Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons

Moderators: PockyCandy, Prez, ken6199, bwgood77, Dirk, Domejandro, jamaalstar21, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus

User avatar
Rock Hardy
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,785
And1: 1,693
Joined: Jul 24, 2013
Location: 305 worldwide
       

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#81 » by Rock Hardy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:39 pm

I think GMs still gravitate to height, so:

1. AD - he's tall, and was a very complete player
2. Oden - he was a phenom in college
3. Simmons - I think the prospect of a big PG is just more alluring than...
4. Zion - excellent, but shorter than the other 3, and generally short for his position, whereas all the other 3 are tall for their positions

I think you draft potential, and I think Ben coming out of college looked to have more potential than Zion. Oden had massive hype coming out of college. I think that's been forgotten with time, and the fact that his career never got to where it could have been due to injury.
Image
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 37,163
And1: 8,541
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Greg Oden, athletic freak?!? 

Post#82 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:40 pm

Najee12 wrote:
SOdisciple wrote:I think what Portland was focusing on was that they had a 7-foot freak-of-nature athlete with incredible defensive instincts that hadn't lost a home game since middle school ready to anchor their defense for the next decade. Injuries suck.


There was nothing freakishly athletic about Greg Oden, in terms of NBA standards.



Shaquille O'Neal was freakishly athletic, especially given his width and strength. David Robinson was like a seven-foot small forward -- that is an example of freakishly athletic. Hakeem Olajuwon was freakishly athletic with his size and hand/foot coordination. Ralph Sampson was another freakishly athletic big man. In today's NBA, Giannis Antetokounmpo would be an athletic freak. Anthony Davis is uncommonly athletic for a big man.

Oden wasn't in the same class athletically as younger DeAndre Jordan or Javale McGee who have exceptional leaping ability for big men. Oden was more along the lines of a more burly, less athletic Andre Drummond. Oden literally lumbered down the court; the only time he showed any sense of athleticism is when he tried to do a chin-up after he dunked. Oden was more like Erick Dampier, if anything.

As much as people on these boards love to talk about how today's emphasis on 3-point shooting, small ball play, positionless basketball and switching defenses has diminished the value of big men, Oden could have even less value than Drummond and Whiteside. Oden had no semblance of an outside game and little if any low-post game. He certainly had no quickness for switching on defense. He probably would be even more foul prone in today's NBA, if that is possible.


Oden had a higher vertical than both McGee and Jordan, and was substantially stronger and more powerful. He wasn't in the class of Shaq or Robinson or Hakeem as athletic packages, but he was probably in the next tier down. Jordan and McGee are literally only good at jumping, and neither recorded the vertical that a healthy, young Oden did.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 37,163
And1: 8,541
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#83 » by NO-KG-AI » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:42 pm

Rock Hardy wrote:I think GMs still gravitate to height, so:

1. AD - he's tall, and was a very complete player
2. Oden - he was a phenom in college
3. Simmons - I think the prospect of a big PG is just more alluring than...
4. Zion - excellent, but shorter than the other 3, and generally short for his position, whereas all the other 3 are tall for their positions

I think you draft potential, and I think Ben coming out of college looked to have more potential than Zion. Oden had massive hype coming out of college. I think that's been forgotten with time, and the fact that his career never got to where it could have been due to injury.


Y'all are crazy if people think Simmons would have gone above Zion. Some real revisionist history going on here.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Wallace_Wallace
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,643
And1: 2,124
Joined: Jul 28, 2017
     

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#84 » by Wallace_Wallace » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:45 pm

Greg Oden and AD would be top 2 for me (toss up because AD looked more dominant with more NBA level talent), and Zion Williamson and Ben Simmons.

In the 2007 NCAAB chamionship game, it took all of Joakim Noah, Al Hortford (both future lottery picks/All-NBA/Multiple time all stars) and Chris Richards to contain Greg Oden. Although Ohio State lost to the better team, there was no question that Greg Oden was the best player on the court.
User avatar
Capn'O
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 54,499
And1: 43,516
Joined: Dec 16, 2005
Location: “That don’t always the truth”
 

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#85 » by Capn'O » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:46 pm

People are still sleeping on Zion. He's the best prospect since LeBron.

Zion
AD
Oden
Simmons

Oden and AD are a tossup but I can't unbias myself from what's happened in the league so went with AD.
BAF Clippers
PG: SGA/Rondo/Napier
SG: Middleton/Burks/Ferguson
SF: DFS/Snell/Juancho
PF: Markieff/Meyers/Vanderbilt
C: Nurkic/Gasol/Holmes

RIP Mags :beer:
"Greatness wasn't worth anything if you couldn't share it."-Kobe
GordanFreeman
Analyst
Posts: 3,613
And1: 4,372
Joined: Mar 27, 2018
       

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#86 » by GordanFreeman » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:44 pm

In terms of hype received and potential coming out of college:
1.Oden
2.AD
3.Zion
4.Simmons

In terms of value in today's NBA (coming out of college):
1.AD
2.Zion
3.Oden
4.Simmons
User avatar
King4Day
Head Coach
Posts: 6,249
And1: 3,646
Joined: Dec 11, 2010
Location: Pandora
         

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#87 » by King4Day » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:52 pm

Capn'O wrote:People are still sleeping on Zion. He's the best prospect since LeBron.

Zion
AD
Oden
Simmons

Oden and AD are a tossup but I can't unbias myself from what's happened in the league so went with AD.


With the knee issue and his minimal games played, it'll take more time for people to get behind him. He could be at the top of this list eventually, but for now, people are going with sure things.
Formerly DarkHawk
Clear.
Ballboy
Posts: 46
And1: 1
Joined: Apr 03, 2008

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#88 » by Clear. » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Oden
Zion
AD
Simmons
User avatar
JayMKE
RealGM
Posts: 19,440
And1: 6,497
Joined: Jun 21, 2010
Location: WI
     

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#89 » by JayMKE » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:00 pm

In terms of hype coming into the league it was undoubtedly Oden, Zion, AD, then Simmons.
FREE GIANNIS
J___Av
Sophomore
Posts: 139
And1: 120
Joined: Jan 14, 2020
       

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#90 » by J___Av » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:37 am

Egg Nog wrote:
J___Av wrote: Are people forgetting already how hyped Zion was this year? He was literally the most hyped player since Lebron. He would (deservedly or not) easily go #1 over anyone else


Just out of curiosity, how old are you?


31. So yeah i lived through all 4 of these guys hype. No one had close to the hype Zion had coming in since Lebron. He had by far the best college performance out of the four. Only the third freshman to win all major Player Of The Year awards (only second if you count the NABC since AD didn't win that), and the most efficient season since the NCAA started tracking.

Don't try that condescending "how old are you" ****. Add in Zion is by far the most marketable, on top of having the best college season and he is a lock to go #1 overall. Yes Oden had insane hype coming in, but everyone is exaggerating how much hype he had because his career ended up being a bust
User avatar
Egg Nog
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,012
And1: 5,203
Joined: Oct 27, 2007
Location: Vancouver

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#91 » by Egg Nog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:24 am

J___Av wrote:
Egg Nog wrote:
J___Av wrote: Are people forgetting already how hyped Zion was this year? He was literally the most hyped player since Lebron. He would (deservedly or not) easily go #1 over anyone else


Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Don't try that condescending "how old are you" ****. Add in Zion is by far the most marketable, on top of having the best college season and he is a lock to go #1 overall. Yes Oden had insane hype coming in, but everyone is exaggerating how much hype he had because his career ended up being a bust


Was literally just curious. There are loads of teenagers and people in their 20s on these boards and it makes a huge difference in perspective. Thanks for the gracious reply though.

Zion had massive hype but I do think Oden and Davis' career prospects were more highly-touted at the time. A lot of Zion's hype was his marketability and highlight reel (not to mention he already had a huge following), but there was still some question of how well it would translate. Ironically enough, Oden was considered a one-in-a-generation prospect that could anchor an entire team...and AD was probably labelled as a "can't-miss" guy more so than Zion.
J___Av
Sophomore
Posts: 139
And1: 120
Joined: Jan 14, 2020
       

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#92 » by J___Av » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:20 am

Egg Nog wrote:
J___Av wrote:
Egg Nog wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how old are you?

Don't try that condescending "how old are you" ****. Add in Zion is by far the most marketable, on top of having the best college season and he is a lock to go #1 overall. Yes Oden had insane hype coming in, but everyone is exaggerating how much hype he had because his career ended up being a bust


Was literally just curious. There are loads of teenagers and people in their 20s on these boards and it makes a huge difference in perspective. Thanks for the gracious reply though.

Zion had massive hype but I do think Oden and Davis' career prospects were more highly-touted at the time. A lot of Zion's hype was his marketability and highlight reel (not to mention he already had a huge following), but there was still some question of how well it would translate. Ironically enough, Oden was considered a one-in-a-generation prospect that could anchor an entire team...and AD was probably labelled as a "can't-miss" guy more so than Zion.


Almost all the questions about how Zion would translate was from fans that didn't watch him play and thought he was just a big guy that could jump. Annalists and scouts had few doubts besides his weight and if that could lead to injuries. Same as Oden though. Its not an exaggeration to say Zion had by far the best college season out of the 4 and that put his hype and draft stock through the roof. Watch videos of what the experts were saying about all 4 and Zions seems to be the one they were highest on. Plus if the draft is today teams are not nearly as high on players like Oden as they were back when Oden was drafted.

Plus marketability is a big part of drafting. Zion being so much more marketable than AD and Oden WOULD also factor into drafting position. GMs want to draft the guy that will fill arenas and boost ratings and Zion beats AD/Oden/Ben combined in that category.


And again, Oden was VERY hyped, but people are over exaggerating just how hyped he was because he was a big bust
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 21,112
And1: 33,053
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#93 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:42 am

I would love to hear the argument for Simmons over Zion by the few that have that. That is pretty hard for me to wrap my head around.
User avatar
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 61,997
And1: 43,904
Joined: Mar 01, 2013

Re: Greg Oden vs Anthony Davis vs Zion Williamson vs Ben Simmons 

Post#94 » by bondom34 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:58 am

Was listening to the audiobook of "Tanking to the Top" on Hinkie and the Sixers and it talks about older Sixers teams and the 07 draft. It even mentions Durant as the 2nd best player in the draft. Oden definitely had that level of hype and ability, it wasn't a questionable choice at the time to take him over Durant.
FoundANewSlant wrote:it's really fundamental defensive flaws exhibited here by Westbrook, PG, and Adams that put Melo into vulnerable positions here yet you can't recognize or explain it.

So Paul George is the reason Carmelo Anthony struggled on defense all these years...

Return to The General Board