load manage any game Shaq was in lol.

As far as Defense, the Bucks have an Elite Defense with Brook Lopez. I am pretty sure Shaq would be very viable if Lopez can be.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Anyone else surprised that we haven't seen another Shaq like player 

Post#210 » by NO-KG-AI » Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:08 am

Not really. There are very few guys that are even his size to begin with. Just the odds of that alone are astronomical, but for them also to be an elite, explosive athlete on top of that? So much has to go right.

There are a ton of 6’7 guys in the world(estimated 130,000 in the US alone). There are only an estimated 2800 people in the entire world above 7’.(28 in the US alone) Not surprising that there aren’t any people that are genetic freaks in terms of girth and athleticism in such a small pool.

Honestly, even that estimate is high, because it uses listed heights from recruiting sites and the NBA, where a lot of those 7’ guys are really 6’10.5 lol.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
70sFan
RealGM
And1: 23,508

Post#211 » by 70sFan » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:30 am

How many players have we had in NBA history that were similat to Shaq in terms of physique and athleticism? I can count two - Wilt Chamberlain and Artis Gilmore and neither one is identical to him.

Wilt was drafted in 1959.
Artis was drafted in 1971.
Shaq was drafted in 1992.

That's all throughout 1950-2020 history.
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#212 » by Justwar » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:18 pm

70sFan wrote:How many players have we had in NBA history that were similat to Shaq in terms of physique and athleticism? I can count two - Wilt Chamberlain and Artis Gilmore and neither one is identical to him.

Not reading this entire thing but if oden had normal leg length thus no injuries, he would have been one of the top 3 greatest big defenders. 7'0 285 min. Bynum had the frame but wasn't crazy athletic. But even then if oden and Bynum stayed healthy the small ball era is way different
Justwar
Rookie
And1: 222

Post#213 » by Justwar » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:19 pm

70sFan wrote:How many players have we had in NBA history that were similat to Shaq in terms of physique and athleticism? I can count two - Wilt Chamberlain and Artis Gilmore and neither one is identical to him.

Also a shame we never saw healthy sabonis, he was a freak. Most of your freak big guys get hurt.
GregOden
Starter
And1: 2,499

Post#214 » by GregOden » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:43 pm

12footrim wrote:
bulliedog8 wrote:Giannis is the closest to Shaq

I think he's his own different kind of player and certainly a lot more skilled with the ball. Shaq was just pure size and athleticism as much as anything. It just surprises me in 25 years we haven't seen someone you could at least call a poor mans Shaq that was 7 foot 280+ like. Heck shaq was more 325 with the lakers and still athletic.

In this you are wrong. Shaq was incredibly skilled and could face up, handle the ball, do crossovers, spin moves, and drive and shoot floaters and finish with finger rolls. Shaq played the way he played because that's what the league and coaches wanted of him. In today's game there's no way he would just stand under the basket and dunk, he would definitely have a much more leeway in ways of facing up.
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#215 » by LakerLegend » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:45 am

HMFFL wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:Oden is probably the closest to come out since Shaq, shame he couldn't stay healthy.
Can you elaborate? Because, I don't think Greg Oden is a good comparison at all.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Combo of size and physical ability, Oden had hops, power, and was very light on his feet:

Return to The General Board