Worst Championship Team Since 2007?

Moderators: PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, bwgood77, Dirk, Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus

Worst Championship Team Since 2007?

2007 Spurs
22
9%
2008 Celtics
9
4%
2010 Lakers
36
14%
2011 Mavericks
50
20%
2015 Warriors
32
13%
2019 Raptors
89
35%
Other
13
5%
 
Total votes: 251

Firespo
Junior
Posts: 401
And1: 487
Joined: Apr 12, 2019

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#121 » by Firespo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:13 pm

metafisical wrote:2019 Raps are one of the greatest of all time. The Raps playoff run was among the best runs in all of sports history.

Lmao keep telling yourself this rap fans :lol:

The sixers were beyond a mess, jimmy butler even said how dysfunctional that Sixers team was. They only got as far as they did by talent alone

And im sorry but I dont see the bucks or giannis as a successful playoff team/playoff performer. If we have a playoffs this year the bucks will show everyone that they are a dominant regular season team but a mediocre playoff team. Giannis will struggle after the 2nd round.
Slim Charlez
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,719
And1: 1,702
Joined: Jan 15, 2017
   

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#122 » by Slim Charlez » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:34 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I don't know if the 2007 Spurs on paper were overrated, but their actual playoff run definitely is. That was the year the Suns were going to win the title until Robert Horry gooned his way into getting Amare and Boris Diaw suspended on an absolutely absurd technicality that the NBA somehow managed to uphold. From the 2nd round in the West onward, they basically had one of the easiest waltzes to a title in the modern era. A 51-win Jazz team with 22-year old Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer as their best players, then swept a mediocre Cavs team in the Finals.

The Mavs losing against an 8th seed Warriors team really exposed how much of a down year 06-07 was for the league. You basically had two legit championship teams after that (PHX, SAS) and the Spurs were basically the last one standing, with a little help from a dumb, obscure rule that the league later clarified/adjusted.


Love how this has now become fact when in reality the Spurs main rival for the title that year was Dallas. Let's forget that the Spurs consistently spanked the Suns and we're just a horrible match up for them before that Dragic series when the Spurs were done, or that Pop consistently has had D'antonis number.

I wonder how many people that continue to push this blatant lie that the Suns were finally going to win the title actually remember the series at all because as a Spurs fan I never ever ever ever feared the Suns but hey according to Realgm they were robbed of the title that year against Duncan, Ginobili or Parker all in their prime so what do I know.
User avatar
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
Posts: 22,996
And1: 26,201
Joined: Jun 27, 2002
   

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#123 » by Duffman100 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:35 pm

Firespo wrote:
metafisical wrote:2019 Raps are one of the greatest of all time. The Raps playoff run was among the best runs in all of sports history.

Lmao keep telling yourself this rap fans :lol:

The sixers were beyond a mess, jimmy butler even said how dysfunctional that Sixers team was. They only got as far as they did by talent alone

And im sorry but I dont see the bucks or giannis as a successful playoff team/playoff performer. If we have a playoffs this year the bucks will show everyone that they are a dominant regular season team but a mediocre playoff team. Giannis will struggle after the 2nd round.


:lol: :lol:

So the Raps, Bucks and 76ers were all meh teams in 2019.

Hitting all 3 fanbases at once.
User avatar
Ron Swanson
RealGM
Posts: 14,633
And1: 9,993
Joined: May 15, 2013

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#124 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Slim Charlez wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I don't know if the 2007 Spurs on paper were overrated, but their actual playoff run definitely is. That was the year the Suns were going to win the title until Robert Horry gooned his way into getting Amare and Boris Diaw suspended on an absolutely absurd technicality that the NBA somehow managed to uphold. From the 2nd round in the West onward, they basically had one of the easiest waltzes to a title in the modern era. A 51-win Jazz team with 22-year old Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer as their best players, then swept a mediocre Cavs team in the Finals.

The Mavs losing against an 8th seed Warriors team really exposed how much of a down year 06-07 was for the league. You basically had two legit championship teams after that (PHX, SAS) and the Spurs were basically the last one standing, with a little help from a dumb, obscure rule that the league later clarified/adjusted.


Love how this has now become fact when in reality the Spurs main rival for the title that year was Dallas. Let's forget that the Spurs consistently spanked the Suns and we're just a horrible match up for them before that Dragic series when the Spurs were done, or that Pop consistently has had D'antonis number.

I wonder how many people that continue to push this blatant lie that the Suns were finally going to win the title actually remember the series at all because as a Spurs fan I never ever ever ever feared the Suns but hey according to Realgm they were robbed of the title that year against Duncan, Ginobili or Parker all in their prime so what do I know.


Maybe the Spurs still win Game 5 in PHX, but Amare was an absolute monster in that series and they only won game 5 in reality by one possession, so I doubt it. That Pop "had D'Antoni's number" doesn't really mean anything in a series where the Suns actually outscored them over 6 games, even with the suspensions. That the Mavs getting handled by an 8th seed but saying that they were the Spurs biggest rivals kinda just proves my point about the competition they had to face outside of PHX.
User avatar
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
Posts: 11,113
And1: 2,839
Joined: Mar 01, 2005
 

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#125 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:59 pm

Pennebaker wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
You must still be bitter, but the 2016 Cavs had LeBron, Kyrie and Love and defeated a 73 win team. They went to the Finals for 4 consecutive years. They dominated their conference every year like clockwork. Far from a worst championship team contender.


They were the 4th or 5th best team in the NBA. Beating an injured team and playing in a weak conference doesn't make them top 3 that season.

The Raptors on the other hand deserved it. Easily a top 3 team.


Based on what? They had LeBron and they were healthy in the playoffs. Their performance before that or their record didn't matter. It never mattered in any of those 4 seasons. With LeBron and that team healthy in the playoffs there isn't going to be more than 1 team better than them. Maybe 1. That year none.

Imo, if the Thunder advanced to the Finals that season instead of the Warriors the Cavs still would've won, and sooner. No other team had the ability to challenge them like the Warriors.



The Warrior were lucky to get past the Thunder. It took a lot of blown call to beat them and it took an injured Curry and Iguodala for the Cavs to beat the Warriors.

Surs we're also a much better team. A healthy Spurs, Thunder or Warriors would steam roll the Cavs.

Anything else is revising history.

"Having LeBron" isn't enough, and Love is a net negative. That team was on the same level as the Clippers.

Edit: the 2018-19 Raptors would also steam roll that Cavs team. I don't dock them for injuries because they were capable of beating a healthy Warriors team. Injuries just happen. That Cavs team was just in the right place at the right time, though.
PockyCandy wrote:Is Ball's shot any more ugly than Curry's? Curry just seems to launch it towards the basket like an 8 year old.
Stan
Freshman
Posts: 81
And1: 90
Joined: Oct 11, 2019

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#126 » by Stan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:08 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
They were the 4th or 5th best team in the NBA. Beating an injured team and playing in a weak conference doesn't make them top 3 that season.

The Raptors on the other hand deserved it. Easily a top 3 team.


Based on what? They had LeBron and they were healthy in the playoffs. Their performance before that or their record didn't matter. It never mattered in any of those 4 seasons. With LeBron and that team healthy in the playoffs there isn't going to be more than 1 team better than them. Maybe 1. That year none.

Imo, if the Thunder advanced to the Finals that season instead of the Warriors the Cavs still would've won, and sooner. No other team had the ability to challenge them like the Warriors.



The Warrior were lucky to get past the Thunder. It took a lot of blown call to beat them and it took an injured Curry and Iguodala for the Cavs to beat the Warriors.

Surs we're also a much better team. A healthy Spurs, Thunder or Warriors would steam roll the Cavs.

Anything else is revising history.

"Having LeBron" isn't enough, and Love is a net negative. That team was on the same level as the Clippers.

Edit: the 2018-19 Raptors would also steam roll that Cavs team. I don't dock them for injuries because they were capable of beating a healthy Warriors team. Injuries just happen. That Cavs team was just in the right place at the right time, though.

If anyone is revising history, it's definitely you. A team with the best player in the world AND 2 all-stars is getting "steamrolled" by all these teams? Ok bro :lol:
User avatar
Deivork
Pro Prospect
Posts: 786
And1: 538
Joined: Apr 26, 2013
Location: Cyberspace
   

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#127 » by Deivork » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:28 pm

What? Some of the options are some of the best championships since '07!
And no Heat titles?
Kobe Bryant, 2008: "Have a good time. Life is too short to get bogged down and be discouraged.

You have to keep moving. You have to keep going. Put one foot in front of the other, smile and just keep on rolling. "
User avatar
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
Posts: 11,113
And1: 2,839
Joined: Mar 01, 2005
 

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#128 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:32 pm

Stan wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
Based on what? They had LeBron and they were healthy in the playoffs. Their performance before that or their record didn't matter. It never mattered in any of those 4 seasons. With LeBron and that team healthy in the playoffs there isn't going to be more than 1 team better than them. Maybe 1. That year none.

Imo, if the Thunder advanced to the Finals that season instead of the Warriors the Cavs still would've won, and sooner. No other team had the ability to challenge them like the Warriors.



The Warrior were lucky to get past the Thunder. It took a lot of blown call to beat them and it took an injured Curry and Iguodala for the Cavs to beat the Warriors.

Surs we're also a much better team. A healthy Spurs, Thunder or Warriors would steam roll the Cavs.

Anything else is revising history.

"Having LeBron" isn't enough, and Love is a net negative. That team was on the same level as the Clippers.

Edit: the 2018-19 Raptors would also steam roll that Cavs team. I don't dock them for injuries because they were capable of beating a healthy Warriors team. Injuries just happen. That Cavs team was just in the right place at the right time, though.

If anyone is revising history, it's definitely you. A team with the best player in the world AND 2 all-stars is getting "steamrolled" by all these teams? Ok bro :lol:



"Best player in the world"

You mean 5th best player that season, Kyrie Irving and the shell of Kevin Love?

Yeah, that team gets steam rolled by a healthy 73 win Warriors, a healthy 67 win Spurs and the Thunder (who were arguably the best when healthy).

I'm sure a healthy Kawhi, a healthy Durant, and a healthy Iguodala would match up perfectly against your "best player in the world"

LeBron/Irving/Love peaked at Rockets/Clippers level.

They were at best the fourth best in that season. Play in a week conference long enough and you'll find yourself at the right place the right time.
PockyCandy wrote:Is Ball's shot any more ugly than Curry's? Curry just seems to launch it towards the basket like an 8 year old.
Stan
Freshman
Posts: 81
And1: 90
Joined: Oct 11, 2019

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#129 » by Stan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:46 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Stan wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

The Warrior were lucky to get past the Thunder. It took a lot of blown call to beat them and it took an injured Curry and Iguodala for the Cavs to beat the Warriors.

Surs we're also a much better team. A healthy Spurs, Thunder or Warriors would steam roll the Cavs.

Anything else is revising history.

"Having LeBron" isn't enough, and Love is a net negative. That team was on the same level as the Clippers.

Edit: the 2018-19 Raptors would also steam roll that Cavs team. I don't dock them for injuries because they were capable of beating a healthy Warriors team. Injuries just happen. That Cavs team was just in the right place at the right time, though.

If anyone is revising history, it's definitely you. A team with the best player in the world AND 2 all-stars is getting "steamrolled" by all these teams? Ok bro :lol:



"Best player in the world"

You mean 5th best player that season, Kyrie Irving and the shell of Kevin Love?

Yeah, that team gets steam rolled by a healthy 73 win Warriors, a healthy 67 win Spurs and the Thunder (who were arguably the best when healthy).

LeBron/Irving/Love peaked at Rockets/Clippers level.

Image

If you think there were actually 4 players better than LeBron that season, I don't know what to tell ya
rtiff68
Junior
Posts: 284
And1: 343
Joined: May 25, 2019

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#130 » by rtiff68 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:55 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
Just because the Raptors beat the Warriors without KD doesn't mean they "cheaped out" on a championship. Warriors with KD were considered one of the most stacked teams of all time and were still actually favoured to win by a majority without him. Yes, Klay got hurt too but the Raptors dominated most of the series with him playing too.

Raptors beat the Sixers and Bucks who most would consider one of the hardest paths to a NBA finals. Do Lebron's titles mean nothing because he was always able to sleep to a Finals appearance year after year? I'd argue that no team in the East had to go through 2 better teams in recent memory.

Raptors lost their best player (Kawhi), who many consider the best player in the NBA, and still have the 3rd best record right now. How many other teams from this list can do that? Either that means Kawhi is overrated or the Raptors cast is underrated. You can pick which one that is...


You make good points, except for the italicized/emboldened statement.

C’mon, now.


You don't think Philly and the Bucks were stacked last year? Everyone was talking about how the East never had 4 championship calibre teams in the same year before (Raps/Bucks/Sixers/Celtics). The following are championship calibre rosters whether you want to argue they lived up to expectations or not.

Simmons/ Redick/ Butler/ Harris/ Embiid
Bledsoe/ Brodgan/ Middleton/ Giannis/ Lopez
Kyrie/ Brown/ Tatum/ Hayward/ Horford


People questioning the legitimacy of the Raptors title (or anyone's title, for that matter) due to injuries are being ridiculous.

That said, it's almost equally hyperbolic to say that "most would consider one of the hardest paths to the NBA Finals." They don't even have an argument for "hardest path in the OP's 6 team poll"-- that is the 2011 Mavs pretty easily, IMO.
Tor_Raps
Analyst
Posts: 3,576
And1: 4,987
Joined: Oct 14, 2018

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#131 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:03 pm

rtiff68 wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
rtiff68 wrote:
You make good points, except for the italicized/emboldened statement.

C’mon, now.


You don't think Philly and the Bucks were stacked last year? Everyone was talking about how the East never had 4 championship calibre teams in the same year before (Raps/Bucks/Sixers/Celtics). The following are championship calibre rosters whether you want to argue they lived up to expectations or not.

Simmons/ Redick/ Butler/ Harris/ Embiid
Bledsoe/ Brodgan/ Middleton/ Giannis/ Lopez
Kyrie/ Brown/ Tatum/ Hayward/ Horford


People questioning the legitimacy of the Raptors title (or anyone's title, for that matter) due to injuries are being ridiculous.

That said, it's almost equally hyperbolic to say that "most would consider one of the hardest paths to the NBA Finals." They don't even have an argument for "hardest path in the OP's 6 team poll"-- that is the 2011 Mavs pretty easily, IMO.


Agreed the mavs had it the harder but doesnt change the fact the Raptors had it very hard. It wasnt a cake walk to the finals and then getting lucky with injuries like the 2015 warriors.
shakes0
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,641
And1: 1,778
Joined: Jul 14, 2017
Location: Chicago
       

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#132 » by shakes0 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm

Texas Chuck wrote:This is not going to end well.



Do you know what they call the person who graduates last in his class in medical school?

Answer: Doctor



In other words, no one should take offense to their team being slighted in this thread. Every team in here is still forever referred to as "champions"
Noctilux
Junior
Posts: 416
And1: 544
Joined: May 02, 2018
   

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#133 » by Noctilux » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:37 pm

Last year's Raptors and its not even close.
User avatar
Anticon
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,782
And1: 2,731
Joined: Dec 16, 2004

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#134 » by Anticon » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:40 pm

Firespo wrote:
metafisical wrote:2019 Raps are one of the greatest of all time. The Raps playoff run was among the best runs in all of sports history.

Lmao keep telling yourself this rap fans :lol:

The sixers were beyond a mess, jimmy butler even said how dysfunctional that Sixers team was. They only got as far as they did by talent alone

And im sorry but I dont see the bucks or giannis as a successful playoff team/playoff performer. If we have a playoffs this year the bucks will show everyone that they are a dominant regular season team but a mediocre playoff team. Giannis will struggle after the 2nd round.


It's incredible logic, your opponents are weak because you were good enough to beat them. The Bucks have that rep because the Raptors beat them. They were 10-1 in the playoffs until Toronto figured them out and they lost four in a row.
User avatar
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
Posts: 11,113
And1: 2,839
Joined: Mar 01, 2005
 

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#135 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:41 pm

Stan wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
Stan wrote:If anyone is revising history, it's definitely you. A team with the best player in the world AND 2 all-stars is getting "steamrolled" by all these teams? Ok bro :lol:



"Best player in the world"

You mean 5th best player that season, Kyrie Irving and the shell of Kevin Love?

Yeah, that team gets steam rolled by a healthy 73 win Warriors, a healthy 67 win Spurs and the Thunder (who were arguably the best when healthy).

LeBron/Irving/Love peaked at Rockets/Clippers level.

Image

If you think there were actually 4 players better than LeBron that season, I don't know what to tell ya



MVP Votes: 0
Box Stat Leader: 0
Advanced Stat Leader: 0

And it was the 2nd lowest scoring and 3 point shooting season of his career. Only has rookie season was worse.

Oh, and the Cavs had the 4th highest SRS that season. The three teams in front of them? Thunder, Warriors and Spurs.


And what 4 championship teams have the worst SRS since 2006? Mavs(2011), Lakers (2010), Heat (2006) and Cavs (2016)

That's weird, that's the exact list I had earlier. Now I have the numbers back it up. How very, very odd.

And those four teams are the only four teams since 2006 to win championships without being top three and SRS. Just like I said earlier. Hmmm.
PockyCandy wrote:Is Ball's shot any more ugly than Curry's? Curry just seems to launch it towards the basket like an 8 year old.
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 16,926
And1: 13,992
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#136 » by mademan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:52 pm

Raps are one of the best Non-KD Warriors winners in recent history. Ya'll dont keep the same energy with your critiques about the raps when you talk about other winners.

To the thread though, probably the 2010 Lakers.
sean1913
Sophomore
Posts: 151
And1: 37
Joined: Jun 29, 2016
     

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#137 » by sean1913 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:02 pm

obvious. if the GSW were healthy it was a sweep...yes. a sweep with everyone in. no way that team could win against that monster AT ALL
all the talent in the world and no heart equals nada
mademan
RealGM
Posts: 16,926
And1: 13,992
Joined: Feb 18, 2010

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#138 » by mademan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:03 pm

sean1913 wrote:obvious. if the GSW were healthy it was a sweep...yes. a sweep with everyone in. no way that team could win against that monster AT ALL


And if the 2015 Cavs were healthy, they beat that W's squad too. Raps are by far the first team to win because 1 opponent had injuries. Many of the title winners of the past years enjoyed an injury advantage
User avatar
Adrian_05
RealGM
Posts: 17,270
And1: 4,573
Joined: Aug 22, 2012
     

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#139 » by Adrian_05 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:09 pm

Bucks went from "probably only team that has a shot to beat the warriors" to "dont see them having a lot of playoff success" once the Raps beat them lol
Dloading24
Sophomore
Posts: 184
And1: 177
Joined: Jan 13, 2016
     

Re: Worst Championship Team Since 2007? 

Post#140 » by Dloading24 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:16 pm

I think its wrong how some people are looking at this, as they are viewing some teams over their single champion season. Most championship teams remain in contention over multiple years thus shouldn't be viewed by their one-off ship. That's why most people would point to Mavs or Raps championship as the weakest, as they were not able to sustain excellence over multiple years. Spurs 07 might have been an easy title run, but they had been a championship team that was kept relatively the same over the course of 05-07, it would be in-correct to just view them from the one ship as it was basically the same team that had won the ship in 05 (only different by like 1-2 rotational players). Same goes for the 08 Celts that if not for KG injury in 09 would have probably gone to the finals 3 straight times. Same with the lakers 10 teams that was basically the championship team from 09 (didn't even make the list) to suddenly in contention one of the worst championship teams because they swapped Ariza for Artest? 15 warriors were basically a team that was able to go 73-9 next season and 1 game from a championship. That just leave Mavs and Raps. My pick is the Raps as the Mavs went through a gauntlet with difficult opponents each round
"Is that a trick question? They gave up Kwamay Brown, WHO CARES?!....Number two and more importantly KWAMAY BROWN is gone. The city of Angles, Hollywood, should be celebrating. Throw a parade already whether you win a championship or not"

Return to The General Board